• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
You originally responded to this

So, come on dude.
literally in the post you were responding to, i said "You'd have to be almost embarrassingly out of tune with current discourse to think Sanders has been perceived as doing poorly in recent town halls, with the obvious exception of the one held today. "

are you really trying to say there was fair cause for uncertainty about my opinion of Sander's performance today?

you're really not helping the case that you're a rational observer of all this

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
literally in the post you are responding to, i said "You'd have to be almost embarrassingly out of tune with current discourse to think Sanders has been perceived as doing poorly in recent town halls, with the obvious exception of the one held today. "

are you really trying to say there was fair cause for uncertainty about my opinion of Sander's performance today?

you're really not helping the case that you're a rational observer of all this
I don't even know what point you are trying to make because you are contradicting yourself saying he did badly, but then saying I'm out of tune when I said he did badly, so I'm done with this conversation.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
In the Houston rally today, Bernie announced that he would make Ben Cohen Secretary of Commerce, with a policy of putting a pint of Ben & Jerry's icecream in every freezer.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
This thread seems to be getting increasingly petty. In the larger scheme, we're all on the same team aren't we?
People care more about being "right" and beating whatever minor factions of the party they don't like into submission than kicking out the fascists

I don't get how anyone has the energy for this shit after the past two years.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
People care more about being "right" and beating whatever minor factions of the party they don't like into submission than kicking out the fascists

I don't get how anyone has the energy for this shit after the past two years.
I don't either. Sure Bernie and Warren are my first and second choices but I'd pretty happy for anybody that's in the Democratic primary to be president and not Donald Trump.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what point you are trying to make because you are contradicting yourself saying he did badly, but then saying I'm out of tune when I said he did badly, so I'm done with this conversation.

my favorite thing about forum arguments is when a dude tries to pretend he's unaware of what your position is on something to avoid confronting it. if its somehow even mildly unclear to you, I think Sanders has been killing it at town halls, again, with the exception of the 'she the people' event today, which he performed poorly in.

we both know you already knew that though.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't either. Sure Bernie and Warren are my first and second choices but I'd pretty happy for anybody that's in the Democratic primary to be president and not Donald Trump.
I'm gravitating towards Bernie because I think we need to try something different and I think, just going with my gut people will find him to be the most authentic or offer the most "change" which I think we'll need in swing states

But if I saw someone else start sweeping people up in their momentum I'd totally be down with them too. I'm just not seeing that from anyone which is the problem.

All of this arguing though is mostly irrelevant because the senate map is fucked and I don't know if it matters what policy or platform whoever wins runs on in terms of what they'll actually do. Even in the best case scenario, we wind up with 50 seats and a trifecta we could nominate zombie Karl Marx it would be unlikely that we get a Klobuchar tier agenda done

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did they commission this from the same artist who drew all those Russian Facebook memes? Looks like the same art style lol
If it was, Bernie would be super buff

bernt2.png

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
giphy.gif

Wake me up when we get back to discussing what really matters, polling numbers.

RE: this article https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...ys-he-doubts-sanders-can-win-general-election

"I have a hard time seeing the coalition ultimately coming together there," the South Bend, Ind., mayor told The New York Times.
Sanders's campaign manager, Faiz Shakir, pushed back on Buttigieg's assertion, touting Sanders's record of fighting for the working class as the reason he will be able to win in 2020.

Taking what Pete said about coalition forming, I think Sanders would probably have a harder time securing a coalition to get out of the primary than the general.

I am going to say though, that, applying this to the primary, they could both be right here. Sanders could struggle to form a coalition, and Sanders could still win the primary regardless.

Pulling from an article from 538 recently: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-can-win-but-he-isnt-polling-like-a-favorite/

At times, Sanders's strategists actually seem to be leaning into the strategy of being a factional candidate. The Sanders campaign may have all kinds of reasons to feel aggrieved by how the party establishment has treated it, especially when it reads articles like the one in The New York Times that suggest the establishment is out to get it again! Nonetheless, the campaign hasn't sought to mend fences when conflicts have arisen this year. Instead, Sanders aides told The Atlantic's Edward-Isaac Dovere that they think they can win the nomination with as little as a 30 percent plurality of delegates. That's a risky strategy since it would necessarily entail a contested convention, where party insiders would play an outsized role. Nor would Sanders, a 77-year-old white man, reflect the various constituencies of the Democratic Party (and the demographics of the delegates themselves) as well as someone like Harris might.

