• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can't claim to care about black issues, have a record of horrible incarceration of poor black and brown families and then say a bunch of platitudes and expect to get taken seriously just because you look like me.

There is literally no one in America who did more to reduce incarceration of minorities and stand up against police unions than Kamala Harris during her time in SF and Sacramento. She was widely regarded as one of the most progressive voice on criminal justice reform in the nation, taking a ton of heat from the rest of the Democratic party for being too lenient on criminals and too harsh on police. Civil rights activists across the country used her and her reforms as an inspiration to improve their own communities.

The retconned narrative about Copmala and throwing parents in jail is ridiculous.

FWIW, I much prefer Bernie and eWarren, but that's because Kamala is still a centrist Democrat on economic and foreign policy issues.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with all of those except this one:
- Straight ppl who dream gay men are as sexless & dull as they are
Buttigieg is not "dull". He's a veteran polyglot who went to Harvard. I'm pretty sure this is a big reason why people like him. He exudes "dutiful intellectual", which liberals love in their leaders.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ivy league bros who "love languages" (ie learn a few phrases from multiple languages) are the most pandering, white, faux intellectuals around, speaking from personal experience.

Dimmle

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally no one in America who did more to reduce incarceration of minorities and stand up against police unions than Kamala Harris during her time in SF and Sacramento. She was widely regarded as one of the most progressive voice on criminal justice reform in the nation, taking a ton of heat from the rest of the Democratic party for being too lenient on criminals and too harsh on police. Civil rights activists across the country used her and her reforms as an inspiration to improve their own communities.

The retconned narrative about Copmala and throwing parents in jail is ridiculous.
Is there a good digest where I can read about her criminal justice reform work? I have no idea what to think about her record because I feel like I can't find a straight story on it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
getty_460205936_2000122420009280110_209306.jpg

Yeah, i totally forgot about Booker. And that's pretty much all i have to say about him.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Bennet so does not have a lane in this primary. His good election results are all results of the Colorado GOP being a joke. Only Gardner has found a way to both navigate both the republican primary and the general without looking like a talk radio caller. It's given Bennet a much bigger profile and ego than is due.

It's not like we're lacking in centrists who complain about civility.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh right, I forgot he entered the race so late. But according to that data, he was #1 in the polls within a month of his actual announcement, so it's not like he was actually at the low tier for any real length. Going by that precedent, it's harder to imagine anyone outside of the top 6 right now breaking out if they haven't at this point.
The debates are a huge determiner of who will sink versus who will swim, there was no reason to think Jeb would do as poorly as he did, similar to where Biden or Bernie stand now. That being said, Trump did plan his announcement right before debates started and was able to amplify his momentum by doing what he does best on stage. There are no obvious parallels here, but still, sometimes things change. I think even Bill Clinton polled super low at the start in '92, and Jimmy Carter came out of complete obscurity.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
There is literally no one in America who did more to reduce incarceration of minorities and stand up against police unions than Kamala Harris during her time in SF and Sacramento..

Yeah sure.

Is that before or after she made fun of busting parents for truancy?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opinion/kamala-harris-criminal-justice.html

I'm not a nuclear energy fan but this seems ... unwise.

Forbes attempting to bust Sanders of all people of being supportive of fossil fuel companies? lol.

Seems as unwise as trying to call out his private jet use.

The article actually says that he attempted to kill the nuclear deal so that they would reinvest it back into green energy, but that's not what happend. He didn't have anything to do with the decision of what energy replaced the nuclear deal however, so the headline and lead in are naturally transparent trying to tie the guy to dirty energy.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pete would be a great Press Secretary. Maybe even remarkable.

I'd really like whoever wins the primary to offer the others potential jobs where applicable. You could make a real GE tour de force platform with all those running.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Bernie isn't great on nuclear but pretty much no one is. Even our socdem messiah, AOC, probably feels "nuclear" is radioactive.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Forbes attempting to bust Sanders of all people of being supportive of fossil fuel companies? lol.
It's more that he wants to phase out nuclear plants across the country, for seemingly ideological reasons as Kirb alluded to. If that leads to an increase in emissions, it's not really helping the fight against climate change!

On Fox TV, Sanders confirmed that he wants to "phase out" America's nuclear power plants, which provide 54 percent of America's low-emissions electricity.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In a just world articles like that would dissuade purity tests.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a good digest where I can read about her criminal justice reform work? I have no idea what to think about her record because I feel like I can't find a straight story on it.

