• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
  1. Higher Average Time to Kill (TTK), Lower Gun Magnetism, and Advanced Movement
  2. A Concise, Coherent, and Chief-Focused Story
  3. All Content Available on Launch
  4. Cosmetic-Only Microtransactions

http://www.thexboxhub.com/4-improvements-halo-infinite-can-make-to-resurrect-the-brand/

To me, I feel like these four points cover a large portion of the game's player base (casual, hardcore/old school, single player-only, and competitive) outside of what 343i has already stated would be incorporated into the game.

What does Era think should be changed to improve the Halo series as a whole with Infinite?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Releasing The Master Chief Collection and Guardians on PC could also help spark a much larger streaming and competitive community if 343 plays its cards right. Would certainly help Infinite's chances on the platform too.

Thought this was about the Halo IP as a whole at first. Sorry about that.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I dropped out when they removed co-op from the campaign with Halo 5. Where are we with re-adding that functionality?

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Number 2 is very debatable in the sense that Halo is more than just the Master Chief. However, if they offer a split campaign they need to better balance the campaign to not short up the amount of Chief missions. They also need better writing to make the other character interesting like the Arbiter.

I dropped out when they removed co-op from the campaign with Halo 5. Where are we with re-adding that functionality?
You mean splitscreen? Halo 5 supports four player online co-op. Splitscreen is also confirmed for Halo Infinite.

OP
OP
Travless

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
Number 2 is very debatble in the sense that Halo is more than just the Master Chief. However, if they offer a split campaign they need to better balance the campaign to not short up the amount of Chief missions. They also need better writing to make the other character interesting like the Arbiter.
I totally agree with you. The article attached kind of touches on that, but from the point alone I definitely get what your saying. Look at ODST. That alone is proof that other stories in the Halo universe can exist without restricting it a Master Chief story, but it needs to positioned correctly as such (unlike H5 was).

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Number 2 is very debatable in the sense that Halo is more than just the Master Chief. However, if they offer a split campaign they need to better balance the campaign to not short up the amount of Chief missions. They also need better writing to make the other character interesting like the Arbiter.

You mean splitscreen? Halo 5 supports four player online co-op. Splitscreen is also confirmed for Halo Infinite.

Yes- sorry, should have clarified splitscreen. Great news about H:I, then! Thanks!

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree with you. The article attached kind of touches on that, but from the point alone I definitely get what your saying. Look at ODST. That alone is proof that other stories in the Halo universe can exist without restricting it a Master Chief story, but it needs to positioned correctly as such (unlike H5 was).
Halo 5 had potential, but there wasn't really anytime to get to know the characters other than Buck of course. It felt, rushed to say the least.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
1.) Lots of content at launch. Delay the game if you have to. Proper BTB maps, varied arena maps, classic playlist with forge maps if needed, rocket race, griffball, etc.

2.) Better story

3.) Better AI

4.) Gameplay in the campaign needs to offer more freedom.

They said all future games will have split screen. They wanted to put split screen in Halo 5 but the timetable for the game meant they had to focus on other things.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The best Halo campaign doesn't even have the Chief in (until the very end).

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
You're not gonna get all content on launch. The idea behind service games is to get you to keep playing over longer periods of time, preferably dedicating large portions of your life to the grinding/fragging of the game in question, so they keep you invested and potentially buying more microtransactions. No service game will give everything up front. They'll spread it out over months, possibly years of - oftentime "free" - updates, with the hope of drawing you back in time and again.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
1. Cutting edge graphics. (Halo 5 was ugly.)
2. A campaign that isn't terrible.
3. Fix that AI
4. Stop just throwing waves of enemies because it starts to feel like fodder.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I don't think a longer TTK would really work as long as there is sprint. Evading would be too damn easy.

Honestly my biggest issue with Halo 5 was the maps (multiplayer). There were only a couple I really cared for. I thought the gameplay itself was superb and the weapons were exceptionally balanced (and fun)compared to previous Halos.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You're not gonna get all content on launch. The idea behind service games is to get you to keep playing over longer periods of time, preferably dedicating large portions of your life to the grinding/fragging of the game in question, so they keep you invested and potentially buying more microtransactions. No service game will give everything up front. They'll spread it out over months, possibly years of - oftentime "free" - updates, with the hope of drawing you back in time and again.

