22 games are hitting Switch this week (in North America), the most in a week since it launched

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by chronomac, Dec 6, 2017.

1. chronomac

chronomac Member Original Poster

22 games over four days, from Tuesday to Friday:

Tuesday, December 5th
    Wednesday, December 6th
    Thursday, December 7th
    Friday, December 8th
    For comparison's sake, we had 10 new games on launch week (from just March 3 to 4) and 8 the week after. The second biggest week for the system was from September 24 to 30 when we had 18 games. This trumps all of that.

I pulled the information from my own Switch schedule thread. Here are the numbers graphed, week by week:

[​IMG]

This train ain't stopping anytime soon.

2. Nintendo

Nintendo Member

Never heard of any of these except WWE. Human Fall Flat looks nice though.

3. steveovig

steveovig Member

Gunbird for me

All aboard the Vita 2.0 train, choo choo!

In all seriousness, it's taken the spot that the Vita had which was the home for small, weird, interesting games. Glad to see developers giving it support.

5. JJAwiiu

JJAwiiu Member

Cool information and graphs. But are we getting mostly shovelware?

6. Casual

Casual Member

Goes a long way to prove the quality > quantity argument.

7. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard Member

Nope.

8. CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths Member

Getting Phantom Breaker for sure, maybe Yodanji too.

9. Phantom Thief

Phantom Thief Member

In for Sexy Brutale

10. Savinowned

Savinowned Member

Anyone want to sell me on one of these? I'm curious if any of them previewed well.

11. Aktlys

Aktlys Member

many nice games

12. pswii60

pswii60 Member

Didn't realise Gunbird was coming to Switch. Great stuff, remember playing that on the DC back in the day.

13. Raijinto

Raijinto Member

The Sexy Brutale is a clever if a little short puzzle/adventure/point-and-click game, very reminiscent of Ghost Trick Phantom Detective, if you've ever played that game (probably not). Definitely a quality game.

14. Asbsand

Asbsand Member

I know maybe two of those games. I hope the Switch store won't end up looking like previous eShops at the end of the cycle. So much filler.

15. steveovig

steveovig Member

That was the sequel actually but that'll probably end up on the Switch too, I imagine. Same basic gameplay.

16. Toon Link

Toon Link Member

I only found out that The Sexy Brutale was coming to Switch today, but I'm excited. I'll be picking it up on Switch.

When is that online shooter that has players bodies shrinking and enlargening coming out? Thought it would be this year on Switch?

18. Bjones

Bjones Member

It’s the steam problem for me. A few of those games are great, but will get lost in th crowd.

19. Dynamite Cop

Dynamite Cop Member

Same here. The page mentions it's the third volume of Psikyo content.. I don't remember what the first two were.

Edit: Looks like it was Strikers 1945 and Gunbarich!

20. MrValtor

MrValtor Member

Uhm, except most of these are actually good to very good games

21. BDGAME

BDGAME Member

Lots of games for sure. Now is time to choose well... And find time to play.

22. MagiKestral24

MagiKestral24 Member

Sexy Brutale is based on a majora's mask time system in which you have to solve puzzles, Human Fall Flat is a Gang Beasts-esque physics based 3D platformer, and Teslagrad is a beautiful 2D platformer. All three got good to amazing reviews, and I can recommend them all. I'm sure there's gems other than those (9 parchments looks nice), but those are the ones I have experience with.

23. Stuart

Stuart Member

Not shovelware, but games which released on other consoles years ago.

24. borghe

borghe Member

I was looking at the Sexy Brutale on PS4 a couple of months back. Totally forgot about it. Switch version it is!!

a ton of great games on there (check MC). the worst that can be said is that the really good ones are ports from consoles where they've been around for a couple months or years.

Though scoring Nine Parchments as a timed console exclusive is definitely solid.

TouchBattleTankSP is news to me, it also seems to be localized by Silver Star themselves for the first time ever, rather than Circle or the still MIA Agetec.

Great thread idea BTW! Honestly wouldn't mind weekly threads so these don't get lost in the shuffle.

26. tyraniboah

tyraniboah Member

Teslagrad or Steamworld Dig 2? I need help deciding lol

27. No Depth

No Depth Member

Please don’t let Gunbird have a garbage tile.

28. Emily

Emily Administrator

Next week is building a decent lineup of indie games too.

Yooka-Laylee, Never Stop Sneakin, Bleed, Unepic, The End is Nigh, Poly Bridge.

;/

*keeps waiting for hollow knight*

30. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard Member

31. sredgrin

sredgrin Member

And really, not even particularly good ones. Not all neccessarily terrible, but a lot of "bundle fodder"

Sexy Brutale is the only real standout (and possibly Nine Parchments). Riptide isn't bad in a "good for its mobile origins" way.

32. Asbsand

Asbsand Member

By all means, I believe you and it's good everyone has a lot of little good gems to play but it's just, I'm really snobby with games and I hate browsing through 10 carbon copies of other popular games every page to find something worthwhile. It's so greedy of me to say, but I wish there were less "merely good" games lol.

33. srtrestre

srtrestre Member

Even more appropriate now than last time I posted it:

[​IMG]

34. m43lstr0m

m43lstr0m Member

35. borghe

borghe Member

ehh... I'd say Teslagrad, Slain, Nine Parchments and Gunbird are all pretty notable. Human Fall Flat also looks really good.

36. AM_LIGHT

AM_LIGHT Member

Switch has become my go to console for indies

37. herbchamberz

herbchamberz Member

Oh shit! Sexy Brutale!

Edit: Oh shit! Floor Kids!

38. Irate Bandit

Irate Bandit Member

Teslagrad is a really good game.

39. chronomac

chronomac Member Original Poster

I could probably do that. Probably worth it at this point too.

40. maximumzero

maximumzero Member

The eShop is turning into a dumping ground of software a bit too quickly. It's not quite Steam levels of bad yet but the Wii U and 3DS eShops are absolutely inundated with trash and I was hopeful the Switch eShop wouldn't get that bad so quickly.

41. Tizoc

Tizoc Member

Who is publishing these Psikyo games on the Switch?

I wish WWE 2K18 was actually good because I'd probably be in the market for it.

43. sredgrin

sredgrin Member

Slain is pretty, but even after the patching I would hesitate to call it a good game. It's okayish? It's certainly BETTER than when it launched, at least. Teslagrad I found bland. Gunbird I haven't played so will give you that.

44. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard Member

Well, that hasn't happened yet. There is very little "trash" on the Switch eShop as of now. It's not comparable to 3DS or Wii U at all.

45. cw_sasuke

cw_sasuke Member

Everything you dont know = shovelware ? Thats a bit easy.

Slain: Back from Hell is one of my favorite action games on Steam. It's (somewhat justly) overlooked because the devs released it in a bad state and it reviewed poorly. The 'Back from Hell' subtitle was added upon its greatly improved re-release. It's for fans of Classicvania games, and plays comparably to Odallus or Volgarr. Big emphasis on parrying attacks.

47. Bigg

Bigg Member

I have heard too many good things about Sexy Brutale to ignore it. Might wait a few months until I'm not so inundated with games to play, though.

48. maximumzero

maximumzero Member

Still, 22 games in one week is just too much. Anyone looking to have their game stand out on a recent releases page is fucked.

49. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard Member

Not sure what Nintendo can do then. There's another thread on this site talking about how NoA is curating too much. I tend to agree with that viewpoint a bit more, but both points are worth discussing.

50. Sardello

Sardello Member

I need some reviews to understand what this “floor kids” is.

I want it even if I can’t really understand the gameplay... the “choose your style” approach scares me. I hope it’s a clever rhythm game