• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen with metoo how "easy" it to blacklist actors and keep them from getting work. And we are talking about the career of A-list actors here. There's a lot of money on the line for the main cast. It's their profession and they want to stay on top of the game - at least that's what I suspect. Disney has a lot more power than any of those actors. Maybe even together - which would require all of them to speak up in the first place.

We'll see how it goes, but this is a situation that will set a precedent going forward. If it's still about reacting as fast and harsh as possible or if it's going to be more nuanced.
This isn't the same as metoo. Those guys were blacklisted for raping and/or assaulting people.

These actors aren't going to be blacklisted or fired from their on-going franchises (Jurassic World, Avatar/Star Trek, etc.) because they together stood up for the writer/director of their last two films being the victim of a smear campaign.

Even if there -was- a blacklist implemented by Disney for their films, they still aren't the whole industry. Plenty of people would be happy to work with these actors in a way they wouldn't with sexual assailants.

And no matter what Disney isn't going to fuck with Avatar.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I signed the petition. I wasn't going to at first, but when I found out it was a right-wing smear job, the choice was clear.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see which outlets try to paint Gunn as a closeted pedo, especially with most of the starring cast having put out statements of support.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yea I read that they were the ones who leaked the info. What was the misinformation though? Also, is there any reason why they dislike Gunn?
No "info" was "leaked". Gunn made some off-colour, shitty jokes on his twitter account in the past. Years ago he apologised for these and worked to better himself.

He is vocal against Trump and his policies. Nazis didn't like this so they dragged old tweets to the spotlight and misrepresented bad jokes to get him fired.

Nov 18, 2017
Disappointed by Pratt and Saldana's response tbh.

Basically "We support James, but don't want to risk hurting our careers."

Thoughts and prayers.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This isn't the same as metoo. Those guys were blacklisted for raping and/or assaulting people.

These actors aren't going to be blacklisted or fired from their on-going franchises (Jurassic World, Avatar/Star Trek, etc.) because they together stood up for the writer/director of their last two films being the victim of a smear campaign.

Even if there -was- a blacklist implemented by Disney for their films, they still aren't the whole industry. Plenty of people would be happy to work with these actors in a way they wouldn't with sexual assailants.

And no matter what Disney isn't going to fuck with Avatar.

I meant it the other way - producers could easily blacklist someone out of spite for getting rejected. And not only for their own studio, but in the whole industry. And Disney as a company has a far longer reach than someone like Weinstein.

Not saying that will happen, but it will not be a simple thing for those actors to stand up and do the right thing. Their careers are on the line if they do that.

Ah, it all depends on how MSM frames the firing though, especially with the headlines.

Yep, it will be interesting to see how this will continue and how it will be reported. It can be framed either way.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys are discounting whether James Gunn wants to work with Disney again. After being a loyal servant to them for almost a decade, they quickly threw him out to the wolves when the attack came, without even a slightest bit of due diligence. It is unethical treating a valuable employee that way. One only does that if they toss out a garbage.

I see this news has gone global now and with it worldwide humiliations for all involved. Heads will roll one way or another.

Also anybody who works with Disney now better have squeaky clean history or their flaws will be magnified and attacked from all sides. Good job, Disney.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Signed. This entire situation is a shitshow and a super embarassing one at that. Good lesson for the entire industry though.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You guys are discounting whether James Gunn wants to work with Disney again. After being a loyal servant to them for almost a decade, they quickly threw him out to the wolves when the attack came, without even a slightest bit of due diligence. It is unethical treating a valuable employee that way. One only does that if they toss out a garbage.

I see this news has gone global now and with it worldwide humiliations for all involved. Heads will roll one way or another.

Also anybody who works with Disney now better have squeaky clean history or their flaws will be magnified and attacked from all sides. Good job, Disney.

I think he would do it out of care for the people that are showing support for him now. Not us - but his team of actors and friends on the job. He also might still want to finish his trilogy and walk after he's done with the characters he brought to film. Right now it's all a mess, but if Disney really comes around on this (and while I still want to believe, I don't think they will) it won't be an easy decision for him either way.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He doesn't seem like the guy who holds grudges (seems pretty mature all in all considering how he's dealt with this).

+ I'm pretty sure Feige and everyone actually involved with the productions of these movies, are on his side.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say WB should use this opening and court him to do a Green Lantern reboot. He's one of the few guys that can make it work.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I wrote a fictional Disney statement in the other thread defending Gunn in the alternate universe where they didn't fire him. Could there be any statement from them now, reinstating him? It's a lot harder...

Since our statement on Disney's relationship with writer/director James Gunn, following the resurfacing of abhorrent material Mr. Gunn put out via social media, the dialogue on this matter has continued.

We have seen an outpouring of support for Mr. Gunn, not just by fans, but by people who know him best: friends, family, members of his cast. Many members of our beloved Disney family have personally vouched for him.

All acknowledge that the offending material is crude and vile. It runs counter to our values as a company. This is not in dispute.