The amount of content that Halo 5 had at launch was lackluster. I don't see why they can't release a game with all the game modes, a good amount of maps, and Forge and then keep updating the game with more maps and cosmetics. Games have been doing it for years.

All content is a stretch (and will never happen like you said) but a good amount of content should be included.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
All they really need to get me back is a decent campaign - Chief-focused or no; I think the relative lack of the Chief was the least of 5's campaign problems, honestly, so I'm sorta bummed the message they seem to have taken away from the response to it was, 'more Chief!!!' - but if I'm actually gonna spend time in the multiplayer again, they've gotta:

1. Remove REQs, and REQ-based cosmetic progression. Like all lootboxes, they're shit.

2. BTB's gotta be in at launch, and with actual map support.

3. I still don't particularly like Sprint, or every gun having sighted aiming/zoom, so dumping both of those things would be good.

4. The whole, 'this is a virtual training exercise, SPARTAN!' framing for the multiplayer has always been grating for me, so getting rid of that in favour of just, 'hey,
it's the multiplayer in this video game that you're playing, actual person in the real world' would definitely be preferred.

5. At this point we're firmly in the realm of 'nice to have'... But getting to define what my MP character looks like under the helmet with a character creator would be great. Same for body type options.

Obviously, that's mostly just a matter of preference, and the multiplayer's never been the main draw with Halo for me anyway... But yeah, that's what I want, at least off the top of my head.

EDIT:

Oh, and finally, it's gotta be on PC - ideally with a controller-only crossplay multiplayer hopper - 'cause the chances of my actually buying the next Xbox after how much I've just flat out hated my time with the One are basically zero.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
  1. A Concise, Coherent, and Chief-Focused Story
Don't forget writing that isn't dumb. Whoever thought bringing Cortana back to be the big baddie trying to take over the galaxy was not in the right mind. Not to mention have good dialogue and not insert melodrama that goes nowhere.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I just want a good campaign, don't care about the rest. I mean this will have a campaign right...?

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Inb4 10 pages of sprint and clamber discussions. :P

The batshit crazy thing to me is Halo fans really think that like, if 343i just got some combination of thruster/sprint/clamber/bloom/etc mechanics "right" (nevermind that nobody can agree on what "right" is), Halo would be back on top of the FPS world.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Cutting edge graphics.

Halo 5 was ugly.

I think most of the issues were style-related, although keeping 60fps in Xbox One meant there would be serious graphical compromises...but I thought that was one of the best changes 343 has made. Their new engine will probably be meant to scale, so I'm sure it will be able to look really good on better hardware. They need to make enemy animations 60fps though...at a certain distance it would get choppy and look pretty yucky.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They need to increase the TTK AND remove sprint.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Halo will never be on top of the FPS world. I don't think any game can be on top of the FPS world or there even is an FPS world anymore. MOBAs and battle royale games have taken over as the biggest genre right now.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.thexboxhub.com/4-improvements-halo-infinite-can-make-to-resurrect-the-brand/

To me, I feel like these four points cover a large portion of the game's player base (casual, hardcore/old school, single player-only, and competitive) outside of what 343i has already stated would be incorporated into the game.

What does Era think should be changed to improve the Halo series as a whole with Infinite?

I think the avg TTK is fine where it is (~1.2s) It's probably one of the highest in the AAA FPS market. They need to lower the minimum TTK so the game can be more rewarding to more highly skilled players. The lower gun magnetism should keep the avg kill time pretty high, so it should work for less skilled/competitive players as well.

They also need to replace sprint with a higher base movement speed. This would keep the feeling of advanced mobility, but simplify the controls and keep people in gunfights.

The batshit crazy thing to me is Halo fans really think that like, if 343i just got some combination of thruster/sprint/clamber/bloom/etc mechanics "right" (nevermind that nobody can agree on what "right" is), Halo would be back on top of the FPS world.

I feel like this is a strawman retaliatory argument. People tend to think that simpler mechanics will make the game more broadly appealing and help address other balancing concerns. But few believe that these mechanical concerns are the only thing separating Halo from the top of the food chain.

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Count me as No Way In Hell for point 1.

