• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
YOOOO, the day has come. Time to start saving. 100% one of these monitors will be my next major purchase in 2019. I'll sell whatever I need to, to make it happen. Been wanting an HDR capable 21:9 screen for a long ass time now. Just the thought of near borderless 21:9 movies in HDR sounds amazing to me

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
No hype for first 5k2k 21:9 monitors?

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95U-W-ultrawide-monitor

medium01.jpg
Cautiously hyped. It depends on price but this is the 21:9 resolution I've been waiting for before upgrading from my 16:9 1080p. I really want a huge PPI upgrade alongside a resolution jump (got so used to how crisp my Surface Book 2 display is that my 1080p monitor looks like soup), so I need 2160p on desktop soon =)

I'm guessing there won't be any issues with gaming at 5k resolutions, right? I can just lower the render resolution to 50% or 75% until GPUs catch up over the years? I mostly want this resolution for desktop clarity when I do my day job on it, and I like to stick to the same monitor for 5+ years when possible. So I think a 5k 21:9 would be a good future proof monitor? Not looking forward to the pricetags on them though =P

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is 21:9 support on consoles? Thinking of using a ulra widescreen monitor for my PC and PS4 Pro.
We may not even see consoles support it this gen but if enough people request support of it, it's possible we can see some firmware update that later supports it(game devs would still need to support it on their end in their future games which may be a headache for some devs as it changes how you frame your cutscenes unless they are done with black borders). I can only see MS realistically adding the option to their OS for ultra wide screen resolutions.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I've always wanted to be part of the 21:9 crew and with NewEgg's early Black Friday deals on the Acer Predator Z35P I decided to jump! It's my first time on a monitor at 120hz and gsync is amazing! I love how smooth games play now even at 40-50 fps! The extra width and sharpness is soooo goood. It's honestly such a joy to use my computer. Everytime.

I'm here with a 2560x1080 LG monitor. Cheap, good colors, 75 Hz, FreeSync. I don't want to go back to 16:9.

For now almost every game works without problem, the only ones that are locked to 16:9 are some indie games or regular ports like Nioh, but there are community made fixes.

gtg7qbflgxzz.png

Playing Hellblade right now
Hellbade looks so good at 21:9 but I got an Oculus so I'm gonna stick to that!

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I got the AW3418DW cause my 34UM95 just broke down. Didn't really want to upgrade but was left without a choice then. It's still a great upgrade going from 60->100hz(120hz might eventually stop working from what I've read), I'm very happy with it. First curved screen and I actually like it a lot too.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Amazon had the Acer Predator X34P down to ÂŁ610 last Friday so I decided to ditch my 3x 24" 1080p setup and swap to an ultrawide instead, and impressions from (almost) a week of use are insanely positive for me. I wish I'd gone 21:9 sooner because I can't believe how much more I enjoy using this thing, for gaming and general productivity. Even though I had 3 1080p displays, it feels like I have more room on this monitor.

Also helps that it has G-SYNC, which I'd never used before. I've got the monitor at 120Hz but it feels good all the way down to 60Hz thanks to adaptive sync. Very cool tech, I had always wondered if it really worked.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the deal with ultrawide? It sounds like the people who have one think there is no going back to 16:9 monitors. Is ultrawide the future for pc? It seems to be great for doing work and also playing games. Not many games support it now but I wonder if more will in the future and if so, what does it mean for competitive play?

Blizzard doesn't support ultrawide resolutions in Overwatch because they think it's unfair. Well if ultrawides start gaining more traction year after year how will they still be able to ignore it? It's a strange issue that we haven't dealt with since we went to 16:9 from 4:3.

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a x34p to replace my old dell 3008wfp a few weeks ago.

- Gysnc is great but should be auto detected and "optimized" by games in terms of maxing out the frame rate a few ticks below 120, setting the right v-sycn settings and so on.
- The UW experience for gaming is immersive but you need to sit back a bit further.
- The image quality is a joke compared to my OLED and just lets me know how far back LCD's are in that regard
- 120hz (117 for G-Sync!) is great in BF V mutliplayer

Overall, if it was for the UW experience, I don't think G-Sync and a higher refresh rate would have made me happy over the 3008wfp especially as I'm giving up some vertical real estate which I miss.

