• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about remasters?

• I bloody love them

Votes: 232 68.4%
  • I only like new games, I've already played all these games!

Votes: 38 11.2%
  • I'm indifferent to them, I don't even know why I clicked on this thread

Votes: 69 20.4%

• Total voters

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Love them and I really wish Nintendo would finally remaster the original Xenoblade. It still blows my mind that they had that chance last gen in the lead up to XBX and instead released a downgraded version of it for the 3DS. What was the point of that?

HD remasters of the SD 3D Mario's would also be very welcome (especially the Galaxy games).

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I prefer remastered of pre-HD era games. Give me some HD Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime any day. Spending resources on anything more costly than a basic port job from a previous HD console feels somewhat wasteful to me, although that didn't seem to stop me from buying up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well remasters shouldn't exist if we have proper backward compatibility but remakes I love it . Give me more high end remakes like RE or shadows of colossus or crash

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not against the concept, I just didn't happen to be the target audience. None of the games I would play remastered has been remastered, so I'm indifferent so far.

Oct 25, 2017
I like them. It's nice to have the most complete version of a game with all the DLC and some extra bells and whistles at a usually decent price. Also they're good to have around for the periods where nothing else is coming out.

I don't think they detract from new games being made and infact help generate revenue easily while also giving a new audience a chance to play older games. If I'm not interested in a remaster or it looks like a lazy cheap port I just don't buy it.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I enjoy them as it gives me a chance to play improved versions of games I missed out on the first time (TLoU remastered). Though I have bought remasters of games I already own as well (TR A/LU and Uncharted remasters).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have BC to be honest. Having the games i had playable again with no extra cost beats paying again for the same games with an extra layer of makeup everyday.

I do enjoy remasters that take games from long gone platforms and makes them avaliable to new platforms though. We should be aiming for more of that

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
I love them. I used to have X360 last generation and missed all those nice PS3 exclusives. Playing Uncharted Trilogy, The Last of Us and Gravity Rush (as well as many other games) in 60 fps and HD was an incredible experience. Now give me Resistence, Killzone and Infamous remasters. I want more:)

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
I wish there was more if them. Too many great games are still stuck in the PS2/Cube generation with no way for us to play them except to dig out the old consoles.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DMC & UC collection got some much needed performance boost and gameplay tweaks and I'm thankful they were done, others were just there "for quick bucks" like GOW3 among others.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Completely changed hahah when a company brings back old JRPGS that are kinda expensive stand alone as a complete package or just older games I don't have yet. There always kinda has been remasters so I'm okay with it! I want Oblivion.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Never bought one never will.

Sometime's I'm tempted to play one then I laugh at the price of these things.

The worst was MK Switch. What a fucking waste.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Gaming on XB1 I've been more interested in backward compatibility than remasters, in fact I feel like remasters might be holding back some BC releases ...for instance I do wonder if the potential MW2 remaster is holding back MW2 BC on XB1

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I feel indifferent. Some games I really want remastered have not been remastered or even hinted at .. which sucks.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When done well, remasters bring old games to new audiences, lets fans enjoy them with updated visuals, quality of life features and (sometimes) added features, help prop up the bottom line and fund the development of other remasters and games that are otherwise considered risky, and in some cases prove that dormant franchise still has potential in the current market. Ideally, when done well, remasters can only be good. So I'm for them.

The attitude of "I didn't ask for this, therefore it's a waste" towards remasters, I don't understand. It's self-centered and childish.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
TLOU didn't run poorly on PS3, c'mon.
It's better on PS4 of course, but it was far from a game with technical problems when it originally came out.

Why does it have to be a technical issue? I never played TLOU because I didn't own a PS3, I was a 360 only owner

should I have to go by an old PS3 console just to play some games if studios are willing to port and up-res to the PS4 now that I'm in the Sony ecosystem?

I only got to play god of war 3 and TLOU because they did these remasters, I'm not buying a PS3 in 2017, sorry

Also, did TLOU Remaster and God of War 3 remastered affect TLOU 2 and God of war development? I'm thinking no

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm for them. Some games are timeless in everything but their graphical quality, and therefore deserve to be 'brought up to speed' so that the lack of graphical quality doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of a wonderful game.

