• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights:
  • This year at E3, Take-Two's 2K division (so excluding Rockstar and Private Division) had a booth with zero games in it. (This happened because Borderlands 3 got delayed at the last minute and they knew no one would come see NBA or WWE). 2K does not intend to repeat this event.
  • 2K intends to fix this by growing significantly. First they detailed three pillars of their strategy, and then gave a bunch of specifics.
  • Pillar 1: More Games - They're going to make a lot more games, both internally and with existing their long term partners.
  • Pillar 2: More Resources - They're going to notably increase the size of their internal studios and start working with new external partners.
  • Pillar 3: Games as a Service - They want all their games to be long term experiences that have events and grow and change over time.
  • Afterwards, 2K detailed some specifics about all of the above.
  • Firaxis is making a New IP. They will also keep making Civilization and XCOM games.
  • WWE is going to get significantly more investment. If you're wondering why, NBA2K went from a 2-3 million franchise to a 9+ million copy franchise after they started heavily investing in quality year after year.
  • 2K is aware that there aren't a lot of large scale independent studios that are still alive, so they are also looking to partner with mid-sized independent studios who have had success, but now want to expand into making AAA titles.
  • 2K is also looking to expand heavily in both mobile and China.
  • 2K is interested in both expanding into genres they're not currently working in, and in offering more games in genres they're already working in. They're open to almost any idea as long as they think it's a good idea with a good team behind it.
  • 2K feels it's important to do this as it's hard to meaningfully grow their business with just the games they have.
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-23-2ks-light-slate-belies-bigger-ambitions

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
I'll never be able to distinguish Take-Two and 2k. Even worse that one of them is subsidiary to the other

Nov 3, 2017
WWE is going to get significantly more investment. If you're wondering why, NBA2K went from a 2-3 million franchise to a 9+ million copy franchise after they started heavily investing in quality year after year.

So more microtransaction stuff?

I'd love to believe it was getting a real worthwhile overhaul but people have been telling me pigs fly for years and I've never seen one

GaaS done well is great and should be something series should strive for, but I just can't imagine 2K doing it well

More games is always good though

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they going to drop Yukes or just invest more in that studio for the WWE games

NegroNinja

Oct 27, 2017
So those this mean that they will finally fix NBA2k? Or will it be the same old micro transaction grindfest bullshit?

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I want to believe that the WWE games will change but they need to get rid of Yukes first if they want that. Is this also acknowledgment of those games being cheap and low budget?

I'm curious too if this is a response to WWE supposedly being unhappy with the 2K18 Switch handling.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'll never be able to distinguish Take-Two and 2k. Even worse that one of them is subsidiary to the other
forget about take-two since that's basically just the business part. 2k Games is the publisher brand who's putting out games. 2k Games(or 2k Sports when relevant) and Rockstar. That's all you need to remember^^

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they'll create a new studio for WWE. I have very little faith that they can ever improve the quality of Yukes' output.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
WWE investment works for me. I used to love wresting games and then I went and tried 2k17 on gamepass and holy fuck was it bad.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds pretty great. Glad they recognized how minimal their output has gotten lately and are making moves to fix that. Their catalogue of IP is actually pretty strong and they've proven they can really deliver in the past.

Also sounds like they're going to be taking some more risks rather than sticking with what's already working. Really looking forward to the new Firaxis IP and the presumed new IP at Hangar 13.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many of those things are pretty needed. For Take Two to have more success they really need to have more releases both with 2K and Rockstar along other methods as well because those two publishers have very few releases per year.

So those this mean that they will finally fix NBA2k? Or will it be the same old micro transaction grindfest bullshit?

No, there's no relation

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do fucking ANYTHING to improve these WWE games. I think the last ones I fully enjoyed were back on the PS2.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I sincerely would love to purchase a WWE game but year after year they disappoint. I rent them every year to try it and it's always a convoluted mess. Just give me a fun wrestling game that's simple to play with kick ass presentation and story mode. Stop all this "sim" bullshit.

