• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
KNZM8ET.png

Huge thanks to Freezasaurus for taking care of all the banner and section art, as well as the spooky font!

Ghoulish greetings, horror lovers. I'm Aizō. You may remember me from such threads as my attempt at this last year where I posted it too early and chickened out or that shitty Junji Ito anime adaptation OT. I'm here to open you up to the world of horror comics! This year, I've gotten the blessing to do a similar style thread as ThirstyFly , who does the 31 Days of Horror thread for movies annually. Because horror comics are such a niche, it's suiting to keep this thread limited to a month. Please share it with other members who might be interested. The more, the scarier!

This may be obvious, but you can expect many of the spoiler drop downs with art to include NSFW content.

c8QFQGi.png

•Starting on October 1st, read as many horror comics as you can until the end of Halloween (October 31st)! If you read some every day, eldritch monsters and creatures of the night will smile upon you.

•Post your thoughts for each comic you read in this thread along with this number you've finished so far! Keep track of how many horror comics you've read during the month. If you want to track it as single issues, volumes, or series, that's up to you (just specify when you list the number)! If you just want to casually post about horror comics you're reading or re-reading, feel free. I won't kill ya.

•Any comic you consider horror is fine to post about. No gatekeeping the genre when other members choose something; "That's not really horror!" sort of comments should be avoided unless a user specifically asks for others' input. If you want to read things with horror themes mixed in like Berserk all month, be my guest.

•Mark spoilers so that others can enjoy the thrills of each story, too.

fXavKlH.png

Where in the Hell do I read these things?
Digital:
Hoopla - Manga and comics (free with public library account, US)
Marvel Unlimited - Marvel single issues (paid sub, international)
DC Universe - DC single issues(paid sub, US)
Comixology - manga and comics issues/chapters/volumes (buy comics and manga, international)
ComicWalker - manga in English or Japanese (buy manga volumes, international)

Physical:
Your public library! I order a lot of comics through mine. Otherwise, the usual places: local bookshops, online bookstores, ebay, etc.

KyfB8EZ.png

Before we move to recommendations, I want to address a question I'd been asked many times when I ran a horror manga club.
I'm afraid of horror movies and games, but how could a comic be scary?
Unlike film and games, horror comics don't bring their own sounds and atmosphere, so I personally think that they ask more of the reader to create that environment. Reading horror is unlikely to have you turning the page and screaming, but under the right circumstances, it can have you getting uncomfortable in your chair. It's a mood all its own.

How do you read horror? Surely you don't read it outside at 13:00 with birds chirping while you listen to pop music—you don't do that, right? I'm judging. Ultimately, it's up to your own comfort levels, but I typically read horror at night time with most of the lights out and listening to horror soundtracks on my headphones. Depending on the piece, it can make all the difference. I recommend the following soundtracks:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Biohazard 4/Resident Evil 4
Demento/Haunting Ground
Fatal Frame II
Shadow of the Damned
Silent Hill (1-4 + Origins)
Siren: Blood Curse

Dark, ambient music usually does the trick. I remember someone in my old horror manga club recommending some creepy cult music? That was disturbing.

tf7YrG1.png

I'd make the argument that because the horror comic market is bigger in Japan, it's a lot more approachable. I'm most familiar with horror manga, so I'll start there.

I've read a lot of horror comics over the last 15 years or so, and I even ran a horror manga club for a few years. I'll introduce you to some of the ones I like. I probably wrote too much already, but this was me holding back!

Japanese comics:
There are a number of Horror legends, so let's address them first. I'd say any works by these authors are worth checking out if they strike a dark chord within you

Hideshi Hino
03600fa895b328ebd46f6c92e5cbea47.jpg

Another legend of the horror manga scene. Though I'm not particularly into his work, his influence is undeniable. While his character designs lean into absurd and cartoony, the violence can be extremely graphic. In the chance that his stuff is a hit, please check out these:
Panorama of Hell
Skin & Bones

Junji Ito
7ba08eb1-057a-46e8-ae87-2a62aac8afcd-540x403.jpeg

Probably the most famous horror manga author in the west. His detailed art, gruesome body horror, and Lovecraftian themes made his work a staple. He's my personal favorite, and I've sought out everything I could find that he's written, because he's that good. Of the work available in English, I'd recommend these. I could recommend dozens, but I'm sure you'll find more in the comments.

Frankenstein (more faithful adaptation of the novel than the famous films)
Shiver (great selection of short stories)
Tomie
Uzumaki
I personally think Dissolving Classroom is one of his weakest works, so I would advise you to seek out his other work first.