There's always someone who hasn't played it, and to them it's new. As such they make great, low-effort fillers for quieter parts of the release schedule (see: Switch).

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't care less about games I have already played especially as the term Remasters means they are not that old and I would have played them very recently. A better resolution update is probably the most superficial and meaningless update I can think of and I honestly have a hard time to understand how so many people can be ok to play again a so recent game with such an inconsequential addition. I value much more added motion controls if they are relevant (RE 4 Wii is probably still the best version) for instance.

If I haven't played the game it's a nice bonus to play the most visually appealing version at least.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Those people would be wrong, actually. The opposite is most likely true.

Or, it's just a way for a developer, who's not currently actually developing anything to make a quick buck. Regardless, there's no stopping the remaster train, so my own feelings on it are irrelevant. For the first year at least though, that almost seemed like the only thing being released, which made the current gen seem pointless.

I'd also be a hypocrite if I said that I'm totally against them at all, because I'm not. Demon's Souls could certainly use a facelift and a frame rate upgrade. However, the game is still perfectly playable without that ever being done. I think my biggest gripe has to do with games that are only a generation old (and barely that), that honestly don't even need a remaster being given one. TLOU for example. Does it look and run better on the PS4 than it did the PS3? Absolutely. Was it needed at the time of release though when almost everyone was still playing on a 1080p screen? Not at all.

When you get the scaling up of games for free on the Xbox one x it makes the need for remasters nil imo. Look at assassins creed, halo 3 etc remarkable. The only reasons for remasters for original Xbox games now is for achievements

People keep saying this, but this is only true if new assets are also added through a patch. Simply upscaling much lower resolution textures doesn't make them look any better. It actually makes the game look a bit worse when you have higher resolution geometry, but the same, low res texture work.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that in most cases remasters don't stop new games from being made.
They're usually either made by smaller teams or outsourced so it's a silly argument.

CheeseCrazee

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who, for the first time, has current generation consoles, I welcome remasters. It allows me to see what I missed out on previously.

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU for example. Does it look and run better on the PS4 than it did the PS3? Absolutely. Was it needed at the time of release though when almost everyone was still playing on a 1080p screen? Not at all.

I'd argue that it was a smart call and needed for the huge influx of 360 players the PS4 just won over at the start of that generation who never played The Last of Us. Not only that but porting that game was probably a good dry run for gaining experience with the new consoles technology. So it was win-win overall.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Remasters are great to flesh out a comapny's release schedule. They are awful when used as headline releases instead of new games with original ideas/assets. This gen has crossed that line a few too many times, but in principle, I'm still not against them.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
It is striking to me how much games from even just last generation can be improved visually in a well-made remaster. I tend to be in favor of them because they give me an excuse to revisit something I enjoyed previously or missed out on with a new "coat of paint" so to speak. Remakes such as the upcoming Shadow of the Colossus are even more welcome.

Of course, shit remakes are still shit remakes, but for the most part I'm happy to hear that a game I either liked previously or wanted to play but didn't get around to is getting a remaster or remake.

Edit: My favorite example is Gravity Rush. It was a game I adored on the Vita and it deserved a second chance on the PS4 with all the extra power that system could throw at it.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love it when great games get even better

Sadly though some of these remasters are lackluster

Dishonored
Darksiders 2

And some of them are straight up shameful

Prototype
Sleeping dogs
Saints row 4

Oct 27, 2017
I love them, though its missing two glaring remakes:

Mass Effect series
Ace Combat series

I also really want to see a Modern Warfare 2 remaster. No other COD has reached the fun I had playing that one.

Mdk7

Oct 27, 2017
Novara, Italy
Why does it have to be a technical issue? I never played TLOU because I didn't own a PS3, I was a 360 only owner

should I have to go by an old PS3 console just to play some games if studios are willing to port and up-res to the PS4 now that I'm in the Sony ecosystem?

