• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pete does have a color issue. He should probably spend some time in black communities doing town halls and letting people get to know him before going on Fox News. I was really into Pete at first, but I've slowly become underwhelmed.

Beto's been doing the right thing meeting with local leadership in the black community in most cities he visits. I think this is what let's Beto win if Biden fizzles out.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I was thinking about this early while hiking. You randomly run into your preferred candidate while out in public and he or she wants to know the best advice you can give them to help them win the nomination. What do you tell them?

If I saw Beto I'd tell him to start interviewing in the damn media. And maybe play up his potential "rockstar" persona, get on the stage and play the guitar now and then.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
There are however other things that made me have a complete turnaround on him like what is accounted in this thread

Some of this is pretty egregious

Alright, I keep seeing these stories about Pete getting posted and going mostly unchallenged so I'm gonna be the one to challenge them I guess. Now, I'm not gonna say these are just nothingburgers, because there are elements that aren't great for him regardless, but the way they're presented in these tweets is either lacking critical context at best or outright false at worst.

First, what IS true (and problematic) about his home demolition/rehab initiative:
1) It did disproportionately affect poor POC neighborhoods because that's where most of the derelict homes were located.
2) Code enforcement was overly aggressive in levying fines on people. Some well-meaning homeowners, especially early on in the initiative's timeline, were being slapped with fines that they could not afford to pay, and when the fines didn't get paid the homes were demolished.
3) Black city activists criticized the initiative for contributing to gentrification.

What is not true about it, or important context that does not get mentioned:
1) This was not making people homeless. The initiative targeted vacant and abandoned homes. The homeowners that lost homes did not live in them, they were holding on to them either as investments or to rehab them. Many of these homes were bought for dirt cheap prices (one reported example is someone who bought three properties in a county tax sale for $250 each) and then were left untouched by the owner.
2) These homes were a legitimate problem. South Bend's population has been shrinking for decades, which leads to lots of empty houses that have deteriorated and brought down the property values of everything surrounding them. Poor POC neighborhoods were, of course, the ones most affected by this problem as well. As Pete tells it, blighted homes were the #1 issue brought up to him while he was knocking on doors seeking votes.
3) Most of the demolished homes were straight up uninhabitable. They were not safe to live in and it would have cost tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to make them habitable.
4) Some of the more outspoken black city activists that criticized the initiative have praised Pete for taking their concerns seriously and changing course. The government contributed more resources to home repair whenever possible. One of them, Stacey Odom, requested an additional $300,000 in grants for home repair and Pete responded with $650,000. Earlier this year, the city announced it will increase spending on home repair to over $1 million, targeting those poor POC communities in particular.

What is true about the police tapes scandal:
1) Tapes were recorded involving several white police officers. The tapes are alleged to have contained racist content.
2) The black police chief allegedly threatened the police offers with the tapes, Pete demoted him, and the city has fought in court to prevent the tapes from being released.

What is not true, or important context that does not get mentioned:
1) Pete did not turn the police chief in to the FBI. The white police officers who were recorded did that. Pete learned about the tapes when federal prosecutors approached him and told him that if he didn't take action himself, they were prepared to indict the police chief.
2) The question was over whether or not the tapes violated wiretap laws. From what I understand, the reason that this is STILL going through the courts to this day is that no court has conclusively ruled on whether they do or not and whether the city can legally release the tapes. Pete hasn't listened to the tapes because he says he's unsure if he's even allowed to do so without committing a felony himself.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pete does have a color issue. He should probably spend some time in black communities doing town halls and letting people get to know him before going on Fox News. I was really into Pete at first, but I've slowly become underwhelmed.

Wow, that's a bad look. He needs to connect with people of color or get out. Black women in particular are the backbone of the party and it's bullshit to not meet with leaders of black communities. Get it together Pete.

btw that Twitter account is pretty good.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this early while hiking. You randomly run into your preferred candidate while out in public and he or she wants to know the best advice you can give them to help them win the nomination. What do you tell them?

If I saw Beto I'd tell him to start interviewing in the damn media. And maybe play up his potential "rockstar" persona, get on the stage and play the guitar now and then.
That would be my advice as well. Do some town halls. Go on the late night shows. Colbert would let him rock out on stage I'm sure.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Pete is kinda losing me honestly. He's still in my top 3, but he's behind Warren and Sanders.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Beto on stage with a guitar is the lamest advice you can give him lol

He would be made fun of immediately.

The man just needs to talk, he's great at eliciting excitement without gimmicks like that.

So everyone.... primary voting isn't until like February next year. Wtf
This is gonna be a looooong road.
And some candidates might have different strategies than others obviously, and may not want to burn out so early.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
That account is anti-semitic as fuck

giphy.gif

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Wow, that's a bad look. He needs to connect with people of color or get out. Black women in particular are the backbone of the party and it's bullshit to not meet with leaders of black communities. Get it together Pete.

