• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Letting your enemy consume your mind is not healthy. Stick to fact checking and making sure there's substance behind a point.

As it was pointed out earlier, Russia tries to drive a wedge between people by trolling on multiple sides. Does that mean we should stop talking politics altogether?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Indeed it does, however, we're not powerless here and don't have to caught up in supporting Russia subverting our democracy in any form. I'm not speaking of the bigger picture here, I'm talking about the smaller one.

The small picture here is Harris was totally flat footed defending her record, and saying it's Russia or a Russian backed candidate is not going to help if the accusation is true.

The large picture is that any candidate that can't create a rebuttal to a factual attack on their record from Russia, the GOP, Fox News, whoever, is DOA.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The small picture here is Harris was totally flat footed defending her record, and saying it's Russia or a Russian backed candidate is not going to help if the accusation is true.

The large picture is that any candidate that can't create a rebuttal to a factual attack on their record from Russia, the GOP, Fox News, whoever, is DOA.
Yeah, the difference here is that this was a factual attack and she cited direct references.

It's much different if someone is trying to capitalize on public ignorance using smears like "her emails!" and stuff like "Bernie isn't a pro woman candidate". Those are examples of trying to leverage public image biases in order to undermine a candidate. As far as I can tell that's not what happened here. Gabbard didn't come out and say "she's a cop tho". She directly referenced Harris time as a prosecutor, and that's fair game.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, the difference here is that this was a factual attack and she cited direct references.

It's much different if someone is trying to capitalize on public ignorance using smears like "her emails!" and stuff like "Bernie isn't a pro woman candidate". Those are examples of trying to leverage public image biases in order to undermine a candidate. As far as I can tell that's not what happened here. Gabbard didn't come out and say "she's a cop tho". She directly referenced Harris time as a prosecutor, and that's fair game.

Her "direct reference" was an article from The Free Beacon.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Can someone explain to me how and why, after these four debates, Biden is polling the highest?

bronner.debateIncCharts-2.png

CV5KOOk.png

Oct 27, 2017
Her "direct reference" was an article from The Free Beacon.
If claims Gabbard was making were false, it should have taken little effort for Kamala to repudiate them. Instead we got some waffle about her being proud of her record (does that include withholding evidence that exonerated a death row prisoner?) and her defenders deflecting to Russia.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Biden is going to win the nomination on the sole reason he is more of a household name than the rest....

Such a tragedy

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If claims Gabbard was making were false, it should have taken little effort for Kamala to repudiate them. Instead we got some waffle about her being proud of her record (does that include withholding evidence that exonerated a death row prisoner?) and her defenders deflecting to Russia.
Look, I'm not saying she shouldn't have had a better response, and I've never said that. But you're kidding yourself if you think Harris (or anybody) was going to correct the record on such a blatant mischaracterization in 25 seconds. that's the whole point.

People in this thread have credibly disputed Gabbard claims, and people won't even bothered to read the posts.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I feel like Biden is going to win the nomination on the sole reason he is more of a household name than the rest....

Such a tragedy

To be fair, he'll probably win the election if he's nominated. As much I want Bernie to win, Biden just has a better shot... and getting president shitbag out of office is priority number one ATM.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's not easy to refute false claims. Even though I do actually believe kopmala actually did all that stuff. But the false claims is like Hillary Clinton's life. Remember when she was "sick and dying"

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Biden's numbers actually bounced back to normal after a bit after last month's debates. He was Obama's VP. Obama has a 97% approval rating with dems. Most people don't really pay close attention and have the attention span of gnats.

Like:

kslv9Bf.png

That's been the average of polls.

Edit: Green is Biden, blue Bernie, brown Warren, orange Harris and the bottom graph is Biden's lead, which hasn't budged much, peaked when he announced and then has been relatively level since.

www.realclearpolitics.com

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - 2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Letting your enemy consume your mind is not healthy. Stick to fact checking and making sure there's substance behind a point.

As it was pointed out earlier, Russia tries to drive a wedge between people by trolling on multiple sides. Does that mean we should stop talking politics altogether?

This is about acknowledging what Russia's doing rather than writing it off as a joke. Nobody took Rusia seriously in '16 and America paid for that. Look at the news and see what Trump's been doing in our name, Russia was a key point in making that happen.

It means we should be more careful policing our behaviour online so we don't become tools for Russia, and Trump's, agenda. Think before you post a meme or support a story, rather than blindly do it (or back up when it's pointed out it's a red flag) or want to make a joke which normalises their actions online. They don't need bots or hiring Russian trolls when you're doing the work for them for free.

