• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
A judge sentenced Somerville to the jail time, plus one year on probation and 150 hours of community service after he failed to serve on a jury Aug. 21. Somerville was released Sunday and has a hearing scheduled Friday.
After a long day of sitting and waiting, Somerville said he was picked to serve as a juror on a civil case and was told to return the following day at 9 a.m.
ADVERTISEMENT

But he missed his alarm and woke up around 11 or 11:30 a.m. It was almost time to head to his afternoon job so he didn't bother going to the courthouse or calling the bailiff. He just hoped it would all just work out.
Inside the courtroom, he said Judge John Kastrenakes explained that Somerville's negligence delayed the court by 45 minutes.
ADVERTISEMENT

"They handcuffed me in the courtroom after that," said Somerville, who spent the next 10 days in jail. He said his first jail experience wasn't scary, but he prayed daily and wrote in a notebook.

and yes, he's black.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird. I had Federal jury duty, the first date was cancelled and the 2nd date was moved back. I overslept on the make-up date and never heard from them again

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems excessive, but given his skin color I'm likely to think there's something rotten in Denmark. Poor guy.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm SURE there are plenty of cases like that when the poor bastard is white, they just didn't make the news.

Right ?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is funny/sad reading after last week's Giant Beastcast where everyone was talking about jury duty.

May 25, 2019
London
I think they may have been more understanding if he called and explained. Just ignoring your screw-up and hoping it all works out isn't a recipe for success.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Not sure why he thought it would just work out and never called. But yeah fuck that sentence.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
Let's play "Guess the Punishment" for these two crimes:

1. Using your influence as POTUS to get foreign countries to interfere with with elections in your favor.

2. Missing one day of jury duty

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
For most people in the US, an unscheduled 10-day absence from work will easily lose you your job. For many people in the US, missing one paycheck is the line between having a home and homelessness. While thankfully it doesn't sound like it's the case here (though it certainly has other repercussions), the judge's decision could have easily put someone out on the street, all because of a mistake that apparently did a whopping 45-minutes of damage.

Since the article seems coy on naming him, fuck you Judge John Kastrenakes.

EDIT: as this has been misread multiple times now, I guess I need to explicitly point out that when I say you can lose your job, I am saying that is a potential consequence of spending 10 days in jail, not of serving on a jury. Yes, I am well aware your job is protected if you are summoned to serve on a jury; that is not part of my grievance here. Your job is not protected if you end up having to miss 10 unscheduled days of work because you are in jail, depending on where you work and what sort of leave policy is in place.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the public defendant that is trying to get the probation reduced, he should be trying to get the whole damn thing thrown out

"Now I have a record. I almost feel like a criminal now. Now, I have to explain this in every interview," said Somerville, who said he plans to go to school to become a firefighter.

Records are only for poor blacks, not rich white dudes that rape

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...I don't even have to click anymore.

He SHOULD have called, but regardless, that is an insane sentence for missing jury duty, and I'm willing to bet that they usually only throw the book at, ahem...SOME people who fail to show up.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He should have called but that sentence is absolutely ridiculous. Give him some community service time and call it a day. Youve just seriously fucked someones life up because of one single mistake. Judges like this are a disgrace.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I didn't show up for my jury duty a couple years ago and nothing happened

That's different though. If you don't show up at all, probably nothing happens (though they threaten fines, but if it's not certified mail I'm not sure how they prove you got it). The guy made the mistake of showing up and then got picked for a trial and was supposed to return the next day.

I thought you were protected from being fired for missing work for jury duty? Granted, you can still go broke and if you own your own business or are a contractor you're going to be screwed either way.

edit: oh, you mean missing work because of the jailtime.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
Damn that's harsh.

He should have called in probably but still. This will greatly affect his life moving forward.

Nov 27, 2017
This sucks, but it's not the same as the people on here saying they missed jury duty. This guy went to jury duty and WAS SELECTED AS A JUROR. And then he didn't show up when the trial started. I can see there being a much bigger penalty for that.

He should've notified them. But it still doesn't look good.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Jury Duty can suck and be a hassle, but not having a trial by a Jury would suck even worse. It ensures the right to a trial by our peers, and can potetially be a unique experience.

But I can agree on your 2nd part.
Eh. Jury duty was created before video, audio recordings, and photographs existed. Today jury duty can traumatize and leave jurors with PTSD and other severe issues.

The system needs revised.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
After passing the sentence, did the judge give him a hug whilst telling him that mistakes happen and to accept Jesus into his life for redemption?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The guy didn't just miss the jury duty wait list, or even the waiting pool, he was selected to be on the jury and just never showed up.

Agree with everyone that the punishment is ridiclous. give him a fine and some community service and call it a day.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
That sentence is too harsh but this happens all the time. If you are picked to be on a jury and you don't show up for the trial, you will be arrested. It's extremely basic stuff.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he should definitely be penalized, but that's pretty damn extreme. I was thinking "Yeah, that could screw up the court immensely if a juror doesn't show up." but 45 minutes is almost nothing. Not worth 10 days in jail +.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I say a small fine would be ok, anything beyond that is excessive

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For most people in the US, an unscheduled 10-day absence from work will easily lose you your job. For many people in the US, missing one paycheck is the line between having a home and homelessness. While thankfully it doesn't sound like it's the case here (though it certainly has other repercussions), the judge's decision could have easily put someone out on the street, all because of a mistake that apparently did a whopping 45-minutes of damage.

Since the article seems coy on naming him, fuck you Judge John Kastrenakes.
You cannot be fire for missing work due to jury duty. You also get paid as a juror.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's weird. I had Federal jury duty, the first date was cancelled and the 2nd date was moved back. I overslept on the make-up date and never heard from them again

This guy was already selected to be on a jury. What he missed was the actual trial

but this is still ridiculous

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I could see a fine going up to a few hundred

10 days? this judge is power tripping