• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You are incredibly naive if you think that's how these business work. He is not going to be out there blasting Disney for using his script that he was paid for and submitted. In fact, I would wager that Gunn has already decided to be the bigger person here and accept that Disney did what they felt they had to do. He will be in full support of his old crew in making G3. Doing otherwise is Tranking yourself. You don't burn bridges like that if you want to continue working in Hollywood, EVEN IF you were burned yourself.

We talking the same Gunn that publicly insinuated that Jared Leto is a pedophile? Dude is not known for being quiet, in fact that's why he's in trouble. And, as I said, he doesn't have to do much. The second it's revealed that they are still using Gunn's script it's going to cause another huge stinkwell on the internet that will eventually demand that Gunn respond with his thoughts. There will be plenty of tweets and articles asking how Disney can profit off of the work of someone whose character they believe is not fit for Disney. Now, maybe they can weather that coming PR nightmare, but the smarter move would just scrap his script and get their internal team to do a quick rewrite.

Oct 27, 2017
We talking the same Gunn that publicly insinuated that Jared Leto is a pedophile? Dude is not known for being quiet, in fact that's why he's in trouble. And, as I said, he doesn't have to do much. The second it's revealed that they are still using Gunn's script it's going to cause another huge stinkwell on the internet that will eventually demand that Gunn respond with his thoughts. There will be plenty of tweets and articles asking how Disney can profit off of the work of someone whose character they believe is not fit for Disney. Now, maybe they can weather that coming PR nightmare, but the smarter move would just scrap his script and get their internal team to do a quick rewrite.
If they do a "quick rewrite" the WGA will rule Gunn deserves credit. If they do a page one rewrite the script will either be rushed or the movie will be delayed. They're just going to use Gunn's script for the same reason there's another expensive Max Landis movie being made - no one cares about the writer.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's be like Hank Pym in Antman 2

Gunn Supporters: "Please don't tell me you're going to profit off of Gunn's work"

Disney: "No we'll just do a complete rewrite"

Gunn Supporters: "What!? But GOTG is Gunn's life work"

Disney: "Okay we will use his script it would be easier"

Gunn Supporters: " WHY!? You are profiting off the work you disowned?"

Disney: "Than what you want us to do?"

Gunn Supporters: "You were supposed to not fire him!"

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
We are talking about the same Gunn who everyone touts as grown up and mature right? We will have to agree to disagree on the rest of your post, because I don't see any of that happening. I highly doubt his name will be removed as writer.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If they do a "quick rewrite" the WGA will rule Gunn deserves credit. If they do a page one rewrite the script will either be rushed or the movie will be delayed. They're just going to use Gunn's script for the same reason there's another expensive Max Landis movie being made - no one cares about the writer.

We are talking about the same Gunn who everyone touts as grown up and mature right? We will have to agree to disagree on the rest of your post, because I don't see any of that happening. I highly doubt his name will be removed as writer.

We'll soon see.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
230k, impressive. I haven't been able to keep up with this thread and everything, but has there been any follow up response from Disney at all?

Oct 25, 2017
230k, impressive. I haven't been able to keep up with this thread and everything, but has there been any follow up response from Disney at all?
No. Some cast members have been explicit in their support of Gunn, others have been more vague which some here take as support (I would be skeptical). Other comedians and filmmakers have chimed in, almost all in support in one way or another, with some now deleting their twitter because twitter sucks. One director, Lexi Alexander, wasn't supportive and supposedly got chased off of twitter as a result. That's about it.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Gunn Supporters: "Please don't tell me you're going to profit off of Gunn's work"

Speaking of Hank Pym, I think Disney should check his actor's alleged shenanigans in the late 80's out. Maybe. Probably.

No nothing as of yet.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then they should just not make Guardians 3 then. This is Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man on a scale x1000, and they barely got away from that.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an incredibly hard situation and arguably Disney and Hollywood's biggest crisis of the literal century, way bigger than #MeToo
W2KXIpn.gif

This should be tag worthy.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Way to distort and get out of context what I've said. Also, good on you for joking with two actually real and serious issues: yes, this goes way beyond GOTG3 and silly fandom wars. This is about the alt-right weaponizing outrage, this is incredibly dangerous and an weapon to target political enemies. #MeToo in the other hand it's far from being a dangerous precedent or an weapon used by the far right. #MeToo is obviously the most important of the two because one is a movement, the other is an alt-right troll with gamergate tactics. But hey, it's all about the lols, right?

Oct 25, 2017
This is vile. These type of comments from an adult is indefensible.

Anyone would be fired for comments like these. Why exactly is era defending him? No type of apology justifies any of this.

