• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So are you saying you just made that up or...?

Sure, I'll admit that parenthetical aside was a bit of a stretch (lamenting Buchanan falling out of favor is not the same as praising him). But it's not nearly as much of a stretch as your fundamental claim that writing an essay about Bernie for a contest makes Pete progressive.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'll admit that parenthetical aside was a bit of a stretch. Not nearly as much as your fundamental claim that writing an essay about Bernie for a contest makes Pete progressive, though.
It's not "a bit of a stretch." It's a willful misrepresentation that you put forth, I'm guessing, to advance an argument in absence of having anything of substance to use. You lied to make your case.

I never said whether Pete is a "true progressive" or not nor did I posit that his essay was proof that he was. I'm not the gatekeeper of what a "true progressive" is and neither are you.

I was arguing against your bizarre, unfounded and offensive statement that Pete would be hanging with Mike Pence if he weren't gay.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Ready or not, the US shouldn't have another war crime denier and anti-whistleblower in command.

If not for his sexuality, Pete would be chumming it up with Pence and the right.
This is ridiculous. Pete has said multiple times that Republican politicians do not act in good faith and that Democrats shouldn't act like they do. He's frequently criticized dems from the left. His whole fucking deal with his campaign is reforming political structures so that Republicans and the right aren't so overrepresented across the system. If anything Sanders is the one more likely to try the rubbing elbows with Republicans approach.

His position on healthcare isn't as good as Sanders, but it's not bad and would ideally get to the same place. His position on Israel and whistleblowers is disappointing like Obama, but so is everyone not Sanders (who's also not perfect there). His college position is disappointing, but not awful. Every other aspect, he's as far left as anybody in politics it seems.

He's been more open to a UBI than most who aren't Yang, him and Inslee are the only two making climate a legislative priority, he's been backing Sanders/Warren tax policies, and he's the most radical (much more so than Sanders) in actually promoting systemic changes in every level of government necessary for the next president (AOC or someone like her) to be able to actually pass a DemSoc agenda in America.

On net balance, he's easily the third most left candidate behind Warren and Sanders. But not a single candidate's agenda sets the stage better for a successful AOC presidency.

I'd probably rank Warren and maybe Sanders ahead of him personally right now, but he's definitely top three and some of the attempts to smear anyone who isn't Sanders as being a corporate shill sellout are getting tiring already. Sanders may very well win my primary vote, but not everyone else is completely awful.

Last edited:

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily cast doubt on how progressive Pete really is, but acting like he's some secret Republican is absolutely absurd.

Apple

Oct 27, 2017
This is ridiculous. Pete has said multiple times that Republican politicians do not act in good faith and that Democrats shouldn't act like they do. He's frequently criticized dems from the left. His whole fucking deal with his campaign is reforming political structures so that Republicans and the right aren't so overrepresented across the system. If anything Sanders is the one more likely to try the rubbing elbows with Republicans approach.

His position on healthcare isn't as good as Sanders, but it's not bad and would ideally get to the same place. His position on Israel and whistleblowers is disappointing like Obama, but so is everyone not Sanders (who's also not perfect there). His college position is disappointing, but not awful. Every other aspect, he's as far left as anybody in politics it seems.

He's been more open to a UBI than most who aren't Yang, him and Inslee are the only two making climate a legislative priority, he's been backing Sanders/Warren tax policies, and he's the most radical (much more so than Sanders) in actually promoting systemic changes in every level of government necessary for the next president (AOC or someone like her) to be able to actually pass a DemSoc agenda in America.

On net balance, he's easily the third most left candidate behind Warren and Sanders. But not a single candidate's agenda sets the stage better for a successful AOC presidency.

I'd probably rank Warren and maybe Sanders ahead of him personally right now, but he's definitely top three and some of the attempts to smear anyone who isn't Sanders as being a corporate shill sellout are getting tiring already. Sanders may very well win my primary vote, but not everyone else is completely awful.

This is a good post.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I posted Pete's own interviews a few pages back. Here's a sampling, with no commentary from me:
Cool, so just to be clear, you're comfortable sticking with:
-Lying to make your case
-Saying that Pete would be hanging with Pence if he weren't gay
-Misrepresenting what I said in order to create a bullshit straw man

Great.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool, so just to be clear, you're comfortable:
-Lying to make your case
-Saying that Pete would be hanging with Pence if he weren't gay
-Misrepresenting what I said in order to create a bullshit straw man

Great.

Keep defending Pete's regressive statements and policies by attacking my tone and asides instead of dealing with the issues. Okay. I'm out, you win.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
This is fucking ridiculous. Pete has said multiple times that Republican politicians do not act in good faith and that Democrats shouldn't act like they do. He's frequently criticized dems from the left. His whole fucking deal with his campaign is reforming political structures so that Republicans and the right aren't so overrepresented across the system. If anything Sanders is the one more likely to try the rubbing elbows with Republicans approach.

Williamson is campaigning in support of UBI.

Her initial reaction was strong support.

Then she did a campaign call interview with Yang soon after.

