• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
If I go on national TV and someone connects me to my Facebook, good job using google. Its not that hard.

Yes we need more Fake News and less finding out about the truth.

Good job supporting harassment of people that ask basic questions out of Bernie.

And you are going to call her question fake news?

"Ethics of asking basic questions to Bernie"

The fact that all of you are making a myriad of excuses for his without even condemning the harassment is very telling

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's only 2019 and his supporters are already showing their true colors by adopting gamergate style talking points regarding Doxxing.

None of you are slick, and you know what you are supporting
Its fucking insane. They are literally pulling "it's really about ethics in journalism, the doxxing was untended" card.

Like, really????

It doesn't matter if her Facebook is public. You shouldn't be looking up someone on Facebook because they asked a tough question and then publicly sharing screencaps of that Facebook. This is not normal behavior.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That is literally climate change denialism. Congrats!

Tell me your name and your address, and post your picture for verification, otherwise you are very likely either a Russian troll or a dishonest, paid Sanders campaign staffer. How can I trust that you are not being deceitful about who you are?
First of all it wasn't her who was being deceitful, it was a large media corporation that has a vested interested in being as punchy and interesting as possible which means potential for compromising or bending the truth. Anyone who trusts ANY media outlet full stop without verification when it comes to politics is naive.

Oct 27, 2017
Are you equating people who want more transparency in a televised political town hall involving a high profile candidate with online libs calling everyone a russian troll?

Yes that's exactly what happened.

Good job supporting harassment of people that ask basic questions out of Bernie.

Good job sticking up for Republicans in disguise!

First of all it wasn't her who was being deceitful, it was a large media corporation that has a vested interested in being as punchy and interesting as possible which means potential for compromising or bending the truth. Anyone who trusts ANY media outlet full stop without verification when it comes to politics is naive.

No no we have to trust the media 100%. Don't want to do any investigation.

All of this could've happened without TYT putting it on blast, but let's not have a nuanced discussion about that. Let's just take CNN at face value LMFAO.

Nov 20, 2017
If I go on national TV and someone connects me to my Facebook, good job using google. Its not that hard.

Knowing in retrospect, then, that I will flood your social media with messages calling you a c**t and telling you to kill yourself for asking Kirsten Gillibrand a tough question, would you still be so blase?

Are you equating people who want more transparency in a televised political town hall involving a high profile candidate with online libs calling everyone a russian troll?

Well it's even more suspect in this case, because it was CNN who 'misrepresented' these town hall questioners (not the questioners themselves), but I'm just supposed to take you at word on an online forum with 0 vetting that you are not an astroturfing shill?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yes that's exactly what happened.

A DC intern automatically makes her a Republican?

And that warrants doxxing and harassment? You know that is literally how gamergate excuses harassment right? Because the targets are their 'enemies'?

You know she supported Bernie in 2016 right?

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So...iif this isn't dozing how come they. Chose HER specifically rather than anyone else that threw relatively softballs?

Like come the fuck on

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes we need more Fake News and less finding out about the truth.
You shouldn't be looking people up on Facebook because they asked your preferred candidate a tough question. Period. Doesn't matter what you find there. Soon as you started searching her on facebook after she asked a tough question you crossed the line.

Then to then share screencaps of the facebook on a widely viewed YouTube channel? That's what we call doxxing.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...iif this isn't dozing how come they. Chose HER specifically rather than anyone else that threw relatively softballs?

Like come the fuck on
huh? they didn't? Not that this is a good thing, but we know the occupation of pretty much everyone who asked a question on that stage. this is why can was being criticized for misrepresenting who they were.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A. There is no reason to assume she is Republican.

B. Even if so, just because a college kid was Republican that doesn't make it okay to look her up on Facebook and then share screengrabs of her Facebook online!

She was harassed after that happened and had to shut down her social media and she had to go to the police to report the harassment she received.

Oct 27, 2017
You shouldn't be looking people up on Facebook because they asked your preferred candidate a tough question. Period. Doesn't matter what you find there. Soon as you started searching her on facebook after she asked a tough question you crossed the line.

Then to then share screencaps of the facebook on a widely viewed YouTube channel? That's what we call doxxing.

We can look people up on facebook because we have similar interests, because they may be applying for a job, we find them attractive, maybe because we don't like them we would look them up. As soon as someone asks a question on live tv.....You BETTER NOT DARE looking them up on Facebook!

Again, TYT shouldn't have put it on blast, but knowing what I know I'm glad I'm not still ignorant to what CNN did.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can look people up on facebook because we have similar interests, because they may be applying for a job, we find them attractive, maybe because we don't like them we would look them up. As soon as someone asks a question on live tv.....You BETTER NOT DARE looking them up on Facebook!
They looked her up to dig up dirt on her because they didn't like the question she asked. That is crossing a line.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Again, the segment was not just focused on this woman, it was focused on several people asking questions that CNN did not disclose their true professions. It is only a story because there is a pattern. If they had only focused on the woman asking about sexual harrassment, you may have a point, but the "How dare you look up info on social media about someone who asked a tough question!" is comical. Of course they can and should do that. They wouldn't have reported anything if there wasn't actually a conflict of interest, which surprise! there was.

