• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Game of the Year
God of War
Into the Breach
Marvel's Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2
Return of the Obra Dinn

Outstanding Achievement in Animation
God of War
GRIS
Marvel's Spider-Man
Moss
Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
GRIS
Marvel's Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2

Outstanding Achievement in Character
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Kassandra)
God of War (Atreus)
God of War (Kratos)
Marvel's Spider-Man (Peter Parker/Spider-Man)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Arthur Morgan)

Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition
Forgotton Anne
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
Tetris Effect

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design
Battlefield V
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
Moss

Outstanding Achievement in Story
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Florence
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
Return of the Obra Dinn

Outstanding Technical Achievement
ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission
Battlefield V
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2

Action Game of the Year
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Celeste
Destiny 2: Forsaken
Far Cry 5
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Adventure Game of the Year
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2
Return of the Obra Dinn

Family Game of the Year
ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission
Kirby Star Allies
LEGO DC Super-Villains
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
Unravel Two

Fighting Game of the Year
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
SOULCALIBUR VI
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Racing Game of the Year
Forza Horizon 4
F1 2018
Wreckfest

Role-Playing Game of the Year
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Monster Hunter World
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Sports Game of the Year
FIFA 19
Mario Tennis Aces
MLB The Show 18

Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year
Bad North
Frostpunk
Into the Breach
Northgard
RimWorld

Immersive Reality Technical Achievement
ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission
Beat Saber
Dr. Grordbort's Invaders
Tónandi
Torn

Immersive Reality Game of the Year
ASTRO BOT Rescue Mission
Beat Saber
Moss
Sprint Vector
Transference

Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game
Celeste
Florence
Into the Breach
Minit
Return of the Obra Dinn

Portable Game of the Year
Dandara
Donut County
Dragalia Lost
Florence
Oddmar

Online Game of the Year
Fortnite
Destiny 2: Forsaken
Laser League
Red Dead Redemption 2
Sea of Thieves

Outstanding Achievement in Game Design
God of War
Into the Breach
Marvel's Spider-Man
Return of the Obra Dinn
Subnautica

Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction
Florence
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption 2
Return of the Obra Dinn

Most Nominations:
God of War - 12
Marvel's Spider-Man - 11
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 8
Return of the Obra Dinn - 6

The D.I.C.E. awards will be streamed live at 8 p.m. PT on Feb. 13

Close me down if old.

Last edited:

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
how is mhw not in outstanding achievement of animation? i have never seen better animated monsters in my life

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably safe to say that God of War will sweep, right? Pleasantly surprised to see Spider-Man have almost as many nominations as God of War, but it's well deserved, imo. I wonder how salty people will be that Red Dead has fewer nominations than Spider-Man, lol

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always confused with what goes into categories like "Best Action" vs "Best Adventure".

Because the action is great in God of War and Spider-Man, and Tomb Raider is as much of an "adventure" as a lot of other games.

Genres are weird.

Also: Much like with every one of these events, "Best Fighting Game" is just a list of every non-indie fighter that released last year.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
That music category is actual wack. Also the Action and Adventure categories are strange. Can you get more broad and meaningless as Action and Adventure?

Just noticed Red Dead Online is a nominee for Online game of the year??? Naaaaaaah.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Some baffling stuff there. Notably, the fact that RDR2 is missing from Story & Music but is nominated in Online (?????).

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition
Forgotton Anne
God of War
Marvel's Spider-Man
Tetris Effect

josef-fares.jpg

Octopath deserves it

Didn't know Marvel-esk generic orchestral background scores counts as genius (not saying every game in that list fits this category, but yeah)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yo where the fuck Octopath at in the Music category? It's actually incredible.

Some baffling stuff there. Notably, the fact that RDR2 is missing from Story & Music but is nominated in Online (?????).
while I think Red Dead's Story wasn't actually that amazing (Arthur is the interesting aspect) it's strange Spider-Man has the nominations for Story and especially Music and Sound Design over Red Dead.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Yeah, not feeling some of the nominations. MHW, Octopath, and Smash Ultimate getting snubbed on various.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 nominated for its shitty online but not its story that is arguably its most praised aspect?

giphy.gif

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
that music category continuing to show that these people don't know what good music is.
Overall Celeste getting robbed.
Happy to see Into the Breach getting noms.
Octopath continues to get robbed.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
while I think Red Dead's Story wasn't actually that amazing (Arthur is the interesting aspect) it's strange Spider-Man has the nominations for Story and especially Music and Sound Design over Red Dead.

Yeah, I suppose it's kind of a blurry distinction between Character & Story, and it might kind of feel like RDR2 is double-dipping if it's nominated for both Character and Story. However, RDR's story is really the story of Arthur, and it's a real doozy. In my opinion, it's genuinely one of the best, most rich stories ever told in a game.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
RDR2 not being nominated for story is weird. I have some big problems with that game but acknowledge that its narrative is one of the best ever seen in a game.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 should've been in the music category over Spidey IMO. The music wasn't particularly memorable in Spider-Man outside of the main theme, whereas RDR2 had countless tracks that I've revisited after playing the game.

