• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Warren's portion of the event. Loved it from the moment she began with "I have a plan".

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
He whiffed on a few questions for sure, on questions specifically about women of colour. When asked what he will do to get the support of black women, he talked about the need to be united!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading someone yelled out to apologise to Clinton? Tough crowd!
That wasn't it. https://www.resetera.com/threads/20...-cancelling-college-debt.109166/post-20152503 and if you check the feed of the person Helio quoted in the prior post you'll see a little more.
I watched Sanders wag his finger at women who booed his tone deaf reply to his answer about race and gender.
I saw people trying to call it that and he was putting up a finger to ask to finish, not wagging it.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
This one wasn't really a rorschach test, the crowd was not happy at specific moments.

It is in the sense that people had different takeaways of his performance at the event. The audience also DID like some things he had say. Depending on how you want to frame it, you can focus on the good parts or the bad parts, just like in a rorschach test, you can focus on what the white space is making, or what the ink is making, and come to different conclusions.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
By following some key twitter accounts, you could probably get the answers you need.

It's not...rocket science. I see people talking about how black women are treated when it comes to medical care.

And that's just one of the many things you can pick up on. There's plenty of issues black women face that need to be addressed, and you can easily engage with them on Twitter.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
By following some key twitter accounts, you could probably get the answers you need.

It's not...rocket science. I see people talking about how black women are treated when it comes to medical care.

And that's just one of the many things you can pick up on. There's plenty of issues black women face that need to be addressed, and you can easily engage with them on Twitter.
engaging with people on twitter is the last thing anyone should do tbh

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

He routinely talks about the healthcare/medical disparities between white mothers and black mothers on the campaign trail, making the exact same points that Elizabeth Warren/Kamala Harris do about the issue. At this event specifically, he brought up the need to address the wage gap difference between white women and black women. These are issues that black women ask to be addressed and he is doing exactly that.

Not every one of his answers were good, but we need to dispense with this narrative that he's not addressing ANY of the issues that black women specifically want addressed.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
He routinely talks about the healthcare/medical disparities between white mothers and black mothers on the campaign trail, making the exact same points that Elizabeth Warren/Kamala Harris do about the issue. At this event specifically, he brought up the need to address the wage gap difference between white women and black women. These are issues that black women ask to be addressed and he is doing exactly that.

Not every one of his answers were good, but we need to dispense with this narrative that he's not addressing ANY of the issues that black women specifically want addressed.

I wasn't talking about Bernie specifically.

Just making the observation, that it's easy to connect to communities you want to reach more than ever.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
That wasn't it. https://www.resetera.com/threads/20...-cancelling-college-debt.109166/post-20152503 and if you check the feed of the person Helio quoted in the prior post you'll see a little more.

I saw people trying to call it that and he was putting up a finger to ask to finish, not wagging it.
Wow, the comments are very harsh.

I like Bernie but I really wish that he had better policies when it comes to social issues. Sure you can say "social justice and racial justice" but theres a point where, when talking to women (and especially PoC women) you need to be certain and precise.

This is an aspect in which Warren seems to be better.

This also applies to LGBT issues but tbf everyone sucks when it comes to those.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if she's just talking about his answer to kneeling.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Wow, the comments are very harsh.

I like Bernie but I really wish that he had better policies when it comes to social issues. Sure you can say "social justice and racial justice" but theres a point where, when talking to women (and especially PoC women) you need to be certain and precise.

This is an aspect in which Warren seems to be better.

This also applies to LGBT issues but tbf everyone sucks when it comes to those.

I would advise watching the entire event instead of taking tweet summaries at face value. You're not likely to be provided with an objective, comprehensive account of the event through some tweets

Many of the comments he made addressing concerns for black women were met with cheers and applause, despite people here acting like that didn't happen. Many of the questions posed were answered specifically with regards to race and gender (even if Bernie had to be prompted a few times to get to the point). It is true that some of his statements garnered unfavorable responses, but it was not the majority of them, and for the most part, the audience seemed receptive to what he was saying.

It is a sad state of affairs when I can almost never take reactions on this forum as being truly reflective of reality when it comes to these kinds of events, and always have to watch these things for myself in their entirety in order to get to the truth of the matter. I don't have time to do that all the time, and it would be nice to know that when someone posts something here, I can generally trust it as being true, but that's just not the case.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
The amount of bombast between Biden and Trump will be a sight to behold. Fight fire with fire, I guess.

