• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's what votes are for.
The amount of votes you get is a function of your ability to campaign which is a function of your campaign warchest which is a function of your donor base.

I have a really hard time believing you don't know this as well so I can only assume you're being flippant.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait is this about the $2800 donation cap?

EDIT: No, it's about Warren kneecapping herself by having standards. Well, as much as I like Warren, it's true that she doesn't have the grassroots network Bernie does and this is just one of many reasons she's not a strong potential candidate (even if she would make a good president).

Last edited:

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you ethically shape policy when the donations that got you in to power can dry up when the rich aren't abated? Sorry, corporate and rich interests are going to take precedent if our politicians rely on them to get and stay in office. This is absolutely going to influence a politicians positions on economic issues.

These are 2700 $ donations. None of these donors have much power at all. Not to mention that these maxed out donations aren't exactly a majority of Pete's donor tally.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
People donating 2700 are not "virtual oligarchs."
These are 2700 $ donations. None of these donors have much power at all. Not to mention that these maxed out donations aren't exactly a majority of Pete's donor tally.
Individually, it's no big deal, but these bundlers are coordinating with a large network of people that will also donate $2.7k to that candidate and suddenly it's not so innocent anymore.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been a black person spotted at a Butti rally yet? I can't find any pics on google

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
if you don't think someone who maxes out donations every quarter or big time bundles don't have an undue influence on candidates you are kidding yourself

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That time that NYT jumped on Beto for counting his GE funds, which were donations above the $2800 cap. Castro, Inslee and Klobuchar counted them too. Bernie didn't earn any GE funds in his first 24 hours, or you can bet he'd have counted them. Completely manufactured controversy.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I like Pete but can we not play spot the black person?
as funny as it is to to see this stupid attack being thrown at someone else, I agree
Every quarter? 2800 is the max for primaries period.
ok my bad, you can give 2700 in the primary and another 2700 for the general election

worth nothing that spouses and other family members can donate so not exactly the hardest thing to get around

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled at why Buttigieg even thought it was a good idea to suddenly swipe at Bernie in this way - we're ages away from the primaries, he only just now got any sort of serious traction, basically none of the candidates have attacked each other at all so far, and tons of his supporters probably cross over with Bernie (not to mention right now are all incredibly white libs) so this all seems like a real miscalculation, IMO. Unless it's literally just signalling to big money donors saying "I'm not like Bernie, send money to me to stop him" but it's a pretty unsubtle way of doing it.

And yeah, it's pretty ironic that Bernie is still being considered the "divisive" one when now he's being directly compared to Trump by someone who almost certainly has a whiter base of support than Bernie does, on top of it all.

Here's where Pete says America is at the moment:
1. Trump is president
2. Bernie is really popular.

Bernie has stated that Trump won on the economy.
Bernie's popularity is largely attributed to his economic policies.

If you agree with all of the above statements, where's the swipe? He's not saying Bernie or his supporters gave us Trump, he's literally agreeing with two Bernie talking points and putting them together in one sentence.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Pete's trying to make moves now because he has no actual shot. He will fade soon and be done so he needs to make waves while the cameras are on him.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I like Pete but can we not play spot the black person?
I'm just saying his support seems to be non existent in the black community. You can't win the Dem nomination without the black community. He has time to do outreach, but it's most likely already too late for him.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
You gotta admit Beto makes a good looking pancake
He does look like a pancake not gonna lie
His alabaster skin had the same healthy sheen of the buttermilk pancake batter he was whisking. Each rapid motion of his wrist revealed the powerful corded muscle in his forearm.

"You know how they make buttermilk, don't you?", he asked with a coy smile and a frantic wave of his arms

I squirmed as the breath caught in my throat

"They churn it"

My calves cramped involuntarily

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want publicly financed campaigns.
His alabaster skin had the same healthy sheen of the buttermilk pancake batter he was whisking. Each rapid motion of his wrist revealed the powerful corded muscle in his forearm.