Kazuo Umezu
umezu02-400x293.jpg

Sometimes stylized as "Umezz" in English. He's likely Junji Ito's biggest influence. He's probably the most famous horror manga author in Japan. I used to live by him, and his house is hated some of his neighbors for its striking pattern that matches Umezu's iconic tshirts with red and white stripes. Anyway...

A Drifting Classroom - His most famous work, reminiscent of Lord of the Flies with children stranded in a horror dimension
Fourteen - A chicken man seeks to destroy humanity. What more do you need to know?
Kami no Hidarite Akuma no Migite - A young boy named Sou gains the ability to see future events in his dreams, but they're always supernatural and distrubing.
Negai - Anthology series. The first story is about a doll with nails for teeth that this family can't seem to get rid, and that doll is terrifying. You can see him at the bottom left of this post. Say hello!

Shintaro Kago
513b8d8683c0f5c6790be20971a3277e_12984_thumbnail.png

The youngest of those mentioned so far, but he's quite acclaimed in horror manga circles for his beautiful art and clever, twisting narratives. His work includes eroguro, ultra violence played for humor, and mysteries. I'm personally partial to the latter, and not so into the others.

Anamorphosis no Meijuu - An anthology, but the longest story involves people on a haunted set for 48 hours, and it does some very interesting things narratively for the medium.
Fraction - In typical Kago fashion, the main story is very meta and weird involving a serial killer.

Suehiro Maruo
2d9c135a94566b4b391d49c6e4bd2ac7.jpg

Extremely striking art which depicts Showa era Japan as a major visual motif in his work. Unfortunately (for me, at least), his work is often eroguro (japanese portmanteau of loanwords meaning erotic and grotesque with ties to the more traditionally Japanese muzan-e), which I personally can't stomach most the time. He has, however done great adaptations of the famous horror and mystery novelist Edogawa Rampo's work.

Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show - His most famous work in the west
The Strange Tale of Panorama Island - One of the Edogawa Rampo adaptations that's well received.
Warau Kyuuketsuki/The Laughing Vampire - Really decadent and horrific vampire manga. Everyone is pretty sick in his manga, generally.

Series:

Goth (W: Otsuichi, A: Kenji Ooiwa/1 vol.)
An atmospheric and haunting adaptation of the well-known Otsuichi novel.
Synopsis:
A rather morbid, sombre story about two high school students—Kamiyama Itsuki and Morino Yoru—who have a peculiar interest in death; especially in murders that are committed close to them. Due to their strong fascination with murder and highly-developed analytical skills (along with some luck), they manage to solve the murders that have eluded even the authorities. Often, it is Kamiyama that solves the bulk of the crimes, down to the smallest of details. But there's only one thing he is interested in; by which method should Morino be killed.
ny_mappe.goth_.ch2_.070.jpg

D_8bhmuX4AE4e35.jpg

Hideout (W/A: Masasumi Kakizaki/1 vol.)
This one is pretty big among horror manga fans, and it's easy to recommend with its short length. The art is meticulously crafted, which makes for some pretty gruesome panels and chilling double-page spreads.
Synopsis:
On an idyllic vacation island in the southern seas, a young couple is trying to overcome the death of their only son. But for Seiichi Kirishima, the husband, the trip has a different purpose altogether. He plans to kill his wife and dispose of her body deep inside the forest. However, when his plan goes awry and his wife manages to escape, Seiichi follows her into a dark cave, only to find himself trapped inside and soon hunted by a savage creature with an insatiable hunger for human flesh...
19519819.jpg

CUgrtgOUcAAf9lU.png

Zekkyou Gakkyuu (W/A: Emi Ishikawa/20 vol.)
Nice horror anthology setup for a fun, serialized feel. It's very much a horror book in a shoujo manga magazine, and that gives it its own charms. Lots of school-aged angst and monkey paw situations.
Synopsis:
Each story is presented to the reader during different class periods by a ghost girl, Yomi, who makes conversation before and after the story usually in relation to it. The tales within her book are to teach the readers about the cruelty of other humans, namely school-aged children, featuring cruel and ironic twists to the victims and antagonist written within it.

