• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I absolutely get it.
So he cares little about a revolution as opposed to becoming president. No shame in his game.

At the end of the day, he's a politician with his own interests ahead of everyone else. I don't admonish him for it. But I also don't think it makes sense to gloss over the fact that he judicially will manipulate the political system to suit his needs but then be outraged that "the establishment is against me."

It's because he doesn't have a problem with the party itself he has a problem with who has been running it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I think if you think a political (i.e. not by any force, physical or not) "revolution" in this country can be done by an independent in a national election you're delusional. The only way we get a proportional Congress and a valid multi party system is from the top down.
Oh, I'm well aware that he would have no chance as an independent. Honestly, I do wish we could advance to a much more inclusive political system where we had ~4 national parties, so we wouldn't have this problem.

But Bernie is an independent. Who ran for the Democratic nomination because he had no chance to become President otherwise. Refused to acknowledge himself as a Democrat after he lost the nomination and ran his Senate re-election as an Independent. Is running for the Democratic nomination again, but then filed his 2024 Senate re-election campaign as an independent.

So that's my question. He's already hedging a loss by filing as an Independent for another Senate run. So on what level, does it make sense to be upset at the Democratic leadership for being concerned about someone who's party allegiance is dictated by the campaign he's running?

Bernie can simplify this and say he's a leftist Democrat or whatever, as Mercury Fred said. If he wants to change the Democratic party, by all means. But don't be upset people have to actually check what party he technically claims he is apart of, when he himself obfuscates it.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, I keep seeing these stories about Pete getting posted and going mostly unchallenged so I'm gonna be the one to challenge them I guess. Now, I'm not gonna say these are just nothingburgers, because there are elements that aren't great for him regardless, but the way they're presented in these tweets is either lacking critical context at best or outright false at worst.

First, what IS true (and problematic) about his home demolition/rehab initiative:
1) It did disproportionately affect poor POC neighborhoods because that's where most of the derelict homes were located.
2) Code enforcement was overly aggressive in levying fines on people. Some well-meaning homeowners, especially early on in the initiative's timeline, were being slapped with fines that they could not afford to pay, and when the fines didn't get paid the homes were demolished.
3) Black city activists criticized the initiative for contributing to gentrification.

What is not true about it, or important context that does not get mentioned:
1) This was not making people homeless. The initiative targeted vacant and abandoned homes. The homeowners that lost homes did not live in them, they were holding on to them either as investments or to rehab them. Many of these homes were bought for dirt cheap prices (one reported example is someone who bought three properties in a county tax sale for $250 each) and then were left untouched by the owner.
2) These homes were a legitimate problem. South Bend's population has been shrinking for decades, which leads to lots of empty houses that have deteriorated and brought down the property values of everything surrounding them. Poor POC neighborhoods were, of course, the ones most affected by this problem as well. As Pete tells it, blighted homes were the #1 issue brought up to him while he was knocking on doors seeking votes.
3) Most of the demolished homes were straight up uninhabitable. They were not safe to live in and it would have cost tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to make them habitable.
4) Some of the more outspoken black city activists that criticized the initiative have praised Pete for taking their concerns seriously and changing course. The government contributed more resources to home repair whenever possible. One of them, Stacey Odom, requested an additional $300,000 in grants for home repair and Pete responded with $650,000. Earlier this year, the city announced it will increase spending on home repair to over $1 million, targeting those poor POC communities in particular.

What is true about the police tapes scandal:
1) Tapes were recorded involving several white police officers. The tapes are alleged to have contained racist content.
2) The black police chief allegedly threatened the police offers with the tapes, Pete demoted him, and the city has fought in court to prevent the tapes from being released.

What is not true, or important context that does not get mentioned:
1) Pete did not turn the police chief in to the FBI. The white police officers who were recorded did that. Pete learned about the tapes when federal prosecutors approached him and told him that if he didn't take action himself, they were prepared to indict the police chief.
2) The question was over whether or not the tapes violated wiretap laws. From what I understand, the reason that this is STILL going through the courts to this day is that no court has conclusively ruled on whether they do or not and whether the city can legally release the tapes. Pete hasn't listened to the tapes because he says he's unsure if he's even allowed to do so without committing a felony himself.
Anyone who's been "canceling" Pete 5 times per page gonna bother responding to this post?