Deleted member 1777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a WWE game in years but if they gave Yukes enough time and actual money do you think they could make a far better game ? Or they just inherently bad at making WWE games ? How I wish Aki still made them :( (I know they're under a different name making games like Style Savvy)

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see how this pans out. 2K has always struck me as a middle-of-the-road publisher who haven't really figured themselves out (aside from their sports franchises)

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
WWE is going to get significantly more investment. If you're wondering why, NBA2K went from a 2-3 million franchise to a 9+ million copy franchise after they started heavily investing in quality year after year.

plzdropyukesplzdropyukesplzdropyukesplzdropyukesplzdropyukesplzdropyukesplzdropyukesplzdropyukes

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as this means they partnering with yaeger again for spec ops 2 iam happy.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope that the WWE investment pans out, I want that series to finally get better after years of stagnation.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody wants that Ubisoft money but if you aim at the king...
*Stauss Zelnick walks in room*

Zelnick: He's got a big issue. I don't have that problem. We are a global business, but we're not that big. We have 4,200 people. We have 17 studio locations. It's not that far-flung. We're still able to get our arms around it.

GamesBeat: I recall from Ubi that they have 14,000 people now.

Zelnick: They have 14,000 people, and their revenue is less than ours. We don't understand it.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ventur...ck-im-charged-with-making-hard-decisions/amp/

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be awesome if they really made some noticeable positive changes to the WWE franchise.

I'll believe it when I see it though.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
  • WWE is going to get significantly more investment. If you're wondering why, NBA2K went from a 2-3 million franchise to a 9+ million copy franchise after they started heavily investing in quality year after year.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Put a good team on it like the NBA 2K one instead of Yuke's doing the same thing since years and marketing it as a revolution.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, are they taking Yuke's off WWE?

Im not sure any amount of money will actually make those games "good" as long as Yuke's is making them.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
They should start doing genre swap crossovers:

XCOM + Evolve
GTA + Civ
Borderlands + Evolve
Borderlands + XCOM
Battleborn + XCOM
Bioshock + GTA
Red Dead + Tropico

Like that would be such a great way to expand game universes if done properly.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, take it away from Yuke's and we'll see.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Finally getting aki on board.
Would be amazing.

Also, bringing back No Mercy would be sweet.

It's about fucking time they do something though. I mentioned No Mercy, but they need to work with WWE and make an old school title(like Wrestlefest), which still plays well today.

Expand the fucking brand. Make a beat em up game, like THQ did with WWF Betrayal.
Imagine a game with Final Fight graphics, featuring Braun Strowman, Taker, Cena, Orton, Nicholas. Would be fucking awesome. If it wasn't a cheap cash in, I would bet it would sell pretty well and help expand the brand.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I'm not going to lie. I've grown attached to how awful the wwe 2k games have been. They're easily some of the funniest games to play. That being said, having a wrestling game thats good an not named fire wrestling pro would be cool too.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
The lighting looks like a nice upgrade from last years Nba2k compared to this year.

But are these big changes happening to the wwe games this year? I'm a huge wrestling fan but those games haven't been good since '14.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have heard an overhaul on WWE games sice at least smackdown 2009, and I'm still waiting for it

Cyclopsfire21

Oct 25, 2017
How do they feel about their relationship with Sony? They seem keen on marketing side would like to see it follow the dev/pub side.

Also Agent on PS5.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Would be amazing.

Also, bringing back No Mercy would be sweet.

It's about fucking time they do something though. I mentioned No Mercy, but they need to work with WWE and make an old school title(like Wrestlefest), which still plays well today.

Expand the fucking brand. Make a beat em up game, like THQ did with WWF Betrayal.
Imagine a game with Final Fight graphics, featuring Braun Strowman, Taker, Cena, Orton, Nicholas. Would be fucking awesome. If it wasn't a cheap cash in, I would bet it would sell pretty well and help expand the brand.

Hire this man!

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The lighting looks like a nice upgrade from last years Nba2k compared to this year.

But are these big changes happening to the wwe games this year? I'm a huge wrestling fan but those games haven't been good since '14.
It's presumably going to be a long and slow process.