• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mostly agree with all of that, but it's not like the nominations in that category are particularly strong so I still think it deserves a nod. Not being nominated for best music is more egregious to me but it really should be nominated for both. And I'm not even a big RDR2 fan

Regardless of its faults, I agree. It certainly is a thought provoking/controversial omission, which is why I'd love to learn the reasoning.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Red Dead for Story?

No Red Dead or Celeste for Best Music?

Sea of Thieves over MH:W for Best Online Game?

Some weird omissions here.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably safe to say that God of War will sweep, right? Pleasantly surprised to see Spider-Man have almost as many nominations as God of War, but it's well deserved, imo. I wonder how salty people will be that Red Dead has fewer nominations than Spider-Man, lol

These are the guys that picked fallout 4 over Witcher 3 and bloodborne for goty so I wouldn't be so sure......

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
how is mhw not in outstanding achievement of animation? i have never seen better animated monsters in my life
I would say that how ascension still have the best monster/abstract living things animations, especially of flying monsters.
Besides gows new hit detection is just outstanding compared to mhw.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Who chooses what gets nominated? This is a bit odd. RDR2 may not deserv a win for the story award but it should absolutely be nominated, same goes for the music which is superb and the sound as well which is pretty insane with all the tiny details.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Outstanding Achievement in Character
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Kassandra)

God of War (Atreus)
God of War (Kratos)
Marvel's Spider-Man (Peter Parker/Spider-Man)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Arthur Morgan)

ccelebritiesfotoGIF-Jose-Mourinho-taunts.gif

Everyone knows the superior sibling.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really like RDR2, and especially not the story, but it really should've gotten a nomination for its soundtrack at least.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 definitely should have been nominated for music, but I agree with it not being up for best story. Arthur's personal story was great, but I had major issues with Dutch and the way things went down feeling rather contrived. That's why Arthur is up for best character but the overall story isn't nominated.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA

Correct - and each person is commenting on stuff in their field of expertise. So they get copies of all the games from the publishers, and as a group check them out and discuss. I don't know the procedures inside the panel, but from talking to Insomniacs involved, there's a lot of e-mail discussion and back and forth as people play all the games, and narrow in on the ones that they think are most impressive in the craft/field.

It's a thought through process with game development professionals evaluating their field.

Even the actual voting for awards is then limited to people in those specific fields - so a designer will vote on certain categories but not say the technical ones.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying that the D.I.C.E. Awards aren't credible b/c they gave GOTY to Fallout 4 over Witcher 3 crack me up. Let's just ignore the fact that 57 other outlets did too. Personally I have no issue with RDR2 not being up for Best Story or Best Soundtrack. The story is a mess in places. Now it being up for Best online game is another story as it really has no business being up for that with the lack of content and issues that the online has currently.

That said glad to see Spider-Man up for so many awards and to see Astro Bot and Detroit getting some nomination love as well.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No Far Cry 5 and especially RDR2 which probably has the best music of any entertainment product ever is shocking.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They need to get some better ass experts if they're tossing Red Dead Online in as a nom. That is, in a word:

Wack.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They needed a fifth nominee, they added it. Hell, they even remember Laser League which is dead on PC, that's how difficult it was for them to find more games.

I find that hard to believe in a year where Monster Hunter World and the Call of Duty game that is entirely online for the first time ever released.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I only found its story issues to surface towards the end of chapter 6 where some things just don't make sense as to why they happened and there was just an overall better way to end that whole fiasco that isn't paced poorly. Besides that, I is fine with it.
Care to elaborate about Ch. 6?

But yeah, I can sort of understand why RDR2 didn't get the nom for story (though it imo absolutely deserves it), but they definitely snubbed on music. I mean, they got fucking D'Angelo, 3/5 of Queens of the Stone Age and Willie Nelson to do do songs. And that's ignoring all the ambient music.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Care to elaborate about Ch. 6?

But yeah, I can sort of understand why RDR2 didn't get the nom for story (though it imo absolutely deserves it), but they definitely snubbed on music. I mean, they got fucking D'Angelo, 3/5 of Queens of the Stone Age and Willie Nelson to do do songs. And that's ignoring all the ambient music.

I made a post about my issues with chapter 6 shortly after completing it, here it is:

That first sign of Dutch leaving Arthur to die should have been an immediate sign to Arthur. I was really hoping Arthur would come out of that and physically attack Dutch in that moment because it was all too obvious. I felt that should have been to climax to the chaos Dutch has ensued, but instead we get the whole train heist part afterwards that feels like it's trying to tie everything up all at once, between finding the moment John is left to die, when Milton is finally dealt with and how the gang ultimately falls apart. I feel this is the part where there are too many climaxes coming one after the other.

And it's because of these too many climaxes that the story starts to not make sense. First of all, the reveal that Micah is a rat. What exactly was the point of Micah becoming a rat? Especially after the train heist which would have left them all set for life. It all just brought the Pinkertons down on them for no reason. Was Micah just trying to maximize his gain at the cost of everyone else, by both robbing the train and helping the Pinkertons? Wouldn't doing one of these things negate the reason for doing the other? This Micah doesn't make sense.