Fast time to kill is better for Halo, and what Makes Halo 1 so good.
If "Advanced movement" is the same as Halo 5, rip. Most of it should be scrapped or reworked, thrust and clamber can work if done appropriately, though.
The aiming in Halo 5 was one of the most unfun aspects about it. Ideally a revert back to Halo 4 or Halo 1 feeling would be best.

They need to increase the TTK AND remove sprint.

1000x this 1000x the good part of this

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer slightly lower ttk in my shooters, but appreciate some may disagree. Agree with everything else on the list though.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Count me as No Way In Hell for point 1.

Fast time to kill is better for Halo, and what Makes Halo 1 so good.
If "Advanced movement" is the same as Halo 5, rip. Most of it should be scrapped or reworked, thrust and clamber can work if done appropriately, though.
The aiming in Halo 5 was one of the most unfun aspects about it. Ideally a revert back to Halo 4 or Halo 1 feeling would be best.

1000x this

Wait first you say fast time to kill is better for Halo and then agree when someone says increase time to kill?

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 mp for me was the best halo multiplayer since Halo 1 so as long as they keep it similar I'll be happy.

Oct 25, 2017
01 - Great Campaign
02 - All content at launch
03 - Good amount of new and old maps, BTB, Arena, Warzone. ( REAL MAPS )
04 - Better TTK
05 - Less Magnetism
06 - Better Damage Area
07 - Refine Spartan Abilities ( Maintain all abilities from 5 and refine them )
08 - Better Customizations
09 - More Assassination Animations
10 - Bring Victory Animation back :P

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting all content at launch. But the minimum requirement for launch content is what Reach had at launch.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am all for all content at launch. But Halo is set at a very high bar regarding content needed for launch compared to other games tho. :)

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I super disagree about the TTK , Halo 5's is perfect.

Yeah I don't care if we get something closer to classic gameplay or something closer to 5 , I love them both.

Sprint doesn't bother me either but I think the best compromise would be to remove sprint but and raise the normal moment speed but keep thrust . The new ADS system is fine though.

1. BTB at launch with non-forge maps.
2. Better cosmetic unlock system. They can have some random gear but most gear should be tied to progression of challenges and stuff like that.
3. Bring the flood back and make them more varied. They're supposed to be back when humanity is ready to be tested, after Cortana is dealt with the will be literally nothing else that could be a threat. The logic plague is really the only way they can make this evil Cortana stuff make any sense and I just don't wanna fight robots for the whole game. It's about time for the flood to show up.
4. MAKE LIGHTING EFFECT SPARTANS.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For starters go back to MC 100% of the campaign, the other protagonist was legitimately the most generic boring video game character I had ever seen

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Increase the base running speed and remove sprint.

^^^

TTK was already solid in Halo 5. It wasn't CE"s 3 shots to the head and they're dead fast but still solid.

They just need to make sure that content that people expect to be there on day 1 is there on day 1.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we have a functioning harpoon on the warthog or some use of the tether for some cool hijinks. I think the warthog needs improved with another function with cool sandbox possibilities. I mean come on, wire to a tree, incoming elites on ghosts. Can I tether to a rock then reverse off the cliff for a better scenic view then rock the physics to swing the warthog across the cliff to reach that hidden skull then wind up back up the cliff only for a glitch to bounce me a mile in the sky seeing that glorious Halo landscape way below.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think all 4 points except for #4 are very debatable. Completely agree with micro-transactions. Fine with cosmetics. Not fine with anything else.

The issue with no aim assist in a fast paced precision console game is the latency. When being able to sprint and boost, lack of aim assist results in shots not registering far more frequently if you have any latency...which people outside of the US have in Halo. Aim assist compensates to allow someone with 100ms latency to register shots.

I want ongoing support. I'd pay for more support in Halo 5. No matter how much content there is at launch, it's always exciting when new things are added later.

We already know they'll focus on Chief for Infinite but I'm down with them expanding the universe at some point. It's weird that one human space cowboy seems to be in the right place at the right time for all the most galactic pivotal moments in the universe.

Halo Infinite needs Region lock or ability to choose servers. That's my #1 ask. #2 would be to have a more open sandbox at minimum on par with Halo CE...but it looks like they're well on their way there.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'd remove sprint and just up everyone's base running speed, honestly. It quickens the pace of the game.