Russia's propaganda efforts subverting our democracy doesn't raise the slightest concern for you? I agree with you about Kamala's flaws with her response, however, there's more to this than that. This isn't only about Kamala being a politician it's that people don't fall for Russia's subversion otherwise you're more vulnerable to their tricks when they use them.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
The way these democrats are bashing each other will make sure Donald Trump is going to win the election. It will be like 2016 again where many of the people who's candidate did not get chosen as the nominee will not vote for the actual nominee because they detest them after all these debates.

Also I hate all these 'Let me tell you a story...', 'I visited the border/mom of person that got killed by the police...' & 'When my daughter was sick I ...'. Nobody cares or believes your bullshit 'I'm just like the average working joe' stories.

Right now Biden is my favorite candidate, and I really appreciate everyone coming after him. He's an old dude, and he needs to stay sharp. Trump isn't going to go easy on him, so why should his primary opponents go easy on him? I don't think the attacks are making him weaker at all; they're making him stronger by showing how he can withstand opposition and shows confidence in his platform.

I supported Hillary in 2016 in the primaries and appreciated Bernie giving a new perspective too. I think Bernie helped Hillary by bringing new voters into the conversation. Yeah, Bernie may have influenced some voters to stay home or vote for Trump, but overall, I think Bernie was a net benefit to Hillary. I appreciated the conversation being made diverse.

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
We cannot reflexively oppose anything just because in some manner is positive for the bad guys too, I'm not just going to shoot myself in the foot for the trivial reason of spiting Putin.

For example: electing a pacifist would benefit Putin because the US would reduce the military efforts and therefore also the military efforts against him and so he might attempt to help them win, should we therefore oppose the pacifist and push for a staunch imperialist that promises to invade other countries instead on the grounds that Putin likes this one less?

And it's not like someone like Warren or Sanders just because Putin dislikes them less for his geopolitical goals are going to be his friends.
Exactly.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, he'll probably win the election if he's nominated. As much I want Bernie to win, Biden just has a better shot... and getting president shitbag out of office is priority number one ATM.

I hope for all our sakes your right but I feel like Trump will make Biden look like a massive fool with the usual despicable crap he pulled on Hillary thus taking the centrist votes. I just think Sanders and Warren are the only frontrunners capable of withstanding his hurricane of trash. Sanders is loud, passionate and is capable of taking the centrist votes entirely. Too many people voted for trump last election for the sole reason he was "different" and not apart of the "establishment". Sanders and Warren are in the same category but are NOT racists

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
0/4 on the debates. I still haven't found a candidate.

I've heard some good ideas that I definitely want implemented. I'll still vote Dem up and down the ballot.

I'm scared shitless of the percentage of non voters and the swing voter you can never trust at election time.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I think it's going to happen regardless and complaining it's unfair is naive and impractical. It looks like a deflection from Harris weakness because it is.

Whoever the Democratic nominee is, they'll have to deal with it.

This isn't about where it's going to happen, that is obviously and why shouldn't I be complaining about it? Look around you, is this the America you wanted to be in? This has nothing to do with Kamala, she's just a victim of this propaganda attack (which I agreed with you about her response!).

The point is to acknowledge what's going on and fight back individually. The entire party and the left has to do with this. Personally, I dislike being an unknowing tool for Russian propaganda.

The nominee will be leading the opposition, we all will be dealing with this online and the affects once Trumps wins the second term if they succeed again. Just like in '16.

Your framing implies they've already won and we should close our eyes and think of England. Which is deeply concerning.

Stoiracsi

May 9, 2018
This isn't about where it's going to happen, that is obviously and why shouldn't I be complaining about it? Look around you, is this the America you wanted to be in? This has nothing to do with Kamala, she's just a victim of this propaganda attack (which I agreed with you about her response!).

The point is to acknowledge what's going on and fight back individually. The entire party and the left has to do with this. Personally, I dislike being an unknowing tool for Russian propaganda.

The nominee will be leading the opposition, we all will be dealing with this online and the affects once Trumps wins the second term if they succeed again. Just like in '16.

Your framing implies they've already won and we should close our eyes and think of England. Which is deeply concerning.

What was the propaganda attack?

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Criticising her is fine, it's how it's done so it doesn't benefits Putin is what worries me
but then we get to the problem that attacking/harris Harris in itself seems to happen to benefit Putin in some way
therefore should we shut up and let her do as she pleases just because keeping a person like her away from the presidency while it's arguably a good thing it also seems to be something that Putin wants?