Last edited:

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
RDR2 should've been in the music category over Spidey IMO. The music wasn't particularly memorable in Spider-Man outside of the main theme, whereas RDR2 had countless tracks that I've revisted after playing the game.

That's the way it is.

:'(

I literally can't hear that song without tearing up.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
RDR 2 is not nominated for music and story, but it is nominated for it's shitty online portion? Like really. Spider-man should be switched for RDR 2 both categories imo. I do like that Detroit is getting some love for its music though.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man's music was discount Raimi movie music. RDR2 music was art. These are the truths of the world.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The lack of Octopsth Traveler in the music category is a shame, but I seem to remember them snubbing Nier Automata and Persona 5 last year as well.

Not saying that the soundtracks nominated are bad though - they're all pretty enjoyable and worthy of merit - but Octopsth is definitely missing

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
first time since I have memory that the Dice Award Nominees actually make sense
The lack of Octopsth Traveler in the music category is a shame, but I seem to remember them snubbing Nier Automata and Persona 5 last year as well.
Yeah, usually the nominees are just... awful. But! I think it had something to do with the companies being not affiliated or something like that? I once read something like that, they couldn't be nominated rather than they weren't nominated

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Astrobot should win every category it is nominated for. Anything lesser and it would be an unpardonable sin by mankind.

Go Astrobot!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
No RDR2 for best story makes this entire award a joke. That's absurd, cannot take this seriously.

Also no nomination for music, nuts.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
first time since I have memory that the Dice Award Nominees actually make sense

Yeah, usually the nominees are just... awful. But! I think it had something to do with the companies being not affiliated or something like that? I once read something like that, they couldn't be nominated rather than they weren't nominated
Could well be - I know BAFTA have a similar thing where you have to submit yourself to be nominated which is why there's usually some talk of snubs when those noms come round

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I would nominate RDR 2 for its story, I even would give it the award but there are seeeerious redundancies and pacing issues with it imo.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would nominate RDR 2 for its story, I even would give it the award but there are seeeerious redundancies and pacing issues with it imo.

I only found its story issues to surface towards the end of chapter 6 where some things just don't make sense as to why they happened and there was just an overall better way to end that whole fiasco that isn't paced poorly. Besides that, I is fine with it.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I only found its story issues to surface towards the end of chapter 6 where some things just don't make sense as to why they happened and there was just an overall better way to end that whole fiasco that isn't paced poorly. Besides that, I is fine with it.

I found that there are like 4 chapters that are actually the same, you just know the characters better but the characters are the story so it's ok in a way, I just think it shouldn't be the same premise and structure in every chapter.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
That's really odd , the nominees seem solid, except RDR2 should absolutely be in and honestly winning the story and music categories . Those are the only parts of the game along with the ridiculous visuals that I felt were actually top of it's class.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Online Game of the Year
rdr2

RDR2 actually has no business being here and I can only assume the people who were nominating just couldn't think of another game to put there. Like how does it get on there but Black Ops 4 doesn't?

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the thought process was for excluding RDR2 on story. I could see if it they were genuinely separating out character/character arc from narrative. I think most would agree that Arthur has the best character arc this year and was just an all around fantastic character. The game's narrative, however, is pretty weak in places. Huge swathes of things could have been cut from chapters 2 and 3 so that things didn't seem like they were retreading the same beats. Chapter 5 was all around terrible, and as others have mentioned, there are moments in 6 that don't make 100% sense or just bog down the story a bit in places. Finally, most of the epilogue was boring and unnecessary. Overall, it's a good story, but padded too much and has bad pacing.

Oct 27, 2017
Observations, as someone who played most of the nominees but not some non-nominated games:

Seems like the Adventure Game category had room for a couple of other choices.

No 2D games in Outstanding Achievement in Animation to nominate?

Online Game - RDR2 online hasn't been out long enough, not sure about that nom

Outstanding Achievement in Character - there were no other characters to nominate? The art and the portrayals were great, but most of these characters were already videogame-standard types. At least Kassandra got a nomination.

Outstanding Achievement in Story - AC Odyssey's story was good and well-told, but not earth-shattering. Same with Spider-Man. Were there no other compelling narratives to nominate? RDR2 even?

Having awards for "indie" and "portable" show that the AIAS preference for heavy-hitters comes from dedicated machines or home appliances. The distinction is decreasing each year.

The rest seem to be well enough.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the thought process was for excluding RDR2 on story. I could see if it they were genuinely separating out character/character arc from narrative. I think most would agree that Arthur has the best character arc this year and was just an all around fantastic character. The game's narrative, however, is pretty weak in places. Huge swathes of things could have been cut from chapters 2 and 3 so that things didn't seem like they were retreading the same beats. Chapter 5 was all around terrible, and as others have mentioned, there are moments in 6 that don't make 100% sense or just bog down the story a bit in places. Finally, most of the epilogue was boring and unnecessary. Overall, it's a good story, but padded too much and has bad pacing.

Yeah I mostly agree with all of that, but it's not like the nominations in that category are particularly strong so I still think it deserves a nod. Not being nominated for best music is more egregious to me but it really should be nominated for both. And I'm not even a big RDR2 fan