• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
First, there's an assumption that Bernie only lost Republicans in his approval rating

I did not make this argument, that's the problem. You chose to take my comment about Republicans as me saying that:

1. There is nothing wrong with Bernie's overall favorability

2. The Republicans are the only ones bringing Bernie's favorability down

I DISAGREE with both of the above points, and yet you're still trying to push the argument that those are the points I'm arguing, which is the definition of a strawman argument.

Second, considering the posts you responded with you were both seeming to assume things yourself and referring to various strawman arguments.

I typically don't respond to strawman arguments, hence the selective quoting. Most of my subsequent responses to you were just casual banter that you clearly misinterpreted. Going forward, I'll just elect to not talk to you at all if anything I say is going to be taken as an argument.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I hope you guys get Warren. She's a treasure. As is Sanders.

Also hope Williamson gets a position in the Peace Department.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's there to extrapolate? The lowest Hillary got in gallup polling in 2016 was 39-40 in Gallup polling according to your own post. Bernie is currently 41 in gallup polling.

That remains a very small part of the picture.

I never disagreed that the longer a primary goes on the less favourable a candidate is viewed nor have I contested that his unfavourables have risen throughout the primary in accordance with that phenomenon. It simply has nothing to do with what I was contesting.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that Sanders has seen his favourables dip across more than Republicans (because they have!), this is just NOT relevant to the point I was making, and the way you went about trying to railroad the narrative /overstate how much lean Dems vote with Dems made me question why you were doing this. Looking at your responses you Brainchild, it does seems like for you, this is more about perceived frustrations than anything else.

Last edited:

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Biden's an obstacle against that change isn't a sign that he's wrong on that particular subject. Figure out a path through him or around him, but you can't ignore his presence blocking your agenda.
Seeing that Biden would actively stop the people he's telling this message to, what he's saying isn't "take action" but "shut up." It's a message made in bad faith. Of course, you know this already.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wtf Kamala

Jesus fucking Christ this sucks

she needs to quit sniping at the other candidates because their job description was different than hers. she did it when tulsi came at her ag record denigrating congress members for doing nothing but "giving fancy speeches" on the floor and now she's basically insinuating that the people she was asked about who called trump a white nationalist (beto and pete specifically) aren't prepared to take action like she is and that because she's the only one prepared to take action that her words matter less and shouldn't be compared to the other candidates' words.

kamala was a solid compromise candidate for me early because she seemed to be savvy enough to read the room and co-opt progressive policy but ever since she waffled on M4A she's been really disappointing and seems to get progressively worse as the primary goes on. I don't know what happened, she seemed to have a pretty promising candidacy ahead of her when she announced

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Warren is my top pick at the moment. She's probably the candidate with the best head on their shoulders right now.

Bernie has too much bad baggage at this point (and also maybe too old), and as appealing as Harris might seem, she's also one of the big pushers for dismantling Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (you know, that section of that otherwise-unconstitutional law that has allowed the internet to thrive) and was one of the most fervent supporters for FOSTA (that law that ripped a hole in Section 230 in order to pay lip service to fighting sex trafficking only to do fuck all and actually making things worse for both law enforcement and regular sex workers). She's aggressively "tough on crime" in terrible ways, and I suspect that'll only get worse if she becomes president. She's bad news, and frankly, I'm terrified of what she'd be capable of if she wins. No thanks.

And it's frustrating that Biden is still seemingly the frontrunner. I know there's still plenty of time before the actual primaries, and I guess I'll put up with him being the Dem candidate (because he's still better than Trump by a mile), but he's also got way too many issues.

And just a quick mention, I really would not want Yang to win either, but he's seemingly the only canditate who is actually seriously proposing a UBI.

So yeah, I do hope Warren wins.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware. Again, I was making a tangential reference to randos on the internet. I'm not disputing the data; the data is why I know those randos are full of shit.

If you need more data: I'm tracking the YouGov Economist poll since before the 1st debate, the chart below shows favorable opinion, all registered voters: women, black and hispanic voters.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If you need more data: I'm tracking the YouGov Economist poll since before the 1st debate, the chart below shows favorable opinion, all registered voters: women, black and hispanic voters.

Thanks for this. Interesting how favorability for all the dem candidates here is higher among black people overall than women overall.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy how candid he is here. Wish we'd see more of that in debates.

I haven't seen the second debate, but yeah, I don't know why he rehearses his answers so much when he's best when he answers questions honestly. He'd be a good president and it's most obvious when he shows confidence, and he shows confidence when he speaks candidly.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Seeing that Biden would actively stop the people he's telling this message to, what he's saying isn't "take action" but "shut up." It's a message made in bad faith. Of course, you know this already.

Biden's a bad messenger, one I don't want winning the primaries but in this instance it's not in bad faith. You know how people constantly say they want to fight to change the leadership in the party? All he's saying is continue to do that. And yes, he is saying "take action." Not stepping aside from the younger generation isn't saying "shut up." No political party on the planet operates by this standard.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The debates are over and this isn't meant to be a catch-all thread for discussion. Given no one actually seems to be talking about them anymore, this thread can be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.