• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about remasters?

• I bloody love them

Votes: 232 68.4%
  • I only like new games, I've already played all these games!

Votes: 38 11.2%
  • I'm indifferent to them, I don't even know why I clicked on this thread

Votes: 69 20.4%

• Total voters

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I generally like them, but I do not like that a lot is lost in the translation so to speak. ICO and SoTC for example have different color palettes and some of the effects are toned down (even if technically more correct). With those I would have loved the 'pure', original graphics in higher res, but with the option of course (by default) to switch to the newer graphics.

The Last of Us 60fps was wasted on my to be honest. The animations and everything were captured and hard keyframed at 30 in the original, so to me the 60fps version looked worse with regards to animation.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry but arguments like this are hard to swallow when the HD collection for Silent Hill exists, a .... thing... so atrocious that even stained the reputation of the original games, two of the biggests games of all time.

That was what the new generation could see "preserved" and now they will never understand why the hell people like it. If that's how some of these preservation efforts can go, then maybe some things do deserve to get lost in history instead

Though to be completely fair i absolutely believe its humanly impossible to do something more criminal than the HD collection, so at least it can't get worse than that?

I mean of course they can be done poorly. And I said in my post that they should ideally include an option to play with the original graphics as then even if the remaster is bad at least the game is preserved that way.

But to me, remakes are needed if younger generations are going to play games. Hell, I've been gaming since Atari (really got into it with NES) and I have a hard time playing most 8bit or older games or those ugly ass early 3D games on N64/PS1. Non HD games in general are rough if you aren't willing/able to have a CRT TV around for them.

Providing an option to replay them in HD with or without remastered/remade graphics is a way to make them relevant to younger generations and to get more people to try them. I do, again, think they should include the original art though, just upscaled to look decent on modern TVs (ala the toggle modes in games like Halo Anniversary). That makes it more akin to classic films getting touched up and remastered into HD without any changes vs. things like the Star Wars special editions or the terrible colorization of black and white films etc. Just give people options in how they want to play old games or watch old films etc.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
I actually need more remasters.

Expected much more going into this gen but it isnt as bad as i thought.

They are good for between big new game releases.

Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really care about them since I pretty much have played all of them last-gen. They only remaster the popular ones anyway. Maybe Valkyria Chronicles but even that, I played (and stopped at chapter 7).

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I like remasters because if you didn't have a chance to play the original you get to experience it in the modern game generation. Sometimes they don't turn out so well (SH 1 / 2 Remasters were awful) but in general I've been having fun playing things I never got to try.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I get preferring backwards compatibility to remasters but I think they can coexist. Especially since some games may never get things like 60 fps otherwise.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have remasters than BC honestly.
why, if i may ask, exactly?
unless you just really enjoy paying for things you already own again.
dead space BC more than satiated my will of replaying the series, had a great time with zero expense. wouldn't buy a remaster, honestly (specially not from DS3)

reminder that remakes are different from remasters. good remakes, then maybe we agree on

Deleted member 8696

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chile
Since I've been gaming on PC for years, it still feels pretty weird having re-releases of the same game for me.
But I can see why they're so great for some people, so it's cool.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Big fan.

I like old games being updated.

The thing is, you don't have to buy then, but it lets people experience or reexperience great games.

GTAV is one of the best selling titles on PS4 and XB1. It's a remaster.

SGTLoke

Oct 31, 2017
North Carolina
I am in the I love them camp, if they are done right. Being able to load up DMC4 or RE4 is awesome, especially since I do not have my PS3 anymore. Backwards compatibility is great, but alot of those games do not hold up, at least to me and I like to play better looking games on my newer console. That said, I really only buy the ones for games that I really enjoy.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
I dont really care about remasters, i havent bought a single one because i like to experience new games. Same thing when im travelling, i like to go to places i've never been before

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 0 of them so far, but I'm eyeing a couple of them when they get cheaper. Overall, I'm fine with them. As long as there's a demand, I don't see why publishers wouldn't try to meet it.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. I like my games to be automatically remastered when buying a new system, like on PC or Xbox One X, where old games can run at better settings, more consistent framerates or similar.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I bought a PS4 for The Last of Us remastered, I don't enjoy 30fps anywhere near as much as 60fps and I know I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I had played it on PS3. So I'm all for them if they enhance the frame rate.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan.