CItgAuvVAAAdFvQ.jpg

Western comics:

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
(W: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, A: Robert Hack/2 vol.) - Likely doomed to never be finished, but the first volume is still worth checking out for the great art. The writer went on to adapt it for the netflix series.
Synopsis:
On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, the young sorceress Sabrina Spellman finds herself at a crossroads, having to choose between an unearthly destiny and her mortal boyfriend, Harvey. But a foe from her family's past has arrived in Greendale, Madame Satan, and she has her own deadly agenda.
ChillingAdventuresOfSabrina_04-08.jpg

Clean Room (W: Gail Simone A: Jon Davis-Hunt, Walter Geovani/3 vol.)
It's been a few years since I read this one, but Gail Simone has such an imaginative set of off-kilter characters and horrific images, that the creepy parts stayed with me. This was my introduction to Jon Davis-Hunt, too, and his art is such a treat!
Synopsis:
Journalist Chloe Pierce had no idea that her fiancé Philip's decision to pick up a book by enigmatic and compelling self-help guru Astrid Mueller would change her life forever-by ending his! Three months after reading Mueller's book, Philip had blown his brains out all over Chloe's new kitchen-and something in that book made him do it.

Now, Chloe will stop at nothing as she attempts to infiltrate Mueller's clandestine organization to find the truth behind Philip's suicide and a "Clean Room" that she's heard whispers of-a place where your deepest fears are exposed and your worst moments revealed.
379430._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

bb0f28e8dc022f2c7fd5b5e87cf3f8ec._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Immortal Hulk (W: Al Ewing A: Joe Bennett, Ruy José, Paul Mounts/7 vol. - ongoing)
What? The Hulk isn't a horror comic! Not always, anyway, but Al Ewing took Hulk back to his roots as a more Jekyll/Hyde-inspired situation where he transforms at night. The body horror has members of the comic community thread often exclaiming "HOLY SHIT!" when a new issue releases. While it utilizes many superhero trappings and may be a bit difficult to understand all the references without some Hulk knowledge, I've been loving it despite barely reading Hulk comics before. It's been one of Marvel's greatest ongoing series as long as it's been on the shelves, and it's truly something worth reading.
Synopsis:
Is he man or monster...or is he both? You know Bruce Banner. He's quiet, calm, never complains. He's a scientist who believes he can use the darkest elements of his personality to do good in the world. If someone were to shoot him in the head...all he'd do is die. But the horror lives deeper. And the horror refuses to die. When night falls, something other than the man gets up again. The horror is the Immortal Hulk! And though he cannot die, the Hulk is being hunted yet again. By the government, by Alpha Flight, by the mysterious Shadow Base - and by the Avengers! But Bruce has even bigger problems. Something terrible has infected him. Something with unspeakable plans for humanity. And the only one who knows about this dark infection...is the Immortal Hulk!
immortal-hulk-abomination-1173020.jpeg

hulk-55-scaled.jpg

Wytches (W: Scott Snyder, A: Jock and Matt Hollingsworth/1 vol. + special)
Jock is the perfect artist for this series, and he really brings life (or death?) to the east coast setting. The witches are not what you'd typically imagine, and you wouldn't want to see one hiding outside your window...
Synopsis:
When the Rooks family moves to the remote town of Litchfield, NH to escape a haunting trauma, they're hopeful about starting over. But something evil is waiting for them in the woods just beyond town. Watching from the trees. Ancient...and hungry.
22-wytches-prev-007.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Wytches03.jpg

Member recommendations

Baoh
(W/A: Hirohiko Araki/2 vol.)
An earlier manga by JoJo's mangaka. It's a body horror action title, kind of a mix between The Guyver and JoJo Part 2. It's certainly nothing groundbreaking but a nice, easy to digest throwback to 80s manga/anime. Also, it's fun to see the evolution of Araki's artwork. And yes, it has a lot of posing like JoJo. There's also a pretty solid anime OVA adaptation.
Synopsis:
17-year-old Ikuro Hashizawa is kidnapped and turned into a Baoh, a bioweapon with super human strength and other abilities, by the Doress Laboratory. He escapes with the help of Sumire, a 9-year-old psychic girl. Professor Kasuminome, head scientist at Doress, sends various assassins and monsters to try and kill Ikuro, in means of stopping the Baoh virus from spreading and infecting the world.
51AR8QZW70L.jpg