My next jump will be a similar setup but with an OLED screen in a few years.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
So what's the deal with ultrawide? It sounds like the people who have one think there is no going back to 16:9 monitors. Is ultrawide the future for pc? It seems to be great for doing work and also playing games. Not many games support it now but I wonder if more will in the future and if so, what does it mean for competitive play?

Blizzard doesn't support ultrawide resolutions in Overwatch because they think it's unfair. Well if ultrawides start gaining more traction year after year how will they still be able to ignore it? It's a strange issue that we haven't dealt with since we went to 16:9 from 4:3.
I've loved it since I got mine and I would love every person to adopt it and for every game to support it. But it's not impossible to go back, or even necessarily hard to. I use my 16:9 laptop for Siege all the time. Games like first-person shooters benefit a lot from the additional space but I don't think it's game-changing, at least casually. In fact, a few times Wolfenstein 2 would accidentally switch back to 16:9 and I shit you not, I didn't notice it until a few minutes in because I was having a such a blast shooting Nazis.

I think I would notice it in games where the presentation is the focus. Third-person games in particular are mind-boggingly beautiful, especially something like Assassin's Creed Origin. The tax it takes to run them means you pay a price for smooth 60 at maximum settings, but it's really worth it.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
I have Asus ROG swift PG348Q ultrawide and while I love it in editing videos and photos, and music work, the support isn't always ideal in games. Even AAA games can struggle. Newer games fare generally better but your old favourites most likely will not support uw properly.

A word of warning right there.

I'll most likely upgrade to 4K UW when available with quality panels. Not a fan of 2 displays for whatever reason. Most likely won't return to 16:9 unless reason X.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Amazon had the Acer Predator X34P down to ÂŁ610 last Friday so I decided to ditch my 3x 24" 1080p setup and swap to an ultrawide instead, and impressions from (almost) a week of use are insanely positive for me. I wish I'd gone 21:9 sooner because I can't believe how much more I enjoy using this thing, for gaming and general productivity. Even though I had 3 1080p displays, it feels like I have more room on this monitor.

Also helps that it has G-SYNC, which I'd never used before. I've got the monitor at 120Hz but it feels good all the way down to 60Hz thanks to adaptive sync. Very cool tech, I had always wondered if it really worked.
Yeah finally plumped for a z35p for similar money (x34 for ÂŁ610 is brilliant though). Absolutely fantastic; been holding off playing Witcher 3 until I picked one up. I've been waiting for the next gen of ultra wide but they look to have all the problems of this gen at an unacceptable price.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017

Not every game supporting it means I have to go back on a regular basis, by playing games pillarboxed. I've gotten used to having a mix of 16:9 and 21:9 where I can so it's not that difficult I don't think. Even games that have support forced through mods may not always work so well (Okami comes to mind: it looks a horrible mess whenever a conversation starts). Even games that purport to support it properly may not: stretched HUD/UI (No Man's Sky, though I've heard there is a mod for that but have yet to try it), or vertically cropped (vert-) rather than horizontally extended to make the picture fit (QUBE2 - Overwatch too).

Next month I will have had my ultrawide monitor 6 years and traction on support hasn't really changed that much in that time and I don't see it changing much in the years to come either. It's just something you need to be aware of before getting one I think; will playing with bars or having the other niggles I posted above be an issue?

Edit: you can sort of test what having an ultrawide monitor is like by creating a custom 21:9 resolution for your games to use and setting the graphics card to scale it accordingly to fit your current monitor's aspect ratio. I did that on my old 16:10 monitor when I was deciding if I wanted ultrawide or not.

Last edited:

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
My local Best Buy had the Alienware AW3418DW for $800 and jumped on (Especially considering the X34 and the ASUS equivalent are still around a grand where I am). I've been very very happy with it.

I've actually been using it more for coding and productivity stuff. But ultrawide gaming with 120hz, 1440p and G-Sync is also very very lovely :)

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

I love it and don't plan to go back. The Blizzard situation with Overwatch is a bit weird. So far after hundreds of hours playing competitive multiplayer games with Ultrawide and without I'll say there isn't really an advantage I've noticed except in extremely rare situations where I'm totally still. In the action while playing a game your vision is focused on the center of the screen usually.

