• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/503169639

*Take with a BIG grain of salt, but I thought it was thread worthy since the images are so high graphic fidelity*

It seems it's called Azel Resurrection and it will be a reimagining of Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Saturn.
From the post :

My friend at Sega sent me this yesterday with some infos.

- Will be a reimagining of Saga, like FF7R.
- Will keep the same combat system, but will improve controls, camera and UI.
- Some fights will be huge, like with the one against the Guardian Dragon.
- Will not only be able to move around sideways around enemies, but also on top and under them.
- Dragon Bosses will have weak points hidden under their armors. Edge will need to crack the armor to reveal those weak points.
- No release date has been decided yet.

I'm a huuuge fan of Saga, so seing this kind of rumor to come up with images of that quality is making my heart race to a beat !

1586694175374.jpg

1586694200287.jpg

1586694263862.jpg

Last edited:

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those games I've always wanted to play, but I never owned a Saturn.

Would love to check it out.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Who is going to provide a FFVIIR-like budget for a Panzer Dragoon game in this day and age? Sega clearly doesn't care about the IP this much.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
As much as I would love this to be true, I have to say bullshit as it seems unlikely Sega care enough about the brand as the remakes were farmed out to small development teams with litle input from Sega.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I need it, no added bloat, hopefully, the side quests are already perfect and the game is paced just right.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Sega handling it without Forever Entertainment?

I don't have much confidence in the rumor but plz be Sega

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find anything with reverse image search, but I know this is a lie for sure. Sega barely cares about anything, much less remaking an obscure 90s RPG.

I never got to play it though, so I would Day 1 this if it actually happened.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I once fell for Panzer Dragoon Genos trailer. I will not be fooled again.

As a Panzer Dragoon fan, I rememeber watching this trailer and getting all giddy like a school girl, only for my heart to get crushed as if a semi ran over it.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Pictures are good yes but we already saw more impressive here and there, fakers can be really good (and cruel) nowadays.

Would be cool though.

OP
OP
Xshade90

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
I doubt it will be Forever Entertainement, though. The Remake scored a 80 metacritic user score and it sold more than what was planned. I wouln't believe it normally, but it might just take that to make Sega realised that a remake of sega could be profitable!

OP
OP
Xshade90

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
If I remember correctly, an interview with forever entertainement said that they have signed for Zwei, but that a saga Remake would maybe be handled by another team.

OP
OP
Xshade90

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I doubt it will be Forever Entertainement, though. The Remake scored a 80 metacritic user score and it sold more than what was planned. I wouln't believe it normally, but it might just take that to make Sega realised that a remake of sega could be profitable!
Metacritic's user score is always all over the place, the remake got a 63 from critics

It's hard to say exactly how much it sold when their press release was essentially "it's made more money than it cost to develop"

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am living for the fact that it is 2020 and we are getting god damned Panzer Dragoon rumors.

Even if it is fake, I am happy, because I am starved for more Panzer Dragoon. Day One if this ends up being real.

OP
OP
Xshade90

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Metacritic's user score is always all over the place, the remake got a 63 from critics

It's hard to say exactly how much it sold when their press release was essentially "it's made more money than it cost to develop"

Yeah, for sure, we'll wait for real numbers here, but I hope it gives at most some confidence on Sega to remake a Saturn classic like this one.

Xia

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Reimagining does not mean that it will have same budget. It means it will will be remade and have same story, bosses etc but made new, like with the Scorpion boss from FFVII Remake.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious about how much work would be needed to make PDS into a modern AAA/AA game. I remember it was 4 discs on the Saturn, but it wasn't a long game at all - 20-25 hours or so with sidequesting.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i think the reviews were a bit harsh. Panzer Dragoon used to be a premier franchise. Those days are long gone. You cant measure the standards of this release with what PD has been in the Saturn or even Xbox days. I believe they made a good game for what type of budget they had and the artstyle matches the style of the concept art. Thats about what we can expect at this point. Id even say that the graphics are really good and the game is great to play. Thats pretty good for a 20 $ eshop game.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm curious about how much work would be needed to make PDS into a modern AAA/AA game. I remember it was 4 discs on the Saturn, but it wasn't a long game at all - 20-25 hours or so with sidequesting.
Yeah I played it earlier this year and beat the main story in 13 hours
i think the reviews were a bit harsh. Panzer Dragoon used to be a premier franchise. Those days are long gone. You cant measure the standards of this release with what PD has been in the Saturn or even Xbox days. I believe they made a good game for what type of budget they had and the artstyle matches the style of the concept art. Thats about what we can expect at this point. Id even say that the graphics are really good and the game is great to play. Thats pretty good for a 20 $ eshop game.
I think complaints go well beyond the visuals (visuals will always be up for interpretation either way). There's core issues with how the game functions like the dragon constantly bobbling around which is not only distracting but also pushes your hitbox all over the place, the cursor also doesn't layer properly and and will sit ontop of your dragon rather than existing in a 3D plane

The core design of Panzer Dragoon carries it but when the original exists without these issues I personally wouldn't call the remake great

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

the base game's areas weren't very large, so i'd imagine they'd expand on size slightly, need to record lots of new lines of dialogue to be in the panzer language instead of Japanese, reorchestrated OST.... tons of work.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

It's a pretty small game. A lot of the reason for 4 discs was probably that it was fully voiced, which was very impressive back then.