• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 26, 2018
Wait..no one mentioned the Villains?

BRING BACK THE FLOOOOOOOD!!!

The BOSS fights were a disaster in Halo 5. Halo 6 Needs better antagonists like the Flood, Atriox.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Increase the base running speed and remove sprint.
Bingo.

I was thinking if there was some way to convey how quickly you're moving to people who are just used to sprint in games, maybe a sequence in the singleplayer or a cinematic where normal marines are full on sprinting ahead of you and with just a push of the stick you Captain America Black Panther style burst ahead of the pack.

Kill off Cortana permanently.
Yep. Its time to bite the bullet and actually try to write a good story that works on its own lol

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we have a functioning harpoon on the warthog or some use of the tether for some cool hijinks. I think the warthog needs improved with another function with cool sandbox possibilities. I mean come on, wire to a tree, incoming elites on ghosts. Can I tether to a rock then reverse off the cliff for a better scenic view then rock the physics to swing the warthog across the cliff to reach that hidden skull then wind up back up the cliff only for a glitch to bounce me a mile in the sky seeing that glorious Halo landscape way below.
:o

This would be AMAZING! Now throw in a custom game setting to enable Halo 1 Warthog physics and voila - instant success lol.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Halo will never be on top of the FPS world. I don't think any game can be on top of the FPS world or there even is an FPS world anymore. MOBAs and battle royale games have taken over as the biggest genre right now.

It'll be impossible to be the biggest VS shooter today, unless you're multiplatform, but if they offer a strong enough campaign people will take notice, even if it's exclusive to Xbox/PC. Despite multiplayer being extremely important in the Halo series, campaign was what drew people in at first. That's what many of the old reviews were raving about.

They might not be the biggest VS shooter, in fact I'm starting to doubt how much people will notice, even if that aspect of the game is fantastic, due to too much competition in that area, competition that reaches across and attains mindshare from multiple platforms, but there's room to be the king of campaigns.

Not that that isn't difficult..

Dec 9, 2017
Keep sprint. Remove Spartan Charge.
Give me full ammo when I respawn inside a base in Warzone mode. I hate having to run to the REQ station to get that extra ammo.

That's it.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
TTK is perfect as it is for Halo 5.
1. Improve the radar, it was useless in 5
2. Improve the aesthetics. (Why on earth change the ammo counter on the BR to a disgusting yellow?)
3. Make the Promethean not a chore to fight

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Just add Thrust to Halo 3's movement and increase the movement and strafe speed.

No sprint, clamber, hover, etc.

Make Halo 5's pistol look like a rifle and bam, starting weapon.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think microtransactions would be a mistake. They'd just piss people off.

I think bringing back local co-op and multiplayer would be nice. I think a lot of people would enjoy it.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Just make sure to keep Breakout, because that's my shit. Warzone is fun. Iterate on it.

If I see another mother fucking Warden imma snap. They need to take a trip out of Seattle once in a while. Or get really drunk and come up with some cool machine/organic hybrid creatures to fight. Some mix of promethean and flood/covenant.

Oct 25, 2017
If this one comes out and it's like Halo 5 in that it's missing notable core features and game modes of previous games with the promise of adding them later then I won't even consider bothering.
And if they include them but they're half assed bullshit like 5's BTB forge extravaganza then I still won't fuck with it.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only objective thing I can say is that more "casual" in-between maps like Beaver Creek and that one Halo 3 map I hated but everyone played on should come back, it can't be all UNSC Quake maps again.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The batshit crazy thing to me is Halo fans really think that like, if 343i just got some combination of thruster/sprint/clamber/bloom/etc mechanics "right" (nevermind that nobody can agree on what "right" is), Halo would be back on top of the FPS world.

There's no use even talking to those people. We had the same type of people saying Halo 2 ruined Halo and they needed to go back to CE gameplay for Halo 3. And then halo 3 turned out to be Halo 2 except specifically designed to be worse and less fun in every way except for vehicle physics. I still found ways to enjoy it without calling it the death of the franchise despite all that. Same with Reach which was even worse than Halo 3 lol.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Can we have a functioning harpoon on the warthog or some use of the tether for some cool hijinks. I think the warthog needs improved with another function with cool sandbox possibilities. I mean come on, wire to a tree, incoming elites on ghosts. Can I tether to a rock then reverse off the cliff for a better scenic view then rock the physics to swing the warthog across the cliff to reach that hidden skull then wind up back up the cliff only for a glitch to bounce me a mile in the sky seeing that glorious Halo landscape way below.