The fate of the world coming down to a criminal reality TV star and a handsy former Vice President. I wish MTV still did Celebrity Deathmatch.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
definitely not as bad as she could be but has largely been silent on the tough stuff

to be fair man the biggest cheer he got here was what he'd do if he loses

Which is good because he very easily could've given an unsavory answer to that question considering how concerned people are about him dividing the party.

His closing statement had enthusiast applause as well:

The audience also seemed to really like his alternative to packing the court (he suggested rotating out the justices to the appeals court after 12 years or so):

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

A millionaire carrying his own luggage. Somebody tell this man he has money!!

Bernie's not flinching on this issue. Good to see.

EDIT:

Someone on reddit transcribed Bernie's responses from She The People, denoting how the audience responded to each statement:

we have got to recognize the severity of [gender based violence]... not only specific plans & programs, it means a fundamental change in the culture of this country [Cheering]... safe in the workplace... on campus. Anybody who rapes or harasses will understand that there will be a severe penalty... [Cheering]​
say in the constitution of the United States that: 'Women are equal to men. End of discussion.' [Cheering]​
a number of policies:​
  • not accept discrimination in the workforce
  • end the absurdity of women in general making .80 cents on the dollar, and minority women making a whole lot less than that
  • open the doors of educational opportunity
  • end the burden of outrageous levels of student debt
    [Cheering]
I will appoint Supreme Court Justices, and nominate Justices all across the board, who will represent the needs of people of color...​
what we can do... after perhaps 12 years or so Supreme Court Justices then rotates to an appeals court. [Cheering]​
I hope to have my fellow candidates support me if I win... if I do not win, I will do everything I can to make sure the Democratic candidate becomes the next president [Cheering]... this is a time to stand together in the fight not only defeat Trump and his sexism, racism, & homophobia, this is a time for the people of America to come together for economic justice, social justice, racial justice [Cheering & a yelled question]​
Black women will be an integral part of what our campaign and administration is about.​
Q: "What do you believe is the federal government's role to fight against the rise of white nationalism and white terrorist acts, and how do you plan to lead on that in your 1st year as president?"

We have got to make it clear that the type of demagoguery we are seeing from the Trump administration is not what this country is about. I will do everything that I can to lead this country in a direction that ends all forms of discrimination: racial discrimination, gender discrimination...​
comprehensive immigration reform and a path towards citizenship [Cheering]...​
  • health care as a right [Cheering]
  • Medicare For All [Cheering]
When we talk about minority communities, when we raise that minimum wage to a living wage [shouted question]...​
I was at the March on Washington... As somebody who actively supported Jessie Jackson's campaign... I have dedicated my life to the fight against racism and sexism and discrimination of all forms...​
as president... at the top of our agenda is ending discrimination... by using the bully pulpit and legislation... doing hate crimes, that person will pay a very heavy price indeed... [Cheering and shouted question]​
Trump is a cowardly authoritarian president [Cheering and question]... demagogs in Europe and in this country have always done: scapegoat, you go after:​
  • immigrants
  • people of color
  • minorities
Our foreign policy will not be as the current one is: to support authoritarian bigots [Cheering and question]​
Q: In your 1st 100 days what could you do, would you do to indicate your support and center the leadership of women of color, particularly from the states represented in this room [mostly south and southwest]?

My administration will look like America [some clapping]​
Q: Why should women of color, Black women, choose you? [shouted questions]

I would ask of people a couple of things. Look at my record, and look at what I have campaigned on... 4 years ago it was not a popular idea to say that we have got to take on a broken, racist criminal justice system and bring about real criminal justice reform... 4 years ago I said that we have to end the war on drugs and legalize marijuana. We've come a long way in 4 years [shouted question] the major national security crisis facing America? Climate change [Cheering]...​
massive levels of racial disparities in that exists in this country. It's not just that we need health care for all people. It's the fact that we need to address that:​
  • Infant mortality in the African American community is 2.5x what it is in the white community
  • White families have 10x the wealth of Black families
  • African Americans get arrested far more frequently...
in the midst of all of that wealth and income disparity at a national level, we have racial disparities as well: so our campaign is 2 fold:​
  1. Taking on the big money interests:
  • Wall Street
  • Insurance companies
  • Military-Industrial-Complex [Cheering]
  • Prison-Industrial-Complex... [Cheering]
2. Understanding that we cannot transform this country unless millions of people: Black, White, Latino, Native America, Asian American, stand up and take on the very powerful greedy special interests who dominate the economic and political life of this country.​
Thank you very much. [Cheering]​

I think it's very clear that Bernie's performance at the event was not nearly as bad as some people made it out to be.

