• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
'People are signed up to enough bloody shit.'

Right on.

I didn't knew that other platforms were marketing ALL THE GAMES which they take 30% are being marketed /s
And yes, there's a cost: 10 to 20€ for each games since they dont allow 3rd party stores (competition amirite). At some point, you pay for the cost of an entire console. That + being so subpar that 2009 Steam shits all over it.

'Cost' isn't only about money anyway. Spending 400€ once every 5-7 years on a console is quite irrelevant to me (let's ignore paid online), what isn't though is having to juggle a dozen different stores, accounts, launchers on a daily basis. Inconvenience and having to deal with crappy, feature-less software from companies I don't want to give my information to and which I can't trust to be still in the PC gaming business 10 years from now is the real cost I'm not comfortable paying.

When did video game journalists become nothing but paid bootlickers.

I feel like there's been a real transition in the last decade or so.

There isn't any money in writing about games anymore (which is actually a shame considering how big this industry has become) so those joints have to hire the absolute bottom of the barrel. In don't think authors like the quoted are getting paid by Epic, I think they're just really unskilled at their job, random folks with no prior experience in, well, anything.

Last edited:

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
'Cost' isn't only about money anyway. Spending 400€ once every 5-7 years on a console is quite irrelevant to me (let's ignore paid online), what isn't though is having to juggle a dozen different stores, accounts, launchers on a daily basis. Inconvenience and having to deal with crappy, feature-less software from companies I don't want to give my information to and which I can't trust to be still in the PC gaming business 10 years from now is the real cost I'm not comfortable paying.
Agreed, I don't want to waste my life because publishers want a bigger cut while charging me more money, fuck that.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the one that needs to use my brain. This may be competition that people don't like, but Steam and Epic are obviously competitors in the marketplace. Posting otherwise is nonsense.

they ain't competing for customers, they competing for publishers and developers and so far customer's are not happy.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could someone please explain to me how any of this is remotely anti-consumer? You can play the same game on the same machine and at this point for a cheaper price. That's good for the consumer, good for the dev/publisher, and the competition is good for the PC marketplace. And people that bought it on Steam will still get it on Steam. It looks to me like the only people losing out here is Valve, and the last thing I'm sure Gabe and his knives require is people conflating something being bad for Steam as being bad for PC gaming.
It's not cheaper.(more expensive actually in many cases). Yes its absolutely fucking anti-consumer. They've literally paid to remove all options from me and from all stores I could buy it from.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely difficult to tell a joke vs actual stupid shit people say, I also thought you were a muppet and had no idea it was a joke. /s is always a good idea lol.
For future reference, "hyper toxic computer cowboy" is basically a PCera meme at this point. Anyone who says it is almost certainly joking.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this guy is forgetting something. Nobody needs Metro. That post is the apex of entitlement.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exodus looks decent so I'll be disappointed a little bit, but on to other quality games!

Yep. When a game is surrounded by shit like this i don't even care anymore. It goes to the bottom of the list and maybe someday i'll take a look at it again. Too much good stuff out there. Yay actual competition.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Come on now. You know full well that a) the Windows Store is still a technical mess and b) there is a lot of resistance against Microsoft's UWP platform. Pretending like people are refusing to use it because it's not Steam is just arguing in bad faith.
I don't know about you, but I personally love to sometimes having to reinstall my entire operating system because the game store refuses to download a game or decides to redownload it a few times over and over.

Who wouldn't want that? Everyone who is a hater, that's who!

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
The Microsoft Store has a lot of the features Epic's store is currently missing, including really good game sharing functionality, good refund policies, built-in recording functionality, reviews, etc, and yet some people will refuse to use it.

We've had dozens of topics here on Era covering why the majority of pc gamers won't use the windows store. You're just trolling now.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Great video by Jim. Of course that's still not going to stop the flood of ignorant people claiming this is beneficial competition.

He's probably right about the boycot. Although I have a hunch people will wait for the Steam release rather than buy off Epic.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about you, but I personally love to sometimes having to reinstall my entire operating system because the game store refuses to download a game or decides to redownload it a few times over and over.

