• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
280k texts are not all related to corruption and should be handled with tact, this was not. We don't need all of that type of stuff not dealing with corruption.

Not saying I dont agree but Dems taking the high road has not been working well lately

At this point, I feel like anyone even remotely related to Trump is tainted goods

rude

Oct 25, 2017
"One time it was 6 black men in a hotel room"
"she asked why so many black men and he said because they were the one willing to do it"

SMDH. We have to do better smh smh smh

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does seem like none of it is relevant. After looking into it I feel really bad now :(

Oct 27, 2017
Doing the opposite of what you're doing doesn't mean it will work. Follow a moral compass. Regardless of how shit the right is
A better strategy is to look at history, make a determination and evaluate which behavior has a better return on effort. Based on our current shitty timeline, I'd say that is scorched earth on republicans.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Doing the opposite of what you're doing doesn't mean it will work. Follow a moral compass. Regardless of how shit the right is

Im pretty honorable about most things but if you told me I had to do or say some underhanded things to prevent the Trump presidency, then I wouldnt think twice about it... there's only so much moral high grounding you can do while assholes take advantage of you; especially if those assholes control the government which can affect the lives and well-being of millions of innocent people.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chairman of Trump's campaign.
Right and i don't feel bad about releasing the parts about how terrible he is or whatever.

However, a lot of the texts are predictably and uncomfortably personal and have nothing to do with him. I wish they had perhaps been more selective with what they released.

Edit: and obviously it is noteworthy that wikileaks didn't want to publish these.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
whether you agree with publishing the texts or not, it's worth at least reading Emma Best's reasoning for doing this

This cache of Manafort texts (links at the bottom) is made up of more than 285,000 SMS messages and iMessages (over 7,200 pages) sent and received by one of Paul Manafort's daughters. Several years ago, the phone was hacked and a database of the messages became available in certain circles. Some outlets have previously reported on some of these messages, such as ones implicating Paul Manafort in the commission of murders, but other messages have gone largely overlooked or have been available without the full context. This is largely due to one thing:

The public haven't had access to the messages, and the press haven't had access to an easily searchable version – instead only to an unwieldy database.

This was nearly not the case, however – WikiLeaks had a copy of the database, but ultimately didn't publish it, despite its newsworthiness and their willingness to publish unredacted information on the Democrats. Their unexplained decision not to put the database into a searchable format and make it public struck me as questionable at the time, but in light of the disclosure of their preference for the GOP it has become not only questionable, but hypocritical.

This noteworthy refusal, along with ongoing probes and charges filed against Manafort by the Special Counsel's office, makes the text messages and their contents undoubtedly newsworthy. Their relevance to the general public may go beyond this, as the personal reality reflected in the messages presents the Manaforts as real people, rather than merely as abstract figures. This same reality is, of course, also relevant to news and current events, and to understanding the character and actions of those involved.
The decision to not redact the text messages was made only after careful consideration and for several reasons, including but not limited to:

1. The data has already been exposed, and the damage done.
  2. Those involved know that the messages were hacked, and that their phone numbers and email addresses (in the case of some iMessages) have been exposed. They've had over a year to change their numbers and take steps to block harassment. Therefore, any harm in this regard is minimal.
  3. Tabloids and trolls have already mined the transcripts and exploited them. While this release may result in a small resurgence of this, the real damage has long been done and mitigated.
  4. The hack was confirmed and some of the messages verified by the Manaforts. While information in the texts may be challenged by various parties, the validity of the texts does not appear to be in doubt.
  5. While some personal details may seem lurid, they are ultimately meaningless. People have bodies which sometimes itch, people have sex and personal lives. The instances that are meaningless will be quickly forgotten (as they already have been by the trolls who were once determined enough to dig through nearly 300,000 messages), while significant pieces of data will be found and preserved. In some instances, the personal messages shine a light on things of more significance (see below).
  6. It's important for people to have as much information as possible, and it's not always clear ahead of time what will have significance. For instance, the existence of a personal family issue on a certain date may be correlated to movements and behavior of some of those involved, or a family trip to Trump Tower may be correlated to an significant date.
  7. The participants and subjects of these messages are not not random individual or low level political workers, but individuals, may of them rather wealthy and powerful, who have ties to (or are) someone accused of significant crimes, someone with close ties the White House and politicians around the world.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Can't make this shit up

The pressure on their family must be enourmous

Manafort better fold like a greased lawn chair on his trial date if he ever cared about them. Stringing this out only hurts them. I have no doubt this release will devastate his wife, even though I'm glad it's public

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i dont feel bad at all for paul manafort or his family they enabled all this shit and reaped the benefits for all his shady dealings and may have indirectly lead to the deaths of people in the ukraine and elsewhere. In their own words, they know they have acquired blood money. they deserve all of this.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
i dont feel bad at all for paul manafort or his family they enabled all this shit and reaped the benefits for all his shady dealings and may have indirectly lead to the deaths of people in the ukraine and elsewhere. In their own words, they know they have acquired blood money. they deserve all of this.

Yup, fuck the whole family tbh, just him the most.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not sure I really needed to know, yikes. thought this was going to be more things at least tangentially related to the russia stuff

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
One thing I'm confused about...is this Russia? If so, why?

Or is this information that Mueller would have had? If so...again, why?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When a guy you already thought was an awful human being still manages to surprise you.

whether you agree with publishing the texts or not, it's worth at least reading Emma Best's reasoning for doing this
Still not a fan at all of not redacting / editing these dumps to parse out meaningless personal stuff. Her rationale for it sounds mostly like excuses tbh. That damage has already been done doesn't mean that she's not making the active choice of propagating the personal parts that don't contribute to any meaningful content or context.

I can always understand the public interest angle and definitely see how edited leaks have a role to play, but I'm really not in favor of these large dumps. I've given enough shit to Wikileaks and their lack of moral backbone to also expect it from others.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Shits not adding up... I don't care about this info, but it does show how he doesn't care about his wife and her well being.

Cuck

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
People using cuck as an insult is weird as hell from a supposedly left leaning ground.

That said, this dude is clearly a terrible person for forcing his wife to do something she doesn't want to . Those texts paint a terrible picture of abuse, there's no other word for it but sexual and psychological abuse. Hopefully she can ditch him and find a healthier situation to live in.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Dude is not a cuck, at this point he's clearly a pimp.
Then again I guess he's both.