• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah nobody is going to shit on McCain.

But I'll tell you this much, there is no middle ground to reach with Donald Trump as president so somebody that says he's not going to hold Trump accountable for his words and actions isn't somebody that's going to get my vote. We don't need Beto or anybody else "McCaining" Trump.
I was thinking about this. The question of "will you pardon any of these people if you win?" has to come up in a debate and it will be interesting to see the responses.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017

I'm surprised to see Austin respond to politics here.

So the only not openly pro-McCain candidate is Gravel, right?

You're not going to accomplish a damn thing in American politics by shitting on the legacy of John McCain. Even Bernie Sanders knows that. There's millions and millions of right-leaning independents out there, and you need them to do anything. Otherwise you're just sitting on the sidelines stomping your feet.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect political candidates to shit all over mccain, but can we please stop fellating him and his whole family as icons of virtue?

8 months after his death, do we all still have to be in mourning? Jesus christ

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I was thinking about this. The question of "will you pardon any of these people if you win?" has to come up in a debate and it will be interesting to see the responses.
I know people like to complain because we don't know much of Beto's policies, but as often as he does these appearances and takes questions, several times a day it seems, I would imagine we will know as much about Beto as anybody that is running.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
McCain was terrible, but he was still a hero and did plenty of awesome things, even the ACA vote towards the end of his life.

Don't lump him with the rest of the GOP.

Jan 15, 2019
I am dying, DYING for the hot takes over out of context sound bites, arbitrary oversights, and benign mistakes to be behind us and just settle on a nominee. On twitter earlier I saw someone make a snarky tweet about Buttigieg because he stated he was the only candidate to have gone on Fox News thus far and, brace yourself for this one, he was mistaken. I can't take another day of eye-rolling over people who are so absolutely desperate to be king makers with regard to what is and isn't ok for a Presidential candidate to say or do.
It's a shame that someone so bigoted has a high favorable rating with the Dems
Maybe you said this already knowing what I'm about to say, but the vast majority of people are not nearly as tuned in to politics as us dorks who come here and talk about it every single day. His high favorability with Dems has to do with being known as "the war hero who was respectful when running against Obama and kept the ACA from being repealed" and if that is the extent of one's knowledge regarding McCain, what reason would they have to dislike him?

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
I don't expect political candidates to shit all over mccain, but can we please stop fellating him and his whole family as icons of virtue?

8 months after his death, do we all still have to be in mourning? Jesus christ
Its a a free potshot at Trump that also plays incredibly well with the general electorate. If Trump is gonna provide the opportunity, why not take the freebie.

Oct 25, 2017
On no! My preferred candidate said the opposite. Looks like I must change my mind!

Or I could just include him in this and say that he is absolutely wrong. McCain was a piece of shit.

I mean, this is good reason why candidates praise McCain. The worst that can happen is people get mildly disgruntled. No one is going to change their mind because their candidate said nice things about McCain.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
McCain was terrible, but he was still a hero and did plenty of awesome things, even the ACA vote towards the end of his life.

Don't lump him with the rest of the GOP.
I mean he was bottom rung of human decency, maybe barely, and now that he is gone, there really aren't any Republicans left even on the almost human marker. The GOP as it was died with him. It's now the Trump party. Look no further than Graham to see it's true.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe you said this already knowing what I'm about to say, but the vast majority of people are not nearly as tuned in to politics as us dorks who come here and talk about it every single day. His high favorability with Dems has to do with being known as "the war hero who was respectful when running against Obama and kept the ACA from being repealed" and if that is the extent of one's knowledge regarding McCain, what reason would they have to dislike him?

I know. I just feel that it is a shame that his image was cultivated in such a way to hide his shitty actions.