Who wouldn't want that? Everyone who is a hater, that's who!

I've never been able to keep Windows Store games working for long, despite a lot of troubleshooting. I did a reinstall once at Microsoft's recommendation but never again.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
That argument is such a bullshit. It's only a fault of people who decided to sign a deal with Epic. If game will bomb on PC, thats on them. People have full rights to boycott Exodus.

Official Response from 4A Games

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Developer statement is legit. This is also official statement from Twitter

The recent decision to move Metro Exodus from Steam to the Epic Game Store was made by Koch Media / Deep Silver alone.

The recent comments made by a member of the 4A Games development team do not reflect Deep Silver's or 4A Games' view on the future of the franchise. They do reflect the hurt and disappointment of a passionate individual who has seen what was previously nothing but positive goodwill towards his work turn to controversy due to a business decision he had no control over. We respectfully ask that any and all valid feedback over this decision is directed at Koch Media / Deep Silver, and not the developers at 4A Games.

The future release strategy of the Metro series lies with Koch Media / Deep Silver. Our decision to partner with Epic Games was based on the goal of investing in the future of the series and our development partner at 4A Games. We have every intention of continuing this franchise, and a PC version will always be at the heart of our plans.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed that it was the opinion of one person and not the position of the company?
People were claiming it might be fake and that this guy wasn't a dev. That's the whole reason why we have unconfirmed in the title.

We always knew that if it was true, it was just one angry developer not talking for the whole company.

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Koch/THQ for that "Hey, leave the devs alone they had nothing to do with it. If you want to yell at somebody on Twitter, at least yell at us" line
I can respect that.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
oKmztYN.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Kinda curious to me that Epic pitched their store as seeking to "advance the cause of all developers", and yet here apparently the developer had "no control over" over this decision.

I hope the individual dev speaking their mind doesn't get fired or anything, but this whole thing is a mess. Deep Silver should be reflecting on how their decision and communication has squandered so much goodwill.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
All the complaining about Epic Store, but has it been confirmed that these games are lifetime exclusives or just launching there first?

Honestly, the Epic complaining is peanuts compared to when Steam was in it's first year.

Holy hell, you would have thought that Valve was trying to kill PC gaming. And while it did kill resale of PC games, it didn't kill the industry.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Why don't Valve offer the same terms as Epic, but you only get the same level as support as the Epic Launcher provides? So no access to cloud saves or any of those consumer friendly options, just a barebones experience.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the Epic complaining is peanuts compared to when Steam was in it's first year.

Holy hell, you would have thought that Valve was trying to kill PC gaming. And while it did kill resale of PC games, it didn't kill the industry.

What killed resale of PC games was serial keys + no-cd.

Why don't Valve offer the same terms as Epic, but you only get the same level as support as the Epic Launcher provides? So no access to cloud saves or any of those consumer friendly options, just a barebones experience.

Because overall, it'd hurt the ecosystem they established.
"Steam offers these features... Except for this game... not for this game... This game support this but not this..."
And let's be honest: The 12% cut isn't sustainable. It's not sustainable if you want to grow a platform in term of feature. It's not sustainable if you want to cultivate storefront competition.

The superficial opinion does have a moderate grain of truth to it. At its heart, even if the Epic Store implements all the missing functionality -- and it seems to implementing that stuff very quickly and aggressively -- a lot of people will still be upset because they're being forced to use something that isn't Steam.

The Microsoft Store has a lot of the features Epic's store is currently missing, including really good game sharing functionality, good refund policies, built-in recording functionality, reviews, etc, and yet some people will refuse to use it.

Because Microsoft Store is a huge piece of crap with a forced, inferior format that is UWP... And that Microsoft doesn't deserve to compete in the PC market anymore after GFWL which was closed in 2014 btw.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Updated Thread Title and Added Threadmark for Official Response from 4A Games.

Thanks for letting us know so we could update things fast!

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Valve would also have to put up an unknown amount of money up to the Dev/Publisher, because let's be honest this launch exclusivity wasn't done for free.