It makes me feel like I'm part of an industry that keeps feeding consumers the same shit over and over again in some sort of fucked up cycle to win time to figure out how to effectively wrench even more money out of people in the next cycle. While people are happily quadruple dipping on Skyrim ugh.

Remasters aren't the right way for game preservation imo because it would mean buying the same games for all eternity.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fan.

It makes me feel like I'm part of an industry that keeps feeding consumers the same shit over and over again in some sort of fucked up cycle to win time to figure out how to effectively wrench even more money out of people in the next cycle. While people are happily quadruple dipping on Skyrim ugh.

Remasters aren't the right way for game preservation imo because it would mean buying the same games for all eternity.

Let's be fair, Skyrim is kinda.... special in that front. No one else can get away selling the same game so many times, not even Bethesda with other titles from their catalog

Oct 27, 2017
I love remasters as it's a chance to revisit games I might have missed, or those I want to replay again. It always amuses me when people get really worked up about them, as they hardly ever take resources that would go towards new game development instead.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Keep 'em coming. It's proven that lots of people have missed out on past generations, and being able to play them on current hardware -- assuming they are handled with care and aren't just rush jobs/cash-grabs -- is pretty much a win for everyone. If you're happy with the old version, don't buy the new one. For everyone else, it's an opportunity to experience what is hopefully a classic. :)

philstorm95

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huge fan, they are a great way to not let games die and be forgotten in the past.
Where is my Silent hill 2,3,4 on ps4 konami?
Or dmc 1,2,3 capcom?

SGTLoke

Oct 31, 2017
North Carolina
dead space BC more than satiated my will of replaying the series, had a great time with zero expense. wouldn't buy a remaster, honestly (specially not from DS3)

reminder that remakes are different from remasters. good remakes, then maybe we agree on

As someone who used gamefly almost exclusively through the PS3 era, a lot of those games I have never owned, others have been traded in when my gaming habit begins to clutter my life. So, occasionally i do not mind spending money on something I already own, especially if it looks better and I enjoy it. I would totally buy remasters of DS1 and 2, but the dumpster fire of 3 can jump off a bridge.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
I absolutely loved what they did with Crash and would squeal with joy if Sony announce a Spyro remaster.

I never played GTA or Last Of Us on PS3 and also loved getting to play those on PS4, but I suppose those were more like ports. As someone who skipped the Wii U I hope to see the greatest hits from that system ported to the Switch aswell.

Oct 27, 2017
I love Remasters for several reasons:

1. They give older games a facelift and improve them technically (for the most part);
2. They allow me to play old games on a newer console with the controller I prefer to use;
3. They give people who missed out on them first time around the chance to play them;
4. They stir up interest in a franchise and make sequels more likely (think RE2 remake);
5. They give games which may have been smaller/ niche a second chance on the newer consoles;
6. They provide an important source of income for developers with minimal time/money cost to them (ensuring that studios stay viable);
7. They give certain studios a source of work and let them gain experience in preparation to tackle their own creative projects.

I cant think of any negatives to be honest.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a good place to be to be able to play as many games as possible, New and old on current hardware. Whether it's through remasters or VC or BC.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Games from the seventh generation? No thanks.
Games from the sixth generation and prior? Sure okay.

Projects like Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and the Crash trilogy were welcome because they cleaned up and improved games that really needed the work.

Remastering games from last generation that already ran in high definition? Yeah no, spend your time on better things, developers.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I like some remasters, mostly the Sony exclusive remasters and remakes. A lot of us like to play an old classic game from time to time, so getting to play them but with better graphics and performance is always a bonus.

chaos_planes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have BC, ideally with enhanced resolutions (so, PC). Waiting around for a remaster, which will never happen for the vast majority of games, doesn't sound fun.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love them and wish there were more.

I often replay my favourite games so to be able to do so with extra polish/features is a no brainer.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Indifferent. Some are good, some are terrible. And until I know if it is good or not, I don't care about it.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Nostalgia is my best ingridient for an awesome game. Hence getting that remaster threat to a game I love is so good. Im more interested in that instead of new games :0

Currently playing might and magic vii which was my first rpg some 18 years ago and I like it more than TW3....just because of that nostalgia :p so keep bring them remasters!