However, we have heard the plea that this material also runs counter to the values of Mr. Gunn. That this material doesn't define him as a person — certainly not the person he is now. That he has sincerely apologized for this material several times in the past, and has proven the sincerety of this apology by showing growth and maturity since then.

Because of this, Disney has decided to review the matter more extensively and enter into a dialogue with Mr. Gunn with the intention of giving him a second chance. No decision is final as of yet.

Disney will not comment any further on this matter as of yet.

Highly unlikely, but I think it would be something along those lines. They certainly would never bring the alt right into it.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I say WB should use this opening and court him to do a Green Lantern reboot. He's one of the few guys that can make it work.
dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
He doesn't seem like the guy who holds grudges (seems pretty mature all in all considering how he's dealt with this).

+ I'm pretty sure Feige and everyone actually involved with the productions of these movies, are on his side.

I'm thinking that too - but isn't a decision like firing a high profile director run by Feige in the first place?

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
The next GOTG film starts with Star Lord getting fired from his position by an organised internet hate campaign

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious - how do people feel about recasting these giant and long ass roles nowadays?
I don't think I could deal with a different Drax or Starlord. Recasting happened a lot growing up but I think it's slowed down quite a bit nowadays. I feel like a lot of these actors are too much like their characters(or the other way around) and it's become extremely hard to separate them.
It happened earlier with War Machine but the character only had a few minutes of screen time before the recast. RDJ is Iron Man though and has been for a decade. You can't recast that I don't think. I'd rather a character get killed off instead.

I'm just curious how many people feel the same way. If they do then maybe what these actors think does mean something.

Except for Groot. I'm cool with recasting Groot. Just have one of the other cast remembers do it.

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I wrote a fictional Disney statement in the other thread defending Gunn in the alternate universe where they didn't fire him. Could there be any statement from them now, reinstating him? It's a lot harder...

Highly unlikely, but I think it would be something along those lines. They certainly would never bring the alt right into it.

Yeah, I think there was a pretty easy way to ride this out if they didn't immediately capitulate. Announce that he's suspended pending review, take a month to both let things cool and go actually go interview cast and crew from the two movies to see if he ever did make comments on set like the tweets that would've set up an unwelcoming work environment, and if he did, you really have to fire him, but if you didn't, now you've collected a bunch of quotes defending him and can release a statement using those and saying no evidence was found that he had behaved inappropriately during his Disney tenure, that he says he has changed and others back that up. Here is his personal apology and commitment to donate big chunk of money to anti-abuse organizations working to fight the issues he so trivialized. And then behind the scenes, he essentially agrees to keep his head down, no social media presence, no public appearances, for a year or two until it's time to ramp up promotion for Guardians 3.

But now they'd have to publicly admit that they fucked up while also doing all those same things to defend all that shit, now not just against the people digging it up, but against their own former condemnations. I don't think any amount of signatures is going to make that worthwhile to them.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious - how do people feel about recasting these giant and long ass roles nowadays?
I don't think I could deal with a different Drax or Starlord. Recasting happened a lot growing up but I think it's slowed down quite a bit nowadays. I feel like a lot of these actors are too much like their characters(or the other way around) and it's become extremely hard to separate them.
It happened earlier with War Machine but the character only had a few minutes of screen time before the recast. RDJ is Iron Man though and has been for a decade. You can't recast that I don't think. I'd rather a character get killed off instead.

I'm just curious how many people feel the same way. If they do then maybe what these actors think does mean something.

I think about it from time to time and my answer is that I have no idea until it happens.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
All these alt right people really want some pedophilia happening. One could say that the idea of taking pride in non pedophiles losing their careers over the lie (and therefore imagining of the idea) that they are responsible for sexual abuse to minors is far worse than some gross, poorly thought out jokes. The obsession is disturbing as fuck.

I like Batista's redemption tag there.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All these alt right people really want some pedophilia happening. One could say that the idea of taking pride in non pedophiles losing their careers over the lie (and therefore imagining of the idea) that they are responsible for sexual abuse to minors is far worse than some gross, poorly thought out jokes. The obsession is disturbing as fuck.

I like Batista's redemption tag there.
They know pedophilia is one of the only things that gets an immediate response, so they'll do everything they can to make ppl think "he/she is a pedophile," regardless the required distortion of truth

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been brought up already, but you gotta think Sarah Silverman is in their crosshairs next right? Because Wreck-It Ralph 2's upcoming release, that is.

She has jokes on just about every subject imaginable.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think depending on how Gunn handles this scenario, he may be out on GOTG3 but not out entirely on Disney's end

This has probably been brought up already, but you gotta think Sarah Silverman is in their crosshairs next right? Because Wreck-It Ralph 2's upcoming release, that is.

She has jokes on just about every subject imaginable.

They're definitely not going to replace her since the movie is imminent, if anything they could either quietly recast her or just not do another Ralph