• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
42 years old, rarely play on a portable despite owning a Vita and a Switch. Prefer to play the Switch in docked mode. Nothing to do with eye sight tho, more that I prefer to use a controller.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I've gone through phases with portables, but they're mostly for killing time in airports, which might only happen a handful of times a year. Still, the NY Times Crosswords for the DS is the one of the best portable games ever. And, weirdly, I've been unable to find a better portable crossword game since then.

Also, my Vita is the only way I can play Ultimate Ghouls N' Ghosts, so that thing is never getting packed away.

Suavesteve

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 42 and had to get glasses for looking at small fonts maybe around 5 inches from my face. With glasses, I never realized how beautiful the Vita screen was.

Corto

Oct 29, 2017
41 and right after my son was born until 2-3 years ago Vita was my gaming companion and my de facto gaming platform. Now as my son started playing more and more PS4 I'm also playing more and more of the PS4. I almost stopped playing iPhone games. Don't want to kill battery life and stopped following the games releases.

Tbalt

Oct 27, 2017
Sugar Hill, GA
Nope, my situation has never been one where a portable would have been beneficial, that is, I rarely have situations where I want to game but don't have access to my console. When I travel, I do take my vita, but even then I don't find much time to play...vacations for me are not just vacations to get away from work.

My Vita was my first portable, and I play it on rare occassion. I don't even game much on my phone. I've sparingly played a couple of mobile apps for my console games (such as the Knack app, or AC Unity app), and that's about it. 99.9% of the time, when I have time and want to game, I have access to my consoles and prefer them over a portable.

Nevermind the fact that my big meaty hands don't work well on portables, especially portables with poor user input implementations and ergonomic designs like the Vita.

Edit: Regarding eye sight, I don't need reading glasses (yet), but at our age, some of us already do and some of us will soon, it's just nature taking its course. Whether that will help with a portable, I can't say myself.

Personally, I have a condition known as keratoconus in both eyes, more severe in the right eye, with the situation worsened by a case of dry eye in the right eye also. Keratoconus is where the cornea weakens, resulting in a bulge in the eyeball. In the case of my right eye, it's off-center and severe enough that vision can't be corrected with glasses or soft contact lenses. Hard lenses must be used instead. The next stage of correction being a corneal transplant. Right now I piggy back hard lenses on top of soft lenses for comfort, because without the soft lenses underneath, the dry eye issue often results in the hard lens catching when I blink and gouging into the cornea. But I digress...

The lenses I wear, because the bulge in the right eye being off-center and pushing the contacts off-center, typically results in a slight halo effect in vision. So it doesn't really matter if I'm on portable or console, it's an issue I just have to deal with right now, and I'm so used to it that I often don't even realize I'm dealing with it unless it gets so bad that it blurs my vision and I realize I need to put eye drops in or blink and push the lenses back to center.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I just find consoles so limiting. I can't imagine gaming on anything but a KB+M. I've tried and tried and tried some more, but I just don't like gaming with a controller.

Whifflebat

Oct 25, 2017
42 and I still love portables. 3DS, DS (love my Lite), GBA (love my SP 101), and Vita. Always take one with me when travelling. No issues with small fonts, though the Gameboy Micro is a little tough to see anything on...

ErbilT

Oct 28, 2017
Henderson, NV.
39 years old here. I have a 3DS, Switch, Vita and a Revo K101 for my GBA stuff. Although my eyesight isn't what it used to be, I can still play these consoles with no real issues. Although I don't play as much as I used to, I don't believe it's due to my waning eyesight, but I think it more of an overall disinterest in the platforms.

Now, if I was still living in San Francisco and taking BART everywhere, then I'm sure I'd pick it right back up.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Closing in on my mid-40s, and I still (and always will) love 'em. I have noticed that I can't get quite as close as I want when looking at portable screens (it's worse when I'm wearing glasses). I actually prefer handhelds or having a monitor/TV that is within a few feet since I'm nearsighted. Sitting far away from a TV w/o my glasses is no bueno, so if anything, my traditional console playing has been more limiting than handhelds.

RagManX

Oct 28, 2017
47 and mostly a portable gamer. I have a gaming laptop, but don't get to play much on it. Had to get reading glasses just this year, and I use them with my Vita, N3DS, and Switch (which has never been used docked). Just makes things so much better. I have about a dozen pairs of reading glasses around the house and at the office, so I don't have to carry them with me in the locations I'm most likely to play. Fortunately, my vision is still good enough that I can play without reading glasses if I'm somewhere without them, but I prefer to use them as it makes everything on-screen much sharper.

Purist

Oct 28, 2017
I was heavily into my PSP and later Vita in my 30's, but now I stick to my phone for portable gaming. I'm 43 and love Hearthstone. It just completely sucks my attention away.

At home I still get on PS4 a lot, but mostly for NBA2K18 these days. I've had glasses for years so that's not a problem. It's just less things to carry around. I will admit the controls can't compare to a dedicated portable machine, but Hearthstone is perfect on a touch screen.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I've got a Vita and Switch. Pretty much use them when I fly only. Switch at Home goes into dock (and usually sits for days or even weeks).