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
You should genuinely not care at all about whether or not Bernie is a "real Democrat" unless you're some sort of life-long Democratic Party insider who's entire livelihood depends on the continued existence of the present management of the Democratic Party. It's such a bizarre thing to care about that literally does nothing to make people's lives better at all and no average person cares.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
tHe PaRtY1 sOmEbOdY pLeAsE tHiNk Of ThE pArTy!1

We're basically at the "Hm, you say you think the political system is broken, yet you participate in it. Interesting. I am very smart" stage

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You should genuinely not care at all about whether or not Bernie is a "real Democrat" unless you're some sort of life-long Democratic Party insider who's entire livelihood depends on the continued existence of the present management of the Democratic Party. It's such a bizarre thing to care about that literally does nothing to make people's lives better at all and no average person cares.
No no, didn't you know... The D in front of the name is what makes people's lives better. It's not policy or anything that materially improves the wellbeing of citizens.

I'm a registered Democrat, but I don't give a FUCK about that label. Anyone who thinks that's what is important and not policy or moral values is a rube. I'll be following my values, wherever and whatever viable political party represents them.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This is really great. It's somewhat foreign-feeling to have a second choice in Warren who's so incredible rather than just the usual grin-and-bear-it fallback second choice.
I need to give some money to her campaign, I've donated to Bernie, it would be great if I could have the choice between the two of them when the time comes that we are down to a top two.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
respond to what? he didn't source anything and it reads extremely biased
It reads extremely biased to acknowledge the flaws in his approach but clear up blatant misinformation that people in this thread haven't been questioning? Anyway, here are some good articles on the home initiative that are fairly critical but offer a nuanced take overall: 1, 2

The police tape thing is more complicated than I could explain in one post, and I was mostly addressing the false claim that Pete is the one who tried to cover up the scandal by reporting the chief to the FBI which is just a blatant lie, and I was also offering Pete's reasoning for why he's been unwilling to listen to the tapes or release them without a court order. I don't claim to understand everything about it myself, but this article from CNN seems well-researched.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The debates are going to be great

I hope Warren strips the paint off some of these people
Hopefully we get some good matchups and the shitty candidates like Gabbard and Booker are all in one debate. If it was me I'd love one debate stage be Biden, Bernie, Warren, Kamala, Beto, and Pete.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie isn't a real democrat.

Other than appearing in national ads, and doing stump speeches, with democrats, during the midterms, asking people to vote for democratic candidates.

Like come on, since his Taxes were a giant nothing burger is this really the level we're at now?
Well, technically he isn't a Democrat at all. He caucuses with them and supports like 90% of traditional Democratic goals, but he isn't a registered Democrat for a reason.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
I want the debates to be as savage as possible. I want to see mollywhoppings and sore ass cheeks by the time things are done. Thin the herd.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they're gonna split warren and bernie for the debates so they don't tag team some of these candidates into the ether

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully we get some good matchups and the shitty candidates like Gabbard and Booker are all in one debate. If it was me I'd love one debate stage be Biden, Bernie, Warren, Kamala, Beto, and Pete.
I don't know. I just think it'll be a race to promise the most. Warren is the only candidate who I think can fundamentally back up her policies.

Beto, Biden, Amy and Kamala will be seen as too pragmatic, and get shamed like Clinton did, despite generally being aligned in regards to the policies. It's the "Something About Mary" quote in her book, all over again.

I hope I'm wrong.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Another well-researched piece on Pete's home demolition initiative, including why the issue of urban blight is such a problem in the industrial midwest (which disproportionately affects minorities just like gentrification does in booming coastal cities). This one is more of a rebuttal to the criticisms he's faced.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Whoops...well I was.
Sad. I suppose you were one of the ones that fell for the disingenuous right wing anti semitism attacks on Omar.

If you give AOC the benefit of the doubt on her gaffs you sure as shit should with Ilhan. Otherwise, I might be a little suspicious of what kind of views you have of black Muslims. Might want to examine those unconscious biases.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Sad. I suppose you were one of the ones that fell for the disingenuous right wing anti semitism attacks on Omar.

If you give AOC the benefit of the doubt on her gaffs you sure as shit should with Ilhan. Otherwise, I might be a little suspicious of what kind of views you have of black Muslims.
When the vast majority of the media are happy to parrot the right wing narrative re: Omar; I have a hard time blaming the average liberal from saying they share that view. I think it's on us to simply ask them to explain why they have a lower opinion of Omar, cuz most probably haven't actually thought much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.