• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they don't use the script/do a page one rewrite, there is no way the movie hits its original date.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost at 235,000. Even if nothing changes it's good to know that there's plenty of people out there who aren't complete idiots or easily fooled by such grade school tactics.

In a somewhat unrelated note - the "show ignored comments" thing has popped up at every page. Considering the people I block, I'm probably missing some doozies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't filming until January.
Oh, nevermind then. It's possible. For some reason I thought they had a fall start.

I still think it's very possible they use Gunn's script though. They didn't throw out Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish's on Ant-Man, even with others doing some rewrites on it.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel like we could get into a situation where a deeply apologetic Gunn could get back into the seat with an extensive recovery letter written by about a dozen Disney Marketing people. There's quite a lot of big names out there in support of him now, hardly any in outspoken opposition and the public's opinion seems to be on his side, too - Hundreds of Thousands of signees show that. The more big names give out their support, the more people will get involved and with Cernovich and co continuing to attack comedians and actors, it doesn't seem like it will die down anytime soon. I really think this could go either way at this point.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I kinda feel like we could get into a situation where a deeply apologetic Gunn could get back into the seat with an extensive recovery letter written by about a dozen Disney Marketing people. There's quite a lot of big names out there in support of him now, hardly any in outspoken opposition and the public's opinion seems to be on his side, too - Hundreds of Thousands of signees show that. The more big names give out their support, the more people will get involved and with Cernovich and co continuing to attack comedians and actors, it doesn't seem like it will die down anytime soon. I really think this could go either way at this point.

It'll die down by this weekend after the shareholders vote and the news of the merger being official dominates the Disney news cycle.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, nevermind then. It's possible. For some reason I thought they had a fall start.

I still think it's very possible they use Gunn's script though. They didn't throw out Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish's on Ant-Man, even with others doing some rewrites on it.

January is still tight because pre-production needs to start. If they start building sets based off locations in Gunn's current script then it's not a page one rewrite and Gunn gets credit. If they do a page one then I highly doubt they start in January. They could start later in the spring (assuming cast availability which could be dicey considering Saldana may have more Avatar work, Pratt has JP3 at some point, not sure when Gillen is doing Jumanji 2, etc) and still make May 2020 but the effects will suffer.

Using Gunn's script just feels problematic from an optics standpoint. They cut ties and want nothing to do with him but they are still fine with his script? Sounds hypocritical.

Also, not sure what's Gunn's contract for GotG 3 looks like but he may contractually obligated to a producer/EP credit since he just got one on Infinity War.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
January is still tight because pre-production needs to start. If they start building sets based off locations in Gunn's current script then it's not a page one rewrite and Gunn gets credit. If they do a page one then I highly doubt they start in January. They could start later in the spring (assuming cast availability which could be dicey considering Saldana may have more Avatar work, Pratt has JP3 at some point, not sure when Gillen is doing Jumanji 2, etc) and still make May 2020 but the effects will suffer.

Using Gunn's script just feels problematic from an optics standpoint. They cut ties and want nothing to do with him but they are still fine with his script? Sounds hypocritical.

Also, not sure what's Gunn's contract for GotG 3 looks like but he may contractually obligated to a producer/EP credit since he just got one on Infinity War.
Yeah, it would be tight but it's doable in a way that a production start in a couple months wouldn't be. But like I said, I'm skeptical it will be page one.

Gunn will almost certainly get credit in some way, I don't see how Disney gets out of that. Most people don't pay attention to screenwriting credits (sadly) anyway. But I doubt they can untangle themselves from his EP credit.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I mean, movie studios, like most major corporations, are hypocritical and confusing in their policy all the time. They'll gladly pillage what they can from Gunn while severing ties with him. Continuing GotG at all while firing him is about as hypocritical in the eyes of the studio execs, IMO. I.E. not at all to either.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Like ManaByte and others here, I do have my own sources. This is a developing story with an unpredictable outcome. This is uncharted territory, and I honestly don't think Disney will be able to ignore it. The PR nightmare will keep getting worse.