I would honestly love to spend a minute in the mind of someone who thinks like this. Like, imagine giving a shit about "Oh, he's not a REAL democrat..." lol

Like fucking good, Democrats are fucking shit and are simply the lesser of two evils (albeit by a wide margin).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Id say his first sentence was spot on, he is problematic. Lol

Anyone who thinks Bernie is running against democrats is just.... what?
This is the cleanest primary Ive ever seen (granted we're still far out but)

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
That account (a #neverbernie tweeter, btw) is a perfect example of non-Bernie supporter extremists, as if we needed more proof that there are extremists supporter for any candidate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"Don't blame me, I voted for Hillary Clinton! Liberal. Survivor. Resistance. Dane's Ideology! King of Pettiness! Welcome to my world! #NeverTrump #NeverBernie"

Bahahahahahahah

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured there was a contingent of neverberners who just didn't like him because he's Jewish. this is America, after all. hopefully we don't have to see that shit brought in here again.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, pointing out anti-semetic posters is always good.
Labelling posters as anti-semitic after they liked a twitter account then took it back after it was pointed out the account was anti-semitic is super reasonable and definitely isn't an inflammatory false statement based on nothing.

You know who else loves labelling people as anti-semitic and having it based on nothing? Fox News, T***p and the GOP. Great company you're keeping.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I would honestly love to spend a minute in the mind of someone who thinks like this. Like, imagine giving a shit about "Oh, he's not a REAL democrat..." lol

Like fucking good, Democrats are fucking shit and are simply the lesser of two evils (albeit by a wide margin).
Then why not run as an independent? Why oscillate between Independent and Democrat depending on state and national campaigns? I would actually somewhat respect him if he did run as an independent.

I don't understand why that is not a legitimate question. I find people who contort themselves into bouncing between parties to suit their own agenda as smarmy. I actually like Bloomberg. But even I am like "what the fuck are you, dude?"

I just don't understand why people are so defensive about this. If you have to sign a pledge that you're a Democrat, how can you or your supporters be upset that they don't like you?

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then why not run as an independent? Why oscillate between Independent and Democrat depending on state and national campaigns? I would actually somewhat respect him if he did run as an independent.

I don't understand why that is not a legitimate question. I find people who contort themselves into bouncing between parties to suit their own agenda as smarmy. I actually like Bloomberg. But even I am like "what the fuck are you, dude?"

I just don't understand why people are so defensive about this. If you have to sign a pledge that you're a Democrat, how can you or your supporters be upset that they don't like you?
You want Bernie to run as an Independent?

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Labelling posters as anti-semetic after they liked a twitter account then took it back after it was pointed out the account was anti-semetic is super reasonable and definitely isn't an inflammatory false statement based on nothing.

I wonder how hard you looked at that account before labeling it "pretty good". Was it a super reasonable amount of time, or just long enough to realize they were anti-Bernie?

Then why not run as an independent?

Because independents won't win a presidential election. It is a silly, ignorant question.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie isn't a real democrat.

Other than appearing in national ads, and doing stump speeches, with democrats, during the midterms, asking people to vote for democratic candidates.

Like come on, since his Taxes were a giant nothing burger is this really the level we're at now?

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've said it before, but I think AOC shows the way for people to work the party from inside. The Dems have their problems but imo it would be potent and powerful for Sanders to declare himself one and inform the party that he was going to dedicate himself to remaking it for the better rather than having his cake and eat it too.

Also, people love to write off this criticism but it's meaningful to a lot of people even if it's nonsense to some.

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Because independents won't win a presidential election. It is a silly, ignorant question.
I absolutely get it.
So he cares little about a revolution as opposed to becoming president. No shame in his game.

At the end of the day, he's a politician with his own interests ahead of everyone else. I don't admonish him for it. But I also don't think it makes sense to gloss over the fact that he judicially will manipulate the political system to suit his needs but then be outraged that "the establishment is against me."

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely get it.
So he cares little about a revolution as opposed to becoming president. No shame in his game.

At the end of the day, he's a politician with his own interests ahead of everyone else. I don't admonish him for it. But I also don't think it makes sense to gloss over the fact that he judicially will manipulate the political system to suit his needs but then be outraged that "the establishment is against me."
What does the bolded even mean? You think he's been lying about his politics and policies for his entire career so that he could eventually become president in his 70's?

Are you real?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I absolutely get it.

I think if you think a political (i.e. not by any force, physical or not) "revolution" in this country can be done by an independent in a national election you're delusional. The only way we get a proportional Congress and a valid multi party system is from the top down.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
I'd rather support Bernie than some diet Trump, too much has been taken away from people especially to prop up industries that are self fufilling

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Bernie is making a lot of people lose their damn minds lol. Can't wait for the meltdowns when he wins Iowa :D

Status
Not open for further replies.