• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
I just turned 39 yesterday, so not quite at the age you're asking about. But I will say I dont care for portable gaming. Last portable dedicated gaming device I bought was a GBA-SP.
Ive played portable games like Angry Birds on my phone, kindles, and android tablets on occasion, just to see what its like.

It just doesnt do it for me. I like the finer things in life... big screens and big sounds.

faerith

Oct 25, 2017
Well, since some nearly 29++ ( ;) ) are posting... I'm nearsighted since childhood, I still play on handhelds, but I actually have to put my glasses off, because while I can see everything fine it feels as if I'm straining my eyes.
I went to an eye doc last year, but supposedly my eyes are still the same as ever? o_Ô

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I just can't stand playing games on a small screen. Which is why I don't even mess with my phone much outside of talking and the occasional text.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I had a PSP back in my "yewt", and purchased the Switch originally for portable gaming around the house, but find myself using it far more in docked mode as it is somewhat uncomfortable to hold. As far as vision issues, I'm near-sighted, so if I feel eye strain or fatigue, I just take off my glasses, or when wearing contacts, throw on a mild pair of cheaters. Sitting in front of a computer all day and then trying to relax in front of yet another screen definitely takes its toll as you get older.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't you just leave it docked? Or are you just thinking of a more elegant solution that's basically just a box like a typical console that won't be quite as fragile?
Yes, I could absolutely do this and probably will at some point. It's not even the fragility as it would go under the TV and never got moved again.

I'm just making the (probably mistaken) assumption that a TV only version would be cheaper, have more storage and maybe come with a pro controller. There's only a handful of first party I'd want to play, and it's a big outlay to buy all that here in Canada.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I have done in the past (and into my 40's) but not for a couple of years now. I tend to use my spare time out of the house now for reading or Netflix (mostly reading).

Have been very tempted to pick up a Switch, but a new TV is first on the list.

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
I used to play portables, but over time I find myself using them less and less (have zero games on my phone as well). I drive to work and go for walks on my breaks (desk job), so I have no obvious chances for portable gaming. If the TV is occupied at home and I really need to game, I just plug my system into my PC monitor.

Handhelds aren't my thing anymore.

Plasmids

Oct 28, 2017
I'm nearly 43 and have had glasses now for 2 years for reading and gaming etc.

Was thinking about picking up a switch myself actually. But I'm not going to lie I do find wearing glasses annoying especially if you have headphones on.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Will be 49 in exactly one week. Don't do any portable gaming at all. Don't really like consoles either even though I have a PS4 that my kids use more than I do.

I'm still a hardcore PC gamer though. Love playing RPGs, 4x and FPS on my high end rig with big ass monitors.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Nope..not at all and I have a Switch. I don't commute to work and when I am home if I am going to game it is going to be on my OLED with a console or my Gaming Rig. Use to use portables since they were handy, but really have no desire any more. For me it would be odd to be looking at a little screen when I can play on the big screen. I am a bit more senior-era at 50 so maybe age has a bit to do with it as well. That and time as you get older seems to be a premium and if I am going to game, I am going to use it on a good display with a good audio system.

daCuk

Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
While I still do not require glasses to play, it is a good idea to use them so my 44-year old eyes do not get tired that much

I started playing portables in 1989 with the glorious Game Boy and haven't stopped yet

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Not much of a fan, but I do have a 3DS I play with sometimes. Usually in bed before falling asleep.

When I get a Switch it will be connected to the TV all the time like it was a regular console.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I love my Vita but yes, I do get eye strain now easily when using it. I'm not far sighted yet anyways (my eye doctor says if you are nearsighted many times it takes longer to get far sighted).

Oct 27, 2017
I use my Switch and 3DS regularly, at home and at work.

If you want to play and need glasses, you should get the glasses. I'm 41 and have no plan on stopping anytime soon. I'll do what I can to continue playing.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My 53 YO Uncle just bought a New3DSXL this year. He still has to use glasses to see the screen well enough, though.

However, he even has to use glasses for his Galaxy S8. And seen as how he uses that thing all the time, I guess having to use glasses for a portable game system doesn't feel like a real roadblock. With that said, his complaints are more to do with ergonomics than the screen size.

Yeah when vision starts to go it's just a matter of how much you like doing various things that impacts whether you're willing to hassle with reading glasses (or bifocals/split contacts for people we were near sighted before).