Dems aren't too inclined to run on invading other countries, including the more hot blooded ones (excluding Tulsi, who I hesitate to call a real Democrat to begin with). Aside from that this is not that convincing an argument when there are forces like Russia subverting our democracy and fascists are taking over countries at sliding speed.
Aside that drone striking civilians outside the US borders still is up many Dem candidates' alley, mine was more an indictment of liberals conditioning themselves into making choices based more on what they think Putin doesn't want than choosing what is good
Therefore my scenario, would it be opportune to oppose a pacifist on the grounds that the pacifist getting the presidency would be indirectly beneficial to Putin?

And fascists taking over the country isn't going to be hindered by electing accessories like Biden and Harris

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Bernie and the media being bias against him: Salty Bernie Stan with their conspiracy.

Tulsi bringing up Kamala's history: The Russians are at it again.

Enough of this conspiracy bullshit.

Kamala Harris has a lot of skeletons hiding. People actually think she's the best candidate because Trump can't find anything about her to attack. When I just did a quick google search in how bad she is.

I don't like Tulsi and yeah Russians are going to interfere with 2020. But it's not 2020, we have no nominee and bringing Kamala's record up to light this early is nothing compared to Hillary's email after she won the nomination and days before the general election

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't read through all these pages, but I certainly hope someone's defense for a candidate's conduct doesn't boil down to "those darn Russians". Even if the ever evil Russians are interfering, which is likely, that still doesn't detract from the criticism itself.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Bernie and the media being bias against him: Salty Bernie Stan with their conspiracy.

Its honestly fascinating how everything changed a few hours after the second debate. I see that people went from "wow Bernie fans and their conspiracies" to "ok Tulsi could be in the pocket of Big Russia NOT SAYING THAT SHE IS BUT SHE MIGHT BE"

Like, can you understand why it feels increeibly hypocritical?

Hopefully no one replies with "but its different tho"

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
So Tulsi nailed Kanala on something that was gonna come up anyway (whether from her or somebody else) and people are trying to dismiss it by saying she's signal boosted by Russia? How about addressing the things she brought up against Kamala?

This feels like a desperate misdirection and I dunno why people are willing spread conspiracies about candidates who attack Kamala Harris of all people.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kamala Harris has a lot of skeletons hiding. People actually think she's the best candidate because Trump can't find anything about her to attack. When I just did a quick google search in how bad she is.

I don't like Tulsi and yeah Russians are going to interfere with 2020. But it's not 2020, we have no nominee and bringing Kamala's record up to light this early is nothing compared to Hillary's email after she won the nomination and days before the general election
Except that Tulsi is a known Assad apologist, frequent Fox News guest, denier of Russian meddling, etc.

It's possible to understand that Harris shit the bed at the debate & has some issues AND acknowledge that Tulsi is at minimum a useful idiot for election meddling this cycle.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
but then we get to the problem that attacking/harris Harris in itself seems to happen to benefit Putin in some way
therefore should we shut up and let her do as she pleases just because keeping a person like her away from the presidency while it's arguably a good thing it also seems to be something that Putin wants?

You're completing ignoring Russia and Tulsi's parts in all this, which is what I had an issue with - not attacking Kamala. Which was something I agree with. Can you attack Kamala legitimately without relying on sources that support Russia and don't subvert democracy? This was never attacking Kamala for her flaws.

Aside that drone striking civilians outside the US borders still is up many Dem candidates' alley, mine was more an indictment of liberals conditioning themselves into making choices based more on what they think Putin doesn't want than choosing what is good
Therefore my scenario, would it be opportune to oppose a pacifist on the grounds that it would be indirectly beneficial to Putin?

After all this your biggest beef is with Democrats, not the party who was supported by Russia and are putting kids in concentrations camps as we speak? Yes, it would. However, the choice is not simply between a pacifist and a war monger in the Democratic party. That is, unless Tulsi wins the nomination.

And fascists taking over the country isn't going to be hindered by electing accessories like Biden and Harris

We're supposed to be fighting fascists, not letting them get elected. "Accessories," really? The Democrats were victims of the subversions of democracy in '16. Why are you completely ignoring the GOP in this equation, as though Russia's running the Democrats and not the opposite.

What was the propaganda attack?

This is trending on RT, Russia's propaganda network.

I haven't read through all these pages, but I certainly hope someone's defense for a candidate's conduct doesn't boil down to "those darn Russians". Even if the ever evil Russians are interfering, which is likely, that still doesn't detract from the criticism itself.

