• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
The Young Turks are severely fucking up with Gabbard. This is the second piece defending her in so many days. Read the room, guys.

edit: Maybe they're doing that since they see her as the heir apparent to Bernie, which Warren is out of the running for endorsing Hillary. I know they're desperate, but really, do that with Warren!
The fuck did i just watch. Why would they go to bat for her so hard. I mean I get the argument that the media is harsher on you the more left you go(seen recently with Tlaib) but Tulsi is not the one. I think its absolutely possible she was being honest about her transformation in 2012 on gay marriage but shes still heavily antimuslim. Really disappointed in Ana usually she and John are spot on. So glad im a patron for majority report instead.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
The fuck did i just watch. Why would they go to bat for her so hard. I mean I get the argument that the media is harsher on you the more left you go(seen recently with Tlaib) but Tulsi is not the one. I think its absolutely possible she was being honest about her transformation in 2012 on gay marriage but shes still heavily antimuslim. Really disappointed in Ana usually she and John are spot on. So glad im a patron for majority report instead.

Cenk been noticeably going off kilter the last few weeks, and since he is the boss of TYT he'd over rule Ana and anybody else who has issues with Tulsi. That's my guess. He's taken Bernie's falling out of favour with the the new status quo badly, IMO. Bernie's campaign's problems in the media may have rattled him that Bernie's done, once and for all, by next election or forcing him to not get involved.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
The Young Turks are severely fucking up with Gabbard. This is the second piece defending her in so many days. Read the room, guys.

edit: Maybe they're doing that since they see her as the heir apparent to Bernie, which Warren is out of the running for endorsing Hillary. I know they're desperate, but really, do that with Warren!
You know youre fucking up when Kyle Kulinski is more critical of Tulsi than you.

(To be fair to Kyle, he did attack Tulsi on some things).

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I need to unpack this a bit because there is a lot here. The reason Hillary was historically popular among black people was because she put in the legwork to be seen as such. Bernie did not in 2016, and has shown no evidence of doing anything sense. But even if he did somehow do that, he has bigger problems. His 2016 coalition simply does not exist in 2020. (It was three pronged: true supporters, anti-Clinton and protest voters).

There's a new set of polling of Democratic women that just came out. It's a really interesting read throughout. The polling shows Bernie has some pretty big problems with women voters as well this time. 11% of Democratic women think he would be poor or very poor on women's issues. The only candidate who comes close to those numbers is Bloomberg at 6%. In the full field he is only getting 10% of female democrats votes. He's in 5th behind Biden, Beto, Warren and Harris.) He's running 4th in 18-34 year olds, and 7th among those 65+ at a measly 4% behind Hillary. He's running 4th among white women, Black women and Latina women. 5th among Democrats, and 3rd among Independents. None of Biden, Beto, Harris or Warren supporters name him as their 2nd choice candidate (which would help him when others drop out). In favorable/unfavorable the only candidate who has a worse approval than Bernie among women is Hillary, by a very narrow result.

There are other issues too. 53% of Warren supporters in this poll voted for Bernie in 2016. Nearly 70% of Bernie's supporters in this poll did not vote in 2018, 58% are defined as low awareness voters, and only 52% of supporters in this poll voted for him in 2016.

Put simply, his base is just not there anymore. So he's entering a crowded field where he is in the hole with Black voters and women, the two largest groups of the Democratic party. The fact that he doesn't win Independents is problematic. Put simply, there is no lane to occupy which leads to securing the nomination.
Im not following he has high approval with black voters and has consistently scored well with the Naacp throughout his career on policy. Clinton is someone who was first lady then held several high level government offices through out her career. Throughout this she has reached out to PoCs which is good, but expecting an independent senator from vermont to over come those institutional and historical advantages is unrealistic in the span of a primary cycle. Could he have done better yes and will he do better going foward I dont know but its not the damning bullet its made out to be.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Cenk been noticeably going off kilter the last few weeks, and since he is the boss of TYT he'd over rule Ana and anybody else who has issues with Tulsi. That's my guess. He's taken Bernie's falling out of favour with the the new status quo badly, IMO. Bernie's campaign's problems in the media may have rattled him that Bernie's done, once and for all, by next election or forcing him to not get involved.
I think Ana wouldnt stand for that, she has enough clout to leave if he ever did something like that. I think its probably Cenks victim complex getting to her. I havent watched her show with Michael but hopefully he changed her mind.

