• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I need a copy and paste image showing he has long apologized for the jokes and has become a better person since. I don't know why people ignore that.
They don't have to accept his apology tho. Even if you're changed people will get on your case about not deserving success afterwards.

It's like Dave Chappelle said, you want everybody to be a perfect ally and that's just not possible. It's a ridiculous standard and it sucks that we all aren't afforded mistakes in life anymore.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wouldn't blame the entire Guardians cast for refusing to work on the project under a different director. Put Disney's PR face to the proverbial fire. It's not like they need the money.

And risk getting blacklisted by Disney? With the Fox deal they produce a ridiculous amount of Hollywood movies.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I honestly wouldn't blame the entire Guardians cast for refusing to work on the project under a different director. Put Disney's PR face to the proverbial fire. It's not like they need the money.

Even if they are under contract, it will look even worse for Disney to actually take legal action against any crew members standing up for Gunn. Good on Bautista for not hesitating to take a stand, the rest of the cast doing the same (or hell, even just Saldana and Pratt) would do more to force Disney's hand than anything else.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I hope these petitions succeed because the firing was one of the most hypocritical actions I have ever seen. They are upset over supposed pedophilic posts sent by Gunn years ago as jokes, yet 80% of their animated films feature teens being pursued by adult men. And let's not forget how they sexualized their teen stars like Miley Cyrus and tried to present them as what was basically jailbait. Disney simply has no moral ground here at all to stand on.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Three things might happen:

1. Nothing happens and Disney keeps their mouths shut. And I find this to be a bad move from them since they WILL need to answer, at least from Feige or Iger.

2. Disney goes "fuck ya'll Gunn is back" and pisses off the Alt-Right.

3. Walt Disney Pictures Chairman resigns. It's a PR disaster that started with him. Iger would ask for his head.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between this, Patton, and the Trevor Noah thing I'm losing my mind at how transparent this current moment is and how so many liberals are completely missing it. This is when you circle the fucking wagons.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

1. Nothing happens and Disney keeps their mouths shut. And I find this to be a bad move from them since they WILL need to answer, at least from Feige or Iger.

3. Walt Disney Pictures CEO resigns. It's a PR disaster that started with him. Iger would ask for his head.

Betting on 1, 2 is a possibility, i have no faith in 3

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Between this, Patton, and the Trevor Noah thing I'm losing my mind at how transparent this current moment is and how so many liberals are completely missing it. This is when you circle the fucking wagons.
They've got to clue in eventually, right? I mean, this is a multi-prong war being waged on multiple social media fronts with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

3. Walt Disney Pictures Chairman resigns. It's a PR disaster that started with him. Iger would ask for his head.

If this is dragged out over the next week or more with more celebrities speaking out, both 2 and 3 could happen. It really depends entirely on how long the story stays in the news.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I won't be signing it but didn't feel he needed to sacked. Most people live in a world of grey and everything isn't black on white. The guy made stupid tweets and family values company Disney acted. They weren't wrong to sack but they weren't right to either.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

3 isn't happening. This is bad PR but it's still just thousands of people upset with this. It would have to be millions for the CEO to resign.

Edit:

Man it would be crazy if Disney doubled down and released a statement saying the are proceeding with finding a new director.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They've got to clue in eventually, right? I mean, this is a multi-prong war being waged on multiple social media fronts with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

It's been happening for a while now, I hope this finally wakes some of these fucking people up but it's still hard for a lot I see online to fathom what's actually happening and what the bigger picture is.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017

4. They cancel GotG3. If they want to stand firm on their decision and the actors are now going to start raising a stink on social media they can just cancel the whole project. Pretty much shuts down all bad PR if there is no more movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
4. They cancel GotG3. If they want to stand firm on their decision and the actors are now going to start raising a stink on social media they can just cancel the whole project. Pretty much shuts down all bad PR if there is no more movie.
Shuts down all bad PR? More like throw gasoline on a fire

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Shuts down all bad PR? More like throw gasoline on a fire
Well this will die down, till production starts on GotG3, then people will remember all over again and complain about Gunn. If they shut things down now, in a few months/year no one will have reason to bring this up again as there is no movie in production, no advertising, etc.