Last edited:

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Damn Warren crushed that She the People. God, she's awesome.
Bernie did great, too.

Done with Kamla Harris (never really a fan)
Beto did better that I expected but I dunno, I still don't think he's the guy.

It is a sad state of affairs when I can almost never take reactions on this forum as being truly reflective of reality when it comes to these kinds of events, and always have to watch these things for myself in their entirety in order to get to the truth of the matter. I don't have time to do that all the time, and it would be nice to know that when someone posts something here, I can generally trust it as being true, but that's just not the case.

Wow. Great dog whistle you got there.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
You know, since we're talking about women.

I saw some concern being brought up by sex workers on Twitter, because Warren was opposed to them having bank accounts. Something about FOSTA/CESTA?

Gosh, I wish I'd saved the links to the tweets. Does anyone have any idea what that could be about?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

this is surreal to the point that it makes me feel kind of uncomfortable

like, you're in the 80s, please stop pretending that you know anything about instantaneous communication

You know, since we're talking about women.

I saw some concern being brought up by sex workers on Twitter, because Warren was opposed to them having bank accounts. Something about FOSTA/CESTA?

Gosh, I wish I'd saved the links to the tweets. Does anyone have any idea what that could be about?

yeah, wouldn't it be nice if Twitter had a strong culture of emphasizing context

they're talking about this:

Senator Warren, replying to an inquiry from Philly Weekly, replied that "This bill is about bringing together experts to discuss ways we can stop the forced labor and sexual exploitation of 25 million innocent children and adults. It targets the organized criminals who use our banking system to prop up this modern slavery."

"Human traffickers make money off of selling human lives, make a profit of $150 billion a year, and then launder that money through financial institutions," added a spokesperson from Senator Warren's office. The EBHTA "adds money laundering to the conversation about human trafficking."

Some sex workers are skeptical of this proposed legislation, citing the effects of FOSTA-SESTA, a pair of bills that recently became law. FOSTA-SESTA was also presented as a means to combat human trafficking online but law enforcement say it has made it harder to find trafficking victims, and sex workers say it has made their lives more dangerous. It is now being challenged in court for its massive changes to privacy policies and free speech online.

Because existing law does not distinguish between consensual sex work and coerced or forced trafficking, sex workers are nervous about being financially targeted by EBHTA, even if that is not the stated goal of the bill.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense. My post was a critique of how misrepresentative hot take summaries on Twitter/resetera, etc. can be without proper context. As a black person myself, there is precisely ZERO reason to use racially coded language against myself.
What dog whistle? A plurality of Sanders critics here are white.

stillwrapped seems to be holding a grudge about the common criticism of Yang in this thread. He's not serious about these dogwhistling accusations.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow wtf with this dog whistling garbage? I've seen that twice now today and twice I've been baffled at wtf these posters are even talking about. Is there a handy dog whistle list somewhere? What a joke.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Wow wtf with this dog whistling garbage? I've seen that twice now today and twice I've been baffled at wtf these posters are even talking about. Is there a handy dog whistle list somewhere? What a joke.
It's one poster. He threw a fit a while ago because people were pointing out Yang's dogwhistling and now he's transparently trying to shit up the thread.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Warren's She the People segment was rather awesome... She started so strong and built that crowd up for the duration of her talk. Inspiring, especially on the question of electability..

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

After seeing this, I think Bernie actually has the potential to shift the overton window on this issue. I'm impressed.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

After seeing this, I think Bernie actually has the potential to shift the overton window on this issue. I'm impressed.

That's the most impressive thing about him imo. He makes me think and I (usually) end up agreeing with him when I do.

On the felon voting, just a few days ago I couldn't have cared less if a violent offender had their right to vote taken away. But now I realize that take wasn't seeing the real issue there. He made me look at the bigger picture and now I'd say I agree with his stance. I liked his "end of discussion" tweet about it too lol.

Edit: and I know a couple of people with that exact attitude (that it doesn't matter who's running things. It's all the same etc). He should keep saying stuff like that. Get these people angry like they should be and get them interested and off their asses to go vote.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.