• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nextlander (the new thing that old Giant Bomb guys Vinny, Brad and Alex launched last year) did their GOTY shows and they gave GOTY to
Inscryption

Not sure if it's fits with Kyle's tracker rules (specifically the 'must have a website' rule) but thought folks might be interested regardless. Fun podcast deliberations!

AFAIK Nextlander don't have a website, they just do the podcast and YouTube/Twitch stuff. Their URL just points to their Patreon.

Jan 4, 2018
So far we have:

1. ITT: 71
  2. RE Village: 49
  3. FH5: 44
  4. Deathloop: 31
  5. Metroid: 28
  6. Halo Infinite: 26
  7. Returnal: 19
  8. Ratchet & Clank: 16
  9. Psychonauts 2: 15
  10. Marvel's GOTG: 12

If I had to guess I think the final top 10 of 2021 will look like this:

1. ITT
  2. FH5
  3. RE Village
  4. Deathloop
  5. Halo Infinite
  6. Metroid Dread
  7. Returnal
  8. Psychonauts
  9. Ratchet & Clank
  10. GOTG

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
I waited till Feb 1 last year even though it was a blowout, so I'm probably going to wait later this year since it's a lot closer; there should theoretically be a couple hundred more awards left. Though I've been looking every day and not finding much the last week. It seems like the lack of 'huge' titles is resulting in fewer outlets doing overall awards compared to last year.

There's only a 20 point gap between 1st and 2nd, which may seem like a fair amount, but if the total for the year is ~400, then that's only a 5% difference, and to me that's small enough to essentially be a tie since it's hard to judge how many sites are unaccounted for.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I waited till Feb 1 last year even though it was a blowout, so I'm probably going to wait later this year since it's a lot closer; there should theoretically be a couple hundred more awards left. Though I've been looking every day and not finding much the last week. It seems like the lack of 'huge' titles is resulting in fewer outlets doing overall awards compared to last year.

There's only a 20 point gap between 1st and 2nd, which may seem like a fair amount, but if the total for the year is ~400, then that's only a 5% difference, and to me that's small enough to essentially be a tie since it's hard to judge how many sites are unaccounted for.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Shoudn't be there many awards left.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Looks like it's It Takes Two's to lose, never would've thought it'd get enough reader's choices to win. Game is amazing. Happy for Fares. Real lack of awards this year though.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
I find it funny that some people talk about the "Nintendo Effect" (meaning that a game is more critically acclaimed just because its Nintendo) and in reality Nintendo has 1 game of the year in 20 years

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I find it funny that some people talk about the "Nintendo Effect" (meaning that a game is more critically acclaimed just because its Nintendo) and in reality Nintendo has 1 game of the year in 20 years

Yeah, I think there's a Nintendo effect just cause Nintendo makes high quality, polished as hell games. Their games aren't the type that usually win GOTY (cinematic, story based) though so I don't find that part at all surprising. BOTW was phenomenal and justifiably won but outside of that their highest rated games were SMO (came out the same year), Super Mario Galaxy (barely lost), SMG 2 (had to compete against Red Dead and Mass Effect 2 which both fit the stereotype of a GOTY winner better).

I think there's more of a Sony effect (just like Nintendo, deserved though) with GOTYs. They make amazing games that usually happen to be cinematic and story based and have 5 of the last 8 GOTY winners (and 6 of the last 12 if we push back to Uncharted 2).

Belphegor

Sep 24, 2021
A lot of websites that were included in previous years haven't been included this year. Why wasn't Gamefaqs included this year?

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
A lot of websites that were included in previous years haven't been included this year. Why wasn't Gamefaqs included this year?

All of GameFaqs original content is produced by users, so they count as a user community. They weren't included last year either, 'cause I stopped including user communities that accept free email or anonymous registration last year.

There are fewer people contributing to the search this year, so there are fewer listed overall. There also seems to be a lot more sites from last year that either didn't do awards this year, or they did them but had separate lists for each of their staff or stated their list isn't in any particular order, so there's no overall winner.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Surprise winner at Pelit Magazine (Finland). Metroid Dread for both staff and reader picks. Betas and DLC were eligible, remaster and remakes were not. According to the magazine, Valheim almost catched up with Metroid at the later stage of the reader vote. The difference in votes wasn't even half a percent.

