• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was actually a little surprising to see a handful of people here thinking Bernie performed well last night. Sore throat aside, he was pretty terrible. Especially in comparison to Beto and Warren.

Both were excellent and I really wish Beto would have gone after that Texas Senate seat and set his eyes on 2024 or 2028 instead. He's a future President... the beginning of his campaign and inexperience really dug him a deep hole I'm not sure he can get out of unfortunately.

One thing that can't be disputed, nobody on that stage is anywhere as forceful or poignant speaking on race about race relations than Beto. Bernie could take a hint or two in this regard.
In what way was he "pretty terrible"? He just didn't seem to get many opportunities to speak. When he did, he ranged from fine to good.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was actually a little surprising to see a handful of people here thinking Bernie performed well last night.
I can't say I was surprised. So long as he's beating his stump speech people who like Bernie will think he did great. The biggest negatives from him flew under the radar last night in the larger public, anyway. He outright lied about consistently getting an F rating from the NRA when he has a D- and other people on that stage score 8%, and tied wage stagnation to free trade agreements instead of Reagan's tax reforms, technology, and the internet (Like, do you really think manufacturing wouldn't be mostly automated by this point anyway if it wasn't offshored? Do you really think wage growth would've been better without nafta?). What the public didn't like about him are things that don't matter to his base.

In what way was he "pretty terrible"? He just didn't seem to get many opportunities to speak. When he did, he ranged from fine to good.

He had a bigger percentage drop than Biden. That is not doing well when you're struggling to hold on to second.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Moderator: Mr. Vice President, I wanna come to you and talk about inequality in schools and race.

Joe Biden: Scoffs

everything you need to know about him right there.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's the third debate. People wanting to form their decisions on debate performance have gotten a pretty good taste by now. This debate barely matters and future debates will matter even less. Calling Biden the winner by default is weird because it assumes that this debate was very important for bringing him down, when it's really not.

We're in a period where very little is likely to change the polls. Everyone who's way into politics made up their minds after the first debate, and everyone not so addicted to politics aren't going to start paying attention until Iowa votes, except for Iowans who'll start paying attention 2-4 weeks before they vote.

And Iowa is still 20 weeks away. Biden losing just .5% of his lead per week alone would be enough to put him nationally behind even before Iowa votes.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The other candidates are pretty much guaranteeing that Biden is going to win the nomination by collectively going after him tooth and nail. It's the same exact shit that won Trump the nomination. All you're doing is making him the focus of each debate, allowing him to come off as the victim, and failing to give voters a look into who you are and what you represent. If you do sway voters, it'll likely be those that already don't support Biden, and in a field this big - you'll have a bunch of candidates splitting votes while Biden secures the nomination easily.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
marianne is professor trelawney obviously
bernie is hagrid obviously
biden is lucius malfoy and his record is dobby which has now been given a sock
delaney and his odd facial expressions is obviously BARTY CROUCH JUNIOOOR

that's all I've got except that yang as either fred or george seems disrespectful to fred and george

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
The other candidates are pretty much guaranteeing that Biden is going to win the nomination by collectively going after him tooth and nail. It's the same exact shit that won Trump the nomination. All you're doing is making him the focus of each debate, allowing him to come off as the victim, and failing to give voters a look into who you are and what you represent. If you do sway voters, it'll likely be those that already don't support Biden, and in a field this big - you'll have a bunch of candidates splitting votes while Biden secures the nomination easily.

That's why Warren isn't doing it. She of all people in this race has a reason to go after him, but she doesn't. And that's why she is rising in the polls.

People hear her vision and like it.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
marianne is professor trelawney obviously
bernie is hagrid obviously
biden is lucius malfoy and his record is dobby which has now been given a sock
delaney and his odd facial expressions is obviously BARTY CROUCH JUNIOOOR

that's all I've got except that yang as either fred or george seems disrespectful to fred and george
Yang is the kid who didn't even go to hog warts

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something I don't understand from last night: Bernie had gotten through the gun section without a question being posed to him. It was a gift, he didn't need to walk around his record on it or anything, but then he steps into it saying he consistently has an F grade with the NRA when he's D-? Like why? All he had to do was not comment. But I guess no one confronted him on it, so...-

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Biden's numbers continue to be on the decline while Warren and Bernie go up. I still think it's too early. We'll have a better idea if this is true around the end of November I think

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden's numbers continue to be on the decline while Warren and Bernie go up. I still think it's too early. We'll have a better idea if this is true around the end of November I think
Bernie actually went down after last night in 538's poll more than Biden did and in the average of polls he's been flat since... Forever. Biden's been ebbing between 26-30 for the most part in the average of polls and not really consistently down. Warren's the only one consistently going up.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Bernie actually went down after last night in 538's poll more than Biden did and in the average of polls he's been flat since... Forever. Biden's been ebbing between 26-30 for the most part in the average of polls and not really consistently down. Warren's the only one consistently going up.
Go Warren.