I only got to play god of war 3 and TLOU because they did these remasters, I'm not buying a PS3 in 2017, sorry

Also, did TLOU Remaster and God of War 3 remastered affect TLOU 2 and God of war development? I'm thinking no
Regarding those two titles of course not, that's a given.
Considering some others (see for example Darkstalkers, but probably also DmC, just to name the first two that come to my mind...), I do think that they - or better, their performance - had and impact on potential sequels.
And earlier this gen yes, I frankly do think that publishers tread carefully with remasters and their seemingly easy cash-ins instead of investing in newer and riskier projects.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure that in most cases remasters don't stop new games from being made.
They're usually either made by smaller teams or outsourced so it's a silly argument.
That certainly diverts some development ressources from making more new games. Seeing Monster Games making ports for the 3DS instead of releasing new great racing titles was certainly painful. Sure they are now back on releasing brand new games but they certainly would have done that earlier if they didn't have to work on those ports.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a big fan of them, even one's I'm not interested in.

1. They give people who missed them in the past a chance to play them without needing old hardware and have the benefit of more people trying them as they don't look as dated.

2. I like replaying games I loved with a modern touch of paint.

3. For all the complaining about how bad we are at preserving games, this is one way to do it. Though I get some would prefer the original art (or for it to at least be included as an option like some remakes do).

4. They're not taking away from major new games as it's usually small, lesser experienced side teams.

5. It's a way for younger teams and individuals to get valuable experience and take what they learned and use those skills to make their own games down the road.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say keep em coming. I loved FFXII and I'm hoping for ME remaster or Tales of Vesperia one.

FinalSeven

Oct 27, 2017
I think remasters are great. I would prefer them to add new things if possible, but sometimes just having a better running version of an older game isn't such a bad thing. I never owned a 360, so I never played Dead Rising. Got the PS4 remaster, and it's now one of my favorite games. I even got the platinum for it. I say keep them coming!

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like them. The FFX/X-2 and XII and KH remasters have been great since they include content we never got to experience in the first place. BC is cool but if a game had dlc, you're expected to pay for it all again whereas a remaster usually will just include it all in. It's one of the reasons why I wished EA would stop fucking around and remaster the ME trilogy.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
3. For all the complaining about how bad we are at preserving games, this is one way to do it. Though I get some would prefer the original art (or for it to at least be included as an option like some remakes do).

Sorry but arguments like this are hard to swallow when the HD collection for Silent Hill exists, a .... thing... so atrocious that even stained the reputation of the original games, two of the biggests games of all time.

That was what the new generation could see "preserved" and now they will never understand why the hell people like it. If that's how some of these preservation efforts can go, then maybe some things do deserve to get lost in history instead

Though to be completely fair i absolutely believe its humanly impossible to do something more criminal than the HD collection, so at least it can't get worse than that?

hivycox

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with them but I wish they would wait a generation. It is no problem to pick up the old games and play them on old hardware which is being sold now at retailers even after several years. It just seems like a cash grab from the company.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought of them as something positive. (although bloody love them probably too strong).
But the way I see it, it's a nice choice to have and incentivizes people to try something new that missed the train originally.
So while I generally won't be interested in remasters of games I already played unless they add something substantial to them I've jumped into several games that I never played before due to remasters.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
I have no problem with them but I wish they would wait a generation. It is no problem to pick up the old games and play them on old hardware which is being sold now at retailers even after several years. It just seems like a cash grab from the company.

Yeah no thanks. I'm not interested in buying old hardware, having old controllers lying around and extra cabling just to play some older games

Bring on the remasters I say.if you don't want them, keep your old system, but we should have choices

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad of them.

So many games that looked and/or ran like shit last gen have had a new lease of life breathed into them with the updates we've seen in the (good) remasters this gen.

I know I had to play a bit of Last of Us on PS3 a few weeks ago and there's really no going back once you've played the PS4 version for any length of time.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather have Backwards Compatibility on consoles.

Although the release of some remasters on the 2013 console twins has spawned PC ports of games that didn't get the original so some good has come out of them.