And added UBI to her campaign website few weeks after that.
marianne2020 said:
1. IMMEDIATE CASH RELIEF WITH A UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME: Under my plan, the federal government will pay $1,000/month Universal Basic Income to all American adults aged 18-65. This will provide immediate cash relief to those who need it. It will give people a small but reliable stream of income. It will create a floor so no American needs to be hungry. It will also provide a big stimulus to the economy as people spend this money on food, clothes and other essentials. This Universal Basic Income will cover all adults until they reach the age for Social Security.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep defending Pete's regressive statements and policies by attacking my tone and asides instead of dealing with the issues. Okay. I'm out, you win.

Calling you out for lying is "attacking your tone"?

Questioning your bizarre assertion that if Pete weren't gay he would be an arch conservative hanging with Pence is "attacking your tone"?

Pointing out your straw man is "attacking your tone"?

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still find it suspect that 34% of Pete's donations were over $200. Beto had 98% of his donations under $200. Pete also seems more concerned about going on TV and meeting with big money donors than actually going out and talking to normal people. That could change I guess though.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I still find it suspect that 34% of Pete's donations were over $200. Beto had 98% of his donations under $200. Pete also seems more concerned about going on TV and meeting with big money donors than actually going out and talking to normal people. That could change I guess though.
No, 34% of his funds were from those donations, not percent of individual donors. He just reported his numbers differently than the rest. His average donation was actually smaller than Beto and he recieved over $2 million less, despite having comparable numbers of donors. Beto actually benefited more from big donations than Pete did, but Harris dwarfed both of them in that regard I believe.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, 34% of his funds were from those donations, not percent of individual donors. He just reported his numbers differently than the rest. His average donation was actually smaller than Beto and he recieved over $2 million less, despite having comparable numbers of donors. Beto actually benefited more from big donations than Pete did, but Harris dwarfed both of them in that regard I believe.
Ah thanks for the clarification. Beto had about 20k more donors didn't he? Also that was only 2 weeks for Beto vs almost 3 months for Pete. Still impressive numbers for Pete. Beto can easily be surpassed by Pete if he keeps getting all the media attention. The feud with Pence is like a gift to him

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i dont want any 'spiritual' people anywhere near the government ideally. don't understand why anyone would like or vote for williamson personally

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Donald Trump is the arsonist who gets the credit for putting out the fire," O'Rourke, a 2020 presidential contender, said in an interview with CNN's "Axe Files" set to air Saturday.

"He is going to cause worse out-migration and asylum seeking from Central America by cutting off all U.S. aid, and then he wants to be the person who gets the credit for stopping it," he added, in a clip released by the network.

"What we need is someone who will not play games or politics with people's lives or the security of this country, but will invest in the smart decisions and policies like investing in Central America to stop the outflow before it even begins," O'Rourke said.

"We can try to address these problems at the U.S.-Mexico border with walls or open arms or we can address them in the countries of origin before they ever become a problem, and that's what I want to do," he said.
Via The Hill. At least it seems like he's starting to directly engage the MSM.

Last edited:

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Ah thanks for the clarification. Beto had about 20k more donors didn't he? Also that was only 2 weeks for Beto vs almost 3 months for Pete. Still impressive numbers for Pete. Beto can easily be surpassed by Pete if he keeps getting all the media attention. The feud with Pence is like a gift to him
Yeah, that sounds about right. I'd be happy with either, really. Beto has surpassed Kamala to take my 4th spot.

Warren is my fave, but I still do get doubts about her beating Trump. My top 3 are very fluid and not set in stone right now. But I will say that Pete, and now Warren's, push to change the systems which have been handicapping the left is a top priority for me, as it makes it incredibly easier for the new wave of millennial dems over the next two decades to actually accomplish things of substance. I appreciate that Pete has said he would prioritize his political capital as president on that, and on climate change. Warren is the only other one I can picture actually using political capital on some of those systemic fights.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I thought talking about donation breakdowns was a conspiracy, or something.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait I thought talking about donation breakdowns was a conspiracy, or something.
No, it's a conspiracy when someone says something like Beto got all his money from bundling or Wall Street with no evidence. I thought Pete had 34% of his donations come in over $200, which I thought was strange since it was so.much higher than everyone else, but that was clarified above.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, Beto went in on education. Now he's on climate.

He's live in South Carolina, at a middle school gym in Bluffton.

Bernie's live too in Wisconsin!

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Great answer by Beto on the uniting the party question and he promotes respect for the other candidates and makes note to say he won't degrade or denigrate other candidates or try to remake the party in his vision. That he'll listen to voices and engage.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Great answer by Beto on the uniting the party question and he promotes respect for the other candidates and makes note to say he won't degrade or denigrate other candidates or try to remake the party in his vision. That he'll listen to voices and engage.

Yeah, dude's great. To add to this he said he's lucky to be running in a primary along so many intelligent, talented and impressive people. Regardless of if he's your choice for candidate, he's a force for good and he seems committed to getting whoever is nominated elected.