All I'm saying is that it's irresponsible - for any source mind you - to predict the outcome here. This is an incredibly hard situation and arguably Disney and Hollywood's biggest crisis of the literal century, way bigger than #MeToo and made by a pair of alt-right trolls. This situation is far far from over, and IMHO it's clear that media is siding with Gunn because basic common sense. This isn't a Roseanne situation, like the Vulture's article throughly explained earlier today.
tenor.gif

You've been drinking that Mahvel juice a little too hard my guy

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all have to forgive my boy Zatt, he doesn't know how to reel it in and then he lets his hyperbolic nature take over.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Gunn will almost certainly get credit in some way, I don't see how Disney gets out of that. Most people don't pay attention to screenwriting credits (sadly) anyway. But I doubt they can untangle themselves from his EP credit.

I guess I just can't imagine any directors of note willing to work off of his script. Gunn's script from another director is just going to end up in endless debates on who is responsible for what. I'm sure Disney could get a hack like Brett Ratner to do that but if they try to get someone decent I'm guessing the director will mandate a fresh script even if they don't write it themselves.

I mean, movie studios, like most major corporations, are hypocritical and confusing in their policy all the time. They'll gladly pillage what they can from Gunn while severing ties with him. Continuing GotG at all while firing him is about as hypocritical, IMO.

This feels different to me because they are basically citing a morals clause. Usually this stuff is the result of contact disputes, money, etc and yeah the studio has no qualms about bleeding discarded talent for everything they are worth.

Take the directing out of the equation. If a similar accusation was leveled against a high profile screenwriter who doesn't go behind the camera then I have doubts that studios would move forward with adapting previously purchased scripts from that individual. And before you say Max Landis, that never got any traction in the media. It was a story that felt like it would blow up but never did.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I just can't imagine any directors of note willing to work off of his script. Gunn's script from another director is just going to end up in endless debates on who is responsible for what. I'm sure Disney could get a hack like Brett Ratner to do that but if they try to get someone decent I'm guessing the director will mandate a fresh script even if they don't write it themselves.
A lot of Directors would take the job, don't fool yourself. There's a lot of hungry people out there who would kill for an opportunity like this -- just like Gunn was back when he got the original GotG gig. And minor rewrites most definitely could happen either by the next director or someone else, but I don't see them drastically altering what they've got if they want to keep a January production start.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Directors would take the job, don't fool yourself. There's a lot of hungry people out there who would kill for an opportunity like this -- just like Gunn was back when the original GotG came out. And minor rewrites most definitely could happen either by the next director or someone else, but I don't see them drastically altering what they've got if they want to keep a January production start.

No doubt. I just don't know that Disney will be willing to handle a series like Guardians which is a huge moneymaker but needs a very unique vision to just any hack. I think they will go reasonably high profile and in the process kick themselves into a page one rewrite.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
No doubt. I just don't know that Disney will be willing to handle a series like Guardians which is a huge moneymaker but needs a very unique vision to just any hack. I think they will go reasonably high profile and in the process kick themselves into a page one rewrite.

who made a decently well-made 2 million dollar indie movie recently? because that's who they'll get.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm skeptical. They haven't really hired any "high profile" directors. Phase One had a couple, but that was pre-Disney. It's been more that they grab people and in making a MCU movie they become high profile. I could see the argument that Coogler was borderline high profile I guess, but the point stands. We'll see though what happens. Like I said, if they are doing a full rewrite then they aren't keeping the January start date.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Signed it, not that I expect it to make much of a difference.

As for possible replacements, Taika Waititi would be the obvious choice.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You've been drinking that Mahvel juice a little too hard my guy

James Gunn has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FOX CORPORATION has risen from within reach of the Mighty Mouse Empire and will not rest until Gunn, The Last Guardian, has been forgotten.

With the support of the RESETERA, General ZattMurdock leads a brave PETITION. He is desperate to find the director James and gain his help in restoring quality and originality to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Zatt has sent his most daring poster on a secret mission to Twitter, where an old ally has discovered a source privy to the key to James's return….

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm skeptical. They haven't really hired any "high profile" directors. Phase One had a couple, but that was pre-Disney. It's been more that they grab people and in making a MCU movie they become high profile. I could see the argument that Coogler was borderline high profile I guess, but the point stands. We'll see though what happens. Like I said, if they are doing a full rewrite then they aren't keeping the January start date.

Yeah, high profile probably isn't the word I should have used. Basically I mean someone who isn't a hack. Taika Waititi wasn't high profile but he has a unique voice. Marvel in recent years seems to be really good at finding a director with a unique take on the material and then letting them start a franchise and build on it (or in the case of Thor re-invent it when needed). GotG already has that unique vision and personality, to the point where Gunn was consulted on their use in Infinity War. I think it will be a challenge to bring on a promising director and allow them to bring their own vision to the property while retaining Gunn's spirit *and* make a January start date.

