• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
That Epic money hat is supposed to cover lost sales. Not my fault if Deep Silver doesn't treat 4A fairly in this deal.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt many people will boycott the game but of course it will sell less. Some more casual gamers aren't even probably aware that something like Epic Store exists and they are only on Steam.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Updated Thread Title. It is difficult to confirm the authenticity of this currently. Instead of locking the thread and waiting for news, we will simply mark the thread as unconfirmed currently and see how the discussion plays out.
I see very little discussion value in this thread. It's totally baseless and is just going to illicit a bunch of drive by shit posts about a topic that's already being discussed, not to mention all the ire focused at the devs when they're not the ones who made the original decision.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, people will inevitably pirate games no matter what but I feel like all the stuff going on around Metro and the Epic store is just going to put a bigger target on the back of that game to get it cracked and get pirated copies out there maybe quicker than it otherwise would have been.

I doubt many people will boycott the game but of course it will sell less. Some more casual gamers aren't even probably aware that something like Epic Store exists and they are only on Steam.
Thats sort of the great question mark with the Epic Games store, I think. Maybe it was that earlier interview with the SteamSpy guy, I can't recall, but the point has been made how so many Fortnite players don't have Steam installed at all. But it seems a leap in logic to think that just cause a Fortnite player has the Epic launcher that they'll automatically convert to a paying consumer for any of these games that Epic is gobbling up as exclusives to their launcher, which seems to be what they're trying to do. But why should they expect that at all?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
2sotbc.jpg
That sacrifice line makes me think of lord farquaad sending men to die & claiming it's a sacrifice hes willing to make. im pretty sure Epic is more than happy for Metro to bomb to promote their platform.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well 4A, maybe you shouldn't limit yourself then, to exclusively sell your game in a store nobody cares about.
Just a thought.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Oh well, we still have S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 to look forward to.

Well, maybe. I was under the impression that announcement way back was just made to find funding interest in the game and didn't represent any work actually having been done. I don't know if there is any money behind the game yet.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The cut Steam takes should be smaller honestly, but that goes for all of digital, digital games should have never been $60 but it is what it is now & the 30% cut is the standard.
The truth here is no one is bashing Sony or Microsoft 30% cut because they are afraid of the backlash from the big corps, but Valve is a small private company, so they can bash them all they want & seem like heroes for sticking up for the indie devs, when it's just to promote their own store.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
Well, maybe. I was under the impression that announcement way back was just made to find funding interest in the game and didn't represent any work actually having been done. I don't know if there is any money behind the game yet.
There probably is. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series have been a success. The only problem is that the majority of the original developers whom have worked on the previous titles have since left the company. I am wondering how that would affect the game.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
There's always other games, you can't try and blackmail people when there's so many games released each year that are GOTY material and everyone has massive backlogs.

Unless it's some iconic name like diablo or something, your game won't be missed.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
It will sell well. I'm pretty sure most have zero qualms buying off the Epic Store especially the people in areas who now have regional pricing that Steam never gave them. Its equivalent to refusing to buy a car you want because it doesn't have tinted windows.

Azull

Oct 30, 2017
So they do a last minute exclusivity deal before the release of the game and then "threaten" that if it gets boycotted they won't bring any future Metro games to PC?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It will sell well. I'm pretty sure most have zero qualms buying off the Epic Store especially the people in areas who now have regional pricing that Steam never gave them. Its equivalent to refusing to buy a car you want because it doesn't have tinted windows.
Not everyone is North American though & there is now no cheap 3rd party keys, on top of Chinese players now can't play this & Australians get screwed on pricing etc.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
You do realize that Epics regional pricing is worse than Steam's right? Having to cover the payment processing fees because in the words of one Tom Sweeney "That's not covered by our 12% cut" is a laughable excuse while also throwing shade at third world countries ... like half of Europe lol

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I certainly couldn't blame someone in China for doing so, considering it's literally impossible to buy the game in any way in China until it comes to Steam.

They probably could buy it on consoles tho. If I have to wait for a dragon quest 11 localisation, it still wouldn't be an excuse for piracy. It never is.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
User warned: Driveby trolling
Reset doesn't care if it's unconfirmed. It could be the fucking janitor at 4A for all we care, we want outrage god dammit!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Way to ruin all the goodwill the Metro series has been getting from PC gamers in one fell swoop, 4A. Great job.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If this is real, I might get a quick refund on my Steam pre-order. What an incredibly shitty thing to say.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
They probably could buy it on consoles tho. If I have to wait for a dragon quest 11 localisation, it still wouldn't be an excuse for piracy. It never is.
Thats a pathetic comparison, comparing learning a language to changing country just to be able to buy a game.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Remove game from the most popular store on PC.
Remove game from the most feature rich and straight up best client on PC.
Try and guilt trip customers and call em pirates.

As far as i´m concerned i hope the game fails on PC and they leave the Platform.
BrYzXPX.gif

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
If the sequel isn't released and I can't get it on PC, it will have exactly zero effect on my life.

Zero.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have my copy pre-ordered for PS4. For anyone who wanted to play on PC but has decided against it but also owns a PS4 or Xbox One, I suggest buying the game for the console and trading it in when completed. It would actually cost you less money to do that than it would to wait a year for the Steam release. It's also about the game itself. I look at it like this - if you really want to play the game, it shouldn't matter how you play it as long as you play it at launch.

THQ Nordic should eliminate the Deep Silver name and bring them under the THQ Nordic name and let Koch Media run the things that have nothing to do with video games. What's the point in even owning something if you don't control it and run it? Said this last year when THQ Nordic acquired Koch Media and in turn Deep Silver but they decided to keep them running separately. Obviously, that wasn't a good idea.

Back to Metro Exodus, passing on the game just because of the timed exclusive deal isn't going to help 4A Games which is an excellent developer and the franchise itself which is a superb stealth, survival, exploration, story driven FPS.

Really wish that "gamers" would stop caring about all the business aspects and bullshit that comes along with it and just care about the games themselves and if said games are good or better and worth buying and playing through.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
what regions are these

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, jokes on them. Trying to hold the game hostage on the shitty Epic Game Store and threatening gamers next version won't be on PC if it doesn't sale well there. Good riddance, don't let the door kick you on the way out.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Video game companies trying to guilt consumers into buying their products is such a weird marketing tactic. I am not aware of movie companies saying "preorder Fast and Furious tickets or we won't make anymore!"

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What other industries pull this nonsense? Who thinks this is effective?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
And if they don't have a console? Will they have to spend 300 dollars+ to buy a PS4 or Xbox One so that they can play one game?