Portable gaming was never really my bag as I said before, so I wouldn't bother. I already find myself not reading things only in print and sticking with eBooks where I can just bump font size. Though to be fair I've hated reading paper books since I first got a Kindle as the ergonomics are so much better.

I also mostly wear glasses rather than contacts these days (dry eye issues, eye allergy issues certain times of the year, and I really don't want to deal with bifocals so I doubt any of those habits will change.

Seventh

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I play them behind the bar at work these days when it's dead,and there's nothing else to do. Other than that I rarely get the time to play anything.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I was never a fan of portable gaming, but due a recent lifestyle change, portable gaming fits the bill. Obviously I'm looking into getting a Switch. Thing is, since a few months I am having problems with my vision when it comes to reading or looking at objects which are a few inches away from my nose (I'm turning 43 soon). I guess time is ripe for me to get my eyes checked, and most probably will end up with a second set of glasses (I already have one for long distance).

So, mature Resetters, how do you deal with portable gaming? Do you use reading glasses? Or you gave up on portable? Should I invest in a set of glasses with progressive lenses? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!
41 here. I'm using progressive lenses glasses, takes care of both short ranges and longer ranges depending on where on the glasses you look. It took maybe 3-4 weeks to get used to them but now I don't even think about it. No issue with portables or regular consoles.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Approaching 40 fairly shortly, always had portables, Game and Watches, GB GBA, DS, PSP, buuuut... the 3DS didn't do anything for me, I remember going to the midnight launch with my friends, having a play and just thinking "nah, not this time". I bought a Vita a couple of years later, I wasn't really sure why. But it's come into it's own as a remote play device which enables me to join the rest of the family in being "sociable", meaning I can sit in the same room as them in complete silence while the tv is on and we all stare into our own little screens.

I bought a Switch too, but so far I played Zelda on it a lot until completion, but haven't touched it much since. Mario is in the post though so that might change next week.

Only eyesight issue I ever get is a slightly dewy right eye after staring at the screen for so long. When that comes in, it's time to take a break.

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue as I grow older is motion sickness. I can't play 30 fps shooters/open world games any more, period, which is really difficult on the console gaming PS4 side. I wind up missing a lot of great console exclusives. :(

bladeshimmer

Oct 25, 2017
Have a Vita, 3DSXL, and will be picking up a Switch later today. That said, I never have enough time for handhelds.

My portable gaming is consumed by Pokemon Go on mobile.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
48 here, playing Zelda, Mario odissey and Mario kart 8 alone and with my son.

Sometimes portable, sometimes docked, sometimes tabletop mode.

Using glasses when playing on the switch screen, started using them a couple of years ago, not a great problem to be honest.

Oct 28, 2017
40 in a couple of months.. Yep still use my psp, vita and 3ds. I mainly use my 8' tablet to remote play on the ps4 (with a ds4 and bodged holder I made) so I can game while my wife watches whatever medical drama she's currently into.
Kinda wish the vita had more buttons for remote play (have an original and trigger grip is really expensive if you can find one) but I find the connection better with the tablet anyway. A shame as I love the vita and remote play but it's not practical on a lot of games.
I love the pick up and play aspect as I barely get any gaming time these days on the tv.

SirVilhelm

Oct 27, 2017
35 so not quite at your demographic but I'll be there soon. I used to play on the original Gameboy on long car rides with the family or during summer camp.

Now with a full time gig, wife and three year old my game time is super limited and that is reserved for the big screen. I will say though that the new Zelda is super tempting.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never owned a portable, but might be getting a Switch next year due to a couple of my younger friends wanting to get me into Pokemon.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
In my 40s, have a Vita. I've been near-sighted nearly my whole life, so I've always worn glasses, but with age, some astigmatism is kicking in, and I'm noticing that smaller print, I need to pull back for it to come into focus properly, but so far this hasn't affected my gaming. I don't play my Vita as often now, since I'm no longer regularly commuting, but when I did, was a maniac for games like Freedom Wars.

akalongman

Oct 28, 2017
I hit the milestone on my last visit to the optician of having to ask for bi-focals :(

I played the hell out of my PSP over the years and updated to a Vita a few years back. I find that I play with my specs on if I'm out and about, such as on a train or in a waiting room. If I'm stationary for any period, such as a hotel room or in bed then I tend to take my glasses off and just hold the machine that bit closer to find the sweet spot in which I can focus. The Vita comes in handy when the rest of the family have grabbed all the TVs/PCs in the house!