Nope, that wasn't the argument. How did you get that conclusion? I've been very blatant with where I stand in all this. It's disingenuous to warp my argument into the complete opposite of wha I was saying.

So Tulsi nailed Kanala on something that was gonna come up anyway (whether from her or somebody else) and people are trying to dismiss it by saying she's signal boosted by Russia? How about addressing the things she brought up against Kamala?

This feels like a desperate misdirection and I dunno why people are willing spread conspiracies about candidates who attack Kamala Harris of all people.

Read what I actually wrote, rather than posting dishonest framing to look like this is a conspiracy theory. I've been very, very clear about all this, with my agreeing with Tulsi's attack on Kamala.

Your post does make me wonder: where's the concern about Tulsi's attack being signal boosted by Russia? Are you ok with that? It seems beneath you're notice. And why are you defending Tulsi so casually? Not that her complaint wasn't legitimate, you don't seem concerned about her history or why she's a controversial candidate in this primary.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tulsi just got her.

Yep. Pretty much

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nope, that wasn't the argument. How did you get that conclusion? I've been very blatant with where I stand in all this. It's disingenuous to warp my argument into the complete opposite of wha I was saying.
"I haven't read through all these pages, but I certainly hope ..."

I never pointed to any particular poster in the first place.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Except that Tulsi is a known Assad apologist, frequent Fox News guest, denier of Russian meddling, etc.

It's possible to understand that Harris shit the bed at the debate & has some issues AND acknowledge that Tulsi is at minimum a useful idiot for election meddling this cycle.
Ok, Kamala still had a terrible performance at the debate regardless of how much of a bigoted scumbag Tulsi is.

"Assad apologist!!" isn't actually a rebuttal to the Kamala criticism.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, imagine signal boosting a radically antigay freak like Gabbard. So leftist.

Ok, Kamala still had a terrible performance at the debate regardless of how much of a bigoted scumbag Tulsi is.

"Assad apologist!!" isn't actually a rebuttal to the Kamala criticism.
It wasn't meant to be a rebuttal. It was meant to contextualize the person people are applauding.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just so were following the logic, and I haven't seen any of the "Tulsi is a Russian puppet" supporters address it, are we now also not allowed to criticize the GoP or Trump because Russia is using bots to attack them as well?
Also, imagine signal boosting a radically antigay freak like Gabbard. So leftist.
Who is doing this?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
It wasn't meant to be a rebuttal. It was meant to contextualize the person people are applauding.
Nobody cares that it was Tulsi in particular who went in on Kamala - could have been a no-name like Bennett and people would have still cheered because it was a very effective attack.

I'm willing to bet most people in that debate room had no idea about Tulsi's current or former beliefs with regard to Assad or gay marriage

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Nobody cares that it was Tulsi in particular who went in on Kamala - could have been a no-name like Bennett and people would have still cheered because it was a very effective attack.

I'm willing to bet most people in that debate room had no idea about Tulsi's current or former beliefs with regard to Assad or gay marriage

Do you? It's not like this wasn't unknown on ERA.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreeing with Tulsi's criticism of Harris ≠ Propping up Tulsi as a person/politician. Stop gaslighting.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, she's consistently voted pro-LGBT since she has held public office for the past 6 years, and publicly changed her views on gay marriage before Obama did. I get that she campaigned against it in the past when she was young when she worked for her dad (and I think that there was conversion therapy in there as well). I get that that means she has a higher hill to climb when it comes to redeeming herself on that, but her voting record on it is pretty spotless. Plenty of people are capable of change. You wouldn't have seen the change in public opinion on gay marriage if that wasn't the case. This just seems like a weird thing to get on her case about to me.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And maybe the problem is that they don't care.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Do you? It's not like this wasn't unknown on ERA.
Of course I knew who she was, and I would have no problem acknowledging that Tulsi made a good point. For what it's worth, I think it's hilarious to equate Tulsi to Trump, Bannon or David Duke. She's a bigot but isn't anywhere near as bad as those.
Agreeing with Tulsi's criticism of Harris ≠ Propping up Tulsi as a person/politician. Stop gaslighting.

Hell, I'd go as far as to say that Kamala has hurt a LOT more people than Tulsi over the course of her career, and saying you agree with her even once means you're supporting a horrible person. See how unfair this is?

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, she's consistently voted pro-LGBT since she has held public office for the past 6 years, and publicly changed her views on gay marriage before Obama did. I get that she campaigned against it in the past when she was young when she worked for her dad (and I think that there was conversion therapy in there as well). I get that that means she has a higher hill to climb when it comes to redeeming herself on that, but her voting record on it is pretty spotless. Plenty of people are capable of change. You wouldn't have seen the change in public opinion on gay marriage if that wasn't the case. This just seems like a weird thing to get on her case about to me.