It will be attempted- too much money on the table not to. But I expect that it will result in a push of at least a year. Not sure if the production pipeline has anything that can be moved forward to the most sought after release date in May 2020 but I doubt Disney will give up the date easily.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
James Gunn has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FOX CORPORATION has risen from within reach of the Mighty Mouse Empire and will not rest until Gunn, The Last Guardian, has been forgotten.

With the support of the RESETERA, General ZattMurdock leads a brave PETITION. He is desperate to find the director James and gain his help in restoring quality and originality to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Zatt has sent his most daring poster on a secret mission to Twitter, where an old ally has discovered a source privy to the key to James's return….

GOAT.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like ManaByte and others here, I do have my own sources. This is a developing story with an unpredictable outcome. This is uncharted territory, and I honestly don't think Disney will be able to ignore it. The PR nightmare will keep getting worse.

All I'm saying is that it's irresponsible - for any source mind you - to predict the outcome here. This is an incredibly hard situation and arguably Disney and Hollywood's biggest crisis of the literal century, way bigger than #MeToo and made by a pair of alt-right trolls. This situation is far far from over, and IMHO it's clear that media is siding with Gunn because basic common sense. This isn't a Roseanne situation, like the Vulture's article throughly explained earlier today.
Finally drank too much is his own kool-aid, I see.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Couldn't help but hear the music as I read this.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't Lasseter's sexual harassment issues make this not even Disney's biggest crisis of 2018 let alone the century?
Also, I think that having an alligator bite and kill a 2 year old child at Walt Disney World was a bigger deal than firing James Gunn and that was just two years ago.
This is a big issue for Disney, and one that they mismanaged, but they deal with bigger issues fairly regularly.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Guys I just created a change.org petition to unban Zatt. I didn't have much to work with so I photoshopped his avatar over Gunn's face. We shouldn't hold him accountable for words written 9+ minutes ago.

I'm joking lol. Goddamn, I had to do a tripletake over his hyperbole.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since nothing has happened yet, I guess Gunn is gone for sure now? If Disney pulled an 180° it would have happened by now I think. Damn, wonder how will this affect the MCU timeline now.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Since nothing has happened yet, I guess Gunn is gone for sure now? If Disney pulled an 180° it would have happened by now I think. Damn, wonder how will this affect the MCU timeline now.

He's almost certainly gone for sure just because that's how these things go.

That being said, if by some slim margin of chance he does come but it would probably be after Friday's merger vote. I think there is a lot of truth to the idea that Disney acted so fast, from Horn himself, because they needed to keep the stock stable at all costs. If this happened on a Friday in August I think they would have taken the weekend to assess, at least.

For example if this had been the John Lasseter news so close to the vote instead then I think Lasseter would have found his butt outside with a cardboard box of his belongings just as fast instead of being allowed to take a sabbatical.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there hasn't been any rumblings about Disney looking at specific directors yet is a good sign. A lot of times, in cases like this where there is a release date set in stone, you'll hear more about different people who are being looked at.

But there's nothing so far. Not a peep since Disney announced he was fired. Makes me think there's actually a good chance that between the petition and the various people who've come out against their decision (including some members of the cast and the creator of the villain for Disney's biggest film this year and next), that Disney might just be reconsidering all this and want to hold off on an announcement for a few days until after the Fox vote.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
People guessing that something might happen after the vote, do you think this is why most of the cast is running with the 'comment at a later date' thing? Could they have possibly been clued into what Disney might do after the vote? I originally thought they were just going to release a joint statement today or sometime soon but now I'm wondering.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The fact that there hasn't been any rumblings about Disney looking at specific directors yet is a good sign. A lot of times, in cases like this where there is a release date set in stone, you'll hear more about different people who are being looked at.

It's been four days. Prepare to be disappointed in short order.

Oct 25, 2017
People guessing that something might happen after the vote, do you think this is why most of the cast is running with the 'comment at a later date' thing? Could they have possibly been clued into what Disney might do after the vote? I originally thought they were just going to release a joint statement today or sometime soon but now I'm wondering.
In other situations like this "a later date" can give cover to avoid making a full statement. Basically, you give the milquetoast one to placate people in the immediate aftermath, and then if it hasn't died down, you say something, and if it did die down, you just let it go. It's kind of standard PR cover from an immediate crisis.