But yeah my point being, Biden isn't really gaining any ground, if anything, as time passes it seems more like an even battleground. As others drops, it doesn't seem as likely those votes will go to Biden, but I guess we'll see.

Warren is heavily a second choice so I hope most go to her.

Feb 10, 2018
I watch the debate and Im a bit unsure how American healthcare works,
From my understanding

Bernie, Warren, yang and some others are for "medicare for all" which is basically like the UK NHS? Where everyone can get healthcare at zero cost?

Biden wants private health insurance to stay and people can opt into Obamacare for a cheap price? What happens if people can't afford Obamacare?

What is trumps healthcare, the current USA healthcare system, what happens to people who can't afford healthcare?

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
People need to read through Yang's policies and listen to what he says. Compared to most other candidates they seem so myopic and unable to see what is coming. We need to start thinking ahead and not just about ourselves. Yang won't win or get anywhere but years from now people will suddenly remember all the things he had to say.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
People need to read through Yang's policies and listen to what he says. Compared to most other candidates they seem so myopic and unable to see what is coming. We need to start thinking ahead and not just about ourselves. Yang won't win or get anywhere but years from now people will suddenly remember all the things he had to say.

Just cause he's a smart man and has good ideas doesn't mean he should be president.

There are other ways to enact change and/or bring attention to problems besides going straight to "run for President".

First off, why not start at the house, or at senate?

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Just cause he's a smart man and has good ideas doesn't mean he should be president.

There are other ways to enact change and/or bring attention to problems besides going straight to "run for President".

First off, why not start at the house, or at senate?

Yes, I get it would be good for him to run for a lower office if he can't be president, but what else is more important than having your head on right and having good ideas? You want him to be cool and have the personality? You want him to have some sort of experience in a public office first?

I feel like he demonstrates his personality when he doesn't feel the need to interrupt others and keeps to himself until asked. When he is asked a question he actually answers it straight forward. None of this matters to most people because people suck ass.

they want a dipshit who is full of himself yelling over others saying all the things they want to hear and actually doing none of them.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Scrolling down to the author's bio: no fewer than four different conservative thinktanks, and author of books like "The Working Class Republican: Ronald Reagan and the Return of Blue-Collar Conservatism." A wonder his piece focuses on who he thinks is best for "Reagan Democrats" and "Trump Democrats." (And ignores how his hypothetical Biden-Klobuchar ticket would fare with the party as a whole.)

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watch the debate and Im a bit unsure how American healthcare works,
From my understanding

Bernie, Warren, yang and some others are for "medicare for all" which is basically like the UK NHS? Where everyone can get healthcare at zero cost?

Biden wants private health insurance to stay and people can opt into Obamacare for a cheap price? What happens if people can't afford Obamacare?

What is trumps healthcare, the current USA healthcare system, what happens to people who can't afford healthcare?

Technically, the NHS isn't zero cost, but that aside, let's look at the netherlands. Technically entirely private insurance, but even if you can't pay your insurance can't drop you. A public option would work similarly.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Warren really seems pretty excellently positioned. She's right up there but not quite the frontrunner so she's not getting massive scrutiny or attacks. She seems to be gaining every time people see her. If she can snag a bunch of the beginning states she could really pick up some steam and knock Biden's electability narrative down a notch or two with it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is trumps healthcare
He campaigned on repealing/replacing Obamacare/ACA. He has thus far been unable to do so because they (GOP) never thought up of a replacement and too many people are reliant on ACA who are also Republican voters to risk pissing them off.

the current USA healthcare system,
Private insurance, either out of pocket or through your employer.
ACA, which you sign up and pay for but a lot less than private, I think?
Medicaid, which is like ACA but older, administered partially on the state level (every state's Medicaid is a little different and isn't transferrable across states iirc), covers more but has more strings attached (income, overall health, etc).
Medicare, which is the "everything is covered" but only available to seniors/disability, there's still some payment there, the metrics are different from Medicaid, it's possible to be on both Medicaid and Medicare and it is generally better if you are

There's also Veteran's Affairs health whatever the hell it is they do, for veterans only.

what happens to people who can't afford healthcare?
Emergency rooms are, I think, by law, obligated to treat you, regardless of your ability to pay. Paying for said treatment involves either going into crippling debt or begging on GoFundMe. Some people also simply eschew healthcare entirely because they're afraid of the debt, and sometimes those people just die.

