• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 17, 2018
Who could forget such classic characters from the Gears of War franchise like COG Gear and Deebee?

Halifax_XboxWire_TU1.5_1920x1080.png

It's been just over a month since Gears 5 celebrated its worldwide launch with Xbox Game Pass, and today we're evolving your Gears 5 multiplayer experience with four new characters: the COG Gear, the DeeBee, the Warden and General RAAM, the ruthless Locust military leader. Every character added to Gears 5 will feature powerful multiplayer abilities to master. These new Heroes and Villains are available today and can be earned through gameplay or purchased in the in-game store.

At least RAAM is cool. Just weird that with there are a bunch of classic characters missing and this is what they go with, IMO.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10/16/all-new-heroes-and-villains-are-available-today-in-gears-5/

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Onyx Guard skin will be unlockable via the next Tour of Duty. Pretty neat and hopefully we see some good looking UIR soldier skins as well.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was so excited when I clicked this thread.

On the bright side it just means we still have the OG cast to look forward to.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Slightly related: The grind for this 'Tour of Duty' is insane. I swear it is a full-time job. It being so aggressive, I think I'm done with this game for now.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it really isn't :s

i mean you have 3 months to unlock everything

But the challenges are all over the place (Kill x of enemy type x) and most of them only unlock in the Horde Mode where a match takes like 1/2hrs max. Unless you leave early (which I think gets you banned since recently?) And it can sometimes takes 30 mins before that enemy you need to kill x of shows up.

They should have let you level up the Tour of Duty by just playing, like other games. With the challenges being an additional boost.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But the challenges are all over the place (Kill x of enemy type x) and most of them only unlock in the Horde Mode where a match takes like 1/2hrs max. Unless you leave early (which I think gets you banned since recently?) And it can sometimes takes 30 mins before that enemy you need to kill x of shows up.

They should have let you level up the Tour of Duty by just playing, like other games. With the challenges being an additional boost.

thats why i never do the horde ones, and as i said you have 3 months total, i made it to the first half of the tour by just playing casually the two first weeks.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that these aren't just new skins. They're new playable characters with their own dedicated abilities for Arcade, Horde and Escape.

They're really pushing this idea of 'characters' and 'character skins' as separate things. These are the former.

Boy I hope those are free...

Unlockable by completing challenges in game or can be bought if you can't be bothered to do the challenges.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Was looking forward to the announcement for the first batch of character additions, but overall very disappointed. It's feeling more and more like a F2P game riddled with grind for a paltry selection of unlockables to push you towards the real money purchase offerings.

Issues with this new Character Unlock system:
  • To start earning progress you have to buy the Token for each character
    • Thankfully it uses Scrap instead of Iron, but they said the price might not be that low (100) for future characters
  • You can't progress through the Token requirements for multiple characters at the same time
    • This not only slows it down times the amount of characters, but leaves gaps between equips of wasted progress
  • There is no stat backtracking for the requirements
    • Things you did before don't matter
  • There are still arbitrary restrictions on which modes apply for challenge completion
    • Just like Daily Challenges and Medals nothing is earned in Story, Private Versus or Player Created Escape
      • Some of the requirements (ie: As Swarm) also means you can't do it the VS Bot mode
    • Likewise there are certain scenarios that cause Challenges completed in a match to not count (ie: Quitting instead of dying and quitting)
  • Not all Characters can be used in all modes
    • The trend was expected to continue for Swarm characters not being usable in Horde and Escape, so that's okay
    • None of the previous arbitrary limitations were fixed, and they added more with COG characters that can't be used in all modes
  • Some of the requirements for Characters require you to play specific modes, some of which are modes the unlockable character can't even be used in
    • Making you play a Mode you might not want for a reward you can't even use in said mode is pretty out there
  • Server Issues persist on a regular basis, most notable affecting progression where nothing is counted
    • When progress is not being counted there's no way to know until the Stat screen, including for modes like Horde where it's not unusual to spend 2~3 hours in 1 match
    • In the dozen times this has happened this launch they've only partially managed to occasionally backtrack those lost stats to grant them again
    • Issues even arose with purchases of the Tokens themselves where it would lock again but take your Scrap
      • Somewhat related was the purchase with Iron being unaffected by the fact that you might already have the character (Gilded RAAM)
  • More subjective, but none of the Challenges are actually challenging they're just long and grindy
    • They don't require any special action that requires skill or creativity, it's all just mindless grind meant to take a lot of time so you give up and opt to buy the character straight up with Iron
  • More speculative, but if future Operation Tour of Duty Medal challenge requirements (or just Daily Challenge requirements) ever require you to play any of those locked characters it'll increase the amount of grind per reward
    • If they opt to not use any of these Characters in the challenges then it'll always be the same small batch of characters on rotation, which is very doubtful

On top of all of this is them breaking their promise of all characters being earnable for free, since the new batch of Terminator Characters can only be purchased and aren't included in any previous bundles/game editions. At this point we have 4 different Terminator characters but only 1 returning character from Gears 1~3/Judgment (Marcus, and not even with his Classic look) and still have close to a dozen characters from the Gears 5 campaign missing (not to mention all the ones that were in Gears 4, some of which they ported over directly for specific promotions).

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do know if a challenge is for a particular mode? The game doesn't say.

if it doesnt say a mode in particular, it can be done in any mode.

get 20 kills while being lahni or swarm hunter, it can be done on versus or escape, for example.

shotgun kills can be made on escape, horde, versus