• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalle

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Prague, CZ
Internet anonymity allows people to really show how sick they are. When you meet these people in person they wouldn't behave like this because society subjects you. You just don't behave like a scum because you would go to jail or be put to shame. Messageboards like these are places where people can articulate their cancerous desires. What is worse, in this society you find a lot of people thinking this way. And that is a fact of society, we will never be same and internet anonymity is a tool to show the worst aspects of difference.

Oct 31, 2017
Internet anonymity allows people to really show how sick they are. When you meet these people in person they wouldn't behave like this because society subjects you. You just don't behave like a scum because you would go to jail or be put to shame. Messageboards like these are places where people can articulate their cancerous desires. What is worse, in this society you find a lot of people thinking this way. And that is a fact of society, we will never be same and internet anonymity is a tool to show the worst aspects of difference.

Yes exactly. And what makes it especially bad is, the more vile and repugnant a view/stance/opinion is in a place like that, the more reception it receives with little to no repercussion. Extreme, shocking vulgarity is rewarded and promoted because that's naturally what the discourse becomes dominated by.

My former buddy tried to be like "Anonymity and little-to-no moderation makes for the best discussion platform". Which I found asinine and I really interpreted as "I like to be a complete shitheel in the company of other complete shitheels and not have to feel bad about it".

Oct 31, 2017
The alt right and radicalization of so many young men in a nutshell. That also includes moderates who day in and day out complain about everything being "too PC."

It makes me simultaneously very angry and very sad. As someone who lives in the epicenter of White Privilege Racism + Ignorance, U.S.A., I've come to see a lot of former people I used to be more accepting of, way more negatively. It's like as if people's mild, bad traits have been blown up and magnified while I've also become far more hyper-aware at just how those that are leveraging these platforms and ideas, use disingenuous arguments and irony to constantly keep the balance of power during conversations in flux.

They've become radicalized, and in a lot of ways, I have too. It's terrible, because you can't compromise and reason with those who choose to live in self-curated realities bound by opinion passed as fact.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Sorry but does that message says? I don't go to 4chan, I was there one time and in some gaming "sub" was some pretty fucking gross gore of someone getting axed into head. I hate this sort of stuff so I am not putting myself out there to investigate. I am scared of that page. Please understand, I have GAD, for me is chance to get panic attack from it. And you don't want that.... Thanks in advance.

And sorry if the message was already posted, I just curious, but do not have time to read whole thread. So please forgive for asking and thanks in advance.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but does that message says? I don't go to 4chan, I was there one time and in some gaming "sub" was some pretty fucking gross gore of someone getting axed into head. I hate this sort of stuff so I am not putting myself out there to investigate. I am scared of that page. Please understand, I have GAD, for me is chance to get panic attack from it. And you don't want that.... Thanks in advance.

And sorry if the message was already posted, I just curious, but do not have time to read whole thread. So please forgive for asking and thanks in advance.
It's in the OP.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017

Try post #1 . It's all there.

Oh, Veggen already pointed it out.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

And this is why eventually anonymity has to go away on the internet. As the internet becomes more and more prevalent and important to daily life people need to be held responsible for actions online just as they would offline. And I'm all fucking for it.