Read anything written prior to 2016 rather than hit pieces written during this campaign season. You can even go back to earlier versions of her Wikipedia page (or just look through the first few sections, early life through her DA and AG positions, before her presidental campaign bits).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris

https://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier...prise-call-for-death-penalty-puts-3313728.php

https://www.scpr.org/news/2010/11/30/21431/kamala-harris-promises-reform-her-first-news-confe/

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/29/...top-cop-in-the-era-of-black-lives-matter.html

Again, not my preferred candidate, but let's ding her for valid reasons.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've known for some time "policy wonk" was a meaningless term ever since it was applied to Paul Ryan.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It's more that he wants to phase out nuclear plants across the country, for seemingly ideological reasons as Kirb alluded to. If that leads to an increase in emissions, it's not really helping the fight against climate change!

I don't really think wanting to reduce nuclear on the basis of it being a radioactive hazard is as much ideological as it is practical. The theory is that if you invest in the cleaner green energies then the need for fossil fuel and nuclear is reduced. The goal is primarily to scale up green energy investments as you decrease investments in coal, nuclear and natural gas. We dont have a governmental body that is actually prioritizing such investments as of now on a broad scale, so it of course will simply lead to the monopolistic dirty energy companies swallowing up the rent space.

But i get the thrust of the intent.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the whole thread:

Does anyone think for a MINUTE that the white gay editors at NY Magazine & white gay donors filling the coffers of THE MAYOR OF SOUTH BEND, INDIANA would give a second look at Pete if he wasn't a norm core, Mitt Romney lookalike, "boy next door"? This whole "campaign" is absurd!
This is fucking gross. So of course you like it, you like anything that will actively shit on any sort of non-class identity, because you think they're all fake,.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

A couple of decades of this kind of stuff stays with you. Fear of nuclear war was the fear of terrorists of the 20th century.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
n2EBla6.png

https://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-national-gop-primary

He started at the bottom yes. You're probably thinking of the time frame between August and December which is when the pundits were in denial.

Can anyone explain how this happened? Like...did Trump just rise to superstardom within the Republican Party because he was a populist?

I don't even want to accept that because it means at least half of America is just...bad.

I agree with all of those except this one:

Buttigieg is not "dull". He's a veteran polyglot who went to Harvard. I'm pretty sure this is a big reason why people like him. He exudes "dutiful intellectual", which liberals love in their leaders.

In this context, he is being compared to other queer men. He is an extremely sanitized version of the gay experience.

And that's fine. Gays are a spectrum of people that act differently. To point to any one queer person and say "THIS IS WHAT BEING GAY IS" would be misguided. But the point that's being made here, is that a big part of his acceptance is because his presentation/public persona is more agreeable to cisgender/straight peoples.

And before anyone comes at me, this doesn't mean he's "not gay enough". Whatever that means.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain how this happened? Like...did Trump just rise to superstardom within the Republican Party because he was a populist?

I don't even want to accept that because it means at least half of America is just...bad.
Yes, he ran to the left of the GOP on economics (conning them as he immediately abandoned all those promises upon taking office), he ran as a Euro Le Pen style populist type, which we don't see in the US very much but is all over Europe because that upper left quadrant in the social/econ political compass is filled with a ton of people. In the US, they end up the O>T style swing voters.

And yes, a big chunk of America is just bad. That is the problem. There are a LOT of terrible people.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the main thing is the way tv networks gave him hundreds of millions of dollars in free coverage. cnn was non-stop trump for most of 2016 because it made them a lot of money.

the other thing is that he constantly threw red meat at the most hardcore assholes in the party, and having that rock-solid base tipped him over the edge. the rest of the republican vote either held their nose voting for him (this was a very very small number) or just didn't care that he's a massively corrupt bigot.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But the point that's being made here, is that a big part of his acceptance is because his presentation/public persona is more agreeable to cisgender/straight peoples.
That's fair enough i guess.

Yes. By my reckoning, Trump activated a section of the American electorate that was basically always there but never had their honest, outspoken champion until Trump. Other perspectives, like Michael Moore's says that the Trump base was primed for action in the last few decades owing to the decline of the previously prosperous "middle class".
Well maybe it's because he's said (correctly) that the Clintons' support of NAFTA helped to destroy the industrial states of the Upper Midwest. Trump is going to hammer Clinton on this and her support of TPP and other trade policies that have royally screwed the people of these four states. When Trump stood in the shadow of a Ford Motor factory during the Michigan primary, he threatened the corporation that if they did indeed go ahead with their planned closure of that factory and move it to Mexico, he would slap a 35% tariff on any Mexican-built cars shipped back to the United States. It was sweet, sweet music to the ears of the working class of Michigan, and when he tossed in his threat to Apple that he would force them to stop making their iPhones in China and build them here in America, well, hearts swooned and Trump walked away with a big victory that should have gone to the governor next-door, John Kasich.

The Last Stand of the Angry White Man. Our male-dominated, 240-year run of the USA is coming to an end. A woman is about to take over! How did this happen?! On our watch! There were warning signs, but we ignored them. Nixon, the gender traitor, imposing Title IX on us, the rule that said girls in school should get an equal chance at playing sports. Then they let them fly commercial jets. Before we knew it, Beyoncé stormed on the field at this year's Super Bowl (our game!) with an army of Black Women, fists raised, declaring that our domination was hereby terminated! Oh, the humanity!