That has to be a joke?
TYT endorsing Gabbard over Warren is just more proof they're missing some marbles.
I dont think they have. They've been pretty positive on Warren. If they actually endorse her over Warren id be shocked.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Im not following he has high approval with black voters and has consistently scored well with the Naacp throughout his career on policy. Clinton is someone who was first lady then held several high level government offices through out her career. Throughout this she has reached out to PoCs which is good, but expecting an independent senator from vermont to over come those institutional and historical advantages is unrealistic in the span of a primary cycle. Could he have done better yes and will he do better going foward I dont know but its not the damning bullet its made out to be.

That he could do this within that cycle is on Bernie, he had decades to do this and didn't bother. That's all on him. Every candidate has to reach out to all the demographics to form a coalition with the numbers to win the nomination, Hillary knew this Bernie didn't. Bernie hasn't shown he's grown much after '16, that's why this is damning. He thinks running for president is like running in Vermont.

I think Ana wouldnt stand for that, she has enough clout to leave if he ever did something like that. I think its probably Cenks victim complex getting to her. I havent watched her show with Michael but hopefully he changed her mind.

Ana is there because she wants to express her political opinions blatantly, it's a personal thing for her - otherwise she could have left for CNN or MSNBC years ago. She's gotten offers before. I get that she has clout, but it's Cenk running the TYT ship.

I dont think they have. They've been pretty positive on Warren. If they actually endorse her over Warren id be shocked.

Right now I don't them not endorsing Tulsi. Warren isn't getting this support from them, that's what's striking about this. How can they not be putting this effort behind Warren? She's the closest candidate to their ideals and they're siding with the pro-torture, pro-Modi, pro-gay conversation candidate.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is who Cenk has always been. The crappy writing about women, the Armenian Genocide stuff, being pals with Kulinski, keeping Dore on staff all this time instead of canning his obviously terrible ass, etc.

That Cenk would go hard for Tulsi is not really a surprise, it's perfectly in line with how he's behaved for the past decade+.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
That he could do this within that cycle is on Bernie, he had decades to do this and didn't bother. That's all on him. Every candidate has to reach out to all the demographics to form a coalition with the numbers to win the nomination, Hillary knew this Bernie didn't. Bernie hasn't shown he's grown much after '16, that's why this is damning. He thinks running for president is like running in Vermont.
My point is Bernie wasnt the national politician Hillary was. I honestly dont know if it was all on him given his stances on things like being independent and not accepting PAC no doubt hurt him in getting to the national stage while Hillary though very skilled politician had advantages he couldnt have. Personally i dont think he planned on running for president untill elizabeth warren declined. I really cant fault him for not campaigning outside of vermont before hand.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

So, the poll I mentioned actually showed his approval wasn't that great. And, again, approval rating does not correlate with willing to vote for that particular person. Bernie has had abysmal support among black voters. The fact is, he has done nothing whatsoever to fix that issue. It's not going to go away, and he is not going to benefit from literally being the only other candidate in the race.

But, again, Bernie sanders has been in politics for decades. It's literally the only career he has ever had. (that's not a read, there's nothing wrong with career politicians.) So, I judge his inability to build coalitions based on nearly 40 years in elected office. The problem is not that Bernie is an Independent from Vermont. The problem is he has never had to, nor has he successfully, created a coalition outside those who are already prone to support him. There is nothing in his actions, hires or behavior that indicates he has any inclination to do better going forward, since he has literally done nothing about his support among black voters since 2016.

And, my friend, if you don't think a candidate who has weakness among people of color and women isn't SOL in a Democratic primary, then....idk.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
My point is Bernie wasnt the national politician Hillary was. I honestly dont know if it was all on him given his stances on things like being independent and not accepting PAC no doubt hurt him in getting to the national stage while Hillary though very skilled politician had advantages he couldnt have. Personally i dont think he planned on running for president untill elizabeth warren declined. I really cant fault him for not campaigning outside of vermont before hand.
That's not really what Ichth is talking about though. Bernie very clearly didn't take the South seriously when he ran last time and it's why he lost. He hasn't seemed to learn this lesson at all.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Cenk is a former 90s republican just like Elizabeth Warren.
Please dont slander Warren like that =P

Ana is there because she wants to express her political opinions blatantly, it's a personal thing for her - otherwise she could have left for CNN or MSNBC years ago. She's gotten offers before. I get that she has clout, but it's Cenk running the TYT ship.