The benefit of Ultrawide comes in it's immersion factor more than any perceived competitive advantage imo. 120hz, G-Sync and Ultrawide is my jam right now. The only downside is it being harder to drive games than a normal 1440p screen.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

I find it actually makes cockpit views in racing games viable. Without it one cannot feel comfortable driving from that view. Dedicated setups or be are obviously better, but as a simple implementation wide-screen works just fine.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I love it and don't plan to go back. The Blizzard situation with Overwatch is a bit weird. So far after hundreds of hours playing competitive multiplayer games with Ultrawide and without I'll say there isn't really an advantage I've noticed except in extremely rare situations where I'm totally still. In the action while playing a game your vision is focused on the center of the screen usually.

The benefit of Ultrawide comes in it's immersion factor more than any perceived competitive advantage imo. 120hz, G-Sync and Ultrawide is my jam right now. The only downside is it being harder to drive games than a normal 1440p screen.

What 34 inch ultrawide monitor can do 3440x1440 120hz+ with g sync? The only one I've seen is the LG 34GK950G but it isn't natively 120hz, it overclocks to 120.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The Blizzard situation with Overwatch is a bit weird. So far after hundreds of hours playing competitive multiplayer games with Ultrawide and without I'll say there isn't really an advantage I've noticed except in extremely rare situations where I'm totally still. In the action while playing a game your vision is focused on the center of the screen usually.
I don't have the game installed right now to check, but doesn't Overwatch just do a zoom/crop when dealing with ultrawide? If so, wouldn't that be more of a disadvantage over normal 16:9?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
What 34 inch ultrawide monitor can do 3440x1440 120hz+ with g sync? The only one I've seen is the LG 34GK950G but it isn't natively 120hz, it overclocks to 120.

My Asus predator does 100hz out of the box and 120 once you enable overclock from the monitor menu
I think that's the same as that Alienware that's really popular too.
I don't have the game installed right now to check, but doesn't Overwatch just do a zoom/crop when dealing with ultrawide? If so, wouldn't that be more of a disadvantage over normal 16:9?

Yeah, that's why I said it's weird because blizzard is one of the only devs that does that.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
2 years in and I still love my Predator X34. Only thing I'm dissapointed is that I spent almost the entire 2018 playing on the PS4 due to the exclusives

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
My Asus predator does 100hz out of the box and 120 once you enable overclock from the monitor menu
I think that's the same as that Alienware that's really popular too.

Any downsides to monitors that overclock to a higher refresh rate? What's the point? Why don't they just come native at the highest refresh? Are there drawbacks or possibility issues?

The LG g-sync monitor does overclock to 120 which I think I'd be fine with. I'd like a minimum of 120hz.

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
Had my ASUS PG348Q since launch and couldn't be happier, most games work now even if some do need tweaks like SC6

68D0991C93E79F0B1B417804C0C81728D1576535

Hoping for 21:9 HDR monitors before I upgrade again.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Any downsides to monitors that overclock to a higher refresh rate? What's the point? Why don't they just come native at the highest refresh? Are there drawbacks or possibility issues?

The LG g-sync monitor does overclock to 120 which I think I'd be fine with. I'd like a minimum of 120hz.

I think it's a power standards thing, for me I haven't had any issues with the inbuilt OC.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Have not seen a general widescreen gaming thread here, you guys around?

I've hacked together a solution using a 55 inch 4k OLED. Using the Nvidia CP, I set the resolution to 3840 x 1700, giving (slightly less than 21:9) me the effective size of a 52 inch widescreen panel. Here are a few pictures I took just now:

55 inch 4k Widescreen Hack

In the dark, bezels disappear

I don't play all my games this way, mainly RTS and FPS games -- the immersion is really incredible and gives me about a 30% performance boost compared to native 4k. 21:9 is also great for work, as I can have 3 windows open simultaneously. Having a native 16:9 display is nice as well due to more content supporting that aspect ratio.

