• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The letter reads like they support Gunn, whatever that means. They don't want to piss off their employer by contradicting them and directly calling for him to be reinstated.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

I mentioned this earlier but this video about the complicated feelings with problematic parental figures but couldn't post it as I was at work and thing it's fantastic. Guardians are some of the best stuff out of the MCU if not the best.

Yeah. Guardians 2 hit close to home for this reason exactly. Had me questioning how I would react if something were to happen to that person in my life.

Hmm. Left me shook and near crying in the theatre. Totally not was I was expecting from the film going in and I adore the movie for getting me to confront that.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The statement doesn't say "we want him to be reinstated." Well it says in their tweets but not in the actual text. Not sure if there is any significance to that.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
The statement might not but all of the actor's posting the statement sure say it.

At this point I'm sure that if they literally tattoo their supports on their skins some will still say that they don't really mean it. I can't wait for James to get reinstated to end his space opera in epic fashion, because it already is epic before it even started filming.

Jul 28, 2018
You can choose not to boycott, but you do so with the full knowledge that you are playing a part to undermine the boycott - the very idea that Disney should face consequences for their actions - as a whole. There is no gray area.

A boycott will not affect Disney at all. Barely a scratch. It will only make GOTG3 not be "super successful" but OK. Nothing that Disney will not drown in other success stories. The stars of the movie and the crew will only be seen as haz-beens. The relative failure will be penned on the GOTG fatigue or some such. Disney will not be hurt by this. But innocent people will, And to a much larger extent. So yes, a boycott is a big no no and will have only negative reprucussions for everyone.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A boycott will not affect Disney at all. Barely a scratch. It will only make GOTG3 not be "super successful" but OK. Nothing that Disney will not drown in other success stories. The stars of the movie and the crew will only be seen as haz-beens. The relative failure will be penned on the GOTG fatigue or some such. Disney will not be hurt by this. But innocent people will, And to a much larger extent. So yes, a boycott is a big no no and will have only negative reprucussions for everyone.

I mean, this could be said for everything. Not buying an iPhone because they produce them in inhuman conditions? It's the low-level workers that pay for it if anything, certainly not the millionaire execs. Not buying a PlayStation because Sony hates crossplay? It's not like Kaz or someone well-known will lose their job over it. You don't like multinationals so you don't eat at McDonald's? If anything happens, it'll be local restaurants closing with people losing their jobs, it's not the higher-ups that take the heat.

This guy said some bad shit. Some people are okay with the fact he's since moved on from being that person, or at least really want to believe so as they enjoy this person's art. Other people will not be okay with what he once said or did, and are perfectly free to boycott to their liking. Let's say all people who posted in this thread boycott the movie: it still makes no major difference in the grand scheme of things, that'd be less than 1% on the revenue. However, everyone is free to act to their liking and follow their own morals. Some people are okay with supporting this guy, others are not. It's not about results, it's about your personal knowledge that you're funding something you agree or disagree with.

Jul 28, 2018
everyone is free to act to their liking and follow their own morals. Some people are okay with supporting this guy, others are not. It's not about results, it's about your personal knowledge that you're funding something you agree or disagree with.
I never did forbid anyone from doing anything. All I did is explaining my rationale of choice in the matter.

If everyone is free. That includes me. So attacking me like I suggested otherwise is disingenous.

And yes, people like me do consider results and casualties when choosing if to act politically in any way. There are some boycotts that help. Some, like the iPhone you mentioned do not hurt directly at anyone. This one can hurt directly, but only good and innocent people, so I choose not to follow it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never did forbid anyone from doing anything. All I did is explaining my rationale of choice in the matter.

If everyone is free. That includes me. So attacking me like I suggested otherwise is disingenous.

And yes, people like me do consider results and casualties when choosing if to act politically in any way. There are some boycotts that help. Some, like the iPhone you mentioned do not hurt directly at anyone. This one can hurt directly, but only good and innocent people, so I choose not to follow it.

I didn't attack you, I explained a point. Not every boycott is done to take down a company, sometimes it's your own moral compass that's involved and that's it. I think that this is one of those gray areas where I can't fault either side, really. Gunn said some fucked up shit in the past, and I don't blame anyone who doesn't support a product made by him. Likewise, others may be fine with his apologies and the fact he changed as a person for the better. In a more extreme sense, it's a frequent discussion even in the legal system: can criminals change, redeem themselves? Some think so, others not. This is of course not a criminal case, but the logic stands: some people think that you can never truly change, others think you do. I personally wouldn't sign a petition like this nor I would protest Disney if they chose to take him back. There's rights and wrongs with both ideas, and I just hope it stays civil all along.

Oct 30, 2017
Ah man,
This is like if my work found out how much of an idiot I was 15 years ago and fired me for it.
When I'm a completely different person now.

This sacking is mental.

Totally against it

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is a good step!
You better believe this took lots of effort to get everyone on the same page. This went through everyones PR department/agent and maybe even lawyer before it went out.
I could see Pratt insisting on including the word "prayers" for example. Others maybe don't want to be too direct in their "demands" towards Disney.

I'm excited to see what comes of this. Marvel/Feige is still silent and I guess they fight behind social media directly with Disney for this.
The campaign is getting a bit fired up again too - we just hit 350k!
It would be amazing if this would really make the Mouse move. And with this letter we should at least get a response from Disney.

Edit: Wait, Disney isn't responding because Bob Iger is on vacation? Lol.

Last edited: