• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So 2K started adding their 2K Launcher to their games. And when you start game you just open launcher you need to start game from launcher to actually play the game.

r5bMr7u.png

This is really getting annoying and amount of data these companies want from you is getting ridiculous.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I don't have a problem with these companies wanting my data but i really don't like launcher within launcher bs thats not a game launcher.

The more a company uses these things the less incentive i feel like i have in buying these games. Thankfully there isn't a 2K game iam interested in outside of Borderlands that i really wanna get into.

Aug 30, 2020
I don't know why these companies aren't competent enough to make it seamless. Sure, load your crappy launcher into memory, but at least launch the game!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Steam really should put a limit on it. I don't mind requiring an acc, but 2 launchers is ridiculous.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I don't know why these companies aren't competent enough to make it seamless. Sure, load your crappy launcher into memory, but at least launch the game!

My thoughts exactly - just launch the damn game and forget the separate launcher! Even EA (Respawn) figured this out with Apex and C&C. I sort of understand having a separate launcher for MMOs and FS2020 but everything else should be launcher-free IMO.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
They want it to be inconvenient so you eventually decide to skip Steam and just use their launcher for their games, including buying the games.

Except it probably doesn't work and just makes people frustrated so they are less likely to buy/play the company's games in the first place.

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
I hate this shit, I'd rather they charge me more money for a launcher-free version of their games to offset their data collecting crap.

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
valve should do something about this launcher situation, maybe force the origin implementation like apex legends and new EA games

This lanunchers even brokes some steam feature, like home streaming and big picture

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Wait until it gets stuck trying to update the game and won't let you actually launch the game until it finishes.

Also, enjoy seeing an update for Mafia III pending in your Steam download queue every time 2K decides to update the launcher.

Hate this.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This has been happening for a bit (hot minute or whatever the young 'uns say these days) and it's caused heck with Proton a few times. As though we needed more BS to have to account for playing games on Linux.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm at launcher saturation on PC at this point. I'm not downloading anymore launchers or signing up for anymore accounts even if it means not playing a publishers games.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I know XCOM 2 had their launcher changed and it fucked up a bunch of mods.

I think Xcom 2 had it from launch, and it was a reasonable way to choose mods to have activated etc, similar to Paradox games.
Generally speaking I am not keen on launchers when they force you to go through them, rather than having an interface for this in game. This is worse even when you purchase via another vendor anyway, and they effectively force a redundant store in front of you that is never going to see use.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
This is my biggest complaint. XCOM used to load seamlessly and perfectly for me before. Now, I always have issues loading it. It works but not as well as before.

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
But it's not functional. When it was added to Civ VI, many players were unable to play the game because the crappy launcher kept crashing...

Some times ago i made a list, i just added 2k launcher now:

-Steam
-Battle.net
-Origin
-Uplay
-EGS
-Twitch Launcher (Now Amazon launcher)
-Rockstar Launcher
-Paradox Launcher
-GOG
-Ms Store
-Bethesda Launcher
-Arc Launcher (Perfect Word)
-2k Launcher

Deceased Launcher
-Desura
-Impulse (Stardock)
-Direct 2 Drive (IGN)
-Games for Windows Live

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
This kind of shit is one of the reasons PC gaming on a TV has gotten worse, not better since Steam's Big Picture debut years ago.

Getting into a game with these launchers inevitably takes longer on a PC with an SSD vs. doing it from my PS5 on an external 2.5" HDD (let alone Xbox's game resume). The process of launching the game, wait for the launcher to load, then wait while it syncs its cloud saves with the publisher's own system vs. just using Steam's/Origin's own cloud sync, having a launcher that doesn't support gamepad (which means I often launch a game, grab my gamepad, see the launcher come up, say "Ah shit", pick up my wireless keyboard to launch it, pick back up my gamepad) - it's just such a clusterfuck of bad UX.

Origin at least has their 'mini launcher' that doesn't get in your face if you buy it from Steam, but it still has that delay where it loads and syncs your saves with EA's servers at game launch vs. doing it in the background like Steam, plus it's barely any smaller in terms of footprint than the full Origin launcher - it just locks out the store.

If you're using an external launcher to manager all this crap like GoG Galaxy, then buying one of these games like EA's on Epic is actually worse than just buying it directly from Origin, as if you launch the game from Galaxy it identifies it as an Origin game (which, it is) - but it's an "Origin Game Bought on Epic", so it launches Origin, which then launches Epic, when then launches your game - from Origin. I'm literally in the game already from a console by the time my multiple launchers have figured out to launch the thing. Just ridiculous.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

-Steam
-Battle.net
-Origin
-Uplay
-EGS
-Rockstar Launcher
-Paradox Launcher
-GOG
-Ms Store
-Bethesda Launcher
-2k Launcher

It's especially fun when you use 2FA (which you should) and setting up a new system. Love entering my ID & password, then using my phone to actually log in 10+ times so I have access to my games.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Cardinal sin, you don't add launchers, ad-ware or DRM to a product already sold.

Want to do it with new products, fine.

BUT don't change a done deal after the fact.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like yet another publisher planning a Steam exit. TBH, after Red Dead Redemption 2 PC and Borderlands 3, I wouldn't be surprised if 2K & Rockstar concluded that they didn't need Steam (or EGS) for their PC releases. That said, as Bethesda found out with Rage 2 (and Activision probably found out with Crash 4), they're basically tying an arm behind the backs of their PC versions.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
What's the point if it doesn't even launch the game? 🤔

Let me guess, this will be abandoned in 3 years just like any other launcher and leave the games unplayable.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Its annoying AF but I can accept this as long as it means games are still sold and run through steam. My biggest issue with other stores isnt having an extra app its not having my library in one place.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

-Steam
-Battle.net
-Origin
-Uplay
-EGS
-Rockstar Launcher
-Paradox Launcher
-GOG
-Ms Store
-Bethesda Launcher
-2k Launcher

Deceased Launcher
-Desura
-Impulse (Stardock)
-Direct 2 Drive (IGN)
-Games for Windows Live
but the most important category is missing
Monopoly
-Steam

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

-Steam
-Battle.net
-Origin
-Uplay
-EGS
-Rockstar Launcher
-Paradox Launcher
-GOG
-Ms Store
-Bethesda Launcher
-2k Launcher

Deceased Launcher
-Desura
-Impulse (Stardock)
-Direct 2 Drive (IGN)
-Games for Windows Live
I have the same list only i also have the Gamepass app + EA Desktop because for some stupid reason if you want to play EA games via gamepass it has to be through EA desktop and not origin.

At this point i am numb to new launchers and it doesn't bother me anymore.