• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hope it keeps growing

E2WTm4oXIAQPobS

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's actually far higher than I expected. Great stuff.

Deleted member 2279

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
that's really cool to see officially counted. alas, Lari is right and it's taking most major publishers way too long to adjust to the 21st century.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The male audience/owners are still way louder unfortunately, especially when it comes to the bigger IPs (sports games, COD etc.).

Jul 28, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Exclusionary Rhetoric
I can't believe that's true, I think more women playing would be a good thing but I can't see the split being that high unless they're using some kind of weird definition to get to that figure like, "has access to and has played on a console wholly owned by someone in their household"

As I said, I think it'd be a good thing, I just don't think we're there yet.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I hope this info shows the gaming industry can be more inclusive towards women, this isn't a percentage you can ignore.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I can't believe that's true, I think more women playing would be a good thing but I can't see the split being that high unless they're using some kind of weird definition to get to that figure like, "has access to and has played on a console wholly owned by someone in their household"

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I know as many women into gaming as I do men. They just don't tend to be as vocal - or obsessive - about it.

Coop

Jan 9, 2020
I bought like 30 AAA games in my PS3 and literally 0 had a female lead character, the industry evolved

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally know women who jumped into consoles this previous generation because of stuff like Last of Us and Horizon. Great to see.

Yet 90% of games are made to appeal directly to a male audience.
One would think an easy way to make money is to appeal to untapped demographics, but nah, obviously dudes are just wired to like interactive entertainment and women aren't, let's never try instead.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Things like this remind me of all the awful "we shall investigate why women aren't into games" type of articles in 90s gaming mags:

bSevyEIh.jpg

Thankfully things have changed a lot.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
That's huge! Anecdotally all of my neices and sisters love PlayStation and Nintendo almost equally lol

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
Sorry if I don't explain myself better but what it means a game is targeted to a "male" or "female" audience?

I know women protagonist are important because that means women can identify with. And I know, stories that females can identified with are important

I don't think shoters or action games are necesary male targeted games but I am not informed very well or need a second thought

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Is that really the case? I pretty much only follow female streamers, but they overwhelmingly love Sony's FP output. Particularly anything Naughty Dog, GoW (2018) and Spidey. I also remember that Neil and Bruce said that the original TLoU had a 60/40 split in terms of male/female gamers.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Let me tell y'all why in the 360/PS3 days I switched over to PS3 late gen, then subsequently to PS4
The lack of men screaming abuse down a headset through my tv
Like, so few people on PS3 actually spoke it was a selling point, smaller playerbase n all lol

Sharingan9092

Nov 19, 2020

Yeah or maybe women don't usually play competitive online games as I mostly see men playing. Or maybe they are just not talking on the mic to avoid being harassed, which is sad but understandable.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Sorry if I don't explain myself better but what it means a game is targeted to a "male" or "female" audience?

I know women protagonist are important because that means women can identify with. And I know, stories that females can identified with are important

I don't think shoters or action games are necesary male targeted games but I am not informed very well or need a second thought
To appeal to female audience imo means having not only strong women characters, but represent a female perspective telling stories through that lens, characters that are designed to be identifiable with by women that have agency over the story and not just play second fiddle to the male characters.

Is that really the case? I pretty much only follow female streamers, but they overwhelmingly love Sony's FP output. Particularly anything Naughty Dog, GoW (2018) and Spidey. I also remember that Neil and Bruce said that the original TLoU had a 60/40 split in terms of male/female gamers.
Of course, women like and play all kinds of games, not just "games made for women" which isn't and shouldn't be considered a genre.
But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be bigger strides made in that regard, and having a wider variety of stories being told in the gaming space.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe it. Was surprised all my female cousins had PS4s. All they played though for the most part was GTA online and fortnite.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hopefully a growing proportion of gamers being women will eventually translate to a larger proportion of women deciding to enter the games industry. There's obviously a little lag associated with that trend, but I feel like that's really the long term solution to the game design problems.
I fully agree with you in this.
And not just women but people of color and queer people too.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
To appeal to female audience imo means having not only strong women characters, but represent a female perspective telling stories through that lens, characters that are designed to be identifiable with by women that have agency over the story and not just play second fiddle to the male characters.

AAAs are behind, but indies are great at this. Mae from Night In The Woods was relatable af.