So yeah I guess throw gasoline on the fire now to let it burn itself out and not worry about it later.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Signed. The firing was absolutely ridiculous and those who pushed for it need something better to do with their time.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile

It will actually be Disney doing this. Causing a major uproar.

oOXDJDU.jpg

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well this will die down, till production starts on GotG3, then people will remember all over again and complain about Gunn. If they shut things down now, in a few months/year no one will have reason to bring this up again as there is no movie in production, no advertising, etc.

So yeah I guess throw gasoline on the fire now to let it burn itself out and not worry about it later.
If Bryan Singer and Victor Salva can survive being actual pedophiles, I think Gunn and his disowned jokes are going to be fine.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

The only possibility of 3 happening is if GotG3 is cancelled and all the Guardian characters are erased from the MCU.

SuperBlank

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean... I'd like James Gunn to return... but it's not like I'm no longer gonna see GotG3 without him... and I think most are that way... and I think Disney knows that...

If the cast refuses to work without Gunn (which they probably can't do unless there's breach of contract), then maybe.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Alan Horn is 75 years old. His contract as Disney Pictures chairman expires at the end of this year after an extension in 2014. I don't think he even wants to continue because he originally retired when he stepped down from Warner Brothers and Iger personally asked him to come out of retirement to helm Disney. There's no resigning or firing here, he's not sticking around I think.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

I don't think 3 has a remote possibility of happening

1 is the most likely imo but 2 could definitely happen

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Alan Horn is 75 years old. His contract as Disney Pictures chairman expires at the end of this year after an extension in 2014. I don't think he even wants to continue because he originally retired when he stepped down from Warner Brothers and Iger personally asked him to come out of retirement to helm Disney. There's no resigning or firing here, he's not sticking around I think.

Sounds like that would make him an easy fall guy if Disney wanted to save face?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue what's happening here other than James Gunn apparently tweeted some fucked up stuff and is now fired from Guardians.

Why do people want him unfired? I thought the tweets were pretty gross myself. Who jokes like that?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous there's so many reasons why that would be counterproductive

For one the direction GOTG3 goes is completely dependent on what happens in Avengers 4 a movie that's already finished filming and depending on how the story goes needing to rewrite and reshoot will cost alot of money and may end up effecting the quality of the movie and continuity and considering the MCU is built on both of those things and how it's going to impact the conclusion for a story 10 YEARS IN THE MAKING than you can see why Marvel would be hesitant to do that.

Plus if Disney were to cancel an entire movie one that is highly anticipated and has alot riding on it entirely because of the Alt Right than it's going to seriously damage the Marvel brand. All you would do is further empower them because all it says is if you just yell hard enough and slander people with no regard you can not only fire someone in the industry for going against your political beliefs but you can topple one of the biggest movie dynasties in one fell swoop. For Disney one of the biggest movie companies to let that happen they would never live it down it would be one of the most shameful moves they've done in their entire legacy.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue what's happening here other than James Gunn apparently tweeted some fucked up stuff and is now fired from Guardians.

Why do people want him unfired?
It's been explained hundreds of times by now. Long and short: He already apologized for the tweets 6 years ago, and the tweets have been misrepresented to appear worse than they are.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
This is THE truth bomb:

Here is what I think most are upset about and it's not the movie. How does the left plan to win elections when an apologetic and redeemed ally of the left gets treated like this? It is a microcosm of the current political world we live in. The Right literally elected a President that said grab them by the pussy and had affairs and a ton of other horrible shit but their agenda is more important than the man. The left will eat their own. They will disavow those that aren't perfect (I don't want to use Putiry or Virtue test) or dont have pasts that align with their terms and conditions.

That is not a fair fight. He didn't hide or run from his past. He evolved and apologized. He fought the lefts fight. He supported movements and his movies showed that same growth. The world is messy and so are people. There is Grey in the world. This attitude is what should make the Left very scared about their political climate. The alt right can do this because the left allows it.