• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's stability:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/231/p/430 said:
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

While I'm not really expecting anything of note to come out of this, there are some rather unusual modules updated this time. Of particular note is the DSi-mode firmware, which doesn't seem to have meaningfully changed since 2013 (outside of New 3DSes getting their own version because the hardware is different).

Old 3DS report

New 3DS report

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure that my DS could survive a global-scale earthquake with meteors falling at this point.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
eJONsrX.gif

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
It patched the Luma CFW. Apparently Luma was already patched to circumvent it.
People are also saying that Nintendo implemented a security system on eShop that's similar to Switch's, which mean they'll be able to identify the console that's downloading games and ban individual units (yes, previously they couldn't, which allowed piracy apps like freeshop to download anything for free)

People are also saying that Nintendo implemented a security system on eShop that's similar to Switch's, which mean they'll be able to identify the console that's downloading games and ban individual units (yes, previously they couldn't, which allowed piracy apps like freeshop to download anything for free)
This is fucking hilarious

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
another one of these. zzz.
now to wait until the homebrew apps update.
good thing they're doing something about the piracy stuff. just in time for Wario Ware.

OP
OP
Pokemaniac

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Well that probably explains updating the AM and NIM modules. I'm still wondering what the point of updating the DSi mode firmware after all this time is, though. They had basically stopped doing that not long after they stopped pushing out updates for the actual DSi.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
This is a sign of Nintendos continued 3DS support!!

...though I wish they'd add a new feature or something. C'mon, allow us a 12 hour clock option! And region freedom!!

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
So it's a more substantial security update than usual? That's a little bit worrying; I have all my cartridge-based games dumped and installed to my system, but there's no way to distinguish that from a straight up pirated game. Here's hoping there aren't new antipiracy checks for installed games.

Oct 25, 2017
So it's a more substantial security update than usual? That's a little bit worrying; I have all my cartridge-based games dumped and installed to my system, but there's no way to distinguish that from a straight up pirated game. Here's hoping there aren't new antipiracy checks for installed games.
Yeah, I'm hoping that's not the case either as I have most of my cartridge collection dumped onto my SD card with the saves copied over, I would hate for this to result in a ban.

I think we'll be fine unless we're downloading games from the eShop illegally though.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Hopefully thats not the case though cause thats how I am to. Although I don't think I use online on 3ds for anything so I guess it wouldn't affect me anyhow.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I have well over 50 or 60 3DS retail games and I've come to the habit of just downloading them from freeshop rather than the slow and time consuming process of dumping them via FBI.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
It's so incredibly pointless at this point, zero reason for someone to update to 11.8, no one's gonna stay locked out, and I'm pretty skeptical that Nintendo can identify anything from eshop use

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I have well over 50 or 60 3DS retail games and I've come to the habit of just downloading them from freeshop rather than the slow and time consuming process of dumping them via FBI.
I've only done FBI myself, but I'm curious to see what happens if it flags you for those too (the eShop DOES think you "own" them...) if that's a concern I guess I'll go through the obnoxious process of using Checkpoint to back everything up and restore to cart, though I will NOT like making my games at large vulnerable to loss/theft again.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, i guess i won't be updating this time if the freeshop thing is true

I don't have any GAME or other retailer to rent games from near me (i have to take 2 buses to get to one) so i use the freeshop to try any game i'm interested on before making my move

On the other side, if true, happy to see Nintendo Finally making a move agaisnt it firmware side.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Wake me up when it gets a sleep mode on the level of Vita. I hate holding off on a game for a few hours only to come back with its battery drained.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it region free yet?

Serious note,
Also I know its wishful thinking for Nintendo to actually do anything with the 3DS at this point, I wish they would get rid of the Miiverse icon, the fact its still there after the service has been shut down is really annoying.

Also be nice if they gave us a screenshot option in its place.

Wake me up when it gets a sleep mode on the level of Vita. I hate holding off on a game for a few hours only to come back with its battery drained.
I'd imagine if you turned off all the Wireless features like Street Pass you should be better with this, thats the main reason the 3DS doesn't hold a charge as long while in sleep mode.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I'd imagine if you turned off all the Wireless features like Street Pass you should be better with this, thats the main reason the 3DS doesn't hold a charge as long while in sleep mode.