Half of America is just bad. Coming to terms with this was the thing that radicalized me.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Seems as unwise as trying to call out his private jet use.

The article actually says that he attempted to kill the nuclear deal so that they would reinvest it back into green energy, but that's not what happend. He didn't have anything to do with the decision of what energy replaced the nuclear deal however, so the headline and lead in are naturally transparent trying to tie the guy to dirty energy.
Attempting to kill off nuclear power plants will ALWAYS result in more fossil fuel emissions, because at minimum you'll be replacing most of the energy with natural gas.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Read the whole thread:

So this supposed to be a critique of the people that support him rather than the candidate himself, right? Making sure I'm reading their intent properly.

I never see the point in musing about the hypotheticals of an individual being a different identity. Of course Pete would be a different person who likely would've had many different experiences if he was born differently.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Oh good, signal boosting more homophobic attacks on Buttigieg from the usual suspects.

I know Jordan Peterson has devalued the meaning of having a doctorate, but I wouldn't discount what a queer black man with a PhD in American studies has to say on the matter.

And I wouldn't call it homophobic either.

He looks like someone I would probably block on Grindr tbh.

Y'all play too much 💀

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Jordan Peterson has devalued the meaning of having a doctorate, but I wouldn't discount what a queer black man with a PhD in American studies has to say on the matter.
When what he has to say is to attack other minorities, yeah, he can fucking shove it.

There are a lot of issues with race intersecting with the gay male community. That doesn't make what he wrote ok.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017

This is nice to see from Buttigieg, one thing I am still uncertain on with him is how interventionist he'd be with his background.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And I wouldn't call it homophobic either.
Expecting queer people to meet some standard of sexual exoticism as the holder of that twitter account does is homophobic and fucked up.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is this supposed to be a critique of the people that support him rather than the candidate himself, right? Making sure I'm reading their intent properly.

I never see the point in musing about the hypotheticals of an individual being a different identity. Of course Pete would be a different person who likely would've had many different experiences if he was born differently.
Its a critique of how whiteness overwhelms all else, where the acceptable display of queerness is dictated by white culture, where white is the default that other displays are compared to.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a critique of how whiteness overwhelms all else, where the acceptable display of queerness is dictated by white culture, where white is the default that other displays are compared to.
No, its not. Not when you're actively shitting on people for having a "boring sex life." This is garbage fueled by resentment and hate.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, its not. Not when you're actively shitting on people for having a "boring sex life." This is garbage fueled by resentment and hate.
It does make me wonder what the expectation is for that point. Well, these two points in particular:
  • White gay men who are sexually boring
  • Straight ppl who dream gay men are as sexless & dull as they are

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does make me wonder what the expectation is for that point. Well, these two points in particular:
He just wants to shit on other people who are different than him, no different than gamer-gatekeepers who attack other people for not enjoying a product in the same manner they do.

There's nothing wrong with being married, monogamous raising kids just as there's nothing wrong with two people in an open relationship who both hook up with anonymous strangers regularly. (I know gay examples of both.) But he sees the former as inherently worse than the latter.

Oct 26, 2017

This is nice to see from Buttigieg, one thing I am still uncertain on with him is how interventionist he'd be with his background.

A lot of places need free and fair elections but I doubt Venezuela is the place democracy could thrive at the moment, the only way that could be achieved quickly is through heavy foreign intervention, and the only way to do that is through invasion or backing a coup. I don't think Maduro is going anywhere without some form of intervention unless there is a massive popular revolt. Not trying to support Trump's approach to that, but this is just posturing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of places need free and fair elections but I doubt Venezuela is the place democracy could thrive at the moment, the only way that could be achieved quickly is through heavy foreign intervention, and the only way to do that is through invasion or backing a coup. I don't think Maduro is going anywhere without some form of intervention unless there is a massive popular revolt. Not trying to support Trump's approach to that, but this is just posturing.
The big reason that the current tactics are aimed at creating a military coup internally in the administration (which is how Maduro has retained power) is because of the desire to avoid a civil war.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

A couple of decades of this kind of stuff stays with you. Fear of nuclear war was the fear of terrorists of the 20th century.

It's funny because that was the time period with the most nuclear growth. The people who most fear nuclear are the ones who grew up with fear of terrorists (Remember all that terrorists getting "DIRTY BOMBS!" scare stuff?)

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny because that was the time period with the most nuclear growth. The people who most fear nuclear are the ones who grew up with fear of terrorists (Remember all that terrorists getting "DIRTY BOMBS!" scare stuff?)
Quelle irony.

But yeah I remember now. Anti-nuclear fever was revived by the War on Terror and now we have to live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.