Yeah, the background is pretty crazy. Not just a conservative household, but one led by a person who was a near full-time activist railing against gay marriage. That's a hell of a seed to be planted in a child's brain. I personally admire when people can be groomed from birth to hold a hateful view point, and break away from it in adulthood. God knows it's a common story in some form for many liberals.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
And maybe the problem is that they don't care.
Actually the problem is that certain dishonest actors are purposely making Tulsi out to be much worse than she is for whatever reason. She has a super high score from LGBT organizations on her voting record, which matters to me a lot more than what some Twitter randos are saying.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually the problem is that certain dishonest actors are purposely making Tulsi out to be much worse than she is for whatever reason. She has a super high score from LGBT organizations on her voting record, which matters to me a lot more than what some Twitter randos are saying.
Actually the problem is handwaving virulent homophobia. Miss me with this bad actor bs.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Did you even read that I wrote? My problem was about Russia's exploiting it, and the casualness many here are in completely ignoring it as a thing to worried about. Not the attack itself, which keeps getting ignored for a false narrative.

Of course I knew who she was, and I would have no problem acknowledging that Tulsi made a good point. For what it's worth, I think it's hilarious to equate Tulsi to Trump, Bannon or David Duke. She's a bigot but isn't anywhere near as bad as those.

They openly support Tulsi, as well as Modi and she has a controversial history with Assad.

Here is a deeper look into her candidacy.

www.vox.com

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, 2020 Democratic candidate, explained

How Gabbard went from rising star to controversial figure.

In 2017, the socialist publication Jacobin published a brutal takedown titled "Tulsi Gabbard Is Not Your Friend," focusing on dispelling the myth of Gabbard as an opponent of America's wars abroad.
"Gabbard's almost singular focus on the damage these wars inflict domestically, and her comparative lack of focus on the carnage they wreak in the countries under attack, is troubling," Jacobin's Branko Marcetic writes. "It is nationalism in antiwar garb, reinforcing instead of undercutting the toxic rhetoric that treats foreigners as less deserving of dignity than Americans."
Reached via email, Marcetic told me he believes many on the American left share his view of Gabbard.
"My sense is there's a pretty big cohort of the left that distrusts Gabbard," he said. "Her anti-interventionism isn't quite as peaceful as she makes it out to be."

And numerous other issues in that article.

Hell, I'd go as far as to say that Kamala has hurt a LOT more people than Tulsi over the course of her career, and saying you agree with her even once means you're supporting a horrible person. See how unfair this is?

Tulsi Gabbard is a bigger threat in elected office than Kamala ever was, she's not a pacifist like Bernie is. Quite the opposite. And she has more issues than simply being anti LGBT, that's the tip of the iceberg about why she's a bad candidate.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually the problem is handwaving virulent homophobia. Miss me with this bad actor bs.
Uh youre being an incredible bad actor in here. Like you basically came in and took the reins on it.

Did you even read that I wrote? My problem was about Russia's exploiting it, and the casualness many here are in completely ignoring it as a thing to worried about.

They openly support Tulsi, as well as Modi and she has a controversial history with Assad.

Here is a deeper look into her candidacy.

www.vox.com

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, 2020 Democratic candidate, explained

How Gabbard went from rising star to controversial figure.

And numerous other issues in that article.

Tulsi Gabbard is a bigger threat in elected office than Kamala ever was, she's not a pacifist like Bernie is. Quite the opposite. And she has more issues than simply being anti LGBT, that's the tip of the iceberg about why she's a bad candidate.
No I didn't miss it. I just continue telling you and others that it literally doesn't matter.

Again do we now need to stop calling Trump a racist because Russia is exploiting that as well? Is the real issue Russia stoking the fires about Trump's racism or is it Trump's racism that requires addressing. And of the two, which is more dangerous to our country? Still have yet to hear any of you address this.

Also gaslighting Tulsi as more harmful than Harris who has made a career out of ruining innocent people's lives sure is something.

Lastly Idk why you people keep trying to post about Tulsi as if anyone is championing her as a great candidate and person. This is some of the craziest gaslighting Ive ever seen on this website. Like its honestly fucking unsettling.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So can we just get a Warren/Bernie or Bernie/Warren ticket going now. I think at this point we've seen enough of who would be at least a decent nomination for the Democratic run right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.