• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Official website

"Celebrate the upcoming FOX n FORESTS Spring 2018 release with us! Shoot, Slash, Switch and Snatch on Windows, Linux, Mac, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch."

This was a game I backed some time ago and am glad to see it releasing soon. The 2D visuals look nice, and it never hurts to have more Run n Jump games ;3

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Ich bin dabei.

Speaking of games from germany.... Where is rainbow skies?.?

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Yo this looks awesome, I'd play that.

Reminds me of Skyblazer and that's a good thing as that was one of my favorite SNES games.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Time for Era to be weird about furry characters again

--

Game looks incredibly polished. Curiously it reminds me of the Genesis-Era Disney games in visuals more than Demon's Crest. But I see the similarities in the latter too.

Will buy.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't sure if I ended up backing this on Kickstarter or not. Glad to see I did, looks great!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Omg this game came out of nowhere and looks like the king of platforming I've played back when I was a kid, this is gonna be great

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Why are foxes so popular among indie devs? In the past few years alone we have Never Alone, Epistory, Seasons After Fall, Stories, the upcoming Tunic, and this. And I think I'm forgetting something.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Not to be confused with Seasons After Fall, which is also a side-scroller where you play as a fox with the ability to magically change between seasons.

But this looks pretty good too.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks a bit derivative and starting the trailer with "Do you remember 16bit?" is a bit silly given that we see hundreds of 16bit inspired games every year. But could be tempted if it reviews well.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of Magical Quest on SNES.

And this guy.

dNhNeqR.jpg

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A fox using items? Blasphemy.
Jokes aside, this actually looks quite authentic to the 16bit era. A lot of retro pixel indie games look too modern for the lack of a better word.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Bought. Thank you for making this thread.

Time for Era to be weird about furry characters again

--

Game looks incredibly polished. Curiously it reminds me of the Genesis-Era Disney games in visuals more than Demon's Crest. But I see the similarities in the latter too.

Will buy.
It doesn't looks like the artist was touching him/herself while drawing this fox so it's OK.

Last edited:

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, what's wrong with any of the artwork? The sprites and animation are pretty solid, and the logo for the game is harmless. This just oozes with love for the SNES, definitely putting it on my watch list.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that looked great. I love games like these, will definitely be picking this up when it releases. Kinda reminds of the other Indies game starring a fox, Tunic- which also looks really good.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...p_on_fox_n_forests_with_developer_bonus_level

Some of the more game specific stuff in there.

So, why foxes?

Bipedal animal characters have a long history in gaming, such as Sonic, Yoshi, Fox McCloud, Jazz Jackrabbit, Conker and so on. We were actually close to making a wolf the main character of the game, but then went for a fox as many positive and fun characteristics came to our mind such as clever, crafty, cheeky and cunning. Expect Rick the Fox to rather be some cool anti-hero.

What's the balance of action and puzzle elements?

At its core FOX n FORESTS is an action platformer. On top of that it features RPG and puzzle elements to deepen the experience. The balance between these two aspects is probably two thirds action platforming and one third RPG and puzzle elements.

There are some RPG elements, too?

Yes! Every defeated enemy drops bronze, silver or gold coins and you can spend your hard earned money in Forest Plaza, our HUB area. We have an upgrade booth for extending your hearts or mana bar, an armory for sharpening your bayonet or learning new moves and a magic shop for buying different types of magic attack potions, but you will need to find an empty bottle first.

Bottles can be re-used and are well hidden within treasure chests. Next to gold we have other resources as well. And not to forget the magic seeds! Fife are hidden in every level and it will not be an easy task to find every single one of them. But no worries, to progress it will be enough to collect approximately three magic seeds per level.

How does the gameplay change between seasons?

In order to maintain a quick and fluid gameplay we decided during pre-production that players can switch between two pre-defined seasons per level. This A/B switch mechanic allows for many creative ideas. In our first level Revolving River you can switch between spring and winter: the river will freeze and Rick can now cross it. And of course, you can lure enemies onto the ice as well, switch back and make them drown that way. On the other hand, giant vines will lose their leaves in winter and cannot be used as platforms any more.

In another level, Windy Windmills, you will need to ascend a tall tower with useful but dangerous mechanics such as moving elevators, conveyor belts or spiky cogs. Switch from fall to summer and the wind will stop, resulting in a windmill standing still. In Foggy Fable, on the other hand, you can make fog disappear and in the shoot 'em up level Tricky Treetops - where naughty Rick will fly on poor Patty's back - a season switch results in rain coming up, distinguishing the fire that is eventually blocking the path. But watch out, once peaceful clouds will now transform into electrifying thunder enemies.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
We need more indie games with 16 bit graphics. I know retro style is popular, but a lot of them don't quite capture the look. Shovel Knight for example looks more like a Gameboy Color game than an NES or SNES game.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I got a backer email recently, seems they're aiming for a March release at the latest? Either way I am looking forward to playing it and hope it gets more exposure and following :3

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This looks so SNES I'm really diggin it! Looking forward to it!

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
It looks quite good.
Just a general remark, but Indies nail the 8bit look better than the 16bit look bar a few exceptions like Owlboy or Iconoclasts.