• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Necessary Addendum: So P3D and P5D are out now, along with the preliminary DLC for both games, revealing that the full versions of "Our Moment" and "GROOVY" are actually free DLC. They hadn't mentioned whether the DLC would be free or paid initially, but looking at how things were going for the games, I had assumed they would be paid (and I don't quite understand why they would be DLC at all, with this being the case).

This is a good sign that Atlus hasn't completely lost their minds when it comes to extra content. They'll be releasing free DLC on a weekly basis, too, so that's good.

***​

So the disclaimer here is that we don't know how Atlus will be handling the DLC situation for the inevitable Western releases of Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night and Persona 5 Dancing Star Night.

But, at least in Japan, it's not a good look. Initially there was the fact that it seemed like both games could really be one instead of two full priced, separate products; especially after learning that neither will have a story mode. But whatever. I suppose they're both distinct enough, with their own roster of characters, music, and UI.

But as they continued to announce more and more DLC for the game, it started to look like it was approaching gouging fans. Though, at the same time, most of it is aesthetic DLC for costumes and accessories. They're superficial, and not that important.

But today, a suspicion that had been going for a few weeks now was confirmed, and that is that the full versions of the main themes of the game—"Our Moment" and "GROOVY"—will be paid DLC at launch. The versions in the base game are shortened, "opening" versions of the themes.

That's a bit stupid, and probably going a bit too far with this. There's usually better treatment for DLC in the West than in Japan, so we'll see how Atlus USA handles this, but what they're doing here is kinda blatant.

A Japanese release schedule of the DLC.

Last edited:

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the List for June and July, wtf. How many songs will each of the base games have? Atlus has always been scummy with DLC, so i never buy their DLC.

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the List for June and July, wtf. How many songs will each of the base games have? Atlus has always been scummy with DLC, so i never buy their DLC.
According to the official websites, both P3D and P5D will have 25 songs in the base game each.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
No story no buy. The DLC for Persona 5 was also quite expensive, so that just sealed it.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Not liking the idea of making so many of the cast into DLC. Like wtf.

Also ridiculous to have the main themes as DLC

OP
OP
FluxWaveZ

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, isn't that false?

Regardless, the song DLC you mention is pretty lame.
What do you mean? Neither P3D nor P5D have a story mode, that's been confirmed for a while. What there's going to be is a "Social Link" mode replacement, with unlockable dialogue scenes with the party members. So there will be character moments (though we don't know how many), but there is no full fledged story like P4D had.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is quite a bit ending up as DLC. I'm not terribly miffed however as the extra characters and songs aren't really high up on my favorite lists. The main themes haven't clicked with me yet either, if they ever will.

The things that I am pissed about aren't in the game at all, DLC or otherwise. FeMC, Koromoro, standard versions of some songs.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
After how they handled DLCs in P5 this doesn't really surprise me. I think most fans know what they are getting with these games and they probably don't mind it. (after all Atlus wouldn't continue doing this if people didn't buy them)

As for people that aren't welling to buy the games day 1, I think they should just wait until they release a complete edition down the line.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The more time passes, the more both (one?) of these products seem like bad deals that should be avoided.

The Miku Hatsune games never got this bad and that was sega proper at the helm.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But today, a suspicion that had been going for a few weeks now was confirmed, and that is that the full versions of the main themes of the game—"Our Moment" and "GROOVY"—will be paid DLC at launch. The versions in the base game are shortened, "opening" versions of the themes.
Wait what? Atlus being money hungry doesn't surprise me but this is too far.

Oct 25, 2017
The individual base games have less content each than P4D, and P4D was never that content rich in the first place. Each game has less characters and songs, and a higher proportion of the songs that are included don't have dances.

Other superficial missing stuff includes Personas, and dance stages are a lot more basic, in P4D they had audiences, and were generally more dynamic.

And Our Moment and Groovy being DLC is just absurd.

Last edited:

dabs furiously

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THEYRE SELLING A 7+ YEAR OLD REMIX OF A SONG FROM A VERSION OF A GAME THEY IGNORE LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy, I was considering importing if we don't get a western release on Vita, but it looks like missing out on dlc would mean losing a ton of content this time.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
That sounds really bad. I think I'll just wait until the inevitable "ultimate edition" bundle.

And I won't need to buy Dancing Moon Night in the first place because hey, it still doesn't feature one of the actual protagonists of the game.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
25 tracks per game? That's incredibly incredibly stingy to then have day 1 song dlc. Especially since they can't use the "this is a new genre for them" defense anymore.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
That enourmous amount of DLC songs right after launch isn't exactly inviting.
I plan to get the game,but I do hope the US DLC plan are much better than that.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
First time I read about no story mode since I tried avoiding spoilers. That's really a bummer, Persona Dancing All Night is one of my favourite PSV games, because I liked the package as a whole and went on trying to beat my own personal records after beating the story mode, the emphasis lies in "after beating the story mode".

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
After how they handled DLCs in P5 this doesn't really surprise me. I think most fans know what they are getting with these games and they probably don't mind it. (after all Atlus wouldn't continue doing this if people didn't buy them)

As for people that aren't welling to buy the games day 1, I think they should just wait until they release a complete edition down the line.

Wrap it up. We're done

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Well, this means that I'll either wait for a complete "Definitive" version to come out or if that never happens that I'll buy it when it's 15€ in a sales bin.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand this is pretty bad.

On the other hand ATLUS has me firmly by the balls and I'm probably going to end up buying most of it.

So my apologies for being weak.
I don't know how anyone could play P4D's story and go "ya, I want more of that". I had to force myself through it just for the platinum.

It got a bit repetitive in the middle but overall I enjoyed it. In particular Kanami's section was great IMO. She ended up being a far better character then she probably should have.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about how these two games could've been merged into one package by themselves or with P4D. Then, any future Persona games could be DLC from then on.

I didn't realize it was this bad though.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I did too, and then I realized about 2 hours in that it was never going to live up to the expectations set by the main game.

That's the thing, you had expectations. I felt completely satisfied with Persona 4 Golden, so I knew anything else offered by Atlus USA would be pure fanservice without substance.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So they compose new opening songs for each game... and then they basically leave you with the demo versions in the main game? Lol, Atlus is the worst.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Atlus has been going crazy with DLC. They even put all kinds of stupid and unneeded shit in the Radiant Historia remake. So whoever's buying these, stop doing it!

Seriously. Even if you buy the game, don't buy the DLC, no matter what they're cutting out. Don't encourage them.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh good know that the song I have been searching for for an eternity is called Groovy and will be released as full version. Finally phew, lol. Sorry about off-topic.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, I already knew the DLC situation was ridiculous but I didn't realise they were locking the themes for the games behind dlc as well. I really love a lot of the games that Atlus puts out but it feels like the amount of garbage I have to put up with from them is just continuing to build.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P4D's story mode was stupid and fun, but the game had poor charting and not enough songs. Both of these games seem to have less content than that, even. D:

And I'll never forget that P3 doesnt have all the party members WHERE IS MY DANCING DOGGO ATLUS

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
If I recall correctly, this was also the case with P4D. I bought it all like an idiot. I will probably do the same here lmao.