Edit: On a question about the US' relations with Israel:
Thank you for the question. Let me begin - You asked a really good question. Let me begin by, um - this is my first public opportunity to do this: to-to publically congratulate Prime Minister Netanyahu on his victory. I may not agree with a lot of what he has done or said, especially recently: aligning himself with far-right, very hateful parties; employing some very racist rhetoric; um, disavowing functionally the two-state solution - which, if you care about Israel, and I deeply do, is going to undermine and jeopardize a peaceful, secure future for that state. It will make it nearly impossible for Israel to remain both a Jewish state and a democracy. So, I have some serious differences; but, our differences should not hold us captive to being able to advance our cause, which is a two-state solution; our friendship, which is historic with the state of Israel - which must transcend who's in power at a given time, or the party affiliation of the President of the United States. That is an everlasting relationship and friendship. But, for the full benefit of everyone in that region, Israelis and Palestinians, we must ensure there are two states; it is the best long-term guarantee for peace, political stability, and our interests as well as the interests of those two peoples being served in that area. So, you've got my commitment on a two-state solution.
I'm not sure how well he can gracefully establish cordiality like this after flat-out calling Bibi a racist, but I guess he tried.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why doesnt he support a one state solution? Because more arabs voting means a racist religious state dissolves? Oh no

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
By education do you mean college or k-12?
A bit of both. He mentioned the massive amount of debt teachers are having from college and gave statistics on how many are quitting within their first year because they can't make a living wage. FB has a weird timer because it counts down, so it begins at the 37 minute mark.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why doesnt he support a one state solution? Because more arabs voting means a racist religious state dissolves? Oh no
It will make it nearly impossible for Israel to remain both a Jewish state and a democracy.
That's probably it.

The thing that makes one-state/two-state dichotomy complicated is that there are honest and disingenuous arguments for both cases.

One-state, honest: No Israeli government is going to roll back the settlement and undo the border expansion to back go 1948/1967 borders. The only true option is full citizenships for all Palestinians and assimilation
One-state, disingenuous: Peace is possible and there's no reason to roll back or set borders (de facto annexation of Palestinian land)

Two-state, honest: This is Palestinian land, Israel never had the right to settle on it in the first place and are the colonizers. Or two state will allow both countries the autonomy they desire.
Two-state, disingenuous: Israel needs to remain a majority Jewish state (bunch of given reasons for this I'm not going to list, while increasing settlements anyway)

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's probably it.

The thing that makes one-state/two-state dichotomy complicated is that there are honest and disingenuous arguments for both cases.

One-state, honest: No Israeli government is going to roll back the settlement and undo the border expansion to back go 1948/1967 borders. The only true option is full citizenships for all Palestinians and assimilation
One-state, disingenuous: Peace is possible and there's no reason to roll back or set borders (de facto annexation of Palestinian land)

Two-state, honest: This is Palestinian land, Israel never had the right to settle on it in the first place and are the colonizers. Or two state will allow both countries the autonomy they desire.
Two-state, disingenuous: Israel needs to remain a majority Jewish state (bunch of given reasons for this I'm not going to list, while increasing settlements anyway)
Yeah I was basically using his words. If your country can't survive because minorities are a voting bloc, it's time to consider that maybe your country is just going to have to embrace the changes

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's probably it.

When you say colonizers do you just mean the settlements? (If so, I agree, they're horrific and absolutely should be reclaimed.) I ask only because it's an incredibly loaded term when it comes to the Israelis as a whole because of the connotations with decolonization.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you say colonizers do you just mean the settlements? (If so, I agree, they're horrific and absolutely should be reclaimed.) I ask only because it's an incredibly loaded term when it comes to the Israelis as a whole because of the connotations with decolonization.
Some radicals will use the connotation in tandem with "decolonization" in favor of one-state (just one Palestinian state). Others are referring directly to the settlements. I've seen both arguments.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They're colonizers in that jews were 10% of the population of palestine in 1880 and then had their own state in a generation.

That doesn't mean they all need to leave, think of algeria where a decent chunk of the population were french transplants who then ended up having kids. They didn't all leave when the FLN won the civil war.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh also immediately overriding the UN's partition borders.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From a philosophical standpoint I think America "belongs" to Natives and their descendents. I know this is not actually practical grounds for policy-making but it's morally consistent in my internal system. It'd be strange for me to not extend that reasoning to Israel-Palestine because Israel is less than a century old.

From a pragmatic standpoint, at this point in time, only reparations are feasible (for America) and it's what I'd like to see in Israel, whether one-state or two-state.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
From a philosophical standpoint I think America "belongs" to Natives and their descendents. I know this is not actually practical grounds for policy-making but it's morally consistent in my internal system. It'd be strange for me to not extend that reasoning to Israel-Palestine because Israel is less than a century old.

From a pragmatic standpoint, at this point in time, only reparations are feasible (for America) and it's what I'd like to see in Israel, whether one-state or two-state.
Yep to both paragraphs

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love having a field of good candidates like Bernie and Warren running for president in times like these. using their platform to deliver a necessary response when the spotlight is on is so important and will hopefully get all the dems running to post a response.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beto is really a good dude. Hopefully with him appearing on CNN tomorrow, it means the media blackout is over

Status
Not open for further replies.