From the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ders-thinking-he-will-win-it-all-2020/587326/

He's counting on winning Iowa and New Hampshire, where he was already surprisingly strong in 2016, and hoping that Cory Booker and Kamala Harris will split the black electorate in South Carolina and give him a path to slip through there, too. And then, Sanders aides believe, he'll easily win enough delegates to put him into contention at the convention. They say they don't need him to get more than 30 percent to make that happen.

Essentially, there's a real possibility that Sanders could struggle putting together a coalition, and in a divided field with lots of candidates, his goal may simply be trying to get enough to put him into contest at the convention.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've thought for some time now that Sanders' best chance is to win the same way Trump did - solidify a loyal base who will stick with him through thick and thin, and rack up delegates while everyone else splits the vote around them. The problem is that the Dems do proportional instead of winner-take-all allocation, so it would end up being a drawn out fight that leads to a contested convention if enough candidates remain in the race after Super Tuesday so that no one person becomes the anti-Sanders.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

Absolutely. I wanted to bring it up because I saw the talk about coalition-forming with specific reference to Sanders, but this could be the case for many/all of the candidates right now.

I've thought for some time now that Sanders' best chance is to win the same way Trump did - solidify a loyal base who will stick with him through thick and thin, and rack up delegates while everyone else splits the vote around them. The problem is that the Dems do proportional instead of winner-take-all allocation, so it would end up being a drawn out fight that leads to a contested convention if enough candidates remain in the race after Super Tuesday so that no one person becomes the anti-Sanders.

Not only is not winner take all, but if I recall correctly pledged delegates mostly stay with the candidate if my memory serves me of how DNC rules are formed state to state. That means you have other candidates essentially decide the election based on who they endorse if they don't have enough to cross the finish line themselves. In other words, it could get really messy.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Wake me up when we get back to discussing what really matters, polling numbers.

RE: this article https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...ys-he-doubts-sanders-can-win-general-election

Taking what Pete said about coalition forming, I think Sanders would probably have a harder time securing a coalition to get out of the primary than the general.

I am going to say though, that, applying this to the primary, they could both be right here. Sanders could struggle to form a coalition, and Sanders could still win the primary regardless.

Pulling from an article from 538 recently: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-can-win-but-he-isnt-polling-like-a-favorite/

From the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ders-thinking-he-will-win-it-all-2020/587326/

Essentially, there's a real possibility that Sanders could struggle putting together a coalition, and in a divided field with lots of candidates, his goal may simply be trying to get enough to put him into contest at the convention.

Imagine if Sanders said what Pete said about any of the candidates right now. He'd be accused of dividing the party. I don't think it's good for these kinds of talking points to be coming directly from Pete because it puts unnecessary tension between Bernie's supporters and himself. And make no mistake about it, he's effectively calling Bernie unelectable and is a direct attack against him. When Bernie defends himself, watch how everyone will suddenly care about the party being divided.

As for Bernie's electability, this is more compelling data than Pete's personal opinion:

ScreenShot4242019at4.png

https://tulchinresearch.com/wp-cont...Industrial-Battleground-States-4-19-final.pdf

EDIT:

And here's an example of the messaging used to simulate the perception of the candidates in a general election:

ScreenShot4242019at8.png

Last edited:

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if Bernie only gets a plurality of delegates and they give the nomination to someone else, trump is getting another term.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
A video from She The People, with 8 candidates answering questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXHj8ApPVY

Starting times:
Cory Booker: around 16m.
Julián Castro: around 32m.
Tulsi Gabbard: around 49m.
Kamala Harris: around 1h18m.
Amy Klobuchar: around 1h39m.
Beto O'Rourke: around 1h58m.
Bernie Sanders: around 2h15m.
Elizabeth Warren: around 2h35m.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised that Bernie did much better in that forum than what people on the internet were suggesting. Lots of vocal support in the audience.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Save the cheerleader*, save the world!

*Also, please stay away from the cheerleader, Joe

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
62 More days until the debates start! June 26/27th MARK YA CALENDARS

Why am I not surprised that Bernie did much better in that forum than what people on the internet were suggesting. Lots of vocal support in the audience.
He did fine. He just did a poor job of directly answering one of the questions.
juvzmz3e_e1htmh_dacw9k.png

Had to put it in a tweet to see, and yep it sounds exactly like something Trump would say lol
Wow lol

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.