• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

kotaku.com

I Hope Bowser's Fury Is The Future Of Mario

Bundled with the enhanced port of 2013’s Super Mario 3D World coming to the Switch on February 12, Bowser’s Fury is an open-world side-story that pits Mario against the scariest damn Bowser ever. So far it’s the most fun I’ve had with Mario since Odyssey.

www.polygon.com

Bowser’s Fury is the most chaotic Mario game I’ve ever played

What if Mario was hunted by Godzilla?

www.eurogamer.net

Bowser's Fury is possibly the strangest Super Mario game since Sunshine

Sunshine looms large over Bowser's Fury, the expansion that's being bundled into next month's re-release of Super Mario…

www.theverge.com

Bowser’s Fury is a heavy metal remix of Super Mario 3D World

Launching in February on the Nintendo Switch.

powerup-gaming.com

Hands-on Bowser’s Fury Preview (Switch) – Super Saiyan Plumber - PowerUp!

Bowser's Fury comes bundled with Super Mario 3D World's Switch re-release and let me tell you, so far, it's bloody awesome. As far as I can tell, Super Mario 3D World is much the same as it was on Wii U, so I'm not going to be talking about it much. It's a decent Mario

www.videogameschronicle.com

Hands-On: Bowser’s Fury is an unexpected Mario mash-up | VGC

Watch over ten minutes of the ‘short, standalone’ Super Mario 3D World Switch adventure in action…

www.thegamer.com

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury Preview: The Fast And The Furious

Because the game is faster, and Bowser is now furious.
unknown.png

tl;dr

-false reports that they removed the run button, you just move faster which threw some people off
-specs: SM3DW 1080p docked, BF 720p docked | SM3DW+BF 60fps docked, SM3DW 60fps handheld but BF 30fps handheld
-online: friends only, progress/saves for host only, connection worked great for outlets in preview environment with others far away (unless you have shit wifi of course)
-SM3DW retains 8-way directional movement, BF is full range movement
-approx. time to beat BF is 6h for 100%, half that to do the usual murder Bowsy minimum
-people are digging BF

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Haven't had time to read yet - how do you run? How do you grab? Same button?
Did they change the thing that made multiplayer unplayable chaos?

Edit: Looking at that uncommented multiplayer video - they are running and they don't seem to be picking each other up all the time. Gives me hope.

Last edited:

razt99

Jan 7, 2021
"What if Mario was hunted by Godzilla"... of only he knew King Kong... Guess a Donkey will have to do.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Haven't had time to read yet - how do you run? How do you grab? Same button?
Did they change the thing that made multiplayer unplayable chaos?

Edit: Looking at that uncommented multiplayer video - they are running and they don't seem to be picking each other up all the time. Gives me hope.

Apparently, running has been changed, you no longer need to push a button to run, just move the stick all the way. This is because all players will have an analog stick (3D World on Wii U had to account for players using a Wii Remote only)

I'm interested to see how well online play works. Seems to be fine in the vids I've seen.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this is a game-change or an online-change, but in that 8 minutes of online footage that's in the op, Beep Block Skyway's theme (and as a result the block swaps) appear to be slower than that of the Wii U version.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
So...from what I can see, 3D world clearly runs 60fps in handheld mode however, Bowser's Fury looks 30fps in handheld mode. I'm I tripping?

Drillow

Oct 27, 2017
Which preview says that?

You can see it on this video.

3D World levels run at 60 FPS and Bowser's Fury run at 30, but just on handheld. Docked mode seems to be 60 for both.

Edit:
So...from what I can see, 3D world clearly runs 60fps in handheld mode however, Bowser's Fury looks 30fps in handheld mode. I'm I tripping?

Yeah, I'm not the only one that noticed it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Man, I really wish Bowser's Fury could be bought separately. I loved 3D World, but I played it to death and back on Wii U and as much as I enjoyed it, I really don't see myself going through it again. I still may end up buying it, though lol.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're essentially getting a brand new 3D Mario game in Bowser's Fury....next month! That really hasn't sunk in fully yet for me.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this seems like a much shorter game than a new 3D Mario would be, so I wouldn't get my expectations unreasonably high. It does look fun though.
Yeah, I know it's a bite-sized experience, but I'm perfectly fine with that. It's still a new Mario game from the core 3D team (I assume? It'd be weird if it were developed by another team), which is fantastic.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally adding online play but making it friends only without an option for matchmaking is just so Nintendo.

Good lord.
I don't know if I'd call it "so Nintendo" when matchmaking has been in basically all of their online games and was even prioritized over friend play in Mario Maker 2 at first. The fact that it's not here implies at least to me that it's omitted for design reasons.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Apparently, running has been changed, you no longer need to push a button to run, just move the stick all the way. This is because all players will have an analog stick (3D World on Wii U had to account for players using a Wii Remote only)

I'm interested to see how well online play works. Seems to be fine in the vids I've seen.

Even better! No run button at all - I can work with that I think!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't know if I'd call it "so Nintendo" when matchmaking has been in basically all of their online games and was even prioritized over friend play in Mario Maker 2 at first. The fact that it's not here implies at least to me that it's omitted for design reasons.

Definitely not.

There is absolutely no "design reason" reason to omit it. We gotta stop making excuses for Nintendo on lacking basic online features for their paid online service.

Sackboy -- a 3D World clone -- literally just released a couple months ago, has online co-op with matchmaking that works. There is no valid excuse to not include the option.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
ooooh mama I can't wait to play this game again
Even better! No run button at all - I can work with that I think!

I apologize for the error - I may have misread. Watching the handheld play video above and they are clearly using the run button, plus there's a prompt to use Y to dash.

Definitely looks faster though.

EDIT: Okay, I was both wrong and right. You can move the stick to run normally, or you can hold Y to dash which makes you move even faster.

GimeC

Sep 2, 2020
This sounds incredible, though it's a shame it's probably gonna be on the short side, considering that multiple previews make an explicit note that Nintendo told them to not talk about length. Not sure why they'd mention that if it's not an issue, but hopefully I'm wrong.

EDIT: Looks like this site didn't get the memo about the length embargo. https://venturebeat.com/2021/01/27/bowsers-fury-is-a-meaty-3d-mario-adventure/

They said
3 hours to beat it, 3 more to 100%. That's not too bad, actually.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I must be the only person that had no issues with the run button on Wii U. :/

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It wouldn't be the first Nintendo game to have great online tho
While true, Nintendo is really inconsistent when it comes to this sort of thing. I made a poll a couple of weeks ago and most people were definitely pessimistic about how the online would turn out:

www.resetera.com

Nintendo has been pretty hit-or-miss when it comes to online play. How will Super Mario 3D World fare?

I know that people like to (somewhat justifiably) criticize Nintendo for having bad online play for their games, but they've managed to release games that actually play rather well online across multiple different genres. The problem is that it feels like a coin-flip as to whether or not the...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
While true, Nintendo is really inconsistent when it comes to this sort of thing. I made a poll a couple of weeks ago and most people were definitely pessimistic about how the online would turn out:

www.resetera.com

Nintendo has been pretty hit-or-miss when it comes to online play. How will Super Mario 3D World fare?

I know that people like to (somewhat justifiably) criticize Nintendo for having bad online play for their games, but they've managed to release games that actually play rather well online across multiple different genres. The problem is that it feels like a coin-flip as to whether or not the...
Oh yeah, I know what the consensus is but it is not, like several people thinks, impacting all their games.