05.jpg

Doubt ( (W/A: Yoshiki Tonogai/4 vol.)
a bunch of teens wake up in a locked prison like room and must find their way out, but there is a killer among them.... One of those death games with a rabbit motif, but its fun and I enjoy the ending quite a bit.
Synopsis:
A Japanese cell phone game called Rabbit Doubt has gone viral in Tokyo. In it, players are rabbits who must do everything in their power to uncover the wolf in rabbit's clothing before it kills them off. The wolf, a randomly selected player, must use his wiles to create mistrust among the rabbits and knock his adversaries off one by one.
When five fans of this game decide to meet offline for fun, the last thing they expect is to lose consciousness and wake up trapped in an abandoned building with a corpse strung up in front of them and a mysterious barcode tattooed on each of their bodies. Will the virtual friends be able to pull it together in the real world and figure out what's going on in time to avoid ending up the wolf's dinner?
1c749f11ef9df763e53f6cc5eb31061c.jpg

7c2d680d0dfa1a7df4902bb0cb54d191f6a9de1ar1-1200-856v2_uhq.jpg

Franken Fran (W/A: Katsuhisa Kigitsu/8 vol. + new ongoing series)
Fran is a mad scientist who will help you with your problem with "science" whatever they may be. Ultimately Fran functions as a monkeys paw, granting her clients wishes only for them fo tale horrific turns by the end of the story. Horror comes from the grotesque visuals that are sure to make your skin crawl.
Synopsis:
Somewhere, out in the sticks of rural Japan, there is a mysterious manor that is home to the greatest surgeon who ever lived. But when the surgeon goes missing, his reanimated daughter, Fran, takes up the family profession, and despite her Frankenstein-like ways, cares deeply for her patients and holds steadfast to the Hippocratic Oath. Fran's creed? "All lives must be saved, no matter the cost!"
Join Fran, her twisted sister Veronica, and the rest of her monstrous entourage in a gruesomely hilarious tale that would put Mary Shelley to shame! Because for Franken Fran, the ends always justify the means, no matter what ungodly creations emerge from her lab.
FrankenFran_vol1-2.jpg

franken1.jpg

franken2.jpg

Gideon Falls (W: Jeff Lemire A: Andrea Sorrentino/4 vol. - ongoing)
Gideon Falls starts off with two separate stories but soon merges into a crazy ride that wants to keep upping itself, as the setting of Gideon Falls is turned upside down, and goes much beyond what it looks like on the surface."
Synopsis:
The lives of a reclusive young man obsessed with a conspiracy in the city's trash, and a washed-up Catholic priest arriving in a small town full of dark secrets, become intertwined around the mysterious legend of The Black Barn, an otherworldly building that is alleged to have appeared in both the city and the small town, throughout history, bringing death and madness in its wake. Rural mystery and urban horror collide in this character-driven meditation on obsession, mental illness, and faith.
623360._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

849a85544301a1a132f61210d9845c10._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I Am a Hero (W/A: Kengo Hanazawa/22 vol.)
this is a zombie manga with a very long build up told from a very Japanese perspective. Its fascinating seeing zombie fiction from a non-US protagonist because there's no plethora of guns to solve the zombie problem. It also helps the zombies are incredibly creepy.
Synopsis:
With Japan's zombie outbreak in full swing, manga maestro Kengo Hanazawa shows readers how the monstrous ZQN creatures begin to take over Taiwan before taking us back to his main heroes. Our three key survivors must help each other heal up mentally and physically, as Hiromi's mysterious affliction continues to evolve. Hideo and Yabu grow closer as the mysterious Cult of Kurusu spreads across the country. Now a major motion picture, this hit manga series is presented in a deluxe omnibus format, collecting two of the original Japanese volumes into each Dark Horse edition–to catch you up with manga's strangest zombie apocalypse quicker!
51eRbKcvKdL._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

3002491p3.jpg

I, Vampire (W: Joshua Hale Fialkov A: Andrea Sorrentino/3 vol.)
Andrew Bennett made a mistake.

After becoming a vampire himself, he turns his lover Mary Seward. Soon, her newfound powers corrupt her and the newly christened Mary, Queen of Blood vows to rule the world for all vampire kind. Now, over 400 years later, Bennett continues to save mankind in the shadows, away from not only the public, but the DC Universe at large.

The New 52 series serves as a sequel to the 1981 backup series presented in House of Mystery, though can be read standalone. Written by Joshua Hale Fialkov with art by Andrea Sorrentino, I, Vampire covers the same ground as the Dark DC Universe, featuring the likes of Batman and the Justice League Dark. Tweaking existing vampire lore with new additions to the mythos, this "Twilight gone bad" tale has just enough blood and gory to satisfy horror fans without scaring off the more squeamish readers. The unique group of characters (like a confidante with a life debt and a young woman whose personal tragedy puts Bennett in her crosshairs) making their way through the DC Universe to stop a vampire armageddon.