My issue is that Disney almost definitely isn't firing him because of the comments, but because people noticed them. They definitely knew what this guy was about when they hired him.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
W2KXIpn.gif

He's right though. The thing with #Metoo is that, as big as it was, by the time everything came to light everyone basically turned on the accused and axing them was generally well supported. Now they're operating in a total grey area and no one besides nazis and frog avatars are happy with it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Then they should just not make Guardians 3 then. This is Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man on a scale x1000, and they barely got away from that.
I already addressed why that would be a bad idea last night.

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous there's so many reasons why that would be counterproductive

For one the direction GOTG3 goes is completely dependent on what happens in Avengers 4 a movie that's already finished filming and depending on how the story goes needing to rewrite and reshoot will cost alot of money and may end up effecting the quality of the movie and continuity and considering the MCU is built on both of those things and how it's going to impact the conclusion for a story 10 YEARS IN THE MAKING than you can see why Marvel would be hesitant to do that.

Plus if Disney were to cancel an entire movie one that is highly anticipated and has alot riding on it entirely because of the Alt Right than it's going to seriously damage the Marvel brand. All you would do is further empower them because all it says is if you just yell hard enough and slander people with no regard you can not only fire someone in the industry for going against your political beliefs but you can topple one of the biggest movie dynasties in one fell swoop. For Disney one of the biggest movie companies to let that happen they would never live it down it would be one of the most shameful moves they've done in their entire legacy.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
What's the story behind referencing Powder?
The director of Powder, Victor Salva, molested underage boys on the set of his movie Clownhouse and served jail time for it prior to producing Powder for Hollywood Pictures, at the time a Walt Disney Pictures owned production company. Hollywood/Disney hired Salva for Powder knowing full-well that he was convicted and sentenced for child molestation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already addressed why that would be a bad idea last night.
I mean I doubt the film won't get made, but not only would any film maker not want to step into to Gunn's shoes in light of what happened, but the movie is going to be way overshadowed by the controversy. Even if it dies down, you know for damn sure people aren't going to let Disney forget by the time the movie nears release. Is risking what could be a major PR disaster worth it? Could be but shit like this is not going to go away easily especially with the majority of Hollywood including the cast standing behind him.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, I think it's hypocritical on Disney's part to can Gunn from the director's chair but to still utilize his script. I mean, I understand one role has a much more public face than the other but if you're disassociating yourself from someone for political reasons you can't just then go and say "oh but we'll use his script for the movie and pay him for that 'cause we're fine with him contributing in that capacity". This should be an all or nothing deal if you're taking a stand.

I'd rather have Gunn directing and have signed the petition. Just remarking on the double standard.

I should have clarified, but hypothetically they did not like his pitch or script and this was a good way to get Gunn out with out angering the Fan's.

Well, in theory.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
In the three days that Zatt is banned, Marvel Studios will rehire James Gunn and announce the title of Avengers 4 along with news that Daredevil and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be part of the film.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
In the three days that Zatt is banned, Marvel Studios will rehire James Gunn and announce the title of Avengers 4 along with news that Daredevil and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be part of the film.
In the 3 days he's banned Disney will hold a press conference on the Fox buyover with Feige grabbing the mic, saying "Flame on!" and unveiling the Fantastic Four poster for Avengers 4 before dropping the mic.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the 3 days that Zatt is banned, this thread will die an unceremonious death, which causes #rehirejames to crash and burn which causes GOTG3 to get cancelled which causes Avengers 4 to suck... all because he got banned in the first place.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
In the 3 days that Zatt is banned, this thread will die an unceremonious death, which causes #rehirejames to crash and burn which causes GOTG3 to get cancelled which causes Avengers 4 to suck... all because he got banned in the first place.
That would be a bigger disaster than the Hindenburg. Or maybe not.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Why you gotta go so hard? Lel.

In the 3 days he's banned Disney will hold a press conference on the Fox buyover with Feige grabbing the mic, saying "Flame on!" and unveiling the Fantastic Four poster for Avengers 4 before dropping the mic.

All of this will happen tomorrow.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This sucks but it's not a huge crisis. It's a problem and it's awful but not world shattering. With or without Gunn the MCU films will be fine; they'll just be a little different because he won't be involved.

I do hope that something comes of this though. It would be nice if at least at some future point - maybe a couple years - he could be involved again.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
They won't use the script because Gunn could cause a stink if they did. And, it's still so early in the process they can easily find a bunch of new screenwriters to crap out another script.

I agree that they won't use the script but I seriously doubt the film will still hit in May 2020. Marvel worked fast with Ant-Man when Wright bailed but a movie of GotG's complexity needs an absolutely monster amount of prep time.

Honestly that's probably the best shot has of Gunn coming back following Friday's shareholder vote. If they want to keep the original production date (and juggling the cast's availability has got to be super hard) then Gunn back in the chair using his script is their best shot.