Right now I don't them not endorsing Tulsi. Warren isn't getting this support from them, that's what's striking about this. How can they not be putting this effort behind Warren? She's the closest candidate to their ideals and they're siding with the pro-torture, pro-Modi, pro-gay conversation candidate.
They are supporting Warren from what i've seen but it is weird theyre not fully backing her. Gabbard just splits the lefts ticket.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
But, see, this is again the problem. If you want to be President, you have to have support outside your selected region. If you do not, you are not going to win. You can run 90 times, but you will still not win. The argument he's not that good of a politician is kinda worrying to me. I want someone who is a good politician. I want someone who knows how to build consensus. A good idea that you cannot implement because you have no allies isn't worth much. Running for president dictates a strong national coalition of support from, hail supreme, party people. The fact that Bernie never left VT to campaign for people (until recently) is not part of the problem with his campaign, it's part of the problem with him as a candidate.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
That's not really what Ichth is talking about though. Bernie very clearly didn't take the South seriously when he ran last time and it's why he lost. He hasn't seemed to learn this lesson at all.
Ya i dont know what his political calculus was in regards to that, but im arguing for losing the PoC vote in 2016 being indicative of how well fair in 2018. He could do worse but i dont know if 2016 is representative as its made out.
But, see, this is again the problem. If you want to be President, you have to have support outside your selected region. If you do not, you are not going to win. You can run 90 times, but you will still not win. The argument he's not that good of a politician is kinda worrying to me. I want someone who is a good politician. I want someone who knows how to build consensus. A good idea that you cannot implement because you have no allies isn't worth much. Running for president dictates a strong national coalition of support from, hail supreme, party people. The fact that Bernie never left VT to campaign for people (until recently) is not part of the problem with his campaign, it's part of the problem with him as a candidate.
Fair enough but his ideas showed there was enthusiasm and regardless I think even if he loses this time hopefully he can pull the party further left on issues like standing up to israel apartheid and not voting for military budget increases.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
My point is Bernie wasnt the national politician Hillary was. I honestly dont know if it was all on him given his stances on things like being independent and not accepting PAC no doubt hurt him in getting to the national stage while Hillary though very skilled politician had advantages he couldnt have.

Indeed Bernie wasn't, the point is he should have because he certainly had the time to fix this had he tried to increase his strengths. This isn't about stances, this is about making himself a national candidate to overcome Hillary. It can be done, like with Obama, but he wasn't as adept with national politics. There was a lot he could have done to raise his profile, and have deeper ties with key demographics. This is how politicians win the nomination. There's no excuse for not doing that. He could definitely have had better skills than he had when he entered the race, he simply didn't bother working up them through his decades long career. Works for Vermont, not running for POTUS.

Personally i dont think he planned on running for president untill elizabeth warren declined. I really cant fault him for not campaigning outside of vermont before hand.

This is why he failed. You can't improv your way into the nomination, particularly against Hillary Clinton.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya i dont know what his political calculus was in regards to that, but im arguing for losing the PoC vote in 2016 being indicative of how well fair in 2018. He could do worse but i dont know if 2016 is representative as its made out.
Even before you get to his problems with outreach to black communities, simply reassembling his 2016 coalition in the absence of a singular Hillary Clinton campaign appears to be a problem because his prior coalition (lefties, socially conservative Is, young people) is all over the political map ideologically. The glue that bound it together was non-ideological anti-establishment sentiment... which is really hard to use as a binding agent when you're facing a fragmented field instead of a singular opponent.
But I thought The Blacks hated Bernie? I heard every cookout that we invoke our ancestors and curse his name.
Just because voters like someone doesn't mean they'll be willing to vote for them. They're two very different measurements. A distinction made in basically every thread where this disingenous conflation comes up.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed Bernie wasn't, the point is he should have because he certainly had the time to fix this had he tried to increase his strengths. This isn't about stances, this is about making himself a national candidate to overcome Hillary. It can be done, like with Obama, but he wasn't as adept with national politics. There was a lot he could have done to raise his profile, and have deeper ties with key demographics. This is how politicians win the nomination. There's no excuse for not doing that. He could definitely have had better skills than he had when he entered the race, he simply didn't bother working up them through his decades long career. Works for Vermont, not running for POTUS.