PEL_20220209.jpg

Top 10 readers

1. Metroid Dread
2. Valheim
3. Deathloop
4. Returnal
5. Pathfinder: WotR
6. Psychonauts 2
7. Forza Horizon 5
8. Halo Infinite
9. Resident Evil: Village
10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Staff Top 5

1. Metroid Dread
2. Deathloop/Resident Evil Village
3. Psychonauts 2/Valheim

OP
OP
BrickArts295

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely a slow year. I assume 2020 had a lot of GOTYs due to lockdowns, next gen hype and frankly a lot more exciting games to play and talk about. Plus like Kyle said, there's less helpers this time arround but no worries, I'm sure next year we'll get the usual suspects scrapping for awards when it comes down to Elden Ring vs Ragnarok vs Horizon II vs BOW2 vs Stafield lol

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Definitely a slow year. I assume 2020 had a lot of GOTYs due to lockdowns, next gen hype and frankly a lot more exciting games to play and talk about. Plus like Kyle said, there's less helpers this time arround but no worries, I'm sure next year we'll get the usual suspects scrapping for awards when it comes down to Elden Ring vs Ragnarok vs Horizon II vs BOW2 vs Stafield lol
Yeah, there's no game for fanboys to search all corners of the internet for awards this year lol. No big hitter like a TLoU II, God of War, TW3, etc.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2021

Overall | Genre | Platform Notes: We would like to thank Mina, Rösti, OneAndOnly, tgr_williams, B-Dubs , ColdSun, ghostcrew, DownUnderCoder, and all of the site staff for putting in the work for this year's annual Game of the Year vote. As in years past, this year's trophy was designed and...

Metroid

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2021

Overall | Genre | Platform Notes: We would like to thank Mina, Rösti, OneAndOnly, tgr_williams, B-Dubs , ColdSun, ghostcrew, DownUnderCoder, and all of the site staff for putting in the work for this year's annual Game of the Year vote. As in years past, this year's trophy was designed and...

Metroid

Never heard of this obscure website, don't know if it should count tbh

Belphegor

Sep 24, 2021
All of GameFaqs original content is produced by users, so they count as a user community. They weren't included last year either, 'cause I stopped including user communities that accept free email or anonymous registration last year.
Why is Metacritic people's choice counted then? Metacritic also accepts free email registration and they are not a gaming news outlet. They don't produce content and as far as gaming goes, the user content produced by Gamefaqs with all of those faqs is far more valuable than what metacritic does. Going by their history of review bombing user scores for some games which has made them more susceptible to potential rigging, what makes Metacritic's people's choice more valuable?

Last edited:

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
So calm this year. Congrats to It Takes Two.

Next year (this year) could be a bloodbath, off to a good start with Elden Ring and Horizon 2 living up to expectations/exceeding them. If Ragnarok and BOTW2 and Starfield all make it (or even just 2 of them) and live up to expectations, this thread's gonna have 50 pages next time. Elden Ring feels like the first From game to have a real chance of taking the overall crown, I expect it to sell much better than Sekiro and it has the newness advantage over 3 out of 4 of those games.

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
Why is Metacritic people's choice counted then? Metacritic also accepts free email registration and they are not a gaming news outlet. They don't produce content and as far as gaming goes, the user content produced by Gamefaqs with all of those faqs is far more valuable than what metacritic does. Going by their history of review bombing user scores for some games which has made them more susceptible to potential rigging, what makes Metacritic's people's choice more valuable?

You seem to be conflating readers' choice votes from media outlets with user communities; they aren't subject to the same rules. Metacritic isn't a user community; in addition to all of their review curation pages, they produce articles from paid staff. "Gaming news outlet" isn't a criteria, and neither is "valuable," since that'd be entirely subjective. User community inclusion is not a focus of GOTYTracker, and logistically, it wouldn't be possible if I wanted to; there are thousands of such sites around the world, and it would take a full-time paid staff to even attempt to track that. I'm pretty sure that there were fewer than five included in 2020, and I can only think of two off the top of my head.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Yeah I think it can pretty safely be called by this point

See y'all next year for the crowning of Elden Ring but I'm hoping for Ragnarok and Starfield to be dope and put up good fights (and BOTW 2 if it comes out but doubt).

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
GDC is in 5 days and BAFTAs are in 3 weeks, but no one has submitted anything in the last week, so I called it. If a bunch of awards get submitted later, I'll still update this year though.