• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
bill-ted-excellent-adventure-today-180330-tease_70af55b133dcbe6618c56c70a0685cd6.jpg

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure was released on this day in 1989.

It made $40 million off a $10 million budget, and went on to become a classic. It inspired a sequel that wasn't quite as classic as the original, and the third movie Bill & Ted Face The Music is in production!

SAN DIMAS HIGHSCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
One of the most surprising things to me when I first drove through Southern California was discovering that San Dimas is a real place. When I saw the exit sign for it I about drove off the freeway in excitement.

Now I live a few miles away from San Dimas high school. It's football team, sadly, no longer rules.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I saw Bogus Journey in theaters when I was a kid, but I don't think I have ever seen all of Excellent Adventure. I've just seen bits and pieces of it.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most surprising things to me when I first drove through Southern California was discovering that San Dimas is a real place. When I saw the exit sign for it I about drove off the freeway in excitement.

Now I live a few miles away from San Dimas high school. It's football team, sadly, no longer rules.
It sounds like you liked it so much, you never left

Oct 25, 2017

The "San Dimas Mall" always cracks me up. Even though San Dimas is real, there's no mall, nor has there ever been.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite movie and movie series ever. For a long time, while working a corporate job, my signature in my email said "Be excellent to each other" - Abraham Lincoln.

Eventually some rat-faced jerk ratted me out to corporate and they made me change my signature, but I probably got away with it for about a year.

Oct 28, 2017
It still hurts to see Bill and Ted be homophobic but Alex and Keanu have both publicly regretted those lines. Like any movie it's a product of it's time and we werent as sensitive to the LGBT community back then.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

The "San Dimas Mall" always cracks me up. Even though San Dimas is real, there's no mall, nor has there ever been.

The movie was actually filmed in Arizona, only some shots from Raging Waters in San Dimas were used. Most of the locations look different (the school where the final report was given was demolished), but the Circle K is still there in Tempe and looks just like it did in 1989.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, one of my favorites for sure. I remember being very excited when this came out on VHS. Christ I'm old.

One of my favorite movie and movie series ever. For a long time, while working a corporate job, my signature in my email said "Be excellent to each other" - Abraham Lincoln.

Eventually some rat-faced jerk ratted me out to corporate and they made me change my signature, but I probably got away with it for about a year.

Wow, imagine being so self-important that you find it necessary to point out that the quote you used is from a movie. That person needs to get out more.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The movie was actually filmed in Arizona, only some shots from Raging Waters in San Dimas were used. Most of the locations look different (the school where the final report was given was demolished), but the Circle K is still there in Tempe and looks just like it did in 1989.

I knew the Circle K stuff was filmed in Arizona, but I figured all of the San Dimas & time travel stuff was filmed in the Valley (raging waters being the exception). Didn't know they did all of it in Arizona.

It sounds like you liked it so much, you never left

Just a coincidence 🙂

A company I got hired on with had their office in Glendora, and I moved out here for that.

Last edited:

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
giphy.gif

Reminds me of how they had an Alaskan Military School as a plot point in both movies yet at the time there was no such thing in existence. That always cracked me up a lot.
Next you will be telling me time travel didn't exist..

Weird timing on this anniversary, I nearly watched it earlier due to this:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/one-of-film's-greatest-epics-is-a-7-hour-adaptation-of-war-and-peace-really-vox.100031/post-17978096.

Thanks thread, no early night for me, spinning this now

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could get a cut without the gay slur

80s were so fucked up on that front

Classic comedy still though but god do I wince.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not only that, but Encino and Reseda are really close! My childhood films come to life! I even lived in Reseda and had a board game group in Encino.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's from the second one, but the steve vai intro version of this is so good.

Both bill and ted movies are some of my favorites of all time.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this film ever since I was a kid. The entirety of the mall-sequence is a comedy classic, plus the clever use of off-screen time-travel at the police station is inspired.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
30 years since we all learned how to deal with the oddity of time travel with the greatest of ease. I love these movies and they spawned an unhealthy obsession for Keanu Reeves for me. Definitely time for yet another re-watch of these two classics.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Top childhood memory right there. Love the first one, still like the second well enough. I mean, how do you come up with things like Aerobic Jeanne D'Arc, water park roudy Napoleon, scourge of the sport utilities Genghis Khan ... it's just great. Or Socrates and Billy the Kid hitting on women in the mall.

Really hope they make that third movie they've always wanted to make ... sad thing is that George Carlin won't be back as Rufus.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Low key best time travel movie.
I know everyone loves Back to the Future by i love how Bill & Ted play around with time travel when it comes to police station and the keys

I watched this movie at a drive-in that stayed open most of the year. It's been closed for close to 27 years now. Crazy how time flies

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I really loved this film. Enjoyed the off screen time travel too. Great concept. Using him to him to fix the antenna. Lol.

I loved part 2 as well. The robots, Bill and Ted ghosts, heaven and hell, the future boots. The grim reaper being a sore loser. What's not to love

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Still love it, can't wait for the new one.

Freaked was great too, Alex Winter was the main character and Keanu played the wolfman.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Dudes, it's on Netflix. Excellent!

Watching now *Big Pig intensifies*

(edit) - Finished! Just listening to the closing credits. Two (two) heads (heads) are better than one.....

Better than I remembered. Only 90 minutes, but they get through at a decent pace. My only gripes are the one fag joke and the weird incel-lite delivery of the babes by Rufus.

Last edited:

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It still hurts to see Bill and Ted be homophobic but Alex and Keanu have both publicly regretted those lines. Like any movie it's a product of it's time and we werent as sensitive to the LGBT community back then.
It's a snapshot of time for sure. It's always jarring to watch fast times at ridgemont high and suddenly spicoli says " no way those guys are fa*s" .... but we did say it all the time. Dropping/forgetting "that's gay " from my vocab took longer than I wanted

Oct 27, 2017
Rotherham, England
I ended my best man speech at my friends' wedding with the line "In the immortal words of Abraham Lincoln, 'Be excellent to each other'".

He ended up cheating on her and now they're divorced though, so clearly he didn't take old Abe's advice.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
IMHO, the Bill and Ted movies are the last on-screen instances of Keanu Reeves being happy.