This is why he failed. You can't improv your way into the nomination, particularly against Hillary Clinton.
Very true, im curious as to whether he expected to win early on or just wanted to platform his pet issues. Depending on how you look at it he atleast succeeded.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Very true, im curious as to whether he expected to win early on or just wanted to platform his pet issues. Depending on how you look at it he atleast succeeded.

I disagree. If progressives ever want to be the nominee they need to stop settling for losing candidates and look for better leaders who are able to win national races. Progressives don't need vanity candidates, they need serious ones. Warren's impressed me so far, hope she's learnt from Bernie's mistakes.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
https://youtu.be/gV5JG_3_3L0

More fuel for the dumpster fire that is Tulsi.

I disagree. If progressives ever want to be the nominee they need to stop settling for losing candidates and look for better leaders who are able to win national races.
Yes, but we have to make do with what we have everyone but O'Malley cleared the field. Even if we dont win, running people like Bernie or Cynthia Nixon keeps the more center politicians honest.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yes, but we have to make do with what we have everyone but O'Malley cleared the field. Even if we dont win, running people like Bernie or Cynthia Nixon keeps the more center politicians honest.

You're still settling for losing candidates, while centrists and liberals have candidates who win their elections. They're not sending a message in their campaigns when they win they get to implement their agendas. Wouldn't you rather have candidates who do the latter? Bernie and Nixon have strengths, but they're losers in getting the progressives agenda achieved. With Nixon New York didn't need a message to "keep politicians honest" she needed to get Cuomo out of office and help clean the state from his corruptive influence. She was not the right politician for that job, she was a lamb to the slaughter.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
You're still settling for losing candidates, while centrists and liberals have candidates who win their elections. They're not sending a message in their campaigns when they win they get to implement their agendas. Wouldn't you rather have candidates who do the latter? Bernie and Nixon have strengths, but they're losers in getting the progressives agenda achieved. With Nixon New York didn't need a message to "keep politicians honest" she needed to get Cuomo out of office and help clean the state from his corruptive influence. She was not the right politician for that job, she was a lamb to the slaughter.
She was a lamb to the slaughter but she helped get rid of the IDC and from what I understand like 2016 there werent alot of people willing to go up against the Cuomo machine. The amount of money leftists have to fight against places them at a perpetual disadvantage. Going forward there will be more options given the fresh wave of left leaning people running for office. But for now running anybody is better than nobody.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
She was a lamb to the slaughter but she helped get rid of the IDC and from what I understand like 2016 there werent alot of people willing to go up against the Cuomo machine. The amount of money leftists have to fight against places them at a perpetual disadvantage. Going forward there will be more options given the fresh wave of left leaning people running for office. But for now running anybody is better than nobody.

This is a microcosm of the progressive movement - wouldn't you prefer running someone who actually won? I guarantee you progressives can get more done doing that than getting second place. Where are your champions who can do this? You want to make us sweat, show us competition which can take primaries and nominations from our candidates. Tulsi, Warren, and Bernie are not those candidates.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
This is a microcosm of the progressive movement - wouldn't you prefer running someone who actually won? I guarantee you progressives can get more done doing that than getting second place. Where are your champions who can do this? You want to make us sweat, show us competition which can take primaries and nominations from our candidates.
Well Justice dems, our revolution etc is doing that so well see if AoC was just a one off.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Well Justice dems, our revolution etc is doing that so well see if AoC was just a one off.

As of 2018 she is, we won't know until 2020 whether there are more coming - until then it's just them. AOC is a good start, but she's not the type of candidate I was suggesting the progressives send into presidential primaries, either. If she's the progressive equivalent to the Pelosi or Obama the progressives will have to wait a while before they have politicians who can tackle centrist and liberal politicians head to head evenly.

I'd rather have a progressive run that I can support that would push candidates to the left. Like Nixon and Bernie successfully did. I would have preferred if they had actually won their primaries, but that's not necessarily all I care about.

Progressives need to prioritise winning over moving the needle more than they do, or they'll be stuck with candidates who can only push the needle. Why push the needle when you can steer the ship?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a microcosm of the progressive movement - wouldn't you prefer running someone who actually won? I guarantee you progressives can get more done doing that than getting second place. Where are your champions who can do this? You want to make us sweat, show us competition which can take primaries and nominations from our candidates. Tulsi, Warren, and Bernie are not those candidates.
I'd rather have a progressive run that I can support that would push candidates to the left. Like Nixon and Bernie successfully did. I would have preferred if they had actually won their primaries, but that's not necessarily all I care about.