As goofy as this sounds, I think these sort of emergent gameplay inducing mechanics are welcome.

Give us tools that allow creativity rather that trying to micromanage how we engage.

Oct 25, 2017
Can the secondary characters(and Marine grunts) go back to just being fun?
The series really misses characters like Sgt Johnson, Stacker, etc.
The tone shift has been a major factor in me losing interest.

For me at least

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Projectiles please. All this hitscan has been rubbing me the wrong way because the maps are bigger and the distances of engagement have grown, which cuts down on long range map movement survivability.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I really think Halo could benefit from changing to a Hero shooter format instead of a Arena shooter. It also has the lore to support different abilities and character design so maybe give it a try?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I've only read the reasoning behind point number 1 but I can already tell that this is a well researched and written article, let's break it down point by point.
the fast paced switch resulted in a much lower time to kill, or TTK
Nope. Halo 5's average TTK is actually pretty much on par with the rest of the series, in fact it's perfect TTK is higher than would be ideal. The game with the lowest TTK is actually Halo CE, which is regarded as one of the best in the series.
increased bullet magnetism
Compared to Halo 3? Yes (although that's likely down to the projectile weaponry).

Compared to Halo 2? Nope.

Pair this with weapons dealing less damage
and
By raising weapon damage,
What happened to the argument that the TTK was too low...? Increasing weapon damage certainly won't increase the time to kill.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Projectiles please. All this hitscan has been rubbing me the wrong way because the maps are bigger and the distances of engagement have grown, which cuts down on long range map movement survivability.

Yes!

I really think Halo could benefit from changing to a Hero shooter format instead of a Arena shooter. It also has the lore to support different abilities and character design so maybe give it a try?

Please no. Equal starts is a core tenant of Halo.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Yes!

Please no. Equal starts is a core tenant of Halo.
Yeah but I think its time Halo fans realize that in order for Halo to remain relevant major change is needed.
Personally, i've had the more fun this gen playing Overwatch, R6:S, Black Ops 4, etc then i've had playing Halo in 10 years.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait..no one mentioned the Villains?

BRING BACK THE FLOOOOOOOD!!!

The BOSS fights were a disaster in Halo 5. Halo 6 Needs better antagonists like the Flood, Atriox.

The flood are the single worst enemy type in all of Halo though, well next to the Prometheans anyway. They're just bullet sponges with dumb AI.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I think its time Halo fans realize that in order for Halo to remain relevant major change is needed.
Personally, i've had the more fun this gen playing Overwatch, R6:S, Black Ops 4, etc then i've had playing Halo in 10 years.

Lol. I think its time to realize that relevance is a function of standing out... Not fitting in.

The last time Halo had a major change, we got Halo 4: call of duty and everyone decided to play actual call of duty instead. The exact same thing would happen with Halo: Overwatch edition. People that want that style of play, will play games that are built from the ground up to be played that way.

Halo doesn't need to be like everything else. It needs to be the reason people take a break from everything else.

I'm all for making changes - but it's got to be the right changes... Not shoehorning design philosophy that doesn't natural fit within the game's identity, just because it worked for someone else.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Lol. I think its time to realize that relevance is a function of standing out... Not fitting in.

The last time Halo had a major change, we got Halo 4: call of duty and everyone decided to play actual call of duty instead.
But Halo isn't standing out, it's only stagnating/declining.
There are also multiple successful Hero shooters on the market, so much so that even COD has made the jump to that same format.
Face facts, in order to resurrect the brand, Halo needs major changes, not iterative changes.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
1. There need to knock the campaign out of the park.