Saying that my eldest daughter has a Switch and I find the slightly larger screen easier to see in handheld mode than the Vita, that slight extra few mm of screen space makes a big difference.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I own a 3DS, vita, and switch and just don't enjoy the cramped feeling with portable gaming. I have in the past done stuff like hook up a DS3 to the vita or have a switch pro for my switch but find the small screen not enjoyable compared to a big 65" OLED TV. If I'm bored when outside/traveling/etc I just find it more enjoyable to listen to podcasts or browse reddit on my phone rather than try to game.

The only huge difference I notice in my late 40s compared to early gaming is reaction times sometimes, I don't have huge problems with FPS games (Destiny 2, UC4, Battlefront, Titanfall 2, etc are stuff I play weekly) but quicktime events take longer for me to go between "brain process what you see on screen, figure out which button to press, press button quickly". Been playing South Park 2 the past week and I notice I'm much worse at getting the QTE reactions right than when I played the first game a few years ago, but still seem to be doing ok and its not that big a deal missing it in SP.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest issue as I grow older is motion sickness. I can't play 30 fps shooters/open world games any more, period, which is really difficult on the console gaming PS4 side. I wind up missing a lot of great console exclusives. :(
Oh is that an age thing?? I've had issues with motion sickness in first person shooters for a long time, unless they're 60fps or above. Interesting to hear someone with the same problem!
Open world games are fine for me though, I think my problem is low fps and first person camera sway, can't run in Skyrim or Gears for example but walking and sneaking is fine.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I have not hit that magical age bracket yet but my two aunts and my uncle who are into their fifties still portable game. I still have memories of them playing game boy and the tradition continues.

Edit: It is still embarrassing that they clear out Pokémon games faster than I do.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm 45 years old, and I love portable video game systems. I've been a fan since getting the Lynx and Game Boy systems back in 1990 (when I was just 18). Before that, I also had some fun with dedicated LED/LCD electronic games.

My current portable gaming systems of choice are my PS Vita, New 3DS, Samsung Galaxy S6 (Android phone), and Fire HD 8 tablet (also running a variant of Android)--generally in that order. I've also got a lot of other older machines that I trot out occasionally. I don't have a Switch yet, but I'd like to get one soon.

I was never a fan of portable gaming, but due a recent lifestyle change, portable gaming fits the bill. Obviously I'm looking into getting a Switch. Thing is, since a few months I am having problems with my vision when it comes to reading or looking at objects which are a few inches away from my nose (I'm turning 43 soon). I guess time is ripe for me to get my eyes checked, and most probably will end up with a second set of glasses (I already have one for long distance).

So, mature Resetters, how do you deal with portable gaming? Do you use reading glasses? Or you gave up on portable? Should I invest in a set of glasses with progressive lenses? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

The timing of this thread is somewhat ironic for me. I've gone through my entire life so far without needing eyeglasses or contact lenses or anything like that. However, I've noticed that my close-up vision has been gradually deteriorating (slightly) over the last two years, due to presbyopia. After visiting the eye doctor last week, I've finally decided it's time to get glasses (just for close-up reading--my vision is otherwise excellent). I should be receiving my first set of glasses in the next few days.

As far as my enjoyment of portable gaming is concerned, it hasn't been much of a problem. Small high-contrast text can become blurry if I hold the machine too close to my face, and sometimes I have difficulty discerning fine details on small objects. This tends to worsen if I play late at night (when I'm getting tired). When I get my new glasses, I'll see if these situations improve.

I don't have any problems if I'm playing midday in good lighting, and the system is held 12-18 inches from my face. I would say those are good guidelines: play in good lighting if possible, with the system at a comfortable distance, and when you're not too tired.

Lemming_JRS

Oct 27, 2017
On the cusp of 47 here - I had both the PSP and the Vita back in their heyday, but increased responsibilities at work and home (i.e. kid) meant I don't have nearly as much time for them as I used to. Not having a commute on a bus/train doesn't help either. That said, I purchased a Switch back in August and I'd say I play it in portable mode about 75% of the time (it's been fantastic for a few plane trips).