Like come the fuck on
They didn't but the people trying to bash TYT are focusing on her because it fits a narrative.

They looked her up to dig up dirt on her because they didn't like the question she asked. That is crossing a line.
No it's not? This point is fundamentally wrong. She asked a tough question on a televised debate on a network that wasn't truthful about who she is. It's amazing that you've turned this around on people calling this out because how dare they perform a Google search.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Again, TYT shouldn't have put it on blast, but knowing what I know I'm glad I'm not still ignorant to what CNN did.

She had to report harassment to her local police and shut down all her social media.

What are you doing defending gamergate style harassment.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
lmao i see we've entered "the bots have breached the gates" levels of paranoia

Doxxing, by definition, is the public, online release of private information like cell phone numbers, home addresses, and place of work by a 3rd party. Someone's Facebook makes some of that information publicly available, but the fun thing about being a journalist, is that finding people's social media is just considered good journalism. This is not doxxing, but it is unnecessarily invasive.

Oct 27, 2017
She had to report harassment to her local police and shut down all her social media.

What are you doing defending gamergate style harassment.

I've posted this sentiment three times now. READ

lmao i see we've entered "the bots have breached the gates" levels of paranoia

Doxxing, by definition, is the public, online release of private information like cell phone numbers, home addresses, and place of work by a 3rd party. Someone's Facebook makes some of that information publicly available, but the fun thing about being a journalist, is that finding people's social media is just considered good journalism. This is not doxxing, but it is unnecessarily invasive.

Almost too thoughtful a response for this thread.

Nov 20, 2017

Why do you keep ignoring the fact that people harassed her lol. 'Unintentionally' abetting harassment is still complicity. Just admit it and stop pretending nothing wrong happened, it's part of the growth process.

Nov 20, 2017
this is the first I've heard of anyone being harassed and going to the police about it.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/american...-sen-bernie-sanders-question-during-town-hall

Moments after Nasab asked that question, FOX 5 learned that several threats online were directed toward her, which forced her to delete all of her social media accounts. We also confirmed that Nasab filed a complaint to the American University Police Department shortly after.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you keep ignoring the fact that people harassed her lol. 'Unintentionally' abetting harassment is still complicity. Just admit it and stop pretending nothing wrong happened, it's part of the growth process.
Because you can say "Wow, that's shitty that people did that" and also not question the entire process of checking who is employing people asking questions in a so-called "town hall".

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Looking people up on Google and Facebook is fine.

Posting their profiles on the internet and making them targets for online harrassment is not. A self-respecting news show with even a hint of professionalism wouldn't share those profiles and instead would be making broader statements on the issue instead of referring to specific people thus making the harrassment worse.

TYT made a mistake. CNN made a mistake. The online harassers knew what they were doing and deserve to be berated.

But I'm sick of people here using the Bernie Bro term to paint Bernie supporters with the same brush. It's clear certain people here are incessantly pushing this Bernie Bro narrative to cause drama while at the same time claiming the other side are the perpetrators and saying shit like "thanks Bernie."

I think using that term, or demeaning supporters of any other candidate by using offensive nicknames, should be banned here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I guess journalists get people to harass a private citizen to the point they shut down social media and report harassment to the police.

Just ethics in asking questions journalism right?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
"It's unfortunate that she was collateral damage, but it's worth it, because it lets me know that CNN withheld information" is a questionable position.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that a lot of Bernie supporters online are just really childish and antagonistic. iDK why. I wish they'd stop.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because you can say "Wow, that's shitty that people did that" and also not question the entire process of checking who is employing people asking questions in a so-called "town hall".
You've got someone literally being harassed and you're just happy that you found out what...? That the person harassed was not JUST a college student, but also a political intern! The town hall was set in WASHINGTON D.C. I think it's pretty obvious why CNN did what they did. They were in the place with the highest density of political employees in the country. They wanted people that would not ask random, waste of time questions. In D.C. all those people are tied to politics. So they brought them in. And, yes, CNN did wrong when they mislead by avoiding saying they're "politicians" but it wasn't like a great injustice, in fact it makes absolutely zero difference in the grand scheme of things. The questions were legitimate and real.

To quote myself:
If someone asking a legitimate question of a politician that the politician has trouble with causes you to look into their background, you're not doing it for "ethics in journalism" you're doing it, in the best case, because you want to dismiss the politician fumbling the question by pointing to a boogie-man establishment conspiracy that isn't even slightly proven by this bit, or, at worst, you're trying to get back at the questioner.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
You don't get to back down with that tame bullshit after you accused her of being a secret Republican.

This is true. The genie is out of the bottle here. However...

It's only 2019 and his supporters are already showing their true colors by adopting gamergate style talking points regarding Doxxing.