2. Better multiplayer maps.

3. Make a Big Team Battle to rival Battlefield.

4. Keep Halo 5's mechanics/movement but take out spartan charge.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Raise ammo capacity across the board
New Promethean enemies
The Flood return
Raise base movement speed (get rid of sprint)
The Pit remake as a launch map

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like the way you think OP. Agree to all, especially 1.

Also, abandon H4/H5 art, that plastic, modular, over engineered look is awful.

I went back to Halo 3 the other day, and the maps are gorgeous. I say this as a huge fan of Halo 5 multiplayer. I love it.

Keep ALL of Halo 5 abilities and increase TTK.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd remove sprint and just up everyone's base running speed, honestly. It quickens the pace of the game.

This is also a great idea, I find it difficult to enjoy halos slow plodding speed from classic games, and I'm indifferent to sprint vs fast running speed.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
But Halo isn't standing out, it's only stagnating/declining.
There are also multiple successful Hero shooters on the market, so much so that even COD has made the jump to that same format.
Face facts, in order to resurrect the brand, Halo needs major changes, not iterative changes.

It's not standing out because its not differentiating.

You said it yourself, there are a bunch of successful hero shooters on the market. So the last thing the market needs is a yet another hero shooter. You don't stand out by becoming yet another clone.

Like I said. Change is welcome. But it has to be changes that bolster halo's unique strengths. Not changes that muddle it's identity and shift it into also-ran territory. That's the kind of change that causes stagnation/decline. That's the kind of change that got us here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The list seems pretty noddy to me...they could have just written:-

1. Make a great Halo game

Seppala

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid they will mess up the multiplayer. It has never been better than in Halo 5.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet CE has projectiles as well as Overwatch. Let's not throw it out just because Halo 3 had netcode issues that made gametypes have different projectile speeds.
And yet people constantly complain about Halo 1's hit detection online. Also, Overwatch is an entirely different game, can't really compare it.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
No, Halo 3 was terrible because of the lack of hitscan combined with it's netcode.

Nah halo 3 was terrible because of its netcode + random shot trajectories.

Hitscan isn't a solution to poor netcode. It's 2019, we gotta stop using p2p networking from 2007 as reason to avoid technical progress.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The reason they use sprint is to make you choose between running fast or shooting. Is it just that people hate having to make that choice?
Would you be OK if they removed sprint but made it so if you're shooting a gun you slow down a lot?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason they use sprint is to make you choose between running fast or shooting. Is it just that people hate having to make that choice?
Would you be OK if they removed sprint but made it so if you're shooting a gun you slow down a lot?
People like sprint because it gives them an actual sense of speed.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got a Bone X back in September and replayed the og trilogy in MCC. I'm now jumping into ODST and it's every bit as good as I remember it. Honestly I like it better than any of the original trilogy of games. The increased FOV alone makes it fee significantly better than 3, which was so claustrophobic. It felt like Chief was running around with cardboard goggles around his eyes.

I remember adoring Reach, so I'm looking forward to digging out my old copy. Hopefully it plays as good on the X as Gears 2 and 3 did. Gears 3 on the X legit looked like it could have been an early gen Bone game with all the bells and whistles they added with backwards compatibility on it.

Not sure what the point of this post is. I'm a bit behind on Halo and never played 5, so I didn't get a chance to experience what people disliked about it yet. I'm still unclear on whether Infinite is an ODST/Reach-style spinoff, or if it's Halo 6, and if it is Halo 6, starring Master Chief, why the hell isn't it called Halo 6? Halo Infinite just sounds like the new streaming and multimedia platform exclusive to Halo.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Why should shooting be tied to slowing down?

The best way to explain why reason I hate sprint is like this:

When I played Halo 2, I could run from point A to point B, while shooting someone at Point C, while checking my flank back at Point A, then chucking a grenade to clear point B- All while moving at top speed the whole time.

When I play H5, If I run from Point A to Point B, I have to look at Point B the whole time. Oh and I can't shoot anyone, check my flank or throw grenades without slowing down and killing my vibe.

Simply put, I find the H2 scenario to be Allow for more dynamic scenarios, and thus more fun. It also also the dev more freedom with map design.

If someone asks me if a want to Shoot people or move fast, my answer will be "why not both?" every time. Why would I want to have half the fun in any given moment?