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

For me I buy the vast majority of things physically and sell after beating anyway. Too good a deal with 20% off with GCU and flipping after beating/abandoning.

That said, I agree with your latter point. If I'm going to replay something it's usually years down the road and graphics have improved so much that it needs a remake rather than a remaster. I think the only pure remaster I've bought was TLOU. That was my favorite game last generation as I was itching for a new play through with even better graphics and 60FPS.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of paying full price for games that were on the last gen consoles again. I would rather have BC in those cases.

Now PS2/OG Xbox era I'm more ok with. That's the sliding scale I use now for remakes/remasters.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Remasters are good! It's good to keep stuff playable on the latest platforms and to give new generations a chance to play them conveniently, and sometimes it's just a nice excuse to revisit an old favorite.

Oct 25, 2017
Totally fine with them, always have been, even if they're only from last gen. It's just another way to keep classic games people want to be able to play on current systems in circulation. Never subscribed to the idea that it takes resources away from new games etc either. Basically, keep em coming. More options to play games is good.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have bought one remaster, FFX on Steam. The next one I'm considering purchasing would be FFXII. They're pretty essential as technology advances and leaves some games in the dust, but they can also be done too soon. For example, I have no desire to purchase the Last of Us Remaster, as it works great on a PS3 and happened far too soon after the game's release. Hopefully the medium can find a happy median

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It honestly depends on the games we're talking about. It if helps to preserve the game as how it was while updating graphics and improving on the performance, then I'm all for them (like the Ratchet games that got remastered). Otherwise, if they try and "remaster" a game and try and change full aspects of it like "remastered OSTs" that somehow don't sound as good as the original, then those are ones I tend to avoid. Overall though, I'd say that remasters are welcomed when done right (which more times than naught, they usually are).

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My remaster wish list:
Xenogears (the most deserving)
Mass Effect 1
Diablo 2

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
There's really no reason to be against remasters, at least well made ones.

1) they rarely take (much) resources away from the development of sequels or completely new games (if anything, they are an additional source of revenue and as such can help increase spenditure on game development if/when successful).
2) Lots of them are outsourced to and developed/remastered by small companies specifically focused on these kinds of things. It's not like Naughty Dog's next game took 1-2 years longer because the Uncharted remasters exist.
3) sometimes making remasters is advantageous for other development in some ways. IIRC, Naughty Dog used Last of Us PS4 Remaster as a way to learn/get accustomed to PS4 hardware. Square Enix/Osaka Team developed the KH remasters themselves as a way to learn more modern development practices on HD platforms (since up until 2012 3DS was the most powerful hardware many of them had worked on) & getting new team members up to speed with the whole franchise as KHIII's development was gearing up
4) they introduce a lot of good & even great games to people who weren't around, had the "wrong" platform(s) or simply didn't get around to buying stuff the first time for other reasons.
5) in addition to higher resolution, they can polish out some bugs and hardware restricted stuff (i.e. 30fps/slow down -> 60fps/less or no slowdown) and even add some QOL gameplay features (like camera control on the right stick in Kingdom Hearts 1).

among other things.

Oct 25, 2017
Give me more!

Remasters I would like to see the most right now:

Demons Souls
Mario Galaxy / Mario Galaxy 2
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
In the same way with movies it pisses me off they are remaking relatively new games instead of older games that really need it. But I can't complain. I've sold the older version to get the remaster and I see that some studios being tasked to do the remasters could get great experience and later grow up to do their own thing.

In the past back in the PS3 era, especially with Final Fantasy, I thought SE should've made a few remasters of those games like FFVIII so that they could get a grasp in developing games for newer gens. I have always thought that after FF IX all of the mainline games suck in the sense of scale. you went from games having full worlds and villages to more like hubs and areas. I always thought if they worked on remastering 7 in PS3 they could learn how to translate a game of that huge scale to the new gen. They did not and it seems they have mostly failed. I liked 15 a lot but the sense of scale and story was missing.

So I like remasters I just wish they would go further back to early PS3, PS2 and PS1 to remaster instead of remastering games that came out less than 2 years ago.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like remasters. Sometimes having a remaster available can help prevent you from having to buy the original system just to play that particular game.