Nah the Vita and 3DS are so different in this aspect. I'm always so surprised my Vita still has juice while after a couple of days I see my 3DS blinking the red low battery light.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh Jesus.

If I understand it correctly, you absolutely can't go online with digital titles not obtained through the eShop anymore (without getting banned). Being able to dump my games was the entire reason I hacked my 3DS to begin with. :/

Edit:
Things are still developing, but it looks like the only changes are in the network installation module (nim). Nintendo now requires valid tickets when they receive a request to download something. This only affects people using Nintendo's CDN to download content that they haven't purchased. As of now, it is believed that this doesn't affect anything or anyone else.

Time for a nice, hearty sigh of relief.

Last edited:

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Turn off wi-fi. Given that if you go on CFW you probably shouldn't leave it on in case of surprise updates like this it'd be the same effect!

EDIT: Though it still kinda sucks and I've used a power bank case to help make up for that.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Oh Jesus.

If I understand it correctly, you absolutely can't go online with digital titles not obtained through the eShop anymore (without getting banned). Being able to dump my games was the entire reason I hacked my 3DS to begin with. :/

Wow, this really sucks if true. I have a modded version of Fire Emblem Fates (and more), and I occasionally use the online functions to visit other castles.

I don't like it if I can't use the online functions anymore...

I need to finish all games with online functions ASAP, and then permanently turn off WiFi on my 3DS.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will this still allow me to play injected GBA games without getting a ban? I'll remove CFW if so, because I'd rather be able to resell the system or use the eshop in the future than play Mega Man Zero for the tenth time. Losing access to my flash cart would be annoying too but I still have my DSi I suppose

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Will this still allow me to play injected GBA games without getting a ban? I'll remove CFW if so, because I'd rather be able to resell the system or use the eshop in the future than play Mega Man Zero for the tenth time. Losing access to my flash cart would be annoying too but I still have my DSi I suppose
If you are in airplane mode, doesn't matter what you play.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Jesus.

That sucks for physical games CFW users. Can't say it will affect me anyhow.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Before everyone starts freaking out, check out this tidbit of information.
0a290e767cabc7b4a826bce3c8ddb84f.png

What this means is unless you are using FreeShop to install, you have nothing to worry about. And if you already did install using FreeShop, but aren't anymore, you have nothing to worry about. Just make your cartridge backups and install via FBI and you will not have any issues.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017

Bit pointless now this seens like one last hurrah from nintendo just to mess with the 3DS scene.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll quote myself from the other thread but this is entirely part of attacking freeshop as pirates/thieves/villains of low morale character have been trying to apply it to Switch, Nintendo's probably going to migrate their entire content network behind authentication of purchase validity checks.

Seems these changes are aimed at moving the entire content server behind auth. They moved their switch Shogun server behind dauth (need valid console cert non-banned to access title data). Now they put 3DS with a system that can handle server-side authentication requests, Switch can already do this but isn't currently used.

Now that shitheads started abusing Switch CDN not completely cutting off the CDN after a ban and issuing of mega-bans has started, Nintendo seems to be planning to move the entire CDN behind valid purchase ownership. They probably needed to move the 3DS otherwise potentially break their Network distribution.

Basically this is purely to stop pirates. If you're upset with this change, you're probably a pirate.

But, now that's part of the 3DS's system, they can ALWAYS begin to fold in online checks beyond just the install validity check, but for now their goal is to shut off freeshop.

Bit pointless now this seens like one last hurrah from nintendo just to mess with the 3DS scene.

Its not, its part of them migrating everything behind d/aauth requests. They're not messing with homebrew, they're messing with pirates.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Better late than never about fighting Freeshop, heh.
I still can't believe that stuff worked in the first place.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Better late than never about fighting Freeshop, heh.
I still can't believe that stuff worked in the first place.

3DS had no user side authentication, since it came before eShop even existed. They're only even doing this because they already did it for Switch in Horizon, and then backported it.

And if their servers start doing aauth requests, 3DS would break how it works without this change.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Well, guess I'll have to dump my games using FBI from now on... or use the actual carts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quite an inconvenience, but I'll live.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Rip to the freeshop but it wasnt updated as frequently as I'd like anyways so no huge loss. Atleast it's only checking going forward.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Always great to read. Fuck pirates.