An underrated title among The New 52 relaunch, and a fun horror tinged story set in the larger DCU.
DIG013701_2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

1e0829f29b94ba6df96bdf90d7975078.jpg

Locke & Key (W: Joe Hill A: Gabriel Rodriguez/7vol.+specials)
Written by Joe Hill, son of horror writer Stephen King and an accomplished novelist in his own right. Illustrated wonderfully by Gabriel Rodriguez.
Locke and Key tells the story of the Locke family, who after terrible personal tradegy, move into a strange old house and discover a set of keys with unique magical properties. However evil from the past and the present also has dark designs on the Locke family and their keys and will stop at nothing to get them.
A fascinating tale of magic, monsters and family. Of tragedy and triumph.
Not only some of the best horror fiction in comics, Locke and Key is some of the best comics, full stop.
I cannot recommend this series highly enough.
758361c3abc14d257ec105d062edd226._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

lockeandkey_darkstuff.jpg

Something is Killing the Children (W: James Tynion IV A: Werther Dell'Edera, Miquel Muerto/1 vol. - ongoing)
Something is Killing the Children presents itself with great art and brutal horror as the children of Archer's Peak are being killed, and also introduce a mysterious yet badass character who arrives in the hope to rescue the town. The series shows a lot of promises as the stakes for the town increases.
Synopsis:
When the children of Archer's Peak begin to go missing, everything seems hopeless. The few children that return alive have terrible stories -- impossible details of terrifying creatures that live in the shadows. Their only hope is the arrival of a mysterious stranger, one who believes the children and claims to be the only adult who sees what they can see. Her name is Erica Slaughter. She kills monsters. That is all she does, and she bears the cost because it must be done.
801892._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

69a6b30df889f383e083a3871daf4914._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Vampire Princess Miyu (W: Toshiki Hirano A:Narumi Kakinouchi)
I only got to read a bit of this as they were releasing it in single issues like American comics at the time, and I think I only had a few random issues, but I loved it. Beautiful artwork and if my memory is correct, each issue/chapter was a standalone story about Miyu hunting down stray demons (called Shinma) and sending them back to the darkness. There was also an excellent 4 episode OVA series done, and a later TV series which I can't recall if I saw or not. If you're into dreamy, moody stuff Vampire Princess Miyu is worth a look.
Synopsis:
Stranded in the space between the human world and the demon underworld, the series central characters are a Japanese vampire girl named Miyu and her Western Shinma companion Larva. Miyu is the daughter of both a human being and a Shinma (a name for a race of "god-demon"). She was born a vampire and as such, she was awakened as the guardian whose destiny is to hunt down all stray Shinma and send them back to "the Darkness"; charged with the responsibility of returning the evil demons away. Before turning 15 years old, she yearns to return to the darkness herself but not until she has banished all the Shinma from Earth. And since her awakening, she remains cut off by the facts of who and what she is.
2181295.jpg

17131l.jpg

Werewolf by Night Omnibus (W: Gerry Conway, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman A: Mike Friedrich, Mike Ploog, Werner Roth, Tom Sutton, Gil Kane, and more)
Issues collected: Marvel Spotlight (1971) 2-4, Werewolf by Night (1972) 1-43, Marvel Team-Up (1972) 12, Tomb of Dracula (1972) 18, Giant-Size Creatures 1, Giant-Size Creatures 2-5, Marvel Premiere 28
I love the dark inks and vibes of Werewolf by Night. It's such a perfect October read. A little quirky too. The Werewolf's real name is Jack Russel.
Synopsis:
He's Jack Russell by day, but he's the Werewolf By Night! On his 18th birthday, Jack discovers that he has inherited his father's curse - and that's when things really get hairy! Can he save his sister from sharing his fate? Discover how Jack became one of Marvel's supernatural stars of the seventies in these classic adventures, serving up everything from witches to aliens to Dracula himself! But which horrifying heroes will join Jack in the Legion of Monsters?
51fhCmQWhWL.jpg

4b42fff67478792e35815d490b1cb80e._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

What!? You want more recommendations!? Of course you do! I can't vouch for everything on these lists, but there are tons of great series listed:
Paste Magazine: 100 of the Best Horror Comics of All Time
This was one of my friends when I was still doing a horror manga club. We have some overlap. I had to screencap the list instead of linking it, because she included links to fan translation sites.
fKnNZ5Q.jpg

T5ocwdz.jpg

Now get to making your list and reading those scary picture books!
SEGPzTi.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Thank you again to Freeza for the art and creepy text, fellow members here for writing up recommendations, and to ThirstyFly for letting me use this title!