"You know how they make buttermilk, don't you?", he asked with a coy smile and a frantic wave of his arms

"They churn it"

Good god.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying his support seems to be non existent in the black community. You can't win the Dem nomination without the black community. He has time to do outreach, but it's most likely already too late for him.

you're not wrong but there are better ways to make that point than looking for people of color during someone's public appearances

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"They churn it"

sploosh

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He literally just broke out. It's April 2019, not April 2020. Having to do work campaigning there does not mean it's "too late" 9 months before anyone casts a ballot.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"They churn it"

tenor.gif

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He literally just broke out. It's April 2019, not April 2020. Having to do work campaigning there does not mean it's "too late" 9 months before anyone casts a ballot.
Alot would have to change for him to be able to pull that support from Kamala/Beto/Biden/Bernie. I don't see how a gay white guy from the Midwest that likes country music is going to do it.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
He likes Everlast and said he'd like Phish to play at his inauguration too.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
People donating 2700 are not "virtual oligarchs."
What percentage of the population can afford to donate $2700 to a political campaign.

How does the Primary system work? You need money to be able to run in each state.

Just say you want a system that favors wealthy people. It's okay to admit it. You have it right now.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie received a lot of $2700 donations and a few $2800 donations in his first 24 hours. The FEC files are public. You're really starting a pedantic argument when you compare who had more $2700+ donations.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What percentage of the population can afford to donate $2700 to a political campaign.

How does the Primary system work? You need money to be able to run in each state.

Just say you want a system that favors wealthy people. It's okay to admit it. You have it right now.
Public financing would be great. Without that system, I want candidates to play to win, not to play for moral purity, and I don't want people leeching off the middle/lower class.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017

"They churn it"

This is some good shit right here. Lol!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory and antagonizing commentary
What are the issues people have besides twitter trolling?

That crowd has a very nasty habit of demonizing democrats, while at the same time backing an independent running for the endorsement of the democratic party.

Theres a sense of entitlement that only the sanders crowd knows what's best for the party and the country, while at the same time doing jack fucking shit to canvass, raise funds, or otherwise assist any candidates running below the presidential level.

Local politics- your state reps, senators, city councilmen etc are absolutely crucial in how the lives of everyday people are affected but the sanders wing is nowhere to be found when it's time to put the work in to get people elected and supported.

I attended DSA meetings. Several in fact. The rhetoric is over the top nonsense about how democrats are the problem, democrats are in love with capitalism, and democrats need to be saved from themselves...presumably by sanders and his wing.

This rhetoric has not gone unnoticed, the lack of downballot support has not gone unnoticed (from Sanders AND his supporters), and consensus among the democratic base is that these people can die in a fire.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I was concentrating on the DSA meetings and didn't catch that reading it back over. I wouldn't personally go that far, but I would say that Bernie has made attempts, but they're not working out because he doesn't seem to have any sort of actual management competence, with OUR and the foundation both not really being all that effective.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't we aim to make it reality? Isn't getting big money out of our politics a plank on the Dem platform?

What we are seeing is that in increased numbers people subscribe to the idea of corporate and big money meddling in elections is hardwired biological fact (reminicient of Jordan Peterson's coolaid), an inescapable fate rather than destiny.. - that we need to cope - not resist. It transgresses pessimism, as (for the privileged white) the belief is now that in fact the alternative is not desirable.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Ah, I was concentrating on the DSA meetings and didn't catch that reading it back over. I wouldn't personally go that far, but I would say that Bernie has made attempts, but they're not working out because he doesn't seem to have any sort of actual management competence, with OUR and the foundation both not really being all that effective.

Sanders' actual downballot support has historically been TERRIBLE and receipts on this arent hard to find. I AM out and away from home so this will have to wait.

But his supporters are notorious for doing nothing in terms of local support, and worse than nothing demonizing the party re: their rhetoric.

Part of my job as ward leader is to round up people willing to canvass, work polls, and assist new voters when republicans attempt to stop them from voting.

Guess who never, ever shows up?

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
glad to see a local democratic leader displaying the famous primary impartiality that the democratic party is known for

Status
Not open for further replies.