Resources

http://www.wsgf.org/
http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ultrawidemasterrace#curation
https://www.reddit.com/r/WidescreenWallpaper/ (wallpaper)
Just want to add I've used this custom resolution myself with varied results. A few games recognised the resolution no problem, like Horizon 4 and The Division. Both played in Fullscreen. Other games only worked in Windowed or Borderless windowed like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Xcom 2. Many games didn't recognise it at all like Destiny and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (SofTR was a bit of a surprise because it offers 21:9 anyway). So when it works it's great but very dependent on games.
I also found after some 7 or so hours of trying different games (and my desktop in the custom res) it left two lines on my LG Oled C8. Just image retention but for a while I could still see them in dark scenes etc.
I'm fairly happy with my 21:9 monitor, even though it has light bleed exactly where the screen widens over 16:9. Not sure if a 21:9 HDR monitor is worth it as I don't think HDR is supported in that resolution.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
not gonna lie, I was confused when I glace-read the thread title. I was like wtf are bible verses doing in the gaming sectio---ohhhh nvm got it.

"In Widescreen we trust, for it has the blessings of screen space (the father), the refresh rate (the son), and the syncing tech (the holy spirit)" - 21:9 Ultrawide. Amen.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I think I've reached a decision. I'm probably going to get a 4K TV and run games with a custom resolution as mentioned above, even going so far as to try 3840x1080 which is like 2x 16:9 displays together. I've been reading through the WSGF a lot and quite a few of the games I play (older ones) don't play nice with 21:9 but they do support 4K so it will be like having the best of both worlds. I've been running my current display at 1920x810 and it does work quite nicely.

I didn't really want to commit to a dedicated 21:9 monitor as I have a feeling I might be migrating back to PS5/next Xbox rather than buying a new PC.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I think I've reached a decision. I'm probably going to get a 4K TV and run games with a custom resolution as mentioned above, even going so far as to try 3840x1080 which is like 2x 16:9 displays together. I've been reading through the WSGF a lot and quite a few of the games I play (older ones) don't play nice with 21:9 but they do support 4K so it will be like having the best of both worlds. I've been running my current display at 1920x810 and it does work quite nicely.

I didn't really want to commit to a dedicated 21:9 monitor as I have a feeling I might be migrating back to PS5/next Xbox rather than buying a new PC.
I'm almost at the same point; I feel the same. Additionally what really puts me off is when games support 21:9 at gameplay but show bars in cutscenes. All the gained immersion is out the window at that point and it is ultimately a less consistent experience compared to 16:9 while 21:9 itself is pretty awesome.

I'm thinking about getting a curved 32'' monitor. The size and curved bezel still increase the immersion compared to my standard 24'' non-curved screen, while still offering high compatibility. Also the price is lower. I think in the end this might be a good compromise until 21:9 is 100% supported and gets more common and prices getting lower. Maybe in three to five years, or so.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really mind a game's cutscenes still being 16:9. For right now with how low the amount of users of ultrawide are I think its kind of a big ask for them to be looking at all their framing and storyboarding with wider aspect ratios in mind. As long as the game itself is in 21:9 either officially or through a mod I'm good.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I think i'm going to jump into ultrawide whenever the ROG Swift PG35VQ comes out. I have to have high refresh rate and real HDR so unfortunately that is going to be very expensive, but I haven't purchased an expensive monitor in a while and i've been trying to find that no compromises one for a while now. No compromises would be 4K to some people but I will never be able to run a game at high refresh rates and 4K even with pretty much any PC I could have so I'm willing to drop that part.

Reader

Oct 27, 2017
I've abandoned my Ultrawide monitor for a 16:9 one. I was holding out for the PG45VQ, but I don't think it will be a good purchase for the following reason:
  1. It will cost at least $2,000+. There is a good chance it will be more because of the DAC implementation of it.
I think the biggest factor wil be the price for most people. I ended up choosing PG27UQ as my main montor for the next few years. It has met my expectations on what I wanted from a high-end monitor.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm now the owner of a HP Omen X35, which offers 100hz, G-Sync and a curved 35 inch panel with 3440x1440. I also have a 32'' BenQ 2160p monitor and I'm very indecisive. While the 21:9 monitor offers great immersion with 21:9 games, the 32'' monitor offers more 'real estate' in games that won't support 21:9. PPI is also noticable higher, but here I have to run games at native 4k to take fully advantage of it, which is quite hard for my GTX 1070.

So I'm not sure if I should keep the 150 bucks cheaper 32'' monitor and could always go for a custom 21:9 resolution (which would be smaller in area than on the 21:9 monitor, though) and enjoy the majority of games in big 16:9. Running games in 1440p though takes a hit on the image quality, depending on the game.