Of course, back in my day, I played tons of portables:
340_7089_1481488309468_Bandai_Super_Galaxy_Invader___Super_Mi.jpg

firstadopter

Oct 25, 2017
Oh is that an age thing?? I've had issues with motion sickness in first person shooters for a long time, unless they're 60fps or above. Interesting to hear someone with the same problem!
Open world games are fine for me though, I think my problem is low fps and first person camera sway, can't run in Skyrim or Gears for example but walking and sneaking is fine.

Yes, for me at least. I didn't have any motion sickness issues when I was younger. It is getting progressively worse as the decades go by.

Another issue is I have is it's hard for me to play keyboard and mouse anymore. Getting wrist pains. So its primarily controller based games for me, which is difficult because they are mainly on the console, which have a lot of 30fps games (motion sickness issue!).

ahktang

Oct 28, 2017
Bellevue, wa
Over 40, and I don't play portable games beyond a few on my phone occasionally. My wife has a 3dsXL and she uses reading glasses without too many issues. The switch has a nice screen but I imagine the text is a lot smaller than on a 3ds.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Ok, I shouldn't really comment for a year but for now, no eye issues. Guess I'm luckier than the rest of my family as they all struggle. My bro is 10 years older than me and needs accessibility on his phone.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
Get a pair of prescription reading glasses. Problem solved. You can use the over the counter readers if you can find the correct strength. I don't have much of a problem with the Switch, but still wear glasses to help clarity. They are a must for my 3DS. I have a pair of glasses with multi focus lenses for when I want to use a portable device and watch TV at the same time.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I've never had a portable and I don't plan on starting now. Just not my thing.

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
49 here,

I play Switch and Vita with a bit of 3DS. My wife an I are planning a long train ride and Cruise, so I am holding out on Mario until we leave in December. My vision is still ok, but I know the time for glasses is coming.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
I always looked on in envy when classmates had those various one-game handhelds, like the Tonytronics or Game & Watch, but never had one. My first handheld was a Game Boy Pocket, which other than for playing Tetris, I found to be a blurry mess. GBA was the first time I owned a handheld that I loved, and handhelds have been a part of my gaming ever since.

It's only in the past 5-6 years where I've been getting the train to work that I've taken my portables out with me. Previously, they'd only leave the house to come on holiday with me.

My n3DS is still a regular companion on my commute. Vita has seen its best days pass a while ago, and rarely gets used. I play the Switch mostly as a console, but my two boys would happily only every play it as a handheld.

Wummle

Oct 27, 2017
46 here i love portable gaming can't always get access to the tv so it fits perfectly with my lifestyle though since getting my switch find it hard to go back to the small screen of the 3DS

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Portable gaming is not something I've ever really got into. Even when I used my PSP it was just at home. On public transport I prefered to read a book, listen to audiobooks and podcasts.

I prefer a big screen. But it's also perhaps the nature of games I enjoy, the likes of Forza aren't really portable experiences.

j0hnniX

Oct 25, 2017
GA
close to 40,(36), I got a switch and it does help me not have to be stuck to one location and multi task .. with me working from home just need t bring the switch over to office and im playing while on a conference. of course the switch has some great games.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
In my fifties here. I've always had both portables and consoles—both before and after getting progressive lenses and contacts. I'm digging my Switch . . . and I tend to play it in handheld mode more than docked. In truth, I have more problems holding it in my oversized hands than seeing it with my geriatric eyes.

OP
OP
TheDeep1974

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I love portable games, but not actually playing them on portable devices. For example, I would have to play 3DS games such as Story of Seasons, Animal Crossing, Etrian Odyssey and many others, but never did because as they never came out on home consoles. With the Switch it means that all these games will come to it, because it is essentially a hand held, but I can still enjoy them on the TV screen as the Switch can be connected to one. In other words, everyone wins!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
44 here. I always have played portables grudgingly. Every device that allows me to play portables on TV - Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player, PSP TV out, Vita TV, etc - I've enthusiasically bought and used.

That hasn't changed as I've aged. In fact, it's gone the other direction, because I now have 4 TVs. I never used the off-TV on the Wii U, and almost never undock the Switch. Small screen gaming, in my view, ranks only slightly above nothing.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Living in a city where I drive everywhere, don't really have the need to play games on the go.