And then there are the different endings. I did the high honor/help John one and that's when things got a bit too over the top for me. Climbing up mountains and shooting at a bunch of Pinkertons, then Micah comes out of know where, causing this brawl on the mountain to ensue with ultimately Dutch appearing to stop the fight and then they all go their separate ways, with Arthur dying. I not only find this whole segment over the top, but it also doesn't make sense to me. Not only when did Micah find the time to go up that mountain just to kill Arthur, but why? How and why is Dutch up there as well?

It's overall just all too much. I think it would have all been fine if the climax was that battle between the Natives and the Army. John gets shot during the battle, left to die (have Dutch lie about helping him as well), have Arthur realize Dutch tried to leave him to die as well and realize he probably did the same with John, and Micah was a catalyst in turning them against each other. Have the confrontation still happen back at Beaver Creek (because of Dutch turning against Arthur and John), but instead have them all get separated permanently once the Pinkertons ambush them. Arthur dies of TB in bed instead, perhaps with Grimshaw by his side if they escaped together. John survives the battle and leaves the gang when the gang left him, goes looking for his family. Bam, epilogue.

Everything becomes needlessly complicated with Micah being a rat. That's the issue of it all by the end of it. You're overly complicating everything. Micah doesn't have to be this scheming rat in this twist, he can just be an asshole trying to turn Dutch against Arthur because he wants more control of the gang. Arthur doesn't have to go out on this silly brawl on top of a mountain, he can die in bed (pay your homage to Tombstone here, Houser).

But yeah, I don't think I liked how chapter 6 ended.

Overall, the point I make is that they overly complicate its conclusion with too many climaxes that attempt to tie up all of the loose ends at once. And one major character's motivations not making a lick of sense by the end of it all.

And whoa bruv. QOTSA? You're blowing my mind with this information. Any specifics as to which tracks they did?

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I made a post about my issues with chapter 6 shortly after completing it, here it is:

That first sign of Dutch leaving Arthur to die should have been an immediate sign to Arthur. I was really hoping Arthur would come out of that and physically attack Dutch in that moment because it was all too obvious. I felt that should have been to climax to the chaos Dutch has ensued, but instead we get the whole train heist part afterwards that feels like it's trying to tie everything up all at once, between finding the moment John is left to die, when Milton is finally dealt with and how the gang ultimately falls apart. I feel this is the part where there are too many climaxes coming one after the other.

And it's because of these too many climaxes that the story starts to not make sense. First of all, the reveal that Micah is a rat. What exactly was the point of Micah becoming a rat? Especially after the train heist which would have left them all set for life. It all just brought the Pinkertons down on them for no reason. Was Micah just trying to maximize his gain at the cost of everyone else, by both robbing the train and helping the Pinkertons? Wouldn't doing one of these things negate the reason for doing the other? This Micah doesn't make sense.

And then there are the different endings. I did the high honor/help John one and that's when things got a bit too over the top for me. Climbing up mountains and shooting at a bunch of Pinkertons, then Micah comes out of know where, causing this brawl on the mountain to ensue with ultimately Dutch appearing to stop the fight and then they all go their separate ways, with Arthur dying. I not only find this whole segment over the top, but it also doesn't make sense to me. Not only when did Micah find the time to go up that mountain just to kill Arthur, but why? How and why is Dutch up there as well?

It's overall just all too much. I think it would have all been fine if the climax was that battle between the Natives and the Army. John gets shot during the battle, left to die (have Dutch lie about helping him as well), have Arthur realize Dutch tried to leave him to die as well and realize he probably did the same with John, and Micah was a catalyst in turning them against each other. Have the confrontation still happen back at Beaver Creek (because of Dutch turning against Arthur and John), but instead have them all get separated permanently once the Pinkertons ambush them. Arthur dies of TB in bed instead, perhaps with Grimshaw by his side if they escaped together. John survives the battle and leaves the gang when the gang left him, goes looking for his family. Bam, epilogue.

Everything becomes needlessly complicated with Micah being a rat. That's the issue of it all by the end of it. You're overly complicating everything. Micah doesn't have to be this scheming rat in this twist, he can just be an asshole trying to turn Dutch against Arthur because he wants more control of the gang. Arthur doesn't have to go out on this silly brawl on top of a mountain, he can die in bed (pay your homage to Tombstone here, Houser).

But yeah, I don't think I liked how chapter 6 ended.

Overall, the point I make is that they overly complicate its conclusion with too many climaxes that attempt to tie up all of the loose ends at once. And one major character's motivations not making a lick of sense by the end of it all.

And whoa bruv. QOTSA? You're blowing my mind with this information. Any specifics as to which tracks they did?
Oh shit, yeah you did! Think I saw it on the spoiler thread.

Yeah, I think Josh sang a couple of songs, Jon did some drumming, and Mikey played some bass. This one by Josh came up during the credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh1gCHfYeQw