• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I know they hate Oswalt and Gunn for their politics. But I also know they don't see Disney as their "friends" that they are totally cool with. The internet hate mob would love to get Kathleen Kennedy fired.
They see Disney top management as potential allies who can be pressured to fire their employees for perceived transgressions if the alt-right mob spreads stuff around enough. I think that's enough for them. They're not very deep.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Reposting from the other thread.

Michael Rooker is now apparently deleting his twitter after posting his support of Gunn. I imagine he's getting a mountain of shit from the usual suspects.

Quoting for when it eventually gets deleted:

This account will be inactive after today. We're very tired & upset over the ongoing BULLSHIT... neither I nor my rep will use Twitter again. Twitter sucks and I want nothing to do with it. Thank you to all who gave kind words & support. See you on Instagram. - MR

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want Vin Diesl to tweet "we are Groot."
It's supportive AND ambiguous.

Ninja

Oct 28, 2017
Who do I have to fight to have my man Gunn back??
Knee jerk reactionaries.

Just kidding, it's too late to get your gunn back. The current climate in society doesn't let people forgive or forget, no matter how long ago the "crime" happened, no matter how much the person has changed. But who knows? This might end up being a healing first step. What happens when everyone's heroes end up getting their pasts unearthed? Every creator of our favorite content, what happens when they're all exposed and we find out that none of them are perfect? Maybe then everyone will calm down. It's too bad that so many people are going to get their lives destroyed before we reach that point.

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver
Twitter seems to be 99% worthless.
It's just idiots yelling at each other.
Nazis shouldn't have a platform like this.
Seems like it would be an easy decision for a company to make.
Like, what's the threshold they're using before they ban someone? The person has to be convicted in court and sentenced to prison for murder, then they lose Twitter access, never before?
There's articles posted that document and detail systematic abuse and targeting of people through Twitter. How is this not a reflection of Twitter as a platform at this point?

And why is the automatic assumption that everyone on Twitter is using it as a reflection of their deepest, truest self despite any evidence to the contrary?
There's people on there using tweets from comedians calling them pedophiles for literally nothing.
Do they get some kind of endorphin rush from this?
How pathetic is your life when you dig up a joke from Patton about out of context tweets and then retweet it out of context as "proof" he's a pedophile...

Geez Louise.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
How is this not a reflection of Twitter as a platform at this point?

And why is the automatic assumption that everyone on Twitter is using it as a reflection of their deepest, truest self despite any evidence to the contrary?
Ever since young Tunisian and Egyptian people used Twitter and Facebook to organize their revolutions, people in media as well as these platforms themselves as companies started looking at social media as this incredible thing as if it's inherently blessed, of course thanks to the genius of silicon valley, with magical goodness and remarkable purity.

Honestly, a great deal of why moderation on these platforms is trash goes back to that, I'm sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver
Ever since young Tunisian and Egyptian people used Twitter and Facebook to organize their revolutions, people in media as well as these platforms themselves as companies started looking at social media as this incredible thing as if it's inherently blessed, of course thanks to the genius of silicon valley, with magical goodness and remarkable purity.

Honestly, a great deal of why moderation on these platforms is trash goes back to that, I'm sure.

That's really interesting and not something I had thought about, thanks for the reply.

The idea that the mediums themselves are blameless as they just serve as a platform to connect people.
I don't know if they can continue to keep going like that indefinitely.

If I have a bulletin board on the front of my building that I put up for community announcements, aren't I responsible at some point if all of the announcements put up are about calling celebrities pedophiles and saying the holocaust didn't happen?
Even if that responsibility is to my own sense of taste of what qualifies as a worthwhile announcement.
I think it would take a pretty unique individual to see the board they made used like this and think to themselves "who am I to take these notices down?"

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
If I have a bulletin board on the front of my building that I put up for community announcements, aren't I responsible at some point if all of the announcements put up are about calling celebrities pedophiles and saying the holocaust didn't happen?
Even if that responsibility is to my own sense of taste of what qualifies as a worthwhile announcement.
I think it would take a pretty unique individual to see the board they made used like this and think to themselves "who am I to take these notices down?"
Now imagine if there are people paying to advertise on your building, and the rate they pay you is tied to the number of people putting up notices on the board. Now imagine if you don't actually care what is on your board, only the money you can make off it. Someone comes along to ask you what's with all these bad posts and why aren't you banning those people from using your board. Isn't the simple answer to say "fuck off, it's my board and my money!"

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Twitter seems to be 99% worthless.
It's just idiots yelling at each other.
Nazis shouldn't have a platform like this.
Seems like it would be an easy decision for a company to make.
Like, what's the threshold they're using before they ban someone? The person has to be convicted in court and sentenced to prison for murder, then they lose Twitter access, never before?
There's articles posted that document and detail systematic abuse and targeting of people through Twitter. How is this not a reflection of Twitter as a platform at this point?

There's people on there using tweets from comedians calling them pedophiles for literally nothing.
Do they get some kind of endorphin rush from this?
How pathetic is your life when you dig up a joke from Patton about out of context tweets and then retweet it out of context as "proof" he's a pedophile...

Geez Louise.

It's an endorphin rush. Twitter shitheels like to think of themselves as detectives and moral crusaders instead of the wastrel failsons they actually are.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
All the support from the cast should at least quash the "people were uncomfortable working with him" line.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Legitimately tearing up over the cast's tweets. Not everyone can be as blunt as Bautista and that's okay.

It should also be noted that Don Cheadle has also liked a couple tweets in support of Gunn.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
All the support from the cast should at least quash the "people were uncomfortable working with him" line.

Everything I've heard and read is that the cast and crew adore working with Gunn. He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

What breaks my heart more than anything is the clear love that Gunn has for this series. I love following him on Instagram. He always posts random behind the scenes photos, old script pages, drawings, etc.

When he said this series changed who he is as a person, I believe him.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Disney does something by the end of this week just to try to calm things down.