Jan 15, 2019

I got about a minute into that video before cringing myself to death. When Cenk went on his mini-tirade about "I'm still waiting for the hit pieces on Kamala, Beto, etc" I had to ask myself: what on earth does Tulsi support that Kamala or Beto are too moderate on? It is just based on her support for Bernie? Is it really that black and white? She is not some socialist messiah and it makes no sense from a policy position to defend her while tossing Beto or Kamala under the bus. And acting like someone can't be held accountable for something they did between the ages of 19-21? So am I to assume they gave a free pass to Kavanaugh?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
If only we had some evidence that Russia, no longer able to compete as a global superpower since they have a crap military, declining population, and economy the size of Italy, was using asymmetrical warfare to destabilize the western order (Brexit, Trump, almost Le Pen in France, etc.)....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/09/05/gerasimov-doctrine-russia-foreign-policy-215538

extremely good, and cool, to accuse literally anyone you disagree with of being a russian puppet

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
"Who's Afraid of Bernie Sanders? A Lot of Democrats, Apparently.

In the wake of Bernie Sanders's loss to Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic primary, some people argued that, as Vanity Fair put it, he "won in the end" because his race had "a profound, and lasting, effect on his party." This was not a fanciful idea. The Vermont senator's "revolution" had succeeded beyond progressives' wildest expectations, pushing the party leftward on health care, climate change, economic redistribution, and foreign policy. Since Barack Obama's ascendance, no other politician has had such a deep influence on the direction of the Democratic Party—except perhaps the sitting president.

But it's simply wrong that Sanders can no longer stand out in a race for the Democratic nomination. While it's true that most of the 2020 candidates will claim the mantle of progressivism, none exemplifies it quite like he does. In his ideology as well as his personality, Sanders still occupies a singular place in American politics. Only people who are nervous about that enduring fact would argue that it's a compelling reason for him not to seek the highest office in the land."

https://newrepublic.com/article/152913/whos-afraid-bernie-sanders-lot-democrats-apparently

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Mods please change the thread subtitle to "Everyone I don't like is a Russian Puppet"

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

In the wake of Bernie Sanders's loss to Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic primary, some people argued that, as Vanity Fair put it, he "won in the end" because his race had "a profound, and lasting, effect on his party." This was not a fanciful idea. The Vermont senator's "revolution" had succeeded beyond progressives' wildest expectations, pushing the party leftward on health care, climate change, economic redistribution, and foreign policy. Since Barack Obama's ascendance, no other politician has had such a deep influence on the direction of the Democratic Party—except perhaps the sitting president.

But it's simply wrong that Sanders can no longer stand out in a race for the Democratic nomination. While it's true that most of the 2020 candidates will claim the mantle of progressivism, none exemplifies it quite like he does. In his ideology as well as his personality, Sanders still occupies a singular place in American politics. Only people who are nervous about that enduring fact would argue that it's a compelling reason for him not to seek the highest office in the land."

https://newrepublic.com/article/152913/whos-afraid-bernie-sanders-lot-democrats-apparently

Bernie did pave a path for progressives and move the party left with '16, except the context for him isn't that clean cut. He lost decisively and only became popular once Trump beat Hillary in the general. His weaknesses remain, as he is a politician who refuses to adjust to circumstances and his career in politics is hardly one people should try to recreate step by step. No candidate who wants to change the status quo genuinely wants to wait 40 years before doing something meaningful on the national stage then get beaten by a candidate everyone knew was going to win. His legacy against the party is noteworthy, as well. Despite being an ally he's held a deep loathing for the Dems, who could be argued he sees as no better than Republicans. The progressive movement's work in his stead post '16 comes in spite of him not because of him. His staffers from the presidential primaries scattered and built organisations to maintain the left momentum he created and other more relevant candidates shake politics to the core better than he ever did, like AOC. At this stage the progressives need AOC more than they need Bernie. If he is their champion where is he? Why hasn't he started running yet? One cannot win a national race from the shadows.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The idea that believing that Sander's chances of winning the 2020 nomination are low must mean that you're afraid of him is hilariously blatant projection.

Status
Not open for further replies.