Both are somewhat future proof, with more games releasing with 21:9 support, but also graphics cards in the next years that will handle 4k better.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I returned both monitors. A few words to my ultra widescreen experience with the Omen X35 (which I cannot recommend, unfortunately).

The black levels are somewhat disappointing, color banding is there and made many images look worse than on my old TN panel, and although it is supposed to be a VA panel it doesn't really offer significant better colors and contrasts than my 9 years old Samsung TN panel. On the other hand you get the VA typical motion blur due it's 'low' respond times, even with 100hz it doesn't feel as smooth as it should be (with monitors with faster respond times). And while it's nice to have a six-step option for the respond times, only one is really viable, because the faster ones give you horrible ghosting on dark pixels. And I mean really, really, clearly visible ghosting artifacts. No hyperbole.

The deal breaker in the end was the incapability of outputting several resolutions. I used to use custom resolutions, mostly for downsampling. In this case, I added a resolution of 2560x1080 opposed to the native 3440x1440 in case it's too demanding for some games. Turns out this monitor won't support it! It'll lose the signal and give out a black screen until you change the resolution again. Also some 16:9 custom resolutions like 3200x1800 (for games without proper 21:9 support) gave me the same issues. Even 3840x2160. The only viable solutions this monitor supports are 3440x1440 and 2560x1440, and lower 16:9 resolutions. But not even 2560x1080, which should work perfectly, didn't work. (On that note: Nvidia's CP wouldn't even let me add mentioned resolutions, I forced it via the Custom DSR Tool. I also tried it without G-Sync because I thought it might interfere with it. But nope.)

For 500 bucks these are too many drawbacks, and I'm not ready to spend (way) over 1,000 bucks on a new monitor that might be better.

Apart from that I really liked the format and the big, curved panel. It's so much more pleasant to look at, but not for this price. I will wait until this tech becomes more affordable (maybe when it loses its niche-status and surcharge) and offers little to no compromises.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The deal breaker in the end was the incapability of outputting several resolutions. I used to use custom resolutions, mostly for downsampling. In this case, I added a resolution of 2560x1080 opposed to the native 3440x1440 in case it's too demanding for some games. Turns out this monitor won't support it! It'll lose the signal and give out a black screen until you change the resolution again. Also some 16:9 custom resolutions like 3200x1800 (for games without proper 21:9 support) gave me the same issues. Even 3840x2160. The only viable solutions this monitor supports are 3440x1440 and 2560x1440, and lower 16:9 resolutions. But not even 2560x1080, which should work perfectly, didn't work. (On that note: Nvidia's CP wouldn't even let me add mentioned resolutions, I forced it via the Custom DSR Tool. I also tried it without G-Sync because I thought it might interfere with it. But nope.)
Did you not have GPU scaling enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel?
The GPU should never be outputting anything other than your monitor's native resolution, and scaling anything else to that internally.
That way it switches much faster, and should never be unable to display a resolution.

Unfortunately DSR only supports downscaling, and enabling DSR will disable custom resolution support.
If you were trying to output 2560x1080 via DSR, that won't work. I wish it did, and I wish that DSR was not limited to ten custom resolutions total.

NVIDIA changed the registry location for monitor settings a while back, so if the tool you used was built before then, it would not have worked.
I'm even using non-standard aspect ratios like 1.6:1 for some of my custom resolutions, as that was required to display some older games like System Shock 1 correctly (it was originally designed for 320x200).
custom-dsr-6kkbz.png

The main issue I've run into with DSR is that some older games will refuse to launch or crash immediately when you try to change the resolution if any dimension has more than four digits; e.g. 10,320x4320 or ultrawide "8K".

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Did you not have GPU scaling enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel?
Yes, I always have GPU scaling enabled. DSR only work with downscaling is a shame and wasn't really a problem until I used that 3440x1440 monitor (naturally, there's no need to upscaling with a 1080p monitor paired with a GTX 1070). That also explains why DSR won't work on my 4k screen, ouputting 3200x1800. But at least here custom resolutions work and I don't need DSR (4k is all I need anyways, if performance is good enough, even in older games).

The tool I used worked with the new registry location as the resolutions appeared on the Windows display setting. I can't remember if the resolutions worked there, but they definitely did not in games (older and modern ones). Maybe there are ways around it, but ultimately I ended up just being tired fiddling around. That was just the last drop that made return the monitor.