Check out ThirstyFly's 31 Days of Horror (movies) thread!
www.resetera.com

31 Days of Horror (2020) - The October Movie Marathon

Welcome ghouls, to 31 Days of Horror. The most deranged and torturous movie marathon to ever haunt your nights returns from its slumber for another yearly dose of terror. Attempted only by the most degenerate, the survivors always come back for more (and sometimes the non-survivors too). This...

Please advise me if you think anything in the OP should be adjusted, as this is my first year doing this, although I've wanted to do it for a while. I know horror comics are super niche, but please give them a try! I hope you all find enjoyable spooky comics to read and have fun talking about them!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread, Aizō! Thanks for putting this together!

940be7c8025b496035d87573b5623831.jpg

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
IMO, Junji Ito's works categories as a comedy in my head. His work is so hilarious and makes me laugh every time.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Thank you so much! My greatest fear is that this thread won't even be able to survive through October, but keep bringing it back from the dead, regardless! I'll probably rearrange some art in the OP tomorrow so it's not so text heavy. I'm sure that's overwhelming.

I haven't even really thought about what I'm going to be reading, but I may finally get around to reading Franken Fran and Nocturnals. Nocturnals is Halloween as fuck!
Noc4_zpsnqomi48u.jpg

cpcz

Oct 28, 2017
New Donk CIty
Wow cool thread, I almost read all manga on spiralphobia's top 100

anyway, kuro ihon actually has 2 sequels, aka ihon and shiro ihon you definitely should check that out if you like kuro ihon

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Well it can't be a horror comic thread without a mention of Moore's Swamp thing run can it? Probably one of the best Western horror comic runs ever. Great thread and will check out some of those other horror Manga as only really familiar with Ito.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished a read through Moore's Swamp Thing. Amazing use of horror throughout. Some of it genuinely skin crawling.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Here's another quick recommendation from me.

Severed, by Scott Snyder, Scott Tuft and Attila Futaki.

Its a 7 issue period piece set in early 20th century America.
Its about young children surviving out in the world and hunted by a mysterious, canibalistic stranger.
I highly recommend it.

216449595_Severed02.jpg.02e8b918a19227d7e1a7cc7f4052faf9.jpg

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
anyway, kuro ihon actually has 2 sequels, aka ihon and shiro ihon you definitely should check that out if you like kuro ihon
I still gotta get around to those. Kuro Ihon wasn't bad. What are some of your favorite horror manga? You reading anything new?
Well it can't be a horror comic thread without a mention of Moore's Swamp thing run can it? Probably one of the best Western horror comic runs ever. Great thread and will check out some of those other horror Manga as only really familiar with Ito.
Right! I left a lot out in hopes that people would recommend them to others.
Excellent OP, Aizō. I've added a link here from the movies thread.
Thank you very much :)

Deleted member 20202

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Harrow County by Cullen Bunn. Another cracking spooky tale, and well worth your time.

Lovely watercolour art by Tyler Crook.
The Library editions are a must buy IMO

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn, Aizō that is a nice op.

Big thumbs up to Gideon Falls, it has some of the creepiest page turns and images.

I also highly recommend Nameless by Grant Morrison, Chris Burnham, Nathan Fairbairn, and Simon Bownland. The art is incredbly well done, while the story is...well it's kinda nonsense, even having read it twice I don't really understand it. But I do think it's the most unsettled I've been by something in a while.

KineAg62

May 8, 2018
I forgot all about Clean Room. Definitely going to re-read that. Still trying to get into manga so I'm really excited about all of those recs.

cpcz

Oct 28, 2017
New Donk CIty
I still gotta get around to those. Kuro Ihon wasn't bad. What are some of your favorite horror manga? You reading anything new?

I read kudan no gotoshi awhile ago. The story revolve a round group of friends who cursed by mythical creature that has body of a bull with human face, still ongoing when I left it. I haven't read horror manga lately tbh, so I actually come here for something new, and i think there's some I found interesting

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I read kudan no gotoshi awhile ago. The story revolve a round group of friends who cursed by mythical creature that has body of a bull with human face, still ongoing when I left it. I haven't read horror manga lately tbh, so I actually come here for something new, and i think there's some I found interesting
Can you read Japanese, by chance? There's a ton of great stuff that doesn't get translated (even by fans).
Fantastic OP Aizō thanks again for asking for my rec.
<3 also OT, but I saw you use my Lashley-esque Batman avi on discord haha. It cracks me up.

cpcz

Oct 28, 2017
New Donk CIty
Can you read Japanese, by chance? There's a ton of great stuff that doesn't get translated (even by fans).

