• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
We've been saying this for five years now and I think I've realized that Professor Trump isn't possible. Part of the appeal of Trump is that he's dumb as bricks and sounds like he's even dumber than that, and no smart person could fake that convincingly.

Exactly.

The dangerous thing isn't a smarter fascist, it's an even dumber one.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
It was certainly shocking and there were many failures. I just see the worst case scenario being more chaos, confusion and undermining US democracy rather than the constitution getting thrown away.
Oh, is that all? Phew, just chaos, confusion and our democracy undermined...explain to me how that's not the very definition of throwing our constitution away?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Next time, it'll be done legally with voter suppression and antidemocratic laws at the state level.

Yes. And not for the first time. GOP gerrymandering and voter suppression have been quite successful.

Now they're looking to go for the kill with "we always win" laws being proposed, that would let state legislatures (which are assured majorities via gerrymandering) override results they don't like.

Too bad that call wasn't audio recorded.

Someone writing notes will just be hand waved away as inaccurate.

I think we're well beyond anyone caring how accurate the notes are. Trump supporters don't just not care if he's doing corrupt shit like this; it's what they now demand from all their elected officials.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
someone younger, smarter and more insidious than trump is watching all this play out and taking notes for use when they become president. i absolutely need to get out of this place..

It's been this amazing pattern to me where it's like a pattern will be "deny 100% that there's any substance at all and this is all fake news" -> "get caught in the act but change story to it being a case where the thing did happen, but there was nothing wrong with it" -> "go back to denying that the thing happened at all." Like if he were accused of personally committing murder, day one would be to state it's 100% false and that he has an airtight alibi for not being at the scene of the crime. Then the next day a surveillance camera unambiguously shows him there pulling the trigger so the story shifts to it being the case where of course he was there and of course he killed them but it was text book self defense. Then the next day different surveillance footage shows the assailant in a less clear manner, we pretend that yesterday's evidence was never released, then we are back to denying that he was ever there and you can ask 100 people and they'll testify he was nowhere near the crime scene.

And then that's the end of it. He wasn't there. It wasn't him. Never mind, it was him but it was all justifiable. No wait, on third thought it wasn't him he definitely wasn't there. On and on and on this goes.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say that, the military would never bend right? At worst you would have had a hostage situation on Jan 6th. It wouldn't mean Trump became king. America is broken no doubt but structures aren't willing to bow to fascism, at least I believe so or enough to make it work.

What happening now is arguably a worse outcome than that; because nobody in power is being held accountable and not only the conservative lawmakers but the majority of the conservative electorate (whether in good faith or bad) are going with the big lie; in other words most Republicans in America now "believe" (believe in quotes because there are demonstrably those whom know it's bullshit but push the narrative for political gain with Trump's cult anyway) the American political system has *already failed* and that they are justified in doing anything and everything to steal power back because the other side is already doing it. This is *extremely* dangerous ideology in a democracy, and on January 6 there were a good number of Republicans who condemned the event but when they saw it was politically advantageous to tow Trump's line they fell right back into line and refused holding anyone accountable. That's when the damage was truly done, and ongoing R efforts to weaken voting laws right now show there is political power and momentum behind this movement; so they continuing to lay the groundwork to undermine the electorate. They are quite literally in some cases already replacing people in positions of power with people who will be loyal next time. I'm really hoping Trump isn't able to run for some reason or other next election because another run at a second term may easily have dire consequences… even if he loses again. The problem is the next election lie, or insurrection, or whatever heinous event he pushes to happen may have even greater support and the system absolutely can fail like any other.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Arrest all republicans. GOP is a terrorist organization! We wouldn't let the president of the taliban run right? Arrest these fuckers and let's tackle issues like global warming and other much more pressing matters ffs

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He can say absolutely anything. If no one punishes him for it, it doesn't matter.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
"trump wasn't that much of a bad guy. he was confused and angry at everything and i found that funny."

watch this be the lasting impression of this dude.

Barius

Jan 2, 2019
New Jersey
We've been saying this for five years now and I think I've realized that Professor Trump isn't possible. Part of the appeal of Trump is that he's dumb as bricks and sounds like he's even dumber than that, and no smart person could fake that convincingly.

You say this like DeSantis isn't exactly that, dude is scary popular for how shit he is.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
"it was just a bunch of idiots"

"they just delayed certification by a few minutes. How is that a coup"

--> these are rightwing talking points. Identify and call this shit out.

These people were armed insurrectionists screaming the n-word and "hang Mike Pence" as they injured and killed Capitol Police in their attempt to breach the US Capitol, which they did. Like, did anyone watch the videos?

Just a bunch of idiots you guys. Yeah Shodan14 I'm calling your ass out.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
re: whether we really need to be more worried about a smart version of Trump or not

Eyewitness to a 1927 Hitler speech:

In his speech, Hitler used vulgar comparisons, tailor-made to the intellectual capacities of his listeners, and he did not shy away from even the cheapest of allusions.

His words and opinions were simply hurled out with dictatorial certainty as if they were unquestionable principles and facts. All this manifests itself in his language as well, which is like something merely expulsed.

