• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks to the updated Edge Browser for the Xbox Series S | X consoles, you can access a vast list of emulators in the browser and you DO NOT need your Xbox to run in developer mode. In this episode we take a closer look at what's possible and how well it performs in practice.

Dec 5, 2017
Developer mode was a really smart move by MS and this continues the trend. Xbox one was never hacked for a reason.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I haven't had a chance to check this out yet but I am very excited. Are there options for N64 emulation through a browser?

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Okay, that's pretty cool.
Can someone with an Xbox Series console try Doom 3 or Tomb Raider in the browser? How do they run?
These sites use free demo assets, not the full games btw, so it should be legal.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Developer mode was a really smart move by MS and this continues the trend. Xbox one was never hacked for a reason.
Sure, if your console is already fairly open, there's no reason to hack it. But not all companies share this philosophy. Nintendo, as one example, wants to lock its hardware down as much as they possibly can. Ironically, I doubt most users who do install homebrew on their Nintendo machines care for much more than exporting save games or other simple things.
Really looking forward to the Deck, as it will probably be the first handheld gaming device for me that doesn't put up bullshit barriers to keep me from doing what I want on the hardware.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I can't see myself fighting ads to play my old games on Java emulators, but the fact this is even possible on a 300 dollar machine is all sorts of amazing.

MVG is the best for this sort of content, thanks for posting OP!

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to the Deck, as it will probably be the first handheld gaming device for me that doesn't put up bullshit barriers to keep me from doing what I want on the hardware.
There are many that do this already. GPD Win 3, Win Max, OneMix GX, Aya Neo.

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
I've been running emulators for years on my Xbox and never activated the dev mode. It was never a requirement

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
There are many that do this already. GPD Win 3, Win Max, OneMix GX, Aya Neo.
You're right, of course, but I did say the first handheld "for me", didn't claim it was the first one at all to be fully open. :p
Also, as a not so minor point, the Deck has a big company behind it that I trust to support the hardware for years, you're getting way more for your money with the Deck and it will be well integrated into the Steam ecosystem from day one.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You don't need to put your Xbox in dev mode to run emulators natively btw, you just need to add you name to the whitelist for the app. There's a thread on it.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Also, as a not so minor point, the Deck has a big company behind it that I trust to support the hardware for years, you're getting way more for your money with the Deck and it will be well integrated into the Steam ecosystem from day one.
Ha. Steam machines say hi.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Ha. Steam machines say hi.
There was never anything under the "Steam Machines" label sold by Valve, nor did they provide any software. But I guess given how much valve had been pushing for that moniker, it's fair to call them out for it.
My point, however stands. Things Valve has shipped, they have supported for years.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see myself fighting ads to play my old games on Java emulators, but the fact this is even possible on a 300 dollar machine is all sorts of amazing.

MVG is the best for this sort of content, thanks for posting OP!
To be clear, this is running through JS and HTML5 canvas not Java.