No, not yet, kanji is tough, but it also my fault for using my free time for vtuber or playing ff14 lol. I do really wanna read or watch more j-horror tho

I suddenly remember some stuff I like which haven't mentioned in here:

- Deep (webtoon) - the premise is simple, people suddenly visited by their missing loved one that come from..... the sea (completed)
- 6000 - a story about explained incident that happen in submarine platform 6000 meters beneath the surface. (completed)
- Another - a psychological thriller / tragedy manga. I'm not sure how to explain the premise without spoiling it just a new transfer student discovering secret from his new classmates (completed)

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I've been trying to get back into comics and manga for a while, but haven't really found the motivation, so I'll be participating in this thread and looking for recommendations. I'm not sure if I'll be able to read something every day because my main focus will be horror movies, but I'll do my best to read a chapter or two.

I still have to go though and see what horror titles on I have on hand so I don't know what I'll be reading, but I absolutely LOVED the I Am a Hero movie adaptation and instantly bought some volumes of Dark Horse's omnibus which I haven't gotten around to reading yet, so I'll be starting those for sure.
I might start on the old Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street comics too. I've read the Freddy vs. Jason sequel comics and thought they were okay. I think I have the first TPB of the Hellraiser comic as well.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If there are any Japanese readers, I found this horror manga recommendation list for 2020 recently. In my experience, it's very hard to find Japanese recomendations for horror series that aren't super popular. It'll either just be Junji Ito, or they'll recommend you stuff like Gantz and Attack on Titan or something. Anyway.

戦慄の恐怖!!背筋が凍るおすすめホラー漫画/めちゃコミック

読んだら最後…背筋も凍る恐怖の世界にあなたを誘うホラー漫画をまとめました!夜、電気が消せなくなってしまうかも…?

Out of that list, I'll probably check out Uguisu's (who did Shibito no Koe wo Kiku ga Yoi) new series, Freud Stein no Futago, as well as Mieruko-chan, as I've heard good things about that one.

If you're desperate for more unknowns, just browse through Champion Red's published series. They get a lot of horror.
No, not yet, kanji is tough, but it also my fault for using my free time for vtuber or playing ff14 lol. I do really wanna read or watch more j-horror tho
I used to just buy random horror manga at the convenience store. Lots of garbage, but it was fun. haha

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost finished with my re-read of Tomie. I haven't read it in a while.

I don't really find Junji Ito's works scary. Definitely creepy, but not the kind of shit that will keep me from falling asleep at night.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm almost finished with my re-read of Tomie. I haven't read it in a while.

I don't really find Junji Ito's works scary. Definitely creepy, but not the kind of shit that will keep me from falling asleep at night.
Nothing scares me like except that time the other month when a mountain lion was staring me down in the dark. No media can make me think I'm about to literally die haha.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Anybody got lesser known horror manga recs for next month? I feel like I'm familiar with most every good series that's well known at all in the west. It's fine if the series hasn't been translated.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the thread! Already love Ito and Umezu and Immortal Hulk.. now I've got something new to read!

I'd toss in Minetaro Mochizuki's Dragon's Head.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Head

The end of everyone was just the beginning...
Returning home by train after a class trip, Teru Aoki takes a most frightening ride inside a mountain tunnel. When the train derails, nearly everyone aboard is killed. Amidst the bloody carnage, Teru discovers two survivors - but salvation is far from their grasp. As they try to dig out from the wreck in order to come up with a plan to stay alive, the lack of light and food, combined with the stench of death and decay, will lead one member of the group down a dark and demented path. And with sudden, violent earthquakes shaking the tunnel, escaping to the outside world may lead them to an even greater danger.

I think it's on Comixology.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I'll definitely have to crack out some Junji Ito at some point this season. I'll see if I can find/remember any interesting recommendations to share, as well.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Has anybody made a list of what they plan to read next month? I'll also be watching lots of horror movies, playing horror games, and... moving, so I'm gonna make a small list for now in case I don't end up having much time to read. Here are some things I'll finally try to get around to:

Manga:
Fourteen by Kazuo Umezu (never finished it years back!)
Franken Fran
Karada-sagashi
Mieruko-chan
Panorama Island by Suehiro Maruo (adapted from Edogawa Rampo)
Sensor by Junji Itou

Western comics:
Locke & Key
The Low, Low Woods
Nocturnals
Severed (my Aussie friend and I mail each other horror books, and she mailed this a while back. I gotta get to it.)