This stuff WORKS. The garbled language that makes Trump look like a goddamn simpleton? It means that even the dumbest member of his audience can understand and relate to him on a level that they couldn't to someone more erudite.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
re: whether we really need to be more worried about a smart version of Trump or not

In his speech, Hitler used vulgar comparisons, tailor-made to the intellectual capacities of his listeners, and he did not shy away from even the cheapest of allusions.

His words and opinions were simply hurled out with dictatorial certainty as if they were unquestionable principles and facts. All this manifests itself in his language as well, which is like something merely expulsed.

This stuff WORKS. The garbled language that makes Trump look like a goddamn simpleton? It means that even the dumbest member of his audience can understand and relate to him on a level that they couldn't to someone more erudite.
Yeah.

If you look at Trump and think he talks like a moron, it's because you're not voting for him.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You say this like DeSantis isn't exactly that, dude is scary popular for how shit he is.
DeSantis is too smart to be Trump, which we know because he's smart enough to try and emulate Trump. Someone actually dumb enough to be the next Trump would be out there being absolutely dumb in their own unique way (Marjorie Taor Greene, actually).

DeSantis is unelectable on a national stage anyway because of his coronavirus response. Trump lost because of his and he's way more popular than DeSantis ever will be.

Yes, but Trump is actually a bona fide doofus, not some sort of W Bush act. His brand of charismatic word salad isn't replicated, at least easily, and we know this because we had a whole lot of Trump likes run in 2018 and 2020 and the only one with any real success was Trump (and he lost too).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we lived in a just country, this piece of shit would be behind bars right now.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
"it was just a bunch of idiots"

"they just delayed certification by a few minutes. How is that a coup"

--> these are rightwing talking points. Identify and call this shit out.

These people were armed insurrectionists screaming the n-word and "hang Mike Pence" as they injured and killed Capitol Police in their attempt to breach the US Capitol, which they did. Like, did anyone watch the videos?

Just a bunch of idiots you guys. Yeah Shodan14 I'm calling your ass out.

Thanks for posting. Sometimes you just really need a reminder about how violent that day really was, despite what the Right and their shields want you to believe.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, and what would that have done? Even if you destroy the papers, they can request new ones have do the certification the next day.
There's a process for replacing members of congress though.

31bf8f020ba669116df2c53710791e69.jpg

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yup, Trump desperately, pathetically and illegally grasped at straws to hold on to power.. and failed miserably, just like the coup-ers.

The Congress can't take legal actions under duress. Even killing members of congress doesn't affect the results of the presidential election.
A failed attempt at a coup is not not a coup

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's important and I'm asking if somebody can make a thread about it, I guess you don't care about people being homeless
It's cool that you chose this particular thread about your God Emperor to post it. And not any other thread.

Maybe you could post a not-so-subtle Biden has dementia clip, too.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
It's important and I'm asking if somebody can make a thread about it, I guess you don't care about people being homeless
?

It's a legitimate issue, but wowwwww.

Someone asks you what it has to do with the topic and you accuse them of not caring about homeless people. Self righteous much?

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
When reading about most of the dictators and authoritarian rulers over recent history, I was surprised at just how fucking dumb most of them were. 1984 has given many people a false impression that Big Brother governments are going to be clever, and expertly manipulative, but the truth is that many of them were just blunt idiots like Trump, and that some of the coups they led would look pathetic in retrospect except that they worked.

Trump is a buffoon, but buffoons can be incredibly dangerous, because they just don't give a shit about legal safeguards or decency or history. They use blunt tactics that seem crude and laughable until they finally succeed. Letting these idiots get away with so few consequences is setting a dangerous precedent for our future, I think.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
When reading about most of the dictators and authoritarian rulers over recent history, I was surprised at just how fucking dumb most of them were. 1984 has given many people a false impression that Big Brother governments are going to be clever, and expertly manipulative, but the truth is that many of them were just blunt idiots like Trump, and that some of the coups they led would look pathetic in retrospect except that they worked.

Trump is a buffoon, but buffoons can be incredibly dangerous, because they just don't give a shit about legal safeguards or decency or history. They use blunt tactics that seem crude and laughable until they finally succeed. Letting these idiots get away with so few consequences is setting a dangerous precedent for our future, I think.

Yup. For example, one reason Germany lost WWII is that Hitler fired all the Kaiser's generals who were responsible for his early victories and replaced them with loyal Nazi stooges who were just as dumb and incompetent as he was.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
At least ban the fucker from running from office again if they're too chicken shit to enforce the more pressing laws breached.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit that draft letter. Going to institute a coup of the federal government on an "implied authority" omg (which is bullshit because the constitution doesn't imply shit for State legislatures).

WIthout a doubt, the way in which the coup barely failed highlighted the remaining positions in the government which formed an impediment to complete takeover.

You can bet every one of those has been circled in red on the board. Targets for installing a crony the next time a Republican is president.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
They chose Italy to be the country to sabotage the election? Italy?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Your conspiracy sites and sycophant news sources aren't exactly valid sources, Don.

At least ban the fucker from running from office again if they're too chicken shit to enforce the more pressing laws breached.

They can't. The only way to trigger a vote to ban someone from future office is if a removal is successful after impeachment.