I have some problems with this statement. One is that checking for the jobs of the people that were on the town hall isnt particularly bad? Like, it probably takes a google search and checking their LinkedIn. That isnt doxxing as far as Im aware. The problem was that a bunch of Bernie"s supporters went too far with that information and actually harassed a girl, that is obviously too far. I guess the question then becomes: Did TYT expect this to happen?

and the sad part is that some useful information was adquired thanks to doing that investigation, but at a cost that I dont think was worth it.

I do disagree that "his supporters are already showing their colors" when its a minority. Its a toxic, vocal minority, sure. Sure 13 million people voted for Bernie in 2016, a thousand harassers (as bad and toxic as they are) do not represent the average voter.

I wonder if there is an overlap between GG people and Bernie supporters tho, that sounds interesting to me.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
"You are not allowed to Google people asking questions and report on a clear pattern of dishonesty" is a very questionable position.

Yeah that's 'all' they did.

Not plaster her name everywhere to get her targeted for harassment.

'Ethics In game, I mean asking questions of Bernie Journalism'

I wonder why literally none of the other candidates supporter have ever done anything remotely close to this at any townhall ever.

And Beto has one of the hardest questions and his supporter didn't harass the person That asked it

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People, flat out if you're gonna be saying this isn't doxxing, at least google the defintion:

search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.

"hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures"
AKA THIS IS DOXXING.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's incredibly irresponsible to single out an individual, focusing on their very identity of evidence as some form of duplicity. Anyone in 2019 should be fully aware that this kind of conduct will invariably lead to the person being attacked, especially in a situation like this, where it appears to vilify them to some degree.

And what for? Just to know that a town hall may be less than authentic? That someone asking a question of Bernie might not like him in a contentious primary?

"You are not allowed to Google people asking questions and report on a clear pattern of dishonesty" is a very questionable position.

Please explain to me what you feel is unethical about refraining from posting personal information, making a target out of individuals, in order to ostensibly highlight the biases of some media entity, which will almost certainly result in drawing attention to the individual over your stated goal.

Last edited:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's 'all' they did.

Not plaster her name everywhere to get her targeted for harassment.

'Ethics In game, I mean asking questions of Bernie Journalism'

I wonder why literally none of the other candidates supporter have ever done anything remotelu close to this at any townhall ever.
Yeah and come to think of it, it also literally didn't happen at any of the hundred other town halls Bernie has taken part in the past couple of years. I'm not entirely sure what connection you're trying to make here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Please explain to me what you feel is unethical about refraining from posting personal information, making a target out of individuals, in order to ostensibly highlight the biases of some media entity, which will almost certainly result in drawing attention to the individual over your stated goal.

When people decide to harass the person to the point they go to the police

Yeah and come to think of it, it also literally didn't happen at any of the hundred other town halls Bernie has taken part in the past couple of years. I'm not entirely sure what connection you're trying to make here.
And before he was never asked a question like about his campaigns sexual harassment issues.

So people excusing this like this is basic stuff that has always happened are being dishonest. It only happened here because of the question that they did not like.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Because the personal information is completely fucking relevant. The personal information, in this case, is that she is hired by a lobbying firm. It's not some unrelated info. You could literally astroturf an entire town hall or debate and no one in the media would ever be allowed to look into anyone's background?

Again, she was not the only target of their segment.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

You've based your whole premise on circular reasoning and the presumption of their goals. There was more than one person mentioned that CNN wasn't forthright about who they really are within the political class.

And no google searching a name is not a crime. It's what you do with it that is. I agree that any specifics on her or the others shouldn't be published, just that CNN is lying by omission.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
You've based your whole premise on circular reasoning and the presumption of their goals. There was more than one person mentioned that CNN wasn't forthright about who they really are within the political class.

And no google searching a name is not a crime. It's what you do with it that is. I agree that any specifics on her or the others shouldn't be published, just that CNN is lying by omission.

You can go after CNN without publishing her Infotmation everywhere so she gets harassed.

But they didn't do that, they focused on HER first and then decided to hit CNN after.

She was the main target at first, CNN was the post-harassment excuse.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I really like what he says here

It's not specifics but it's communicating his understanding of how these basic dynamics are involved and the importance of the third part.
Makes some solid parallels with his experience. Building trust. Setting the foundation to be taken seriously with some large picture understanding and then move on from but can always come back to if necessary.
He's going to be exciting to watch as this progresses. The other candidates better watch out.
Going back to listening now.
I heard about 20 minutes of this on the way to work this morning.

I don't know much else about him other than he's an openly gay mayor of South Bend Indiana, and also a Naval Intel LT.
But he was definitely a sharp, well spoken guy. I don't really know where he falls on the policy positions.

But I can appreciate a successful Midwestern Democrat saying, "We need to step away from our past approach to politics of just acting like less harmful Republicans"

I think I've listened to all the candidate interviews on PSA so far, and his was definitely the most compelling. Not only is he a great communicator, but he also seems to be approaching these questions in a way that for whatever reason, feels more effective and unique than any of the other candidates.

He's clearly very progressive, like Bernie or Warren, but conveys his points better. He also seems like a good middle ground between Bernie's ideals and Warren's focus on policy.

That's how I seem him anyway. Very excited for his town hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.