Last edited:

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Has anybody made a list of what they plan to read next month? I'll also be watching lots of horror movies, playing horror games, and... moving, so I'm gonna make a small list for now in case I don't end up having much time to read. Here are some things I'll finally try to get around to:

My top priority is the 31 movies (obviously), but for this thread I plan on starting and hopefully finishing the first two I Am a Hero omnibus volumes. I'd also like to finally finish off The Walking Dead if I can figure out where I left off.
I'm not sure what to read next if I get though all that. I'll probably see if I have any Junji Ito on hand (don't think I do) or whatever I have sitting around.
I'd also like to finally start on The Evil Within for games, but that's lowest priority after movies and comics/manga.

Edit: Oh, I'd like to read GYO since I saw the anime movie years ago and heard it wasn't a very good adaptation.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.

Manga:
Fourteen by Kazuo Umezu (never finished it years back!)
Franken Fran
Karada-sagashi
Mieruko-chan
Panorama Island by Suehiro Maruo (adapted from Edogawa Rampo)
Sensor by Junji Itou

Western comics:
Locke & Key
Nocturnals
Severed (my Aussie friend and I mail each other horror books, and she mailed this a while back. I gotta get to it.)

Not really. XD It won't be that big for me also, since I focusing on the movies too. Been reading some Hellraiser Masterpieces via Unlimited, but not sure if I will continue the sub. Maybe I will consider looking into Locke & Key this coming week before it ends.

Will likely add Gideon Falls as a re-read up to current issue to the list, in preparation for the series ending at the end of the year, and should probably start a bit on The Walking Dead.

Edit: While looking at my Humble Bundle stuff, I could also add the first trade of Afterlife with Archie, and maybe Bakemonogatari (that seems to be horror?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Ooh, yeah. Another good option for new horror comics are all the Hill House books from DC! Joe Hill (son of Stephen King, if that means more to you than his name) curated the line, and there are some awesome books that are mostly already finished! The Low, Low Woods just had its collected volume release today!

Here's a list of the books if you wanna check 'em out! Lots of talented writers (including Joe Hill himself) and artists worked on this line!
www.dccomics.com

Hill House Comics | DC

Deleted member 20202

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Ooh, yeah. Another good option for new horror comics are all the Hill House books from DC! Joe Hill (son of Stephen King, if that means more to you than his name) curated the line, and there are some awesome books that are mostly already finished! The Low, Low Woods just had its collected volume release today!

Here's a list of the books if you wanna check 'em out! Lots of talented writers (including Joe Hill himself) and artists worked on this line!
www.dccomics.com

Hill House Comics | DC

Good shout read the first one on the weekend and rather enjoyed it. It's not flat out horror tbh and has a fair bit of comedy.

Low low woods is on its way to me.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Good shout read the first one on the weekend and rather enjoyed it. It's not flat out horror tbh and has a fair bit of comedy. Low low woods is on its way to me.
Nice! I really wanna read Low, Low Woods because a gal workin' at the comic shop a town over told me it's great, and she seemed trustworthy. I will wait until October, but I'm excited to check it out! I'll probably try to read as much of the line as I can come next month.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Last year I was gonna re-read Uzumaki and Tomie but never got around to it, I'm actually try to do that this year.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Wow a mention of Spiralphobia!!!!

I have it on my bookmarks for years and every now and then I click on it to see if there is any update and leave disappointed because there is none.

Do you know what happened with it OP?

Anyway, great thread!

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Wow a mention of Spiralphobia!!!!

I have it on my bookmarks for years and every now and then I click on it to see if there is any update and leave disappointed because there is none.

Do you know what happened with it OP?

Anyway, great thread!
I don't. The gal who ran it used to be in my horror manga club (but really just to check in and say hi), and she just kinda disappeared one day.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I started reading Franken Fran last night after midnight. Lots of text, and I read slower in Japanese, so I didn't get very far. It seems fun so far. I can't tell if the focus is more on dark comedy and if there's an overarching plot yet.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My big recommendation is in the OP but I also think everyone should read Nailbiter.

I'm going to be reading Harrow County this month. oooOOOOooo