Jan 15, 2019
Its a a free potshot at Trump that also plays incredibly well with the general electorate. If Trump is gonna provide the opportunity, why not take the freebie.
Because in doing so he missed an opportunity to call a deceased Senator a proto-fascist war criminal who Donald Trump rightly despises. Really missed a chance to win over the 30-50k group of Extremely Online leftist political theorists spread across the country.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I am dying, DYING for the hot takes over out of context sound bites, arbitrary oversights, and benign mistakes to be behind us and just settle on a nominee. On twitter earlier I saw someone make a snarky tweet about Buttigieg because he stated he was the only candidate to have gone on Fox News thus far and, brace yourself for this one, he was mistaken. I can't take another day of eye-rolling over people who are so absolutely desperate to be king makers with regard to what is and isn't ok for a Presidential candidate to say or do.

political twitter rots people's brains because political twitter is almost entire a circle jerk to see who can do the pithiest dunks, facts or nuance be damned. it's not going to get better, unless people start seeing the gravel twitter account and realizing how cringe worthy that type of Sick Dunking sounds.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's like the closest thing Republicans have to Ted Kennedy. For better or worse if the GOP is going to have their modern day "principled hero" it's John McCain, but I hear where you're coming from.

Respek knuckles
No absolutely lump him in.

His ACA vote wasn't because he wanted to save the ACA but because he wanted to kill it the right waym
Yup. He didn't like the process surrounding it, but he very mich wanted it gone.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No absolutely lump him in.

His ACA vote wasn't because he wanted to save the ACA but because he wanted to kill it the right waym
Let's also not forget that he lied about what Democrats did with Obamacare "they never worked with Republicans!" as he would say Republicans need to work with Democrats even though they never did with us. He was as much of a liar as any of them about how shitty his party was and gave them all cover by making shit up.

But again I tend to agree that shitting on McCain is a great way to fall out of the primaries fast. Other than the kind of people that post in this thread, not many will appreciate it.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a freebie that requires venerating our dumb jingoistic military fetishism and actions of pre-trump republicans

Anything that feeds into our "support our troops and all military action" post-9/11 brain virus is a negative to me, even if it's about civility. I'd prefer not saying anything at all, or condemn Trumps words without raising up mccain as a beacon of light at the same time.

To be fair, Austin seems like the kind of guy who's looking for any opportunity to take a nap

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
(But for what it's worth I think there's absolutely a way to criticize Trump for his weird, out of nowhere potshot at J*hn McC**n without fellating Mr. Maverick's Corpse the way Democrats and Sanders do)

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
McCain is the absolute embodiment of the small government party losing sight of its principles long enough to be totally consumed by ultra conservatives who want to actively harm the country and open the door for authoritarians and fascists. He let Sarah Palin in the hen house. Praising/thanking him for anything other than his military service is praising the GOP that let this happen.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
(But for what it's worth I think there's absolutely a way to criticize Trump for his weird, out of nowhere potshot at J*hn McC**n without fellating Mr. Maverick's Corpse the way Democrats and Sanders do)
But if you did you'd miss out on a political plus for being friendly across the aisle.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seriously. You dont win over independents and Republicans by needlessly shitting on a dead man. While McCain did bad things, there is a public perception of him.

Yea. even Bernie recognizes that

D2R_7EYWwAEEkgz.jpg

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People in my neighborhood are breaking out their 2018 Beto yard signs and taping over the "for senate" portion.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that someone so bigoted has a high favorable rating with the Dems
It sucks but that's how the media covered him for so long. I don't think many of the candidates who are running even like him either, they are just propping him up to shit on Trump.

They've sort of been doing that with Reagan when it comes to immigration and stuff too. Like what Stacey did during the State of the union response. "Obama and President Reagan get it... why not this guy?!"

It sucks but really it comes with the territory of so much our new coalition being former Republicans who voted against the big bad mean man because he swears on the TV in front of their child.

We are basically, outside of Bernie doing a reverse labor and chasing after remain Torries instead of leave rural voters. Really I don't know what the best approach is because both seem to dance around the problems we are facing

Status
Not open for further replies.