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I don't understand how anyone can like klobuchar
I'm glad to have her as a Senator, but in the Presidential primary... she's staking out the "very moderate" lane dominated by Biden, and I don't know how she differentiates herself enough to grab any of that pie. And there's two other women Senators, one of them also a former state AG, sharing that stage. Her one liners last night were pretty hokey.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to have her as a Senator, but in the Presidential primary... she's staking out the "very moderate" lane dominated by Biden, and I don't know how she differentiates herself enough to grab any of that pie. And there's two other women Senators, one of them also a former state AG, sharing that stage. Her one liners last night were pretty hokey.
I think I would like her outside of running for President, tbh, she just doesn't seem prepared and her "don't forget the middle, guys" and "we are a team" is just blah to campaign on.
I agree. I don't hate her or anything but she said "a house divided against itself cannot stand" like it was a mic drop moment lmao

Get out of here

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
Medicare, which is the "everything is free" but only available to seniors/disability.

There's also Veteran's Affairs health whatever the hell it is they do, for veterans only.

Medicare:
Don't forget children under 18 receive Medicare.

Veteran's health care varies from state to state. I am in San Francisco, and the VA is ran by UCSF, so I am receiving good health care.

Feb 10, 2018
He campaigned on repealing/replacing Obamacare/ACA. He has thus far been unable to do so because they (GOP) never thought up of a replacement and too many people are reliant on ACA who are also Republican voters to risk pissing them off.

Medicaid, which is like ACA but older, administered partially on the state level (every state's Medicaid is a little different and isn't transferrable across states iirc), covers more but has more strings attached (income, overall health, etc).
Medicare, which is the "everything is free" but only available to seniors/disability.

Emergency rooms are, I think, by law, obligated to treat you, regardless of your ability to pay. Paying for said treatment involves either going into crippling debt or begging on GoFundMe. Some people also simply eschew healthcare entirely because they're afraid of the debt, and sometimes those people just die.

Thank u.
I'm glad I don't live in America. This system sounds awful.
Is bernie going for "Medicaid for all" or medicare for all"?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Medicare:
Don't forget children under 18 receive Medicare.
*can if they meet certain conditions.

Also, Medicare doesn't really cover everything. Technically medicare as it stands isn't very good and requires supplement plans to work out. Medicaid is generally better.

Thank u.

I mean, in name medicare for all, in practice Medicare's not the greatest so what you'd need to use would be entirely different.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The more people see of Warren, the more they like her.

For good reason, obviously.

I still don't get where the popular notion that she wasn't charismatic even came from. She's one of the most charismatic politicians I've ever witnessed second really only to Obama in my opinion. Truthfully.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank u.
Medicare for all. It will, ideally, squish ACA/Medicaid/Medicare into the same universal health plan while barring private insurance from competing on the same services but apparently they don't intend to roll Veteran Affairs Health into it or Indian Health Service (which is the system for indigenous people).

It is a MESS and another problem we have on top is that there's a giant industry dedicated to helping people and companies navigate this mess so now there's people whose livelihoods depend on the system continuing to stay broken.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't get where the popular notion that she wasn't charismatic even came from. She's one of the most charismatic politicians I've ever witnessed second really only to Obama in my opinion. Truthfully.
She really has that folksy midwestern vibe that can appeal to anyone in how she talks but I guess that doesn't matter because she's "coastal elite" and a woman or whatever.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

I'm disabled and have medicare, and unfortunately it doesn't cover 100%. Some stuff it doesn't cover at all, and others it covers a partial amount. Medicaid used to cover the rest, but I make a little over the $1,100ish limit.
Also, they take a chunk of your Social Security deposit every month for insurance. I am eligible for around $750 each month, but $200 of that is taken out for insurance.

I am very lucky I don't have to pay rent exclusively with disability.