• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
  1. moon (Onion Games)
  2. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition (Square-Enix)
  3. Dragon Quest III (Square-Enix)
  4. Untitled Goose Game (Panic)
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo)
  6. Cuphead (StudioMDHR)
  7. Minna de Kuuki Yomi 2 ~Reiwa~ (G-mode)
  8. Overcooked 2 (Team17)
  9. Minecraft (Mojang)
  10. Dead by Daylight (Behaviour Interactive)

Notes: Period counted 05 – 11 October. Brand new number one and five Dragon Quest titles in the top 10! New entries and preloads are bolded.

Source: https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/10/11/nintendo-switch-eshop-charts-21/

A description of Moon:

"Moon deviates from typical RPG elements, turning tropes commonly associated with the genre on their head. "Have you ever played an RPG and wondered [w]hy [it's] OK that this hero is breaking into houses and stealing items from people's drawers?" Onion Games wrote to explain what the game is all about. In Moon, your character is transported into an RPG he's been playing in game. Instead of fighting and killing monsters in that world -- it's a zero-battle game -- he collects "Love" from them instead."

moon was made for the PS1 by former members of Square who had worked on Romancing SaGa, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. It became a classic for turning RPG tropes on its head, going as far as calling itself an anti-RPG and keeping a unique atmosphere bordering between the bizarre and absurd. It also has a soundtrack made by 30 indie bands of the time, which was a huge feat and maybe the first of its kind.

It was also mentioned as an influence from Toby Fox for the creation of Undertale and has even met the director in person.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Day 1.

Maybe this will make Nintendo wonder about how other older/obscure/cult games would sell - if only they were made available for sale. Maybe.

Probably not.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fantastic! and it was doing really good in the chart when it was only up for pre-purchase too.
would be really cool if the game is a hit after all these years, hopefully it sells well in the west too.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
What a strange ass turn of events. Kimura became my fucking gaming god ever since I first laid my hands on Chulip and slowly worked through the rest of his stuff and other works he was a part of. Waiting for that fan translation of Moon was like my weekly flogging ritual, along with visiting umbrella labs for RE 1.5 news. I'm glad at least that's over and Moon, a game far far ahead of its time, has been dusted off and polished for everybody to experience (i can't fucking wait.)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was hyped for this until I found out there are no battles, anyone here that play this think this is still fun even without battles?

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
This game is the best selling game on the eshop after two weeks??!! Or am I misunderstanding?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like it will sell more than the original release lol. I mean which game ever pulled such a feat? I remember a poster back at the other place hyping this game up and it peaked my interest back then. I'm finally going to try it for my self and see what all the fuss is all about.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm pretty pumped for this. Pretty sure it's being translated into English by Tim Rogers, which makes it even sweeter.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm still amazed this is being localised at long last. Finally getting Seiken Densetsu 3 and Romancing Saga 3 is fantastic, but this was just so out of the blue!

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Out of interest, do we have any sales figures for the original release? I have it in my mind that it's one of those ultra-cult classics that didn't make a breakthrough at the time, but that might be the wrong impression.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest, do we have any sales figures for the original release? I have it in my mind that it's one of those ultra-cult classics that didn't make a breakthrough at the time, but that might be the wrong impression.
[PS1] Moon: Remix RPG Adventure <RPG> (ASCII Entertainment) {1997.10.16} - ??? / 99.365

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
[PS1] Moon: Remix RPG Adventure <RPG> (ASCII Entertainment) {1997.10.16} - ??? / 99.365

That's perhaps a little higher than I was imagining, but I suspect that may be in part because I'm looking at it through the mindset of 2019 sales figures for moderate titles, not 1997 sales figures for such titles.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's perhaps a little higher than I was imagining, but I suspect that may be in part because I'm looking at it through the mindset of 2019 sales figures for moderate titles, not 1997 sales figures for such titles.
yeah. i think in 2019 that number would be pretty respectable for a game like moon.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I have been incredibly excited to play this ever since I found out it is releasing in English! I found out about its existence earlier this year while doing some research in the Petscop web series and have been very intrigued by Moon since then, so I eagerly anticipate more news regarding a Western release.

actionbutton

Jan 28, 2019
New York
I'm pretty pumped for this. Pretty sure it's being translated into English by Tim Rogers, which makes it even sweeter.
This is true! And I feel the same way haha

making my first post ever here to say that this is actually not true

(where by "not true" i refer to your use of the present progressive verb "is being")

in all seriousness, though: hello, yes, i did big big translate of the video game; please be ready

ok, in actual seriousness: i am glad to see people here excited about this game! it means an extreme amount to me personally that i got to translate it, so i hope a large number of people try it out and have their minds destroyed as mine was one night way back in 2003.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

(where by "not true" i refer to your use of the present progressive verb "is being")

in all seriousness, though: hello, yes, i did big big translate of the video game; please be ready

ok, in actual seriousness: i am glad to see people here excited about this game! it means an extreme amount to me personally that i got to translate it, so i hope a large number of people try it out and have their minds destroyed as mine was one night way back in 2003.

Thank you for your work, I have a feeling your voice will be especially suitable for a game like moon. Or maybe it's moon that was a factor in giving you this voice?

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
In Moon, your character is transported into an RPG he's been playing in game.

So it's an isekai RPG?

I've never even actually heard of this game before, but seeing it's from former staff from Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG definitely have me a bit more interested now.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

Holy shit! Amazing! This is so out of the blue. I have wanted to play this game for so long.

Coincidentally just last month I heard there was a PSX rom fan translation begun back in 2011 that was nearing completion and was being tested. I guess that's a separate thing.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Moon RPG received a physical release and is now #1 in Amazon Japan's ranking.
The game just keep on winning