• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Bernie has been doing really good work in South Carolina recently:

Bernie Sanders offers 3 ideas to help battle gentrification while in Greenville

In Burlington, Sanders said the city subsidized construction of affordable housing that could only be sold later at a marginally higher rate. The concept has been used in Greenville communities such as Viola Street.

The other two proposals haven't been implemented here — requiring developers to provide a certain amount of affordable housing in developments, often referred to as "inclusionary zoning," and laws mandating rent control for working-class renters.

"If you want to build fancy housing, that's fine," Sanders said in reference to requiring developers to aside affordable units. "But you're going to have to build a certain amount of affordable housing."

Rent control is a concept the senator said he grew accustomed to as a child growing up in Brooklyn, New York, and is used in cities like San Francisco.

"People have a right to live in rental units that are affordable," he said.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...-affordable-housing-greenville-sc/3520397002/

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of like the relationship Hillary and Obama had in his administration.
Yeah. I don't know but don't think it'd be Harris. A black or other minority woman would be my guess and the best choice imo, but not Harris. I think Abrams, but there it'd be the opposite and instead of Sanders not wanting her it'd more be a question of if she would be willing to do that. I'm wondering if she'll decide to run or not and then if she does and does not become the nominee, then maybe she would accept VP with someone like Sanders or Warren as the nominee.

I certainly wouldn't mind any of the three in either of the positions assuming Abrams isn't having meetings with the Pelosi's of the party.

Edit again: Abrams should really run. She could almost immediately become a front runner or at least be the next Buttigieg (polling wise) imo.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah. I don't know but don't think it'd be Harris. A black or other minority woman would be my guess and the best choice imo, but not Harris. I think Abrams but there it'd be the opposite and instead of Sanders not wanting her it'd more be a question of if she would be wiling to do that.

Abrams' definitely has a shot, and has shown signs she's interested in that sort of position. Would she go with Bernie, however? That is the question.

Edit again: Abrams should really run. She could almost immediately become a front runner or at least be the next Buttigieg (polling wise) imo.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
My top choice is Beto, but if hes not a front runner I'm on the Butt wagon.

Regardless glad to see Biden dropping. Dude is too old and creepy.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Fuck rent control. Build more goddamn housing.
While I agree with the general sentiment, right now in Minneapolis, the problem we are having is, all that's getting built are fancy ultra expensive condominiums or high end apartments. No one is building with the goal of "affordable housing". So I think rent control is going to be needed sometime in the future here, prices keep going up for everyone.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I agree with the general sentiment, right now in Minneapolis, the problem we are having is, all that's getting built are fancy ultra expensive condominiums or high end apartments. No one is building with the goal of "affordable housing". So I think rent control is going to be needed sometime in the future here, prices keeps going up for everyone.
Fancy high end condos keep upper class people from moving into lower class neighborhoods and gentrifying them!

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Fancy high end condos keep upper class people from moving into lower class neighborhoods and gentrifying them!
That's not what's happening though, those fancy condos and high end apartments ARE moving into middle and lower class neighborhoods here and then our apartments are getting "converted" into more expensive places as well.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what's happening though, those fancy condos and high end apartments ARE moving into middle and lower class neighborhoods here and then our apartments are getting "converted" into more expensive places as well.
Yes, because not enough housing is getting built. If you think that the gentrifiers are gentrifying as their first choice, you misunderstand their motivations- the upper class people move into upper-middle class neighborhoods, which pushes upper-middle into middle, etc. etc. It's why the first wave of gentrification isn't rich people, it's the lower middle class moving into lower class neighborhoods.

Oct 25, 2017
Andre Gillum would be a great choice too.
I know he's not a woman, but I feel like he will be considered too

That's my top choice on nearly every ticket. Gives him clout in the Federal position and he'll be in the Senate plenty. Also puts him in better recognition spot to go back and compete for the Gov or Senate from Florida while having that profile he could also start to whip Florida Dems into shape.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
O reason to take Gillum over Abrams of you want someone outside the candidate field. Really the nominee should pick the 2nd or 3rd runner up as vp if they accept

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, man is putting in the work for the south. It'll be hard to argue he's just doing a repeat of 2016's campaign.
Yeah he's really turning it around imo. That's probably his team surrounding him at least as much as Sanders himself, but if nothing else it tells me he's picking the right people for the job. Pretty soon some of his detractors are going to have to come up with some brand new narratives to push. I admit though if he was to be attacked on anything, racial/minority issues was a big one that he needed/needs to work on.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
This may seem a bit random but I found a clip of biden talking about having to invent an israel if there wasn't any

I think i'm so done with these kinds of politcions. For me the fact that Bernie Sanders is a jewish man against the apartheid methods in which israel was created and is sustained tells me much about the man's sincerity. There's few like him in politics. Very few

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This may seem a bit random but I found a clip of biden talking about having to invent an israel if there wasn't any

I think i'm so done with these kinds of politcions. For me the fact that Bernie Sanders is a jewish man against the apartheid methods in which israel was created and is sustained tells me much about the man's sincerity. There's few like him in politics. Very few

Do you really not understand that he's not talking about the apartheid state aspect and instead the "a lot of Jewish people are understandably freaked out after the holocaust" part?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
If you had to pick one strategy as the winning one, which would it be:
Go after moderates/fence sitters, or go after non-voters/rarely voters?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Do you really not understand that he's not talking about the apartheid state aspect and instead the "a lot of Jewish people are understandably freaked out after the holocaust" part?
He says invent an israel to protect our interest in the region. What would joe biden even mean with that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He says invent an israel to protect our interest in the region. What would joe biden even mean with that.
Iranian revolution had occurred 6-7 years earlier. It's a bizarre statement, especially since S.A. effectively became what he was talking about. (US->SA, Russia->Iran has been a thing for a long long time.)
nah he's clearly referring to a colony in the middle east
This wasn't obvious from the quoted context. (don't assume people are going to watch your links.)

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
This is so much BS, not only is he dismissing criticism of unequivocally supporting a genocidal state even financially, he is also suggesting the need of colonization.

There is no way you can possibly spin that as anything other than something absolutely horrible.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you missed my question, since you still haven't clarified why you considered that such an outrageous statement.
Because the problem isn't that we don't have enough housing. Kirblar is just making shit up to fit his narrative, cherry-picking data that fits within it and stating it as fact. He does this with nearly everything he talks about.

If you actually care to look into it more, that Cities Skylines vid up above is a good start. If you want to go a little deeper I recommend reading Capital City by Samuel Stein. There's plenty of David Harvey